HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread

Old
10-15-2013, 11:46 PM
mattcoco35

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnewby View Post
Deciding to give the RBZ a shot now that they're on sale. But, I can't decide which curve I want to get. I currently use a Backstrom, and I know that the RNH is the closest CCM curve. But I want to try something new. I'd like something somewhat similar and I have been debating between the Landeskog and the Tavares. Any opinions on those?

E: Or should I pony up another 25 bucks to get an APX?
Pony Up!

Old
10-16-2013, 12:20 AM
ConoR187

Send a message via AIM to ConoR187
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnewby View Post
Deciding to give the RBZ a shot now that they're on sale. But, I can't decide which curve I want to get. I currently use a Backstrom, and I know that the RNH is the closest CCM curve. But I want to try something new. I'd like something somewhat similar and I have been debating between the Landeskog and the Tavares. Any opinions on those?

E: Or should I pony up another 25 bucks to get an APX?
need to get a new backup also

im on a quest to find a p88 kane curve with a 5 lie.. anyone know if the hossa curve is close?

Old
10-16-2013, 09:34 AM
AIREAYE

Hossa is a clone. Don't worry about the lie numbers, focus more on eyeballing the two curves and making sure the height of your stick is optimal.

Old
10-16-2013, 10:54 AM
ConoR187

Send a message via AIM to ConoR187
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Hossa is a clone. Don't worry about the lie numbers, focus more on eyeballing the two curves and making sure the height of your stick is optimal.
cant make it to an lhs without driving 4+ hours so i need to rely on people who have owned/tried both

point is i like the 5 lie on a past stamkos, and the curve on the kane and would like to try both combined

Old
10-16-2013, 11:17 AM
AIREAYE

Are you finding that your heel has more ice contact than the rest of the blade? If so, cut your stick or shorten your knob by a bit.

Old
10-17-2013, 12:04 PM
Ruhnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkatingDead View Post
Excellent thread!!! Has anyone tried the Reebok Ribcor yet??? I'm a Reebok stick fan, so I'm curious what this "pre-loaded" thing is all about...
I've never used a Reebok before, but I have a fetish for latest tech and buzzword heavy sticks, aka I'm a sucker. So of course, I bought a RIBCOR. Played with it last night for the first time, so not a full review really, but it is greatness. Blade is very stiff but feel is good, puck handling seemed fine. The extra pop on my shots was immediately noticeable. I took a snapper and nailed the crossbar, and the puck shot straight up into the roof...I have never done that before lol. I am a rec player and never have had a firm grasp on the "loading" aspect of my shooting mechanics, so I look at the pre-loading aspect of this stick as being very noob-friendly. The less work I have to do while shooting, the better.

Old
10-17-2013, 11:39 PM
DJ Breadman

Hey guys, i've been using warrior for about 10 years, started out with an innovative kovalev curve then to mac daddy when they stopped making them I used dolomites, i have to say i hate the new warrior sticks the feel is gone, I hate the one I used last year no feel and I didn't like the low kick point just not the same as the old mac daddy's and dolomites. So at the end of last season i grabbed a reebok 9k with a phenouf curve that someone had on the bench that no one was using, I loved it. I'm looking to get a new reebok stick with the phe curve but can't find any 9k's around, I noticed they have ribcores now, I live in a small place so I can't take a look at one, is this stick drastically different from the 9k's? I really liked the blade on the 9 k, any help would be great

Old
10-18-2013, 09:17 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Can't help you with any ideas but I heard you on the Warrior feel. The newer stuff just can't match the Dolomites kick. They are light and the blades have good puck feel but the low kick doesn't feel right to me.

Check out Hockey Monkey, they have tons of clearance Warriors all the time.

Old
10-18-2013, 11:16 AM
Ruhnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Can't help you with any ideas but I heard you on the Warrior feel. The newer stuff just can't match the Dolomites kick. They are light and the blades have good puck feel but the low kick doesn't feel right to me.

Check out Hockey Monkey, they have tons of clearance Warriors all the time.
Have you guys looked at the Dynasty lineup? People on MSH rave about them, they are mid kick.

