HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Can't touch a flame when its RED HOT! Canes @ Calgary 12/5

Old
12-05-2006, 11:15 AM
caniacgirl12

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to caniacgirl12 Send a message via MSN to caniacgirl12
GDT: Can't touch a flame when its RED HOT! Canes @ Calgary 12/5

@
(15-10-3 33 pts) | (12-10-2, 26 pts)

Game Info:

Pengrowth Saddledome
Game Starts at 9
Television: FSN South
Radio: Hurricanes Radio Network – WWMY 102.9 FM (Raleigh – flagship), WGHB 1250 AM/WDLX 930 AM (Greenville, Washington & New Bern, N.C.) and WFNC 640 AM (Fayetteville, N.C.)
Internet: www.carolinahurricanes.com

Goaltenders

|
Cam Ward #30 | Mikka Kiprusoff #34
2.93 .895 |2.10 .928

Special Teams and Team Leaders:

+ Calgary- PP is ranked 25th (14.8%), PK is ranked 27th (79.1%)
+ Carolina - PP is ranked 24th (14.9%), PK is ranked 10th (85.2%)
+ Goals: Calgary – Jarome Iginla (13) , Carolina – Eric Staal (16)
+ Assists: Calgary – Alex Tanguay (17) , Carolina – Rod Brind’Amour (26)
+ Points: Calgary – Jarome Iginla (27) , Carolina – Rod Brind'Amour (36)
+ PPG: Calgary – Dion Phaneuf (5), Carolina - Eric Staal (7)
+ +/-: Calgary – Matthew Lombardi (+14), Carolina – Rod Brind'Amour (+7)
+ PIM: Calgary – Darren McCarty (49), Carolina - Mike Commodore (56)

Injuries

Calgary– Forward Stephane Yelle (10/20, right ankle) is sidelined indefinitely.
Carolina - Defenseman Frantisek Kaberle (10/4, shoulder) is sidelined indefinitely.

Milestone Watch:

+ Defenseman Mike Commodore played his 100th Hurricanes game on Dec. 2 against Boston

Other Games Tonight:
+ Ottawa at NY Islanders 7:30
+ Florida at Pittsburgh 7:30
+ Buffalo at Tampa Bay 7:30
+ Atlanta at Toronto 7:30
+ Chicago at Minnesota 8
+ Detroit at St. Louis 8
+ Columbus at Colorado 9

Upcoming Games:
+ 12/6 @ Edmonton 9
+ 12/8 @ Vancouver 10
+ 12/11 @ Colorado 9:30
+ 12/15 Toronto @ Home 7:30
+ 12/16 @ Tampa Bay 7:30

12-05-2006, 11:16 AM
caniacgirl12

Before anyone asks....the GDT title is directed at this little gem here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJtJNDFwmDg

caniacgirl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 11:20 AM
impeach estaalo

There's a team with a powerplay worse than ours?

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 11:21 AM
AD

Wow. A battle of the redneck yokels!!

Heeee haaaww.

Char me up a steak and slap me Irene, cuz this one's gonna be a humdinger!

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 11:22 AM
CioCio

A nice, early GDT. Me likes!

GO CANES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's hoping we see Stillman on the ice tonight

CioCio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 11:23 AM
caniacgirl12

After looking at the picture of their stadium I have a sudden urge for sour cream and onion pringles....

Old
12-05-2006, 11:26 AM
CioCio

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacgirl12 View Post
After looking at the picture of their stadium I have a sudden urge for sour cream and onion pringles....
BBQ all the way! Pringles is the only chip that just can't pull salt & vinegar off correctly

CioCio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 11:35 AM
Canes4me

WOW Pengrowth Saddledome looks like a supersized Dorton Arena where the old Raleigh Ice Caps of the ECHL used to play prior to the Canes.

http://www.cr.nps.gov/nr/travel/raleigh/dor.htm

Canes4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 11:37 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
mmmmmm, pringles. Gotta go with the chedar cheese flavor myself.

I think of it more like the old Icecaps home myself.

