HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far

Closed Thread

Old
10-15-2013, 02:04 PM
KClovesGaming

vCash: 500
Eakins is doing a good job so far. He has everyone playing hard. The team deserves beter than what their record shows.

This team could be 4-2 or at the very least .500, if it weren't for the horrible goaltending. Since the Devils game, they've battled hard, competed and their defense hasn't been that bad at all. But when the other team gets a scoring chance, it's going in. Every. Single. Time.

Last night in Washington, the team was playing a good road game, but then what happens? The Caps score on 3 straight shots. This team literally has to not give up a shot to win a game, it seems. It's ridiculous how bad the goaltending has been. 4 goals on 9 shots? The hell.

Players have no confidence in their goalies and it shows. Until this team can get a goalie that can make a save, it's going to be tough to win games. Which is strange to say because last year it was the complete opposite.

Old
10-15-2013, 02:20 PM
skorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
I know hindsight is 20/20 but it was so important for this year's team have a good start I wish Eakins would have used the training camp to get his lines set and let the players gel.

Instead of a bunch of "tryouts" for guys who are clearly not going to make the opening night line-up.

Now Eakins has to mix-up the lines and the players have to find their games and gel with real points on the line.

I know it goes against standard practice but this ****** start may have been avoided by using the pre-season to get prepared for winning rather than finding our way during the start of the regular season.

**** tryouts. Get the team ready to win before the games count.
I wish Eakins would give the guys a period together before flipping his lines around...

Old
10-15-2013, 02:30 PM
IV XIV XCI

Old
10-15-2013, 02:31 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
Eakins is doing a good job so far. He has everyone playing hard. The team deserves beter than what their record shows.

This team could be 4-2 or at the very least .500, if it weren't for the horrible goaltending. Since the Devils game, they've battled hard, competed and their defense hasn't been that bad at all. But when the other team gets a scoring chance, it's going in. Every. Single. Time.

Last night in Washington, the team was playing a good road game, but then what happens? The Caps score on 3 straight shots. This team literally has to not give up a shot to win a game, it seems. It's ridiculous how bad the goaltending has been. 4 goals on 9 shots? The hell.

Players have no confidence in their goalies and it shows. Until this team can get a goalie that can make a save, it's going to be tough to win games. Which is strange to say because last year it was the complete opposite.
Do you see the inconsistency in this?

The Oilers played one good road period in this game. Thats it. After that they had blown assignment after blown assignment and took stupid penalties and had a very tentative pk in which they basically just watched guys like Backstrom and OV deliver euthanasia.

The key thing is that when this team brokedown last night they did it up big with guys wide open or unchecked.

ironically 10 secs before OV scores he took a shot with all kinds of time from high slot but luckily shot wide. It was a screen shot, a dangerous shot. But not 10 secs later he's still unmarked, now in deep slot, gimme territory for him, and he scores easily off the screen. With a slapshot at that. No goalie in the league knows where that puck is going.

The OV sequence along demonstrates how clueless the Oilers coverage is right now. This is OV, leave him unchecked multiple times in a row, wow.

The first GA was a horribly weak play by Hemsky not getting puck out. Resulting in a wide open chance.

Another goal was a pass across into an empty net that nobody is getting. After they gave Backstrom, arguably the best passer in the game, all kinds of time to set it up perfectly. Guess what happens.

Final goal the save is made, then puck rebounds off Petrys skate and into net. Bad luck goal. Nothing to see on that one.

But on 3 goals last night the break downs were horrendous. If caps don't miss the net on several other great scoring chances the score is worse. We played tentative and loose after first period. A good road game is 60mins. Nothing close to that so far.

Old
10-15-2013, 02:34 PM
GMofOilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Do you see the inconsistency in this?

The Oilers played one good road period in this game. Thats it. After that they had blown assignment after blown assignment and took stupid penalties and had a very tentative pk in which they basically just watched guys like Backstrom and OV deliver euthanasia.

The key thing is that when this team brokedown last night they did it up big with guys wide open or unchecked.

ironically 10 secs before OV scores he took a shot with all kinds of time from high slot but luckily shot wide. It was a screen shot, a dangerous shot. But not 10 secs later he's still unmarked, now in deep slot, gimme territory for him, and he scores easily off the screen. With a slapshot at that. No goalie in the league knows where that puck is going.

