HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trading Dan Girardi

Old
10-15-2013, 11:10 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

vCash: 500
Trading Dan Girardi

His game is in the decline, is an UFA, and will want more money than he's worth. I don't think we should resign him...not a smart move, imo.

That said, I wonder what kind of return we could get for Girardi...young assets wise. Edmonton needs D...like...real bad.

Girardi+ for Yakupov??

hell give them Girardi and Del Sucko...

What do you guys think we could fetch for him?

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 11:24 AM
NYRCSKA

Girardi, Kreider, and a 1st for Yakupov.

NYRCSKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 11:26 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRCSKA View Post
Girardi, Kreider, and a 1st for Yakupov.
I think that's a bit too much...maybe Girardi, Kreider and a 2nd.

Old
10-15-2013, 11:31 AM
JaeTM

I love Girardi, for the beating he takes, and the sacrifices he makes. But he is pretty bad with the puck, and is not a #2 D-Man.

Every time he gets the puck behind the net in our zone, he just shoots it along the boards, which causes turnovers in our own end. He's not a great passer, and shouldn't be on the PP (though this isn't his fault).

I doubt we'd be able to get anyone like Yaks with Girardi in the deal considering he's a UFA at the end of the season. This again, would create even more turnover with the team, which I think has gone pretty poorly for us since the 11-12 team. I'd like to sign G again, and then go out and get an actual #2 RHD.

JaeTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 11:37 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeTM View Post
I love Girardi, for the beating he takes, and the sacrifices he makes. But he is pretty bad with the puck, and is not a #2 D-Man.

Every time he gets the puck behind the net in our zone, he just shoots it along the boards, which causes turnovers in our own end. He's not a great passer, and shouldn't be on the PP (though this isn't his fault).

I doubt we'd be able to get anyone like Yaks with Girardi in the deal considering he's a UFA at the end of the season. This again, would create even more turnover with the team, which I think has gone pretty poorly for us since the 11-12 team. I'd like to sign G again, and then go out and get an actual #2 RHD.

Danny G is going to want #1 RHD money. Just because he is not an offensive wizard doesn't mean that his defensive play isn't that of a top pairing defenseman.

Also with regards to the bolded part, that is simply not true. While he doesn't have a break out pass of Del Zotto, Girardi certainly is better than you are giving him credit for.

10-15-2013, 11:39 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Not sure I see a player in decline so much as I see a player struggling to grasp the concept that AV is preaching right now.

I see ALOT of guys failing at that at the moment.

I see Hank getting beat CLEAN on goals he should be stopping. is his game also in decline?

Girardi is still the top pairing right side defenceman that has been gere the last 3-4 seasons.

Any trade that involves him will HAVE to be an overpayment from the other team as we would then have Stralman as the team #1 right side guy. That is something no one wants.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 11:44 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Not sure I see a player in decline so much as I see a player struggling to grasp the concept that AV is preaching right now.

I see ALOT of guys failing at that at the moment.

I see Hank getting beat CLEAN on goals he should be stopping. is his game also in decline?

Girardi is still the top pairing right side defenceman that has been gere the last 3-4 seasons.

Any trade that involves him will HAVE to be an overpayment from the other team as we would then have Stralman as the team #1 right side guy. That is something no one wants.
I see your points, but this doesn't change the fact that he's going to want more money than he's worth. Like 5years/5mm per. NO THANKS

Old
10-15-2013, 11:49 AM
NYR Viper

Teams like Colorado, Toronto, Edmonton, Dallas would be looking for a player just like Girardi. I would think he could return a couple of good assets back.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 11:57 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Is he in decline or is he just off to a bad start in a new system?

Doesn't necessarily change the decision to move him, but it's worth considering.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 12:07 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post

Doesn't necessarily change the decision to move him, but it's worth considering.
Why would someone consider to move #1D on this team? I mean you can move anyone who is up for a new contract, but why? How about Lundqvist? Same situation: plays poorly, perhaps in decline, in his last year? This has to stop already! King and Dan are untouchable at this time. There is no Rangers w/o them. Not in the few years...