This should be an interesting game tonight. One of the top defenses in the league with one of the top goalies in the league behind them going head to head with one of the most explosive offenses in the league. Should be a good one, and hopefully a good homecoming for Cory Stillman, the last time he played in Calgary (the team that drafted him) was Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals before the lockout.

Hopefully the right Hurricanes team shows up again tonight. The one that dominated in 3 of the last 4, rather then the one that was absolutely owned by the Senators.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 12:01 PM
caniacgirl12

I remember going to IceCaps and Seahawks games with my pops a looooong time ago.

I am a big Kipper fan so this should be a great game. I love playing teams from the Western Conference....

Don't forget guys, this is a 9 o'clock game!

Old
12-05-2006, 12:07 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

On another note, Team USA WJC selection is going to be on the Versus game (Chicago I think, 8PM start) durring the first intermission. There's a good chance that our defenseman Jamie McBain will be selected and an outside shot at having a second one in Kyle Lawson. So tune in for that as well, then flip over to catch the start of the Canes game.

Old
12-05-2006, 12:08 PM
Heaton
#hope

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Stillman's assist streak continues tonight!

edit: And by tonight, I mean next game against Vancouver.

Last edited by Heaton: 12-05-2006 at 01:50 PM.
Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 01:49 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Another story line is Commodore's return to Calgary, hasn't played in the Saddledome since 2004.

MrMastodonFarm* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 01:50 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Another story line is Commodore's return to Calgary, hasn't played in the Saddledome since 2004.
True enough, I don't know how I completely forgot he was on that Flames team that went to the cup finals... as well as the Ducks one now that I think of it. Unfortunitely it looks like Stillman's return might have to wait for another day though.

Old
12-05-2006, 01:57 PM
caniacgirl12

*sigh*

my picture of him probably jinxed it....

Old
12-05-2006, 01:58 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
True enough, I don't know how I completely forgot he was on that Flames team that went to the cup finals... as well as the Ducks one now that I think of it. Unfortunitely it looks like Stillman's return might have to wait for another day though.
He was with the Flames team correct, but he wasn't apart of that Ducks team in 2003, he was actually with the Flames at that point. Commodore along with JF Damphouse was traded to the Flames for Rob NIedermayer at the trade deadline in 2003.

I remember going to a Flames prospect camp during the Cup Finals in 2003 looking at those two and thinking geez.. they could be playing for the cup right now.. and now they're with this sad sack. Commodore's fate sure changed though.

MrMastodonFarm* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 02:39 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
This thread has been great so far. That thing does look like a pringle! Salt and Vinegar for me, even though they hurt my tounge.

I'm not sure if anybody remembers, but there was a poster that tried to bet anybody that would offer money that Tanguay would outscore Erik Cole by at least 20 points this year. I laughed at him. I know it's still early, but that doesn't look likely at all.

I'm scared to death of this game. It reminds me of the pre lockout games we used to play against New Jersey. If we can get them playing our game, skating up and down the ice and shooting off transition, then we take it. If we play their game, pretty much the left wing lock and neutral zone clogging where our guys can't utilize their speed, then we're out to lunch on this one.

Kipper is going to stop anything he can see. The key to this one is getting traffic in front of the net. Andrew Ladd, i'm looking straight in your direction.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 02:46 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Being that Ladd played his juniors games in Calgary he may be extra motivated for this one. Honestly I'm not sure why we haven't been using him on the powerplay for the very reason you mentioned, generating traffic in front of the goalies. With his size you'd think he'd be a natural at it. Then again, we have gone something like 1-18 of late, so I might just be on to something there.

Old
12-05-2006, 02:57 PM
Obi Wan LaRosie

Send a message via AIM to Obi Wan LaRosie Send a message via Yahoo to Obi Wan LaRosie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever View Post
This thread has been great so far. That thing does look like a pringle! Salt and Vinegar for me, even though they hurt my tounge.

I'm not sure if anybody remembers, but there was a poster that tried to bet anybody that would offer money that Tanguay would outscore Erik Cole by at least 20 points this year. I laughed at him. I know it's still early, but that doesn't look likely at all.