The OV sequence along demonstrates how clueless the Oilers coverage is right now. This is OV, leave him unchecked multiple times in a row, wow.

The first GA was a horribly weak play by Hemsky not getting puck out. Resulting in a wide open chance.

Another goal was a pass across into an empty net that nobody is getting. After they gave Backstrom, arguably the best passer in the game, all kinds of time to set it up perfectly. Guess what happens.

Final goal the save is made, then puck rebounds off Petrys skate and into net. Bad luck goal. Nothing to see on that one.

But on 3 goals last night the break downs were horrendous.
I agree but the only thing I can come up with is every team in the league has these break downs every night.

The only part I don't like about Eakins so far, is the special teams. I think long term it gets corrected as he will figure his players out. If not then this will be our problem.

Old
10-15-2013, 02:35 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
I'm fine with Eakins so far. It's obvioius that after how many coaching changes, coaching isn't the problem. It's the players we have. We don't have any balance to our personnel. Too much talent, skill, etc. and not enough grit, heart & desire to compete.

Old
10-15-2013, 02:46 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
I agree but the only thing I can come up with is every team in the league has these break downs every night.

The only part I don't like about Eakins so far, is the special teams. I think long term it gets corrected as he will figure his players out. If not then this will be our problem.
Most teams and players are sensible enough not to have critical breakdowns against the best players in hockey. Most competitive teams and players rise to the occasion to at least attempt to shutdown the best players in hockey. This Oilers club sends out invitations to be owned.

OV didn't even have to break a sweat to get the goal. Didn't have to break a check, didn't have to make a fancy move to get open. He cloaked open easily twice in 10 secs because there was no coverage offerered. TWICE. In response to some of the best hockey hands in the game. This is the easiest OV goal he gets. We did the same with Jagr a few games ago. Letting goal scoring legends walk into slot untouched.

When we're not letting a guy like OV kill us with a goal we're letting Backstrom set them up. Only bad things happen when that happens.

Wayne Gretzky would have killed this club every night for fun. He would stop short of uttering Mickey Mouse.

One of the things that HAS to change with the swarm D is players being MUCH better at blocking passing lanes and preventing the passes across. We're trying to execute swarm to oneside D while allowing passes across freely...lol

N Schultz staring at Backstrom. Everybody in the building knows whats going down. Schultz right there to try to block shot but with a poor pass blocking stance. Do they ever practice this? Backstrom throws a perfect pass right by Schultz like he would 9/10 times. Instant goal. Rented mule.

Old
10-15-2013, 02:53 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
N Schultz staring at Backstrom. Everybody in the building knows whats going down. Schultz right there to try to block shot but with a poor pass blocking stance. Do they ever practice this? Backstrom throws a perfect pass right by Schultz like he would 9/10 times. Instant goal. Rented mule.
Wanted to flag this because Schultz in that instant was basically the mirror image of Petry on Kadri's goal from Saturday night. Stick down, body out of the way leaving a clear lane across. It's gotta be a system thing and I have no idea why.

Old
10-15-2013, 03:00 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
The PK hasn't been that bad imo. I'd honestly like to see us bring Krueger back as an assistant. That man new how to run a PP

10-16-2013, 12:37 AM
tiger_80

Eakins should be given a full season. Then in the off-season some trades should roll.
Identify the core of 3-4 players and build around them, trade some of the remaining "core" pieces to create a more balanced line-up.
IMHO, they should build around Hall, RNH, and Nurse.

Eberle, Yakupov, Gagner, J.Schultz, Smid, Klefbom, Marincin, 1st round pick in 2014 and 2015 should be used to fill strategic positions: goaltender, 1D, 2C.

Once these positions are filled through trade, one can start filling remaining holes by signing free agents. But one has to give to get.

IMHO, Eberle and a D prospect should net us a very good defenseman. Perhaps MacDonaugh or Staal out of NY.

methinks J.Schultz+ can net that elusive No.2 centerman.

And they can definitely find a decent goal-tender for some combination of lesser assets.

Hall-RNH-Hemsky
Perron-O'Reilly-Yakupov

would be absolutely formidable top 2 lines.