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 12:09 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
I see your points, but this doesn't change the fact that he's going to want more money than he's worth. Like 5years/5mm per. NO THANKS
I give Girardi 5 per over 5 years EASILY

Unless I am getting ateam to come at me with an offer I couldn't refuse, I retain the player long term.

WORST case is he's a 2nd pairing defenceman. Best case is that he starts to "get" the concept AV is preaching and we get to see the player that helped both Staal and McDonagh have their best seasons to date in their short NHL careers.

All of that said, Girardi is a tradable asset. As in Lundqvist if thinge REALLY go south

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 12:21 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Why would someone consider to move #1D on this team? I mean you can move anyone who is up for a new contract, but why? How about Lundqvist? Same situation: plays poorly, perhaps in decline, in his last year? This has to stop already! King and Dan are untouchable at this time. There is no Rangers w/o them. Not in the few years...
This is a very dangerous way of thinking. If you think Girardi (who is soon to become a presumably very expensive UFA who will be looking for a HUGE payday, and has looked awful dating back to last season) is untouchable...then I don't know what to tell you.

Quote:

I hear you, and I'm guessing the answer to that will become a bit clearer as the season progresses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I give Girardi 5 per over 5 years EASILY

Unless I am getting ateam to come at me with an offer I couldn't refuse, I retain the player long term.

WORST case is he's a 2nd pairing defenceman. Best case is that he starts to "get" the concept AV is preaching and we get to see the player that helped both Staal and McDonagh have their best seasons to date in their short NHL careers.

All of that said, Girardi is a tradable asset. As in Lundqvist if things REALLY go south
Which would mean it was a bad deal 1 or 2 years into the contract when his game really starts to decline. He is already noticeably slower than he was a few years ago. He doesn't have the physical gifts for a prolonged career, imo.

And AV is going to be a 1 year wonder, so I'm not making any major signings with his "system" in mind for the future.

The whole "system" thing is such a cop out. He looked bad last year under Torts, also, which to me, is his IDEAL system.

Old
10-15-2013, 12:27 PM
dccuse

Girardi

Oh man, Yakupov!!!

I dont care about his "not forechecking" quote - get him out there for us. Give them Danny G. Maybe Allen is the next Girardi, or something similar and we find out that we broke even on D and upgraded on offense.

I wouldn't give them a first and kreider. Probably either or, with Girardi

dccuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 12:36 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I'll take both McDonagh and Staal over Girardi, and I love Girardi.

I'm not advocating for a trade of Girardi, but it's certainly something that warrants consideration.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 12:51 PM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

I don't wanna turn this into a pissing match, but I do feel Girardi has a reputation that's a bit above his actual talent level, and therefore could garner a return that supersedes his actual worth. As such, I'm very much for trading him.

"It's Mario Götze!" -Ian Darke
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 12:53 PM
NYRCSKA

Yakupov is a hellova player. Girardi + Kreider for Yakupov is a steal for the Rangers. Just saying.

NYRCSKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 01:04 PM
Savant

Quote:
I'll take both McDonagh and Staal over Girardi, and I love Girardi.

I'm not advocating for a trade of Girardi, but it's certainly something that warrants consideration.
Girardi should not make more money than McDonagh. He should be traded for assets. He will get more than Jay Bouwmeester got at the deadline last year. I would hate to lose the guy, but he has a ton of mileage on him and I can see the 2nd half of his contract getting ugly. Go get a 1st and a prospect or two.

Maybe Yakupov bait, but remember, Howson is in that front office now and he loves Del Zotto, Kreider and Hagelin. I think the Rangers are primed to make a run at Yakupov if Edmonton wants to sell, but that remains to be seen.

Maybe to Toronto for Gardiner/Franson, Reimer and a pick

Maybe to Ottawa for Zibanejad and Ceci and a pick

Maybe to Detroit for Brendan Smith and Nyqvist and a pick

Maybe to Anaheim for Vatanen and Holland and a pick

Maybe to Dallas for a 1st and Chiasson or Ritchie

Would have loved to do Girardi and Del Zotto to Colorado for O'Reilly, Downie and Barrie but I doubt Colorado shakes things up too much at this stage.