I'm scared to death of this game. It reminds me of the pre lockout games we used to play against New Jersey. If we can get them playing our game, skating up and down the ice and shooting off transition, then we take it. If we play their game, pretty much the left wing lock and neutral zone clogging where our guys can't utilize their speed, then we're out to lunch on this one.

Kipper is going to stop anything he can see. The key to this one is getting traffic in front of the net. Andrew Ladd, i'm looking straight in your direction.

CF....I absolutely remember that....because I told him I would take him up on that also. (with the stipulation that they played within 5 games of each other. good bet....that guy was clueless.

Obi Wan LaRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 03:03 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Before anyone asks....the GDT title is directed at this little gem here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJtJNDFwmDg
classic. just classic.

makes the chicago bears "super bowl shuffle" look hip to the jive.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 03:03 PM
CaptainCrunch67

Quote:

Calgary plays nothing like New Jersey, like all teams they do stop a winger shallow. But the Flames have a aggressive forecheck and its shown this season with a a somewhat improved offense. They've also gotten better at carrying the puck in past the blueline and setting up plays there. So if the Canes can't get the puck moving in thier defensive zone, its going to be a tough night for them. Especially in the dome where the Flames have been a pretty amazing team 5 on 5.

If there's a weakness with the Flames its with thier special teams, but thier powerplay and penalty killing has looked a lot better lately.

The Flames are also good at clearing the shooting lanes so its easier said then done in getting position in front of the net, and getting shots from the key areas.

I'm glad that Commodore is doing so well for you guys, and I'm happy to see Stillman on the mend. We've heard conflicting reports on him coming back, but I remember Stillman being a hyped first rounder who scored a lot with the Flames but didn't bring a lot to the table after that, but I've always held a soft spot for the players in the awful young guns era.

As a Flames fan I'm certainly glad that this game is in Calgary.

Good luck to the Canes tonight, just not too much.

CaptainCrunch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch67 View Post
Calgary plays nothing like New Jersey, like all teams they do stop a winger shallow. But the Flames have a aggressive forecheck and its shown this season with a a somewhat improved offense. They've also gotten better at carrying the puck in past the blueline and setting up plays there. So if the Canes can't get the puck moving in thier defensive zone, its going to be a tough night for them. Especially in the dome where the Flames have been a pretty amazing team 5 on 5.

If there's a weakness with the Flames its with thier special teams, but thier powerplay and penalty killing has looked a lot better lately.

The Flames are also good at clearing the shooting lanes so its easier said then done in getting position in front of the net, and getting shots from the key areas.

I'm glad that Commodore is doing so well for you guys, and I'm happy to see Stillman on the mend. We've heard conflicting reports on him coming back, but I remember Stillman being a hyped first rounder who scored a lot with the Flames but didn't bring a lot to the table after that, but I've always held a soft spot for the players in the awful young guns era.

As a Flames fan I'm certainly glad that this game is in Calgary.

Good luck to the Canes tonight, just not too much.
thanks for the correction, it's always good to have somebody from the opposing team step in and clear up misconceptions. Usually those made by me. They're not really so much a trap team as they are a team that thrives on puck pressure and close checking hockey. I didn't intend to imply they didn't have a forecheck, because every team in the league is following that model this year.

I like the Hurricanes chances in this one if we're able to get our skating legs. We shall see.

Old
12-05-2006, 03:07 PM
caniacgirl12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
classic. just classic.

makes the chicago bears "super bowl shuffle" look hip to the jive.
Hey now, I have the Super Bowl Shuffle 20th anniversary edition DVD.

I even know all the words.

Old
12-05-2006, 03:12 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Hey now, I have the Super Bowl Shuffle 20th anniversary edition DVD.

I even know all the words.
No football in the hockey thread. Especially after the debacle that was monday night football last night.

Old
12-05-2006, 03:26 PM
daikan
sad times

Send a message via MSN to daikan
Quote:

Yeah, this post. Right now Cole is at 27 points in 28 games and Tanguay at 22 in 24. 25 point difference.

daikan is offline   Reply With Quote