MacDonaugh-Petry
Nurse-Belov
Ference-Klefbom

Ryan Miller/Hiller etc.

Old
10-16-2013, 12:52 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I think it's time to start looking at a big trade for a real veteran stud D man. A package like Eberle and Klefbom, or the 2014 first rounder. You have to give to get.

Old
10-16-2013, 01:25 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

On nights like tonight, I want them to get rewarded with points to reinforce the effort.

Old
10-16-2013, 02:22 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
I like him.

Like his decisions so far.

Doesn't seem like an amature like Renny and Kruger did. So far no too many men on this penalties. No shoot-out bizarness.

Prefer his attitude in general over the other coaches.

I don't mind him pulling the goalie early when we are down by 2. But I hope he doesn't do it so early in a one goal game.
Being familiar with him, what I can say is, you get what you see. The only thing I believe he might be struggling with a little, is being a minor coach, players are doing and buying into everything to get themselves to the next level. That allows him to coach a certain way.

With a few ego adjustments, I think the guys will buy in more. That and a move has to be made in net. Let's get that outta the way and let the chips fall where they may this year. Believe it or not I think the perfect guy to play net in Edmonton right now who might be available is Reimer. We can all argue that one but a change needs to be made before this spirals into a complete mess.

Old
10-16-2013, 11:22 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
The PK hasn't been that bad imo. I'd honestly like to see us bring Krueger back as an assistant. That man new how to run a PP
No way, it's common knowledge on here that he was the root of all problems with this team. And of course, that's being borne out by our incredible results this year.

Old
10-16-2013, 11:41 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Wanted to flag this because Schultz in that instant was basically the mirror image of Petry on Kadri's goal from Saturday night. Stick down, body out of the way leaving a clear lane across. It's gotta be a system thing and I have no idea why.
Yeah, basically what I'm stating. If we're going to use a swarm system we have to do a much better job of containing passing lanes.
tbh the players on this club are barely used to covering for backchecks so the learning curve on this is more than would typically be the case. A club with players used to spotting open men and that were using vision/communication all the time to identify where opponents are does better with swarm.

I can't say with confidence that even LaBarbera knew Joel Ward was parked in a dangerous area. Shultz knew it but I don't think he said anything. No communication of that had gone on from viewing sequence. To be fair though it was afairc the last seconds of a 4 on 3 so some atypical confusion understandable.

Old
10-16-2013, 12:26 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
He's remarkable calm, and could use a save everyone once in this season at some point.

Old
10-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
A buddy and I were talking about this via text last night. Basically we think Eakins is doing what no other previous coach has done. He is making this a team instead of an arrangement of good individuals. So far, I like what I see in that regard.

There will be push back from theses guys because they are used to getting their way. I think ten games from now we see a more cohesive group and hopefully better defensive play.

Remember his task is to try and create an identity where one has not existed for over a decade. Same thing with true team concept.

Old
10-16-2013, 12:45 PM
Beerfish

The team has a garbage record thus both Eakins and MacT have done a crap job. This is not some 1st year of a 1st round picks year anymore. I have liked some of Eakins moves but friggin hate some of them. (Yakupov benching). MacT failed monstrously re 'goatending' after he failed to land his coveted starters by settling for total scrubs like Bachman and Lababera as backups.

In any case he better get it figured out soon because being totally behind the 8 ball after 20 games re playoffs would be a sheer and utter joke.

Old
10-16-2013, 01:37 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Not sure how you can blame Eakins for the crap goaltending.

And Yak has to figure some things out, which judging by last game, he didn't.

I also wouldn't blame MacT too much for Dubnyk's play. All he has done so far is validate the lack of faith in him.

Old
10-16-2013, 03:39 PM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Most teams and players are sensible enough not to have critical breakdowns against the best players in hockey. Most competitive teams and players rise to the occasion to at least attempt to shutdown the best players in hockey. This Oilers club sends out invitations to be owned.
Every team has breakdowns against the best players in hockey. That's why they are the best. The Hall-Hopkins-Eberle line usually gets 4-6 great chances a night when they play together, that's just how hockey is.

On most nights, even teams playing sound defensive games are going to give up 5-6+ grade A scoring chances. Scoring chances overall are usually something like 20 per team. Its a game of chances. Goalies are there to stop those chances.

An average NHL goalie needs to regularly be making at least 2-3 big saves a game, as well as stopping the average chances. The Oilers goalies aren't doing that at all. That's not to say that the Oilers team defence has been great, it hasn't. I'd say its fairly average compared to other teams thus far in the season, but their goaltending has been the biggest problem by far. Its not even close really.

Old
10-16-2013, 05:00 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
Every team has breakdowns against the best players in hockey. That's why they are the best. The Hall-Hopkins-Eberle line usually gets 4-6 great chances a night when they play together, that's just how hockey is.

On most nights, even teams playing sound defensive games are going to give up 5-6+ grade A scoring chances. Scoring chances overall are usually something like 20 per team. Its a game of chances. Goalies are there to stop those chances.

An average NHL goalie needs to regularly be making at least 2-3 big saves a game, as well as stopping the average chances. The Oilers goalies aren't doing that at all. That's not to say that the Oilers team defence has been great, it hasn't. I'd say its fairly average compared to other teams thus far in the season, but their goaltending has been the biggest problem by far. Its not even close really.
Actually LaBarbera did make multiple big stops last night. Just that nobody seemingly noticed. I think a pattern has developed of blaming the goaltending. NOBODY for instance is stopping chances like Joel Ward got in the Washingtong game when theres breakdown of coverage.

Old
10-16-2013, 05:02 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Actually LaBarbera did make multiple big stops last night. Just that nobody seemingly noticed. I think a pattern has developed of blaming the goaltending. NOBODY for instance is stopping chances like Joel Ward got in the Washingtong game when theres breakdown of coverage.
The first goal was pure garbage though ... and we lost by 1 goal. And another sub .900 save percentage from a goalie.

Simply not good enough.

Old
10-16-2013, 05:10 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Eakins should be given a full season. Then in the off-season some trades should roll.
Identify the core of 3-4 players and build around them, trade some of the remaining "core" pieces to create a more balanced line-up.
IMHO, they should build around Hall, RNH, and Nurse.

Eberle, Yakupov, Gagner, J.Schultz, Smid, Klefbom, Marincin, 1st round pick in 2014 and 2015 should be used to fill strategic positions: goaltender, 1D, 2C.

Once these positions are filled through trade, one can start filling remaining holes by signing free agents. But one has to give to get.

IMHO, Eberle and a D prospect should net us a very good defenseman. Perhaps MacDonaugh or Staal out of NY.

methinks J.Schultz+ can net that elusive No.2 centerman.

And they can definitely find a decent goal-tender for some combination of lesser assets.

Hall-RNH-Hemsky
Perron-O'Reilly-Yakupov

would be absolutely formidable top 2 lines.

MacDonaugh-Petry
Nurse-Belov
Ference-Klefbom

Ryan Miller/Hiller etc.
So 1 all-star winger, 1 calder candidate winger, 1 24 year old top six center with 6 years experience, two amateur-to-novice "first round pick" defenders, two first round picks, our best physical defender, and our 2nd best defense prospect "with size" for a top 10-20 defender, UFA goaltender and a marginal upgrade, at best, at 2C.

Not a bad shopping list but if you have to pay that much than we are getting absolutely gutted.

Old
10-16-2013, 05:18 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
The first goal was pure garbage though ... and we lost by 1 goal. And another sub .900 save percentage from a goalie.

Simply not good enough.
he didn't get set and a lot of goalies are having trouble with their pads this year. The new equipment the pads don't close in the butterfly like the others did. This leaves an opening. Its a problem for all goalies right now. not just ours.

GA seems to be up around the league.

Old
10-16-2013, 05:20 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
he didn't get set and a lot of goalies are having trouble with their pads this year. The new equipment the pads don't close in the butterfly like the others did. This leaves an opening. Its a problem for all goalies right now. not just ours.

GA seems to be up around the league.
It's just great that it would happen to be our tandem that seem to be the most impacted, lol.

We can't buy a break, we play life less zombie hockey for the better part of the last few years, and finally start playing a more aggressive, harder style upfront, but now our goalie's can't make a save. Figures.

Closed Thread