Old
10-18-2013, 03:19 PM
pdogfizzle
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
Hey guys, i've been using warrior for about 10 years, started out with an innovative kovalev curve then to mac daddy when they stopped making them I used dolomites, i have to say i hate the new warrior sticks the feel is gone, I hate the one I used last year no feel and I didn't like the low kick point just not the same as the old mac daddy's and dolomites. So at the end of last season i grabbed a reebok 9k with a phenouf curve that someone had on the bench that no one was using, I loved it. I'm looking to get a new reebok stick with the phe curve but can't find any 9k's around, I noticed they have ribcores now, I live in a small place so I can't take a look at one, is this stick drastically different from the 9k's? I really liked the blade on the 9 k, any help would be great
I just got the Reebok 10 K and I would say its very similar and a little better for me. It's also easier to find online. I was looking for a 9K forever with a Datsyuk righty curve but also couldn't find one. 10K is the way to go

Old
10-18-2013, 03:47 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhnie View Post
Have you guys looked at the Dynasty lineup? People on MSH rave about them, they are mid kick.
I had a Dynasty last year, it was better than the Covert I have now but I still think those old Dolomites had a little more pop to them. I also have a Montreal stick that I suspect is an old Dolomite shaft and it has plenty of pop to it (although the blade sucks).

Old
10-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Ruhnie

Quote:
I had a Dynasty last year, it was better than the Covert I have now but I still think those old Dolomites had a little more pop to them. I also have a Montreal stick that I suspect is an old Dolomite shaft and it has plenty of pop to it (although the blade sucks).
I hear ya. I never had any Dolomites but really loved the Mac Daddy, had 2 of em. RIP

Old
10-18-2013, 10:41 PM
SacredPetra

My new sticks (CCM U+ Crazy Light and a Mako) came in today so I messed around with them at stick l and puck, and wow! It was so much better playing with a stick with a lighter flex that didn't have to be cut way down ( like the warrior intermediates that are 3" longer).

Old
10-20-2013, 03:21 AM
YesYesYall

I'm currently living in Puerto Rico and wanted to buy a few cheap Sherwood 5030 wood sticks (or any cheap Sherwood wood). I tried looking at the sites suggested earlier in the thread (Ice Warehouse, Hockey Giant, Hockey Monkey), but the shipping costs are way too much. Does anybody know of any other sites that I could possibly look at?

Old
10-29-2013, 01:05 AM
3koma

hi guys
i do have a problem with my broken Easton RS stick. Most of my OPS broken near blade or cracking blade due to shooting or check with other player stick. but not this time, it broken at 1/3 from blade because somebody hit with me.
after i checked my broken stick, there was a piece of foam inside at inner stick, would like to check this is normal or not? Sorry that i forgot to take a picture before i through it away.

Old
10-29-2013, 05:20 AM
jazzykat

sub 100 USD Stick advice

I will be in the market for a new stick with intermediate flex ~65-70. I live in Austria, so super sales and selection are both limited. I am happy with a one of the more standard curves in order of preference (nash, iglina, or sakic) Can anyone recommend some middle of the road sticks (say US ~$70 because they will be about ~100Euros here) that are 1. well balanced (I know...most cheap sticks are blade heavy), 2. lighter (under 500g is ideal but not first priority)? I will play with a 55"-56" stick so the final flex will be around 70-75 I imagine. I really can't shoot well so I am just working on all my shots, although I seem to be better at wrist shots than all the others right now (in terms of accuracy and power).

FYI: I am looking at an Easton 65 rsII

Thanks!

Last edited by jazzykat: 10-29-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old
10-29-2013, 10:07 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3koma View Post
hi guys
i do have a problem with my broken Easton RS stick. Most of my OPS broken near blade or cracking blade due to shooting or check with other player stick. but not this time, it broken at 1/3 from blade because somebody hit with me.
after i checked my broken stick, there was a piece of foam inside at inner stick, would like to check this is normal or not? Sorry that i forgot to take a picture before i through it away.
Never seen the inside of a blade before? The vast majority have foam cores.

Old
10-29-2013, 06:32 PM
hilega

Discount Sticks

Looking at some discount sticks on hockeymonkey under $100. I'm 32, 5'10 160lbs taking an adult level 2 learn to play class. Looking to get more velocity (technique needs improvement as well) on my wrist/snap shots (not taking any slappers) and better puck feel. Currently have a Int 65 Stealth 55S (heavy at 536g, dull, whippy, hate it) and an Int 65 Stealth 55S II (much better feel, completely different taper, just a little heavy, pretty good stick for the price). For the same price (or cheaper) as the 65S II or 75S II I can get the sticks below and I am looking for something much lighter.

Looking at Int 65/70 or Sr 75 sticks:

Crazy Light (432g)
Crazy Strong (432g)
Diablo (440g)
Dolomite DD (470g)

Thoughts?

Old
10-29-2013, 07:41 PM
AIREAYE

This is a personal preference question, so you'll hear many different answers and reasoning. From dealing in all of the above, I would say that you honestly could just pick one randomly, especially for what you are doing. That said, I say Crazy Strong for the extra durability and Dolomite for its versatility and dependability.

Old
10-30-2013, 02:47 AM
3koma

Quote:
Never seen the inside of a blade before? The vast majority have foam cores.
Foam was not find at blade, it was found broken area which 1/3 of lower shaft.Due to i did not break at such place before, so i just wonder it is normal or not.And they are not high density foam or high end foam.It just like a piece of toys foam which stuff at inner shaft.

Old
10-30-2013, 10:25 AM
AIREAYE

Depends on how the stick is fused. Shouldn't be if any concern.

Old
10-30-2013, 10:29 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
This is a personal preference question, so you'll hear many different answers and reasoning. From dealing in all of the above, I would say that you honestly could just pick one randomly, especially for what you are doing. That said, I say Crazy Strong for the extra durability and Dolomite for its versatility and dependability.
+1 on that

I would lean towards the Dolomite in 75 flex at your height. They are good sticks. If you have no pattern preference, I'd recommend the Kovalchuk.

Old
10-30-2013, 12:53 PM
hilega

Warrior

Quote:
+1 on that

I would lean towards the Dolomite in 75 flex at your height. They are good sticks. If you have no pattern preference, I'd recommend the Kovalchuk.
Thanks for the recs. I was hoping you two (AA) would chime in. It looks like there are some 75 pro stocks dolo's available (not concerned with breaking really, but I would like a Mid, Med curve, closed-slightly open -- currently use a Hall blade). Probably won't go with a PS stick (too much uncertainty).

Can you cut down the "+3" Warrior shafts without affecting flex? 63" seems a bit much compared to my 58.5" Int Stealth 55S II.

EDIT: found my answer ...

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums...-lineup/page-2

Probably going to go with a Sr 75 CS or Diablo from hm.

Last edited by hilega: 10-30-2013 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Found the answer to my stick length/flex question
Old
10-30-2013, 02:14 PM
mistrhanky

I bought to Dolo's and a Diablo last year in a 75, RH, Vanek and love them. I think they are a GREAT value for the money and I am an old guy starting my third season, so probably only about a year more play than you have. Having an ill fitting stick has a lot more effect than you might think it does. I know the Diablo has the lower kick point, but I am still happy with it. Dolo's are super though.

Old
10-31-2013, 03:26 PM
youthoftoday

I'm not a stick guy at all. I've been playing less than 3 years now and I'm still trying to figure out what I like and what fits me best. I'm 5'11, 160 and mainly shoot wristers/snap shots.
Just curious, are those Warrior pro stocks that Hockey Monkey carries any good? With their current 20% off, they're less than $100. I'm not someone who wants to spend a lot on a stick. Are these sticks better value than getting a mid level Warrior/Bauer/Eaton? How would they compare to say a Warrior Diablo or Bauer Vapor X6.0 which are around the same price?

Closed Thread