HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: New York Islanders @ New York Rangers 5PM - BATTLE FOR 1st!!

Old
12-04-2006, 11:26 PM
RWWallpaper

vCash: 500
Let's not forget the Islanders netted 7 goals without their best offensive player. We don't have a Shanny to pick up the slack if Yashin is not producing. Guys just stepped up and did the job.

Islanders bent but never broke. DP letting 2 big time softies and our MVP early on this season did not even dress...Solid game by the Islanders in the midst of a 3 game in 4 night stretch against a rested Rangers team in their own house.

RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 12:10 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Can we lock this thread. I think everyone wants to put this game behind us

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 06:04 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
What happens to the Islanders if they're left with Mike Dunham?
Nothing remotely close to the fall the Rangers would take without Jagr. Jagr is probably the MVP. DiPietro is an average goalie.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 06:16 AM
WheresBarnaby

If this team loses Jagr, Shanahan steps up to the first line, and the fate of the team is pretty much the same as would be with Jagr. I agree with FLYline time to move on.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 07:32 AM
303Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
so then why be so upset about it?
I'm not upset at all why do you think that? All I mentioned was it was funny hearing the Potvin Sucks chants with the team down 4-0. You'd think the Rangers fans would have something a little more to worry about with the team in that situation like how come the great King who most of you already have in the Hall Of Fame could ever let in 4 goals on 8 shots. Also funny how any of the We Want Fishsticks chants never came up when the Isles were winning. Funny how that works. Anyways that's all not a big deal let's move along. Bye Bye.

Last edited by 303Joe: 12-05-2006 at 08:04 AM.
303Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 08:56 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Joe View Post
I'm not upset at all why do you think that? All I mentioned was it was funny hearing the Potvin Sucks chants with the team down 4-0. You'd think the Rangers fans would have something a little more to worry about with the team in that situation like how come the great King who most of you already have in the Hall Of Fame could ever let in 4 goals on 8 shots. Also funny how any of the We Want Fishsticks chants never came up when the Isles were winning. Funny how that works. Anyways that's all not a big deal let's move along. Bye Bye.

I think the problem is that some Islanders fans hold other teams fans to higher standards than they themselves adhere to. I mean, honestly, you know the Garden crowd, Joe. What were you expecting a mass exodus or some strategy session while the Islanders run rampant on Garden ice? That 'Potvin Sucks' chant is just a Garden thing. NOTHING changes it. I've been at games where we were losing badly to, say, Ottawa, and the whistles are still flying. This is an odd face-rub by you Joe. Thought you were one of the more diplomatic Islanders fans. Win or lose you're usually more reserved than this.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 09:06 AM
303Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
I think the problem is that some Islanders fans hold other teams fans to higher standards than they themselves adhere to. I mean, honestly, you know the Garden crowd, Joe. What were you expecting a mass exodus or some strategy session while the Islanders run rampant on Garden ice? That 'Potvin Sucks' chant is just a Garden thing. NOTHING changes it. I've been at games where we were losing badly to, say, Ottawa, and the whistles are still flying. This is an odd face-rub by you Joe. Thought you were one of the more diplomatic Islanders fans. Win or lose you're usually more reserved than this.
I'm not trying to be a wise guy. I guess I shouldn't have even brough up the Potvin chants. Somebody came back at me asking why i was angry. I wasn't upset at all believe me as I've said I've been going to Isles/Rangers games at MSG since about 1990 and know that I will always hear the chant which doesn't bother me at all. I know they chant it at every game it's part of going to MSG. It doesn't bother me I'm not mad I'm not upset that's it. In my last repsonse did I take a poke at Lunquist yes I did but I'm sure if DP let in 4 goals on 8 shots you guys would ne hammering him. Did I put a little dig in there yes I did but isn't that all part of the fun of the Isles/Rangers rivalry.

Last edited by 303Joe: 12-05-2006 at 09:16 AM.
Old
12-05-2006, 09:09 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
If this team loses Jagr, Shanahan steps up to the first line, and the fate of the team is pretty much the same as would be with Jagr.
You can't possibly think that losing Jagr wouldn't impact the Rangers in the standings.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 09:19 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
I'm not trying to be a wise guy. I guess I shouldn't have even brough up the Potvin chants. Soembody came back at me asking why i was angry. I wasn't upset at all believe me as I've said I've been going to Isles/Rangers games at MSG since about 1990 and know that I will always hear the chant which doesn't bother me at all. I know they chant it at every game it's part of going to MSG. It doesn't bother me I'm not mad I'm not upset that's it. In my last repsonse did I take a poke at Lunquist yes I did but I'm sure if DP let in 4 goals on 8 shots you guys would ne hammering him. Did I put a little dig in there yes I did but isn't that all part of the fun of the Isles/Rangers rivalry.
I know you're not mad about it. Why should you be, you're team won. Just not used to the digs coming from you. Like Trottier, you're usually more diplomatic on this board. The chant question seemed more like a platform to rub it in. And, as I said, just not used to it from you. Win or lose you always seem more interested in discussing the game. At least on out board anyway. I don't have the courage to visit the GDT on the Islanders board
Is it part of the fun? I guess. The Islanders and Rangers have sucked for so long, I don't even know what bragging rights are anymore.

