HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

St.johns get some newfies??

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2004, 08:18 PM
qwert

vCash: 500
St.johns get some newfies??

I hope Toronto will sign a few newfoundlanders, i know druken is playing there but hey we newfies like rough games and well we need more hitting. How about adding a player like Jeff sullivan on defense, i know we have a few d men but he would be cheap and get alot of fans filling the seats. He is a rugged d man that watchs his own zone, so put him on the line iwth hedin or colovacovco, that would ge great. I dont think toronto understands how much us newfoundlanders love hockey and we love seeing our own play, it is not like these players from newfoundland would hurt the team. I hope to get replys on this?? I am a season ticket holder in st.johns for the last 7 years.

Old
01-14-2004, 09:40 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
nfld use to have a good hockey system there for players who feel between the cracks of the nhl and europe wasnt always an option.

Hubie Mcdonough played in nfld in late 80's eary 90's he's a former edmonton a tb system player.

My question is do you still have a good league now

or is there just beer leagues?

Old
01-15-2004, 04:30 AM
Frankie

i don't think the team needs anymore 'newfies'. i don't think harold druken is putting anyone in the seats.

look sat the under 17 tournament that was just played in st.john's. the final game was ontario against pacific. not one newfoundlander out there and the building was sold out.

i think people just want to see good hockey, they don't care where the players come from.

gilmour's way, there's not a province wide senior league like you're talking about. that league died because it was supposed to be 'amateur', but they were paying the players under the table tens of thousands. players used to leave the old ihl and european leagues to come play in the newfoundland league, so that gives an idea of how much they were paying.

now there's an eastern league, and a western league. not nearly the same calibre as it was back in the 80s. the western league is booming, but they are travelling that dangerous path again of paying the players. terry ryan is making 15,000 to play for corner brook. that won't work for very long.

Old
01-16-2004, 07:49 AM
Prrebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmour's Way
nfld use to have a good hockey system there for players who feel between the cracks of the nhl and europe wasnt always an option.
Hubie Mcdonough played in nfld in late 80's eary 90's he's a former edmonton a tb system player.
My question is do you still have a good league now
or is there just beer leagues?
Back in the 70's and to more extent to what I saw, the early 80's, there were some pretty good hockey players in the Sr. hockey league. There were guys playing here who could have been NHLers, but some were making more money playing here and working at the fish plant on the side, then they would in the NHL. ie. Andy Sullivan, Rick Babstock, Randy Piercey.

Those days are gone, especially as Fank said, in the Eastern league. The rink is usually packed with 30 or 40 peole, where as in Corner Brook they are playing in front of 2000. Its to bad too, cause those were some interesting teams back then. I remember when St. John's signed Mario & Serge Roberge (both later played with the Habs I think) for their toughness. Well, their first game against Corner Brook, a local named Gordie Gallant, kicked the stuffing out of 2 of them. And a good time was had by all.

Old
01-16-2004, 02:09 PM
Newfie Bruin

Send a message via MSN to Newfie Bruin
Druken is putting people in the seats. Newfoundlanders are thrilled that we get to see Druken 41 times a year. Every time the Baby Leafs play a team who has a Newfie player on it, the attendence is way up!! The first time I look at the schedule
I check off the ones were Newfoundlanders are playin.

Now,you are right Frankie..we love a good game of hockey(I seen 15 U-17 games) and we don't care who is playing..But if Newfies are playin, then more people will come!!

For the past three years, we have hoped Quinn would sign John Slaney......... but never did!!

Old
01-16-2004, 09:25 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Sign John Slaney to the ahl i thought he was better then that?

Old
01-17-2004, 07:10 AM
Hydroponic Harold

Theres no Newfies left in Newfoundland ..there all in Ft.McMurray !!!!!

Old
01-17-2004, 11:25 AM
Prrebel

Thats cause all the work here is done, so we have to move west to finish up all the work out there.

Old
01-17-2004, 12:14 PM
Stephen

I kind of wish the Baby Leafs would relocate to Ontario. It's so strange that the farm team would be placed out away from the parent club when Montreal has a farm team down the road and Edmonton has a farm team in your backyard. Wouldn't it be better if we just forgot about Nfld, and let our prospects develop in Toronto, where they could get used to the scuitiny and the city and play under the observation of the parent club?

Old
01-17-2004, 12:48 PM
Frankie

i don't think toronto is any place for a minor league team.

you really want cox, strachan, simmons, berger, etc. to sink their teeth into our 20 year old prospects?

st.john's is the best place for them. they are the biggest game in town. in toronto, they'd get lost and wouldn't get the fan support or corporate support.

but basically it coems down to everyone wanting the farm team in their backyard.

Old
01-17-2004, 12:53 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie
i don't think toronto is any place for a minor league team.

you really want cox, strachan, simmons, berger, etc. to sink their teeth into our 20 year old prospects?

st.john's is the best place for them. they are the biggest game in town. in toronto, they'd get lost and wouldn't get the fan support or corporate support.

but basically it coems down to everyone wanting the farm team in their backyard.
It's just good for practical purposes. You can call up a guy and have him at practice 20 minutes later. You can keep close tabs on your prospects without having to travel. If there's a medical problem or injury, players can be examined by the Leaf doctors right away. The media attention probably wouldn't be too bad, and whatever pressures the prospects get could be good for adjustment to the NHL. It's just weird that Edmonton has a farm team in Toronto, but Toronto's prospects play on the east coast. It's no slight against St. John's. They deserve an AHL team, but it just doesn't make sense to have your assets so far away.

Old
01-17-2004, 01:01 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
It's just good for practical purposes. You can call up a guy and have him at practice 20 minutes later. You can keep close tabs on your prospects without having to travel. If there's a medical problem or injury, players can be examined by the Leaf doctors right away. The media attention probably wouldn't be too bad, and whatever pressures the prospects get could be good for adjustment to the NHL. It's just weird that Edmonton has a farm team in Toronto, but Toronto's prospects play on the east coast. It's no slight against St. John's. They deserve an AHL team, but it just doesn't make sense to have your assets so far away.
but it hasn't been a problem for 13 years, now suddenly there's an ahl team in toronto and it is a problem?

ferguson and penny keep close tabs on the farm team. they don't have to be 20 minutes away to know exactly what is going on.

as far as media scrutiny, the leafs have always said having the team in st.john's is great because its like a mini toronto for the prospects. they are the biggest game in town and they can't run and hide from the fans and media.

Old
01-17-2004, 01:08 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie
but it hasn't been a problem for 13 years, now suddenly there's an ahl team in toronto and it is a problem?
I don't think it's a definite problem, but more of a preference on my part. Also, for the past 13 years, St. John's has been a terrible developmental program, so it's not like moving the location of the farm team is going to 'mess with success.' I'm not blaming the location, I'm just saying for all of the positives the site is supposed to have, it has really contributed to nothing.

Old
01-17-2004, 05:36 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
I don't think it's a definite problem, but more of a preference on my part. Also, for the past 13 years, St. John's has been a terrible developmental program, so it's not like moving the location of the farm team is going to 'mess with success.' I'm not blaming the location, I'm just saying for all of the positives the site is supposed to have, it has really contributed to nothing.
do i have to list all the players in the nhl today who developed in st.john's? not the farm team's fault the big team decided to trade them.

and if it really has contributed nothing and its not the location's fault, leave it where it is. at least they have fans and have great corporate support.

Closed Thread