HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Holmgren: Pronger “is never going to play again”

Old
10-15-2013, 12:50 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

vCash: 500
Holmgren: Pronger “is never going to play again”

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=434164

Quote:
Philadelphia Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren confirmed that the former captain's NHL career on the ice is done in an interview with The Hockey News.

"I'll say it, Chris is never going to play again," Holmgren told The Hockey News. "I have no problems saying it."

Pronger has not played since November of 2011 due to complications surrounding an ocular concussion he suffered against the Toronto Maple Leafs in late October of that year.
------------------------------
Source: The Hockey News

Quote:
It’s difficult to miss Chris Pronger, even when he’s wearing a suit and tie instead of hockey equipment. That’s largely because he’s so big, but he’s also loud and boisterous and draws a crowd. Draft day 2013 was no different. Even though Pronger was behind the barrier separating teams from everyone else, he came to the front of the area to share his thoughts with anyone who would listen and a few who wouldn’t. And like John ‘Bluto’ Blutarsky in Animal House, it’s best to let him keep going when he’s on a roll.

The San Jose Sharks had just selected Swiss-born Western League star Mirco Mueller 18th overall and Pronger was touting his abilities as a soothsayer. “I called that one,” he declared. “When I left the table and (the Sharks) traded up, I said, ‘They’re picking Mueller.’ Doug Wilson takes all the Germans and the Swiss. Just look at his drafts, those are the types of kids he takes.”

It’s good to see Pronger again. It’s even better to see him back to something that, at least on the outside, resembles his former self. Ravaged by post-concussion syndrome and a serious eye injury, Pronger hasn’t been on the ice since Nov. 19, 2011, with the exception of “pushing pucks around” during his sons’ practices. And despite his public proclamations that he still holds out hopes of playing again, it’s widely believed his career is over. He has come a long way from the depressing days filled with despair when he would stumble around his house in the dark, but he’s even further from ever being fit to play in the NHL. A friend who went paddle boarding with him at a former teammates’ wedding said Pronger was sore for days after the experience. Thirteen career surgeries will do that to a guy.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-at-large.html

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 10-15-2013 at 05:28 PM. Reason: added quote
dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 12:53 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Yeah saw this at lunch.....wonder how it impacts putting him on LTIR now that he's publically/officially acknowledged he will never play....guess it really has to come from Pronger to be binding?

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 12:56 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Yeah saw this at lunch.....wonder how it impacts putting him on LTIR now that he's publically/officially acknowledged he will never play....guess it really has to come from Pronger to be binding?
As long as Pronger himself is trying to recover I think it'll be fine. That's the point of LTIR, to give the team cap and roster relief while a player heals. Whether or not he will heal before his contract expires is a different matter.

Edit: But, if this statement does affect his LTIR status anyways, Holmgren should be retired instantly.

10-15-2013, 01:00 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Yeah I thought the same thing....insert foot in mouth if somehow it has any adverse impact which I doubt

Another link

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/..._confirms.html

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 01:04 PM
Curufinwe

Marc Savard is never going to play again, either. Doesn't affect his LTIR status.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 01:04 PM
Don Nachbaur 26

I wish there was something in the CBA that would allow guys like Pronger and Savard to retire without all this LTIR non-sense.

Don Nachbaur 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 01:08 PM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
I get the reason why there is punishment for signing guys over 35 to long term deals. But **** like this with Pronger & Savard, both of these guys would still be high end elite players most likely if it wasn't for some freak accident. There should be something in the rules to wash this away, I mean aside from those two, how many teams are doing this? I'm pretty sure none of them are.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 01:15 PM
Don Nachbaur 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
I get the reason why there is punishment for signing guys over 35 to long term deals. But **** like this with Pronger & Savard, both of these guys would still be high end elite players most likely if it wasn't for some freak accident. There should be something in the rules to wash this away, I mean aside from those two, how many teams are doing this? I'm pretty sure none of them are.
Exactly what I was thinking. If they come back and play within a set time frame, the team gets penalized or something.

Don Nachbaur 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 01:16 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
It doesn't matter because Pronger doesn't get paid if he retires.

The league can't force him to retire because Holmgren said he'll never play again.

10-15-2013, 01:31 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Yeah people on the main board are making a way bigger deal out of this than it really is.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 01:32 PM
Garbage Goal

I'm shocked. In other news, the sky is blue.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 01:32 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Forsberg View Post
Yeah people on the main board are making a way bigger deal out of this than it really is.
A lot of them desperately wish the Flyers would lose nearly 5 mil in cap space, so they'll reach for anything that gives them a slight glimmer of hope for that happening.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Tripod

Quote:
well technically...there is a rule to help wash it mostly away...LTIR

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 01:41 PM
Hiesenberg

I just saw 10 teams are into LTIR space.