Old
12-05-2006, 09:36 AM
303Joe

Quote:
I know you're not mad about it. Why should you be, you're team won. Just not used to the digs coming from you. Like Trottier, you're usually more diplomatic on this board. The chant question seemed more like a platform to rub it in. And, as I said, just not used to it from you. Win or lose you always seem more interested in discussing the game. At least on out board anyway. I don't have the courage to visit the GDT on the Islanders board
Is it part of the fun? I guess. The Islanders and Rangers have sucked for so long, I don't even know what bragging rights are anymore.
Sorry for the digs there Shawdow. I know the Isles have a long way to go. 1st good step they made was getting Nolan in here. As I said at the start of the year all I wanted the team to do under him was play hard and give an honest effort which they have done pretty well so far this year. To many times last year the team just didn'r show up and they are nowhere near a talented enough team to be taking nights off. I'm not getting all jazzed up they are in 1st asd there is a long way to go and this division is so tight you Pens 26, Rangers and Devs at 30 and Isles 31 that if you go in a 5 games slide you could be out of it in a week. As I said I'm just happy they show up every night and play hard. I'll be there on the 19th hopefully like the last game where the Refs let the 2 teams decide it and there weren'ty an obsene amount of panlaties to take away from the game. i think there were 8 PP total 2 for the Isles 6 for the Rangers. We pay money to see the teams decide the game not watch the Refs try to take over the game. Thats all I ask for win or lose is that it is decided by the teams and not some crappy calls by the Refs.

Old
12-05-2006, 10:10 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
You can't possibly think that losing Jagr wouldn't impact the Rangers in the standings.
Nah your right, I just hate everyone constant saying this team is nothing without Jagr. They may be correct, but I want to hope otherwise I guess.

I do think they could pull off a hand full of win without him. Come playoffs however, unless we see some real changes, we wouldn't go very far.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 10:14 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Sorry for the digs there Shawdow. I know the Isles have a long way to go. 1st good step they made was getting Nolan in here. As I said at the start of the year all I wanted the team to do under him was play hard and give an honest effort which they have done pretty well so far this year. To many times last year the team just didn'r show up and they are nowhere near a talented enough team to be taking nights off. I'm not getting all jazzed up they are in 1st asd there is a long way to go and this division is so tight you Pens 26, Rangers and Devs at 30 and Isles 31 that if you go in a 5 games slide you could be out of it in a week. As I said I'm just happy they show up every night and play hard. I'll be there on the 19th hopefully like the last game where the Refs let the 2 teams decide it and there weren'ty an obsene amount of panlaties to take away from the game. i think there were 8 PP total 2 for the Isles 6 for the Rangers. We pay money to see the teams decide the game not watch the Refs try to take over the game. Thats all I ask for win or lose is that it is decided by the teams and not some crappy calls by the Refs.
I knew they Islanders would have a better season. The front office circus shouldn't effect the team on the ice. And I thought some decent, blue collar guys were brought in. My biggest question was whether or not the 15 year deal would get inside of DP's head and rattle him. I'm still not confident in his abilities though. I wouldn't be comfortable with him in net if the Cup were on the line. That's just me though.
As for the Rangers, I think they'll be last year's Islander's team. There will be a games where they hit the ice and you wonder where they've been hiding the effort. And the next game they'll come out and you're like ***? The defense is fatally flawed, IMO and in no shape to help carry a team into the playoffs. Our goaltending is very shaky and the team has forgotten it's ability to play a teamwide defensive game. Which they did last year. As always, the Rangers make acquisitions that are, on paper, improvementns over what we're letting go, but the results are far less once the season starts. Go figure.

Old
12-05-2006, 10:23 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
Nah your right, I just hate everyone constant saying this team is nothing without Jagr. They may be correct, but I want to hope otherwise I guess.
Why? What is wrong with it? Every team is more or less like that. Take Miller out of Buffalo and they would be worse than even us.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 11:06 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Why? What is wrong with it? Every team is more or less like that. Take Miller out of Buffalo and they would be worse than even us.
I don't think he means it quite that way. He's referring to the notion that we're a one trick pony.

Old
12-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
There's no way you can be taken seriously with comments like that.

Fin

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 12:21 PM
94now

Quote:
I don't think he means it quite that way. He's referring to the notion that we're a one trick pony.
Roger that.

Old
12-05-2006, 12:24 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
There's no way you can be taken seriously with comments like that.

Fin
It was used to make a different point... I meant Miller as a team cornerstone, not just a man that tends the goal.

Old
12-05-2006, 12:27 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
It was used to make a different point... I meant Miller as a team cornerstone, not just a man that tends the goal.
He's a conrnerstone but theyve done ok with Biron in net as well. Some teams are solid and don't have to have an all star between the pipes. Taking away a forward who monopolizes the puck is going to change the game radically.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 12:38 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
He's a conrnerstone but theyve done ok with Biron in net as well. Some teams are solid and don't have to have an all star between the pipes. Taking away a forward who monopolizes the puck is going to change the game radically.
Exactly, ok. We are an ok team too without Jagr now. When he is back we will compete with Sabres. With real Jagr and real Lundqvist we are the real deal. We are truly blessed having those two guys. I wouldn't trade last year team for what Buffalo is now. We just are not we were last year.

Old
12-05-2006, 04:08 PM
True Blue

Quote:
With real Jagr and real Lundqvist we are the real deal. We are truly blessed having those two guys.
You mean with a superhuman Jagr & Henke we are the real deal, right? I do not see how a team that is so completely dependent on two people can be considered for real.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote