HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Fire AV, Fire Sather. This is a bad hockey team.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-15-2013, 01:20 PM
  #426
Aufheben
Moderator
Crick Nash
 
Aufheben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The jam must flow...
Country: Angola
Posts: 10,108
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
No idea why the Sabres would do that, but I'd pass. Vanek is likely going to go to Minnesota in the summer, and I'd want a return that can stay with the club beyond this season if I was moving Girardi.

Send him to the Leafs for Gardiner and Biggs. A kid that can play now, and who fits the transition game we've been playing, and a kid who can help Hartford and possibly develop into that aggressive 3rd line power-winger we've been lacking for years.
This is what I would really like to see.

Aufheben is offline  
Old
10-15-2013, 01:43 PM
  #427
NYRKindms
Registered User
 
NYRKindms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
if we are not "contenders" by the deadline and our most important player is not locked up, trading Girardi is going to be the least of our worries.

just sayin
I have been thinking more and more that the Rangers need to let Hank walk and get what they can for him.

He is already at peak or peaked. He is on the other side of 30. He will be looking for a LOT of $$ and in the modern NHL I don't think having a lot of money tied up in your goalie is a good idea.

He has been everything to this Organization but I think the ship has sailed on his opportunity to win it all here. I cant see paying him 8 or 9 million when the team struggles to score goals every night.

NYRKindms is online now  
Old
10-15-2013, 01:50 PM
  #428
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I completely agree with the fourth paragraph. I'm just tired of the mentality of "Well, if we get in you never know." or "Nobody would want to face us in the first round."
Agreed. It's really sad to see this team use Lundqvist as a crutch every season. I wouldn't blame the guy one bit if he walked away at the end of the year -- or informed the team at the deadline he wouldn't be re-signing.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
10-15-2013, 03:06 PM
  #429
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
They've gone back to their bad habits of tossing in draft picks. The Clowe trade and the way it was structured was so stupid and short-sighted. To lose a 2nd when you don't have a first is criminal in a salary cap world. To add a clause that punishes you for signing your own UFA is equally dumb.
SBOB--I always thought that the draft picks for Clowe were because Sather didn't want to lose any of his prospects (no source, just my feeling). Sather doesn't care about the long-term anymore (whether he ever did is another question entirely), he's focused on winning one more ring before he retires and expects it to happen in the next season or two. The Man Behind the Curtain will trade any and all prospects/draft picks away at this point if he thinks it will get him that ring.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline  
Old
10-15-2013, 03:15 PM
  #430
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,978
vCash: 500
If that's his objective then he shouldn't be trying to move pieces like that. They won't get far if that's th damned case.

Silence Of The Plams is offline  
Old
10-15-2013, 03:26 PM
  #431
showjaxx
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,531
vCash: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
SBOB--I always thought that the draft picks for Clowe were because Sather didn't want to lose any of his prospects (no source, just my feeling)
Draft picks are prospects.

showjaxx is offline  
Old
10-15-2013, 04:47 PM
  #432
JHS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 93
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Bravo. Especially RE prospect development. There are a lot of posts saying to play the kids because "they can't be any worse." Putting aside that that is not even necessarily true, that is not how a successful franchise should view playing their young players. The focus should be on - what is going to net the best results long term? Hell even mid-term - end of this season / early next season. Getting shuttled back and forth, being told "you're ready...no wait you're not", not getting even enough practice time to establish chemistry with your teammates, etc is just not in the long term interest of these prospects. I don't believe that.

If we had a solid core a la, for example, SJ, that needed an energy/motivation boost - fine. If Miller, Kreider, etc was expected to come up and ride shotgun for a line that could fundamentally play hockey - ya know complete a pass, break out, forecheck - fine. That isn't the case here because the team is lacking 1. talent 2. an identity and 3. any signs of mental strength.
I don't understand posts like this. How can bringing up a prospect from the minors to see what he can do vs NHL level talent during a time when potential top 6 ice time can be given to supposed "top 6 potential players" ruin them? Look if Miller and Krieder are potential top 6 players, now is the time to see that. Not years from now after toiling in the minors beating up on second tier competition. Top athletes rise to the expectations of others- if they have the skill to do so. What kills prospects is a lack of confidence shown in them by the organization, or a lack of skill.

Plus, no one likes to use the Islanders on this board as a example but, by the logic of " the organization must have a strong core in place" the islanders never would have put John Tavarese in the NHL. By that logic, number one draft picks would never get to play the year after they were drafted because obviously the team that picks first in the draft did not have a "good core" if they finished last in the NHL they year before.

JHS is offline  
Old
10-16-2013, 12:06 AM
  #433
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMollyOxenFree View Post
Draft picks are prospects.
Draft picks become players 3-5 years down the road. Sather is interested in the here and now.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline  
Old
10-16-2013, 10:26 AM
  #434
Tawnos
Moderator
BoH Mod Only
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHS View Post
I don't understand posts like this. How can bringing up a prospect from the minors to see what he can do vs NHL level talent during a time when potential top 6 ice time can be given to supposed "top 6 potential players" ruin them? Look if Miller and Krieder are potential top 6 players, now is the time to see that. Not years from now after toiling in the minors beating up on second tier competition. Top athletes rise to the expectations of others- if they have the skill to do so. What kills prospects is a lack of confidence shown in them by the organization, or a lack of skill.

Plus, no one likes to use the Islanders on this board as a example but, by the logic of " the organization must have a strong core in place" the islanders never would have put John Tavarese in the NHL. By that logic, number one draft picks would never get to play the year after they were drafted because obviously the team that picks first in the draft did not have a "good core" if they finished last in the NHL they year before.
John Tavares is a different case. There isn't a blanket way to handle prospects. Tavares was ready for the NHL the day he was drafted because his skill is overwhelming. That's not true for any of these guys. Matt Moulson played most of 3 seasons in the AHL, though not with the Isles organization. Frans Nielson played most of 2 seasons there. Okposo 1 year, and he could've arguably used more. Bailey didn't spend much time in the AHL, and also could've probably used some time there. The point is that you don't use the same exact tactics with every player.

Tawnos is offline  
Old
10-16-2013, 10:44 AM
  #435
Raspewtin
Kreidizzle
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Howard