Why are the Flyers constantly tagged as Cap Incompetent?

Old
10-15-2013, 01:47 PM
MRxBLACK
Charlie don't surf!

vCash: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
I wish LTIR took affect on the salary cap 365 days per year. so the flyers and other teams don't have to go through the hassle of being cap compliant with the severely injured player's contract taking up space a few days before the season.

MRxBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 01:56 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxBLACK View Post
I wish LTIR took affect on the salary cap 365 days per year. so the flyers and other teams don't have to go through the hassle of being cap compliant with the severely injured player's contract taking up space a few days before the season.
This. I really don't fully grasp why it only lasts during the season. If anyone would like to educate me I would gladly listen.

10-15-2013, 01:57 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
It doesn't really wash it, allows you to be over and makes trades/acquisitions a giant PITA

Old
10-15-2013, 02:03 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Well yesterday was Columbas day, in which my mom reminded me the world is round.

Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 02:04 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fletcher 29 View Post
I wish there was something in the CBA that would allow guys like Pronger and Savard to retire without all this LTIR non-sense.
I was very vocal during the lockout last year that something had to be done about LTIR and/or 35+ contracts if a player can not play anymore.

If they can not play anymore, they should be allowed to mutually void the contract at the approval of NHL doctors. It makes no sense to make them fly around at the risk of their own health to see doctors if they can never play again, especially if it negatively affects their health.

Krishna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 02:09 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I was very vocal during the lockout last year that something had to be done about LTIR and/or 35+ contracts if a player can not play anymore.

If they can not play anymore, they should be allowed to mutually void the contract at the approval of NHL doctors. It makes no sense to make them fly around at the risk of their own health to see doctors if they can never play again, especially if it negatively affects their health.
35+ contract rules were implemented to prevent exactly what happened with Pronger.

Who signs a 35+ player to a seven year contract? If you're dumb enough to lock into a contract fo that long with an old man, you deserve the woes you'll get when that player inevitably can't play anymore.

The Flyers were circumventing the cap by extending Pronger for as long as they did and now they're paying for it. Fair game, to me.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 02:13 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
35+ contract rules were implemented to prevent exactly what happened with Pronger.

Who signs a 35+ player to a seven year contract? If you're dumb enough to lock into a contract fo that long with an old man, you deserve the woes you'll get when that player inevitably can't play anymore.

The Flyers were circumventing the cap by extending Pronger for as long as they did and now they're paying for it. Fair game, to me.
couldn't be more incorrect, what happened to Pronger could happen to Giroux tonight. It wasn't age, it was a 100mph stick to the face.

Being over 35 and not being able to play at a high level isn't why the contract should be voided, its because Pronger suffered a career ending injury that can not be foreseen or prevented.

Old
10-15-2013, 02:13 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
Well yesterday was Columbas day, in which my mom reminded me the world is round.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
I'm shocked. In other news, the sky is blue.
It was posted due to the fact a statement was made about it. I think we all knew it was going to be that way.

(mod)

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 10-15-2013 at 02:56 PM. Reason: not req'd
dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 02:18 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
couldn't be more incorrect, what happened to Pronger could happen to Giroux tonight. It wasn't age, it was a 100mph stick to the face.

Being over 35 and not being able to play at a high level isn't why the contract should be voided, its because Pronger suffered a career ending injury that can not be foreseen or prevented.
Yes, the Pronger injury was a freak accident.

This doesn't change the fact that it was assinine to give a 35+ player a seven year contract. The older the player the more likely that the player will get injured.

Given how concussions are handled these days, as well, the likelihood that a concussion forces a guy in his thirties to retire is much higher than a guy in his twenties.

... and most injuries cannot be foreseen or prevented...

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 02:18 PM
Krishna

Quote:

But with the term limits on contracts, the 35+ rule makes little to no sense. It makes even less sense when the NHL can claim a contract violates the CBA and assess penalties to the team that signed the deal.

Also, the flyers could have possibly petitioned the NHL and NHLPA to allow them to buy out a injured player during the summer, but one of Briere or Bryzgalov would still be here. Whether or not the PA would have agreed to it is another matter. But, I think they would have allowed it as Pronger has been very vocal in stating he's looking at moving on in his life but he can not move on

Old
10-15-2013, 02:20 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Yes, the Pronger injury was a freak accident.

This doesn't change the fact that it was assinine to give a 35+ player a seven year contract. The older the player the more likely that the player will get injured.

Given how concussions are handled these days, as well, the likelihood that a concussion forces a guy in his thirties to retire is much higher than a guy in his twenties.

... and most injuries cannot be foreseen or prevented...
Could be because the player is in the tail end of his career and won't make too much money after he returned unless he's a top player, whereas a player in his 20s still has a long road ahead of him