HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tue., Oct. 15 2013|Canucks 3 at Flyers 2

Old
10-16-2013, 01:04 AM
achdumeingute

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
I thought they looked a hell of a lot better tonight, well except for the whole scoring goals thing.

If not for that crap bounce I think the Flyers would have squeeked out a win.
I agree, the overall play has been much improved since the coach change.

they are just scuffling at the moment. hit 3 posts tonight and had that awful bounce on the Kessler goal. just can't buy any luck right now.

and our power play....yeesh.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 01:14 AM
Garbage Goal

Yeah if it weren't for that damned whole scoring goals thing.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 01:20 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
gosh darn it. they are trying really hard.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 01:21 AM
PropJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
I agree, the overall play has been much improved since the coach change.

they are just scuffling at the moment. hit 3 posts tonight and had that awful bounce on the Kessler goal. just can't buy any luck right now.

and our power play....yeesh.
This is why we shouldn't react so negatively to one game and the overall record. Sure, 1-6 sucks and the last the three game losing streak has been disappointing. That being said, I feel a hell of a lot better about this team than I did after the Florida game and that was a win. Phoenix, Detroit, and Vancouver are pretty tough teams and we played them all well. If we could've stayed out of the box in Detroit we easily could've won that game. Expectations need to be lowered a bit during this adjustment period to Berube's system.

Goalies are not consistently going to be posting .950 SV% against us throughout the season, the goals will come. They probably won't be an offensive juggernaut but it will get better at little bit from almost guaranteed approve production from the PP. That almost exact same unit was top 5 last season. Teams go through PP droughts all the time, ours is just coming at a very noticeable time.

One adjustment that I think needs to be made is keeping Schenn at C long-term. After watching the way he played the last two games with pretty sub-standard line mates there's no doubt in my mind that's the place he needs to be long-term. I hope Berube recognizes this and I think that he will because the guy seems to be a pretty decent coach. Ok so I'm definitely just rambling here but either way people are overreacting.

PropJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 01:58 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
What I do know is the breakout has only gotten better and better with Berube at the helm.

Now if they can work on creating chances on offense, that would be nice. They have 2ish lines that can get the puck into the zone and generally keep it there, but only generate perimeter shots.

They've looked too ambitious with their one timers from behind the goal line. Instead of passing to someone out in front on the same side, they try to go through the defense to the opposite side every single time. If the D doesn't deflect the pass they hit the goalie with it. I don't think it's connected a single time. They need to try for something simpler. Something that actually gets to a teammate with a chance of putting it on net in a higher percentage area.

Edit: They continue to get outnumbered in puck battles along the boards, too. Don't bother dumping it in deep if you're only gonna send 1 or 2 guys to take on 3 or 4. Even if you win, the winner is getting hassled immediately.

10-16-2013, 02:58 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I dont understand why Coburn wasnt moved in the off-season
...maybe because he has a 4.5 M cap hit and plays like Randy ****ing Jones!

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 05:27 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
They will rebound eventually. It's just that it gets late early when you're 1-6.
From Elliotte Friedman's latest 30 thoughts:
"From 2005-06 through 2011-12, just three of 32 teams who were four points out of a playoff position on November 1 recovered to make it."

The might rebound like they did last year and big good enough just to miss the great talent in the draft. Not to be too negative, but this team just doesn't have the elite talent to win in this league. Chicago has 3 maybe 4 players that are top 10 at their position in the league. The kings have 3. Boston 3. Pittsburgh 2 with both arguable the top 2 players in the entire league. Is it a shock that they have each won a Stanley cup the last 4 years? The flyers have what? Maybe Giroux. I am not so sure anymore especially the way he plays defense. I think he was around Briere too much. He was closest man on the 2nd goal and could of rotated over but stood there guarding ice like Coburn.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 06:44 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Went to the game. Like the Red Wings game, there were positives, but it's getting depressing saying 'at least they played well' in a game they lost. Observations:

- The PP sucks.
- About midway through the third, I thought Luke Schenn had gotten hurt because I hadn't seen him. Someone posted his TOI....I guess that explains it, but I don't get why.
- Tortorella's an annoyingly good coach. He puts his mark on his teams. He adapts (splitting up the Sedins), and he got the win.
- I spent a lot of time watching Couturier. He may not be generating the offense a lot of us would like to see, but he's a really ****ing good defensive player. He's in the right position 99% of the time and brings a calming presence to our defensive game. Very impressive for 20 years old.
- Way too much play on the perimeter. Crash the net for the love of John LeClair.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 06:52 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

So what draft prospects should I start following?

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 06:53 AM
Totally Radivojevic

At one point, the Flyers had a 3 on 2 and Couturier's backhand pass to the left wing was about 5 feet in front of him. I keep looking for any signs that he has an offensive game, and come away frustrated every time.

Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 06:54 AM
Totally Radivojevic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
I like William Nylander.

Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 07:13 AM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
This team stinks, bottom line. We can break it down as much to try to find positives, but overall, good teams wins games and they are now almost 10% way through this season and have 1 win.

This team went from 7-8 20 goal scorers to wondering if they have even 2 or 3. Nobody can score anymore. The only two goals were grinding garbage goals in front of the net, does nobody on this team have any god damn skill to shoot past a goalie anymore?

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 07:41 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
The offense will come. These guys have too much talent to just suck. They may not be Cup contenders, but once they get a little confidence, I think they'll start to put the puck in the net a little more.

At least Mason has looked good...

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 07:41 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Aaron ekblad. Follow him regardless because he is going to be a stud

Also Sami kaps kid is a pretty damn good player.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 07:51 AM

I've had enough, it's time to make some moves in the week off. It's time to wake some of these f**kers up and get some fresh heads involved who may have had a competent pre-season. Get rid of Coburn, Simmonds/Hartnell and i'd even be tempted to trade Couturier even though he's not really been the problem. I'd obviously keep McGinn up, keep Raffl, bring up others too. The vets aren't getting it done, our last four goals have been scored by call-ups.

The vets have proven they can't do it. They've proven they don't give a **** and don't have the mental stamina to play three damn periods of hockey. If it weren't for Tim Thomas we'd be 0-7 right now and that's with Vezina-standard netminding from Mase.

But then again...what's the point? If we improve and make the play-offs we've got zero chance of winning the damn thing so should we aim for Ekblad? Oh wait, we're not Pittsburgh. We try.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 07:52 AM
flyershockey

This team won't win a thing until the best forwards start producing. It's ridiculous that we're almost 10% of the way through the season and Giroux, Voracek, Read, Simmonds, and Couturier have a combined zero goals. The defensemen have been breaking the puck out beautifully too, so that excuse can no longer be used.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 09:34 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Aaron ekblad. Follow him regardless because he is going to be a stud

Also Sami kaps kid is a pretty damn good player.

I'm not sure how I feel about using a first round pick on a 29 year old.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 09:37 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
This team won't win a thing until the best forwards start producing. It's ridiculous that we're almost 10% of the way through the season and Giroux, Voracek, Read, Simmonds, and Couturier have a combined zero goals. The defensemen have been breaking the puck out beautifully too, so that excuse can no longer be used.
Read has had good chances, including hitting the bar last night.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 09:37 AM
SolidSnakeUS

That's a ****ing awesome beard for his age.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 09:43 AM
OgbertTheNerd
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Read and Mason have been the Flyers best players throughout this short season. Glad they signed Read to an extension; he consistently plays well.

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 09:47 AM
SuchySays

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgbertTheNerd View Post
Read and Mason have been the Flyers best players throughout this short season. Glad they signed Read to an extension; he consistently plays well.
0 points.

SuchySays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 09:49 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Unfortunately, results are the only thing that matters. That whole horseshoes and hand grenades thing.

Old
10-16-2013, 09:58 AM
Zod
Disappointment Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Unfortunately, results are the only thing that matters.
Results matter but they're sure as hell not the only thing that should be looked at.

Read has consistently looked good out there. Simmonds got a point on Saturday (in a game we still lost.) Who's the better player right now?

Giroux has 2 points and zero goals. He's looked lost or lazy plenty, turning his effort on and off. He's being paid 8 million.

At this point, I'd rather see Read on the ice than either of them. He's putting in consistent effort and making less mistakes. That's worth more to me than tacking on a point or two in a loss.

Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 10:04 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zod View Post
Results matter but they're sure as hell not the only thing that should be looked at.

Read has consistently looked good out there. Simmonds got a point on Saturday (in a game we still lost.) Who's the better player right now?

Giroux has 2 points and zero goals. He's looked lost or lazy plenty, turning his effort on and off. He's being paid 8 million.

At this point, I'd rather see Read on the ice than either of them. He's putting in consistent effort and making less mistakes. That's worth more to me than tacking on a point or two in a loss.
I don't disagree with that, but the point still stands. No one's excited that Read looks tenacious when they're 1-6 and he has zero points. He'll get his due if he starts putting up points and they start winning. That's just how professional sports work. There's no participation ribbons.

Old
10-16-2013, 10:12 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:

I'm not sure how I feel about using a first round pick on a 29 year old.

My buddy, who is a hockey guy ( ex College player and AAA Midget coach) saw him in his first year of exceptional status, and he said he was the best player on the ice at that young age. Ekblad could very well be a number 1 D man, but Im sure BCF16 could shed some knowledge on him.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote