HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2014 Draft Prospect Thread: Breaking Blad - "They're Draft picks MacT, Jesus!"

View Poll Results: If the Oilers end up with the #1 overall pick, who would you select?
Sam Reinhart 16 4.92%
Aaron Ekblad 286 88.00%
William Nylander 6 1.85%
Leon Draisaitl 9 2.77%
Other (explain) 8 2.46%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-15-2013, 01:51 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

vCash: 50
Welcome to the Oilers Reinhart!

Old
10-15-2013, 02:00 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
How long until we start looking towards the draft?

So just wondering how long until this season is a right off for you guys and when you'll start looking towards the draft. For me if they don't have atleast 12 more points by the 15 game mark I think we can start writing it off. With the 3 point games and the way the rest of our division is playing I don't see any way we make it back into the playoffs if we have anything less then 15 points in 15 games. Pretty sad that we could be potentially out of the playoff hunt by mid November.

Old
10-15-2013, 02:02 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
those days are gone my friend.

Old
10-15-2013, 02:03 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

It's a write off for me already
Unless if we address the goaltending

Old
10-15-2013, 02:04 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

vCash: 500
I can hang in there til the 30 game mark or so.

Old
10-15-2013, 02:05 PM
fysloc

Wasn't october pretty much a write off after gagner went down?

And its HFboards, everybody is always looking towards the draft.

Old
10-15-2013, 02:22 PM
MikeK

vCash: 8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
It's a write off for me already
Unless if we address the goaltending
They should have done this back in June/July. Management blew it big time.

Old
10-15-2013, 02:30 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
American thanksgiving. By then we'll know for certain whether we have a shot or not.

Old
10-15-2013, 02:37 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Draft picks aren't worth **** to us now

Old
10-15-2013, 02:49 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Draft picks aren't worth **** to us now
Im not sure if this is directed at my post or not, but how long until you decide its no longer worth watching the team this season and dont put in the effort and 3 hours to watch the team and start looking at other things to fill that 3 hour slot?

Old
10-15-2013, 02:51 PM
bone

vCash: 705
I'm convinced that the Oilers have at least one 6 game winning streak, or at least 16-17 points in 10 game stretch in them this year. Unfortunately, the longer this goes on the less of an impact that stretch will have. I still can't see them finishing below .500 and as such the best the draft would produce is likely outside the top 8.

Best not to panic yet. The team is playing decently overall other than some lapses to be expected of a team learning a brand new system and experiencing horrifying goaltending. There is bound to be a hot streak here soon to progress the goaltending numbers back to the mean and then all should be okay.

Fluke out a win or point tonight, and the next 5 games are against winnable opponents making October salvageable (remember we expected a bad start due to the injuries to our top 2 centres pre-season).

Old
10-15-2013, 03:00 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bone View Post
I'm convinced that the Oilers have at least one 6 game winning streak, or at least 16-17 points in 10 game stretch in them this year. Unfortunately, the longer this goes on the less of an impact that stretch will have. I still can't see them finishing below .500 and as such the best the draft would produce is likely outside the top 8.

Best not to panic yet. The team is playing decently overall other than some lapses to be expected of a team learning a brand new system and experiencing horrifying goaltending. There is bound to be a hot streak here soon to progress the goaltending numbers back to the mean and then all should be okay.

Fluke out a win or point tonight, and the next 5 games are against winnable opponents making October salvageable (remember we expected a bad start due to the injuries to our top 2 centres pre-season).
I'll feel a lot better if MacT makes a deal for a goaltender in the next couple days. And we were expecting a bad October due to RNH being out and expecting Arcobello not to be able to hold his own. With RNH coming back and Arcobello playing pretty well I dont think we can use that for an excuse anymore. The system is definitely still a work in progress but they are learning and I'm not expecting miracle with that and hoping they can start shutting teams down within the next 20 games. But we absolutely need to address the goaltending within the next few games if we want to get back in the playoff chase IMO.

Old
10-15-2013, 07:29 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Trade all of our draft picks in this year's draft for immediate help. Don't even show up to the draft.

Old
10-15-2013, 08:25 PM
Mav3rick07
Hall-Hopkins-Yakupov

This many games, only one win. Hard not to start writing the season off already, we're looking just pathetic sofar.

Old
10-16-2013, 05:41 AM
tru_gq

Shart for Reinhart

I'm still holding out hope we right the ship but the shaky goaltending and the defensive lapses are making me worried. The line juggling has to stop and we need Gagner back. That being said,it would be great to end up with Reinhart .

Starting the Shart for Reinhart thread early as if we have less than 15 points after 20 games I think we will end up bottom 5.

Last edited by tru_gq: 10-16-2013 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old
10-16-2013, 05:49 AM
Horseradish

No. No more. I'd rather finish 1 point out of the playoffs than get another lottery pick.

Old
10-16-2013, 05:52 AM
tiger_80

I'd rather trade the lottery pick for someone like J.Benn or one of Colorado's top centres.

Old
10-16-2013, 06:03 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
If we are still going in such a direction 2 months from now, then I hope that we trade 2 or 3 big pieces and in each trade that we get 1-2 different kind of players which are harder to play against.

Right now I'd want to say that only Hopkins, Hall and Justin Schultz should be off of the trade table, but if we're forced to look at ourselves as a bottom 5 team again then I'd ultimately just say that Hopkins is off of the trade table.

Old
10-16-2013, 06:04 AM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
If we are still going in such a direction 2 months from now, then I hope that we trade 2 or 3 big pieces and in each trade that we get 1-2 different kind of players which are harder to play against.

Right now I'd want to say that only Hopkins, Hall and Justin Schultz should be off of the trade table, but if we're forced to look at ourselves as a bottom 5 team again then I'd ultimately just say that Hopkins is off of the trade table.
J.Schultz should be the first to go along with Eberle and Gagner. One trick pony.

Old
10-16-2013, 06:08 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
J.Schultz should be the first to go along with Eberle and Gagner. One trick pony.
I'd just as easily have Yakupov on that list as well.

We and all of those other fanbases out there can laugh all of they want, but maybe we owe Hemsky an apology. We've spoken of getting rid of his injury prone ass for so many years, but he's done a lot for us. He's done a lot without complaining and he's sacrificed a lot.

Old
10-16-2013, 06:49 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

I think that Hemsky and Yak would be gone before Eberle goes anywhere. and I doubt Nuge goes before Gagner does either, but trading centers with such a thin amount of good ones in the system isn't something I would want to do at the moment.

Old
10-16-2013, 07:01 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
I think that Hemsky and Yak would be gone before Eberle goes anywhere. and I doubt Nuge goes before Gagner does either, but trading centers with such a thin amount of good ones in the system isn't something I would want to do at the moment.
One thing you need to ask yourself is WHO is used to losing and who is hard to play against?

Let's say you traded Gagner, Acrobello, Eberle, Dubby, Yakupov, our 2014 1st rounder and Justin Schultz and went looking for a tougher 2nd line center, a power forward winger, a starting goalie and a top pairing d-man.

Yeah. I know. That's a helluva shopping list, but that's also a ton of talent to put on the table.

Hall-Hopkins-Power forward
Perron-Tougher center-Hemsky
Joensuu -Gordon- unknown/Jones/something else we get out of the deal(s)
Gazdic-Action/something else we get out of the deal(s)-Brown/Jones

Smid-Legit #1 d-man
Ference-Petry
Schultz - Belov

Real starting goalie
Lolbarbara

That's a helluva lot of changes, but it's the direction we need to go in if we want to get in the right direction. We need to shoot for pieces that will make us a team that will:

1: Put the fear of god into other players by wearing them physically
2: Give us a chance to win every night
3: Have the right quality of depth at all positions.

If you ask me, that team I just drew out there looks very powerful. If Mac-T were able to make that happen over the next season, we'd easily be a playoff team for the 14/15 season and after that the Oilers would need to start paying more attention to minor league development and scouting to keep the ball rolling.

Old
10-16-2013, 07:53 AM
Horseradish

Quote:
One thing you need to ask yourself is WHO is used to losing and who is hard to play against?

Let's say you traded Gagner, Acrobello, Eberle, Dubby, Yakupov, our 2014 1st rounder and Justin Schultz and went looking for a tougher 2nd line center, a power forward winger, a starting goalie and a top pairing d-man.

Yeah. I know. That's a helluva shopping list, but that's also a ton of talent to put on the table.

Smid-Legit #1 d-man
Ference-Petry
Schultz - Belov

Real starting goalie
Lolbarbara

That's a helluva lot of changes, but it's the direction we need to go in if we want to get in the right direction. We need to shoot for pieces that will make us a team that will:

If you ask me, that team I just drew out there looks very powerful. If Mac-T were able to make that happen over the next season, we'd easily be a playoff team for the 14/15 season and after that the Oilers would need to start paying more attention to minor league development and scouting to keep the ball rolling.
Yeah, 1st line power forwards and legit #1 d-men are just the easiest darn pieces to come by. Every team wants one, very few have one.

Also, any team whose depth is such garbage that they're playing ANY of Gazdic, Acton, or Brown on the 4th line is not a playoff team. Those guys don't put fear into anything-- if anything, other teams are licking their chops to get out there on the ice against them cuz none of them can play hockey at an NHL level and teams would love to tee off their scoring lines against them.

Old
10-16-2013, 08:04 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
Yeah, 1st line power forwards and legit #1 d-men are just the easiest darn pieces to come by. Every team wants one, very few have one.

Also, any team whose depth is such garbage that they're playing ANY of Gazdic, Acton, or Brown on the 4th line is not a playoff team. Those guys don't put fear into anything-- if anything, other teams are licking their chops to get out there on the ice against them cuz none of them can play hockey at an NHL level and teams would love to tee off their scoring lines against them.
You're 100% correct. Not going to get it in one move, but if you take those pieces you've got what it takes to land that stuff if you're targeting teams that need more skill.

Old
10-16-2013, 08:04 AM
tiger_80

Quote:

Smid-Legit #1 d-man
Ference-Petry
Schultz - Belov

Real starting goalie
Lolbarbara

I think that's what will have to happen basically. We need a goal-tender, 1D, 2C, and maybe a power forward as well.

Eberle, Yakupov, Gagner, J.Schultz, Klefbom, Marincin, 1st in 2014 can get some pretty good pieces.

Closed Thread