Basically sorry for the trade vomit but there are a ton of options if Girardi is moved because every team could use a player like Dan Girardi

Savant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 01:07 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

The Rangers and Oilers make good trade partners.
Problem is, they want to hold on to all their young front end talent. When the smart thing to do is trade one of them, to fill out their team.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 01:13 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savant View Post
Girardi should not make more money than McDonagh. He should be traded for assets. He will get more than Jay Bouwmeester got at the deadline last year. I would hate to lose the guy, but he has a ton of mileage on him and I can see the 2nd half of his contract getting ugly. Go get a 1st and a prospect or two.

Maybe Yakupov bait, but remember, Howson is in that front office now and he loves Del Zotto, Kreider and Hagelin. I think the Rangers are primed to make a run at Yakupov if Edmonton wants to sell, but that remains to be seen.

Maybe to Toronto for Gardiner/Franson, Reimer and a pick

Maybe to Ottawa for Zibanejad and Ceci and a pick

Maybe to Detroit for Brendan Smith and Nyqvist and a pick

Maybe to Anaheim for Vatanen and Holland and a pick

Maybe to Dallas for a 1st and Chiasson or Ritchie

Would have loved to do Girardi and Del Zotto to Colorado for O'Reilly, Downie and Barrie but I doubt Colorado shakes things up too much at this stage.

Basically sorry for the trade vomit but there are a ton of options if Girardi is moved because every team could use a player like Dan Girardi
All of these are overpayment tbh. I would love the Dallas, Ottawa and Detroit trades. All heavily slanted in our favor.

iamitter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 01:13 PM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
The Rangers and Oilers make good trade partners.
Problem is, they want to hold on to all their young front end talent. When the smart thing to do is trade one of them, to fill out their team.
The thing is the Oilers think they're gonna duplicate the 80's with these guys and just score people to death. They need to realize that those teams had 4 hall of famers in the top 6 and it probably isn't gonna happen again.

Old
10-15-2013, 01:15 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Said it in another thread, but Gardiner and Biggs for an extended Girardi would be a solid deal for us. Never liked Biggs as a first round pick, but he does project as the kind of player we've had an incredibly difficult time developing ourselves.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 01:16 PM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

Biggs would be nice but I really don't like Gardiner. I just see him as another MDZ.

Old
10-15-2013, 01:35 PM
Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
All of these are overpayment tbh. I would love the Dallas, Ottawa and Detroit trades. All heavily slanted in our favor.
I mean I'm not going to post anything where the rangers are getting hosed.

I think the Detroit and Dallas (with Ritchie) offers are the fairest but I don't think any are complete disasters. Just trying to find teams with players with first line upside that maybe some of the shine has worn off. Plus maybe a defense replacement.

Savant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 01:42 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Said it in another thread, but Gardiner and Biggs for an extended Girardi would be a solid deal for us. Never liked Biggs as a first round pick, but he does project as the kind of player we've had an incredibly difficult time developing ourselves.
Exactly. Gardiner and Biggs provide something we need at (2) positions. A power forward who enjoys causing pain and a puck mover who can QB the PP.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 01:47 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

I have to say that I noticed a decline in play that started last year. He makes a lot of bad decisions with the puck in the defensive zone and a lot of his defensive value is derived from shot blocking. I also think he's misused at time, there's no real reason for him to ever be on the PP. Girardi's value is still pretty high all things considered but he doesn't fit AV's system at all. He's also taking a bunch of physical wear so I wouldn't be surprised to see a decline as he progresses through his next contract.

Don't interpret this as dislike for the player, I LOVE Girardi. He's a warrior and selfless teammate. I just agree that it would be a decent idea to use him to acquire a defenseman that would better suit our new team direction. I have no idea what his value would bring back in a trade, though.

Maybe Girardi+Kristo or Kreider could bring us back an exciting young forward and a capable righthanded defenseman.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote