HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far

Closed Thread

Old
10-15-2013, 12:18 AM
duul

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
We're supposed to be a scoring juggernaut. lordy know's we've accumulated enough top draft pick talent. Yet its one problem area when all of Smyth, Gordon, Hemsky, Joensuu, Arcobello are all playing better than the number 1 pick kids and the legendary Eberle.

This clubs production is upside down right now and especially in terms of goal scoring.
Replacement I don't think you understand that it's not possible to have all 4 lines scoring at the current pace our secondary scoring is.

If that's the case we would be averaging roughly 8-9 goals every game.

We are 4th in goals right now, there's nothing to worry about. Teams are going to keep keying in on our top 6 juggernaut offence like usual, and instead of getting shut out often we now have other players who can score too! There's nothing to complain about here. There's a reason there is a pretty steady GPG average in the league, and we are not going to double that somehow.

Old
10-15-2013, 12:21 AM
Edonator

vCash: 500
It's only been 6 games so far, and this is probably as low as the Oilers can get. The same problems that everybody saw in the off season are showing up again. At least there is that luxury of having the parts needed to fix what's wrong. Lots of teams don't have the same benefit.

Edmonton have the same problem Vancouver do. Try to figure out what you want to do and go in that direction. If you're still rebuilding, then ship off the Hemsky's off the team, if you're going in, strengthen the team and start using some assets to get in legitimate players.

Not knowing what direction the team is going in is frustrating for us fans. Whoever we cheer for.

Old
10-15-2013, 12:34 AM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Positives:
- His style fits our team. We have outshot our opponent in basically every game so far.. the breaks haven't been there.
- Love the ballsy decisions like pulling the goalie with 4 minutes left.

Negatives:
- Scratching Yak, playing Smyth
- Our record
- I feel like he's gotten away from some of the things he had been saying before. Like the aggressive PK, I haven't seen it at all yet. The compete hasn't been there for the most part of the year, yet he continues to say he was ok with some of the performances.

I'm giving it time but he hasn't been nearly as good as advertised. I'm still pissed about the whole Yak thing. Give him some ****ing minutes with skilled guys, cause that's what he needs to thrive in. You're setting him up for failure, Dallas. Not to mention we have to listen to all these idiots on HF tell us he's a bust or he's going to bolt for the KHL.

Old
10-15-2013, 12:34 AM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Aimar View Post
Its not Hall that needs to be benched its Justin Schultz. All the people going on about the double standard for Yakupov due being a euro, or whatever, will actually have something to point at if Justin Schultz isn't scratched when Grebeshkov or Larsen draw in. Schultz is BRUTAL. Every argument made for scratching Yakupov applies to Schultz as well. If Eakins doesn't sit Schultz then he is indeed full of ****.
Eakins loves Schultz. He looks like Niedemeyer when he moves the puck. Alas, he's also horrible positionally and possibly the weakest player in the whole NHL.

Old
10-15-2013, 12:36 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Yak has only played 4 games. Hall is a slow starter (although, he's looked absolutely awful). Eberle has looked better last couple games.

Again I ask, how does fourth in scoring in the league point to a problem with scoring? I feel like if you're 4th in GF and 30th in GA that the problem can be pinpointed to one specific area of the game. Now whether it's defending or goaltending, or a combination of both (it's this) is a different debate.
My point is that offense is this team's calling card. It has to be. We have three number one overall draft picks among our forwards. If you score a maximum of two goals in half of your games, then consistent offense is indeed a problem--I'm sorry. The lack of consistent goal production so far this season is a legitimate issue. We're 1-5-1 on the season so far. This ship has to right itself soon, or this will be the eighth consecutive season out of the playoffs. None of the teams ahead of us are going to be looking back, if the players on this team don't turn it around in short order.

I'm pleased with our bottom six too, but my point is that we're not getting consistent offense from the players who should be bringing a high level offensive game. Just an observation.

Old
10-15-2013, 12:42 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
My point is that offense is this team's calling card. It has to be. We have three number one overall draft picks among our forwards. If you score a maximum of two goals in half of your games, then consistent offense is indeed a problem--I'm sorry. The lack of consistent goal production so far this season is a legitimate issue. We're 1-5-1 on the season so far. This ship has to right itself soon, or this will be the eighth consecutive season out of the playoffs. None of the teams ahead of us are going to be looking back, if the players on this team don't turn it around in short order.

I'm pleased with our bottom six too, but my point is that we're not getting consistent offense from the players who should be bringing a high level offensive game. Just an observation.
We are 1-4-1 and goal scoring is not a problem we have 9 players on pace for over 55 points. its goaltending and defensive play that are killing us.

Old
10-15-2013, 12:43 AM
tiger_80

Quote:

Fact of the matter is even the best offensive teams do not score 5 goals every game (Pittsburgh scored 3 twice, 4 once, and 5 twice this season). At the end of the day you gotta be able to win a few games when your best players get shut down--tough thing to do when you give up 4-6 goals every game).

Old
10-15-2013, 12:44 AM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
I know hindsight is 20/20 but it was so important for this year's team have a good start I wish Eakins would have used the training camp to get his lines set and let the players gel.

Instead of a bunch of "tryouts" for guys who are clearly not going to make the opening night line-up.

Now Eakins has to mix-up the lines and the players have to find their games and gel with real points on the line.

I know it goes against standard practice but this ****** start may have been avoided by using the pre-season to get prepared for winning rather than finding our way during the start of the regular season.

**** tryouts. Get the team ready to win before the games count.

Old
10-15-2013, 01:49 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
We are 1-4-1 and goal scoring is not a problem we have 9 players on pace for over 55 points. its goaltending and defensive play that are killing us.
My issue is the lack of consistency. Goaltenders have to stop pucks, yes, and offensive forwards have to score goals consistently. Hall, Eberle, and Hemsky make more money combined than our entire defensive corps. They're well paid for their production, yet they're completely nonexistent some games.

When you score two goals or less in a game, you are probably not going to win. It has happened in 3 of 6 games so far this season. That has to improve to develop a winning record. It's just reality.

I think the kids are capable and talented--perhaps we're overrating them because they're ours--but they're not scoring consistently, which is a current issue for us. Young players tend to be inconsistent, sure, but this whole team needs to buck up and play every night, if it intends to make the playoffs. Your best players have to be your best players.

It's not as obvious as a goaltender not stopping pucks consistently, for sure, but it is important that everyone does their job night-in and night-out. You can't legitimately blame everything on the goaltenders all the time. LeBarbera wasn't the issue tonight.

Christ, the Flames don't have half the talent in their line up that the Oilers do, but at least they show up every night and play as a team.

Old
10-15-2013, 01:57 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

PPG players don't score points every single game. It comes in bunches, sometimes you don't score for a few games. I wouldn't point the finger at the young guys yet, it's only been a few games. Eberle, RNH, maybe Hall will probably all be around a point per game once the season is over with.

Old
10-15-2013, 02:55 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
PPG players don't score points every single game. It comes in bunches, sometimes you don't score for a few games. I wouldn't point the finger at the young guys yet, it's only been a few games. Eberle, RNH, maybe Hall will probably all be around a point per game once the season is over with.
I guess I'm frustrated that Washington claimed their second win of the season against us. It was over in the second period, and it wasn't even close.

On the season, Hall is -7, Hemsky is -8, and Nugent-Hopkins is -9. The three worst plus-minuses on the team. Our most talented players are getting owned right now. Until that changes, our team's fortunes won't. Our best players need to consistently be our best players. If they're not scoring goals, they can't be bleeding them.

Old
10-15-2013, 03:43 AM
rboomercat90

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyb View Post
Eakins reminds me of another rookie coach the Oilers had in 94-95,George Burnett. He didn't last long coaching a terrible team that played with no emotion and I'm seeing the same type energy on this team.
George Burnett was the first thing I thought of when the Oilers announced they were hiring a rookie coach from the AHL. He has inherited such a mess here that it's probably way too soon to be making that type of a comparison. These kids have been taught that losing doesn't carry on consequences for the last three years and that individual, selfish play was okay too. Not only that but they were rewarded with handsome contracts as well. It could take a while to break these bad habits, that is if it isn't too late already.

Old
10-15-2013, 03:48 AM
AlienWorkShop
No Ben! No!

How has Will Acton looked?

Eakins loved him with the Marlies and he certainly was a good role player at that level, but I'm was surprised to see he has recruited his pet project to the NHL...

Old
10-15-2013, 04:02 AM
OiledUp

Quote:
I guess I'm frustrated that Washington claimed their second win of the season against us. It was over in the second period, and it wasn't even close.

On the season, Hall is -7, Hemsky is -8, and Nugent-Hopkins is -9. The three worst plus-minuses on the team. Our most talented players are getting owned right now. Until that changes, our team's fortunes won't. Our best players need to consistently be our best players. If they're not scoring goals, they can't be bleeding them.
Yep, your top players have to be your top players, if they aren't their TOI needs to be cut until they are. Tbh we haven't seen much of tough guy Eakins accountability thus far in terms of cutting ice time and scratching underperformers.

The good thing with our horrific goaltending is that the mental lapses and low percentage plays of our top talents is being brutally exposed. Hard for a guy like Hall to pretend he's arrived as a player when he's directly causing several goals against with clumsy plays.
Same goes for J.Schultz pathetic defense, RNHs sloppy puck management and D zone coverage, Ebs lackluster dangles, Yaks unfocused positioning and shooting.

We'll likely get better when it comes to the win column, as bad as our goalie tandem is there's no way they'll put up the numbers they are right now and our skill players will get more puck luck eventually, my hope is that the coach is good enough to use these breakdowns to actually teach these guys how to become an actual winner in this league, not just a guy who puts up points and makes thte highlite reel from time to time.

Too soon to tell if Eakins got what it takes, doesn't look superb tus far but way early. Especially since this is a very difficult group to coach. So far in their careers they've been to coaches what KFC is to chickens.

Btw. One thing I've never understood is the talk about draft pedigree like it matters. Why? It's a nice little recognition when a player is 18 but as soon as the draft is over it's completely irrelevant. It's all about how you perform on the NHL ice. Being a number 1 or first round pick means absolutely nothing in the NHL. You've proved nothing. You've accomplished nothing. I guess someone should tell our stars that.

Old
10-15-2013, 04:09 AM
apachekeith

Pretty tough to judge a coach when his goalies can't stop anything. Circumstances beyond his control.

Old
10-15-2013, 09:36 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienWorkShop View Post
How has Will Acton looked?

Eakins loved him with the Marlies and he certainly was a good role player at that level, but I'm was surprised to see he has recruited his pet project to the NHL...
Looks like a decent 4th line center. He's winning draws, has a bit of an edge, plays PK and scored one last night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apachekeith View Post
Pretty tough to judge a coach when his goalies can't stop anything. Circumstances beyond his control.
Pretty much. I said in the Yak thread that this team is playing better. He is getting offense out of Smyth, Arco and Gordon, no one really thought that would happen. Hemsky is playing his best. But simply put goal-tending is letting us down.

The PK needs to be better, but then again people loved seeing stars on the PK and that doesn't seem to be working.

Old
10-15-2013, 09:41 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
The PK needs to be better, but then again people loved seeing stars on the PK and that doesn't seem to be working.
Seems to be more of a system issue than personnel. Lots of quality chances from the slot, lots of blown coverage, very poor gap coverage, no active sticks and good god, are they being told to sprawl to the ice at every opportunity?

Old
10-15-2013, 09:48 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Seems to be more of a system issue than personnel. Lots of quality chances from the slot, lots of blown coverage, very poor gap coverage, no active sticks and good god, are they being told to sprawl to the ice at every opportunity?
Eakins said we'd be playing more aggressive than we've ever seen. I noticed a lot of teams are more aggressive, but if we are going to have new faces on the PK is that really the system we should be trying?

Old
10-15-2013, 09:58 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Eakins said we'd be playing more aggressive than we've ever seen. I noticed a lot of teams are more aggressive, but if we are going to have new faces on the PK is that really the system we should be trying?
The PK looked extremely passive to me last night. They were giving guys all kinds of time to pick a spot or find a lane.

Old
10-15-2013, 10:18 AM
OntOilFan

He seems to have addressed a couple of the chronic problems in faceoffs and SOG - but overall I'm concerned. Of course, this is still early, but my first impressions:

Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle are having terrible starts. Not only are they not scoring, but they aren't creating. The top line, as a whole, has been basically brutal all year. Why? Who knows. But he better figure it out.

Nail Yakupov. Not much more needs to be said here. Starts leading goal scorer on a brutal scoring line and then benches him when he doesn't score. Bad asset management here.

Team defence. A total joke, really. This isn't ALL Eakins, as Steve Smith has been sewering our d-corps for a number of years now, but this team as a collective is soft, scrambly and completely disorganized.

Special teams. The PP doesn't look quite as dynamic as last year, but the PK has been abysmal. Keep in mind Eakins really pumped his PK scheme going into the season. It's been a total flop thus far.

Positives: He's found a decent second line that is producing.

Old
10-15-2013, 11:50 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
The PK looked extremely passive to me last night. They were giving guys all kinds of time to pick a spot or find a lane.
Being aggressive works against the less skilled teams but when you have supremely talented players against you, it falls apart. Subban and Ovechkin messed up our PK shape (even just their presence).

Old
10-15-2013, 12:06 PM
decma

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Again, they are tied for FOURTH in the NHL in goals for.

FOURTH.

It's pretty difficult to logically determine that a 28th place team that is 4th in scoring is 28th due to scoring.
They have played more games than Ana, Cgy, Col, Mtl, NYI, StL, and TB. In goals scored per game, Edm is 11th, behind those teams as well as Pit, SJ, and Tor. They are 6th in the west.

SJ 4.80
Stl 4.75
Pit 4.00
Tor 3.83
Ana 3.60
Cgy 3.60
Col 3.60
TB 3.60
Mtl 3.40
NYI 3.20
Edm 3.17

11th in the league and 6th in the West isn't bad, but for a team with the defensive deficiencies of the Oilers, it is not good enough.

Old
10-15-2013, 12:39 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
I know hindsight is 20/20 but it was so important for this year's team have a good start I wish Eakins would have used the training camp to get his lines set and let the players gel.

Instead of a bunch of "tryouts" for guys who are clearly not going to make the opening night line-up.

Now Eakins has to mix-up the lines and the players have to find their games and gel with real points on the line.

I know it goes against standard practice but this ****** start may have been avoided by using the pre-season to get prepared for winning rather than finding our way during the start of the regular season.

You really want our best players out on the ice in meaningless games where other teams are dressing Neanderthals trying to make a name for themselves. Wasn't just losing Gagner enough for one preseason?

Old
10-15-2013, 01:19 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post

Ya, I have to agree. They should have pared the roster down a lot sooner and given the team a chance to gel. I was kind of surprised when Eakins mentioned the first practice in which systems play was discussed was the practice before the last preseason game against Dallas. Probably not a surprise they have been all over the map. Throw in the god awful goaltending and its the perfect **** storm.

Old
10-15-2013, 01:31 PM
Digger12

Eakins is fond of telling reporters to look up the history of this guy or that guy to make a point about something.

Fair enough, but I'd pay money to watch a reporter shoot back with "While we're checking him out on wikipedia Dallas, maybe you could look up a person by the name of George Burnett."

I'd bet that presser would come to an abrupt end.

Closed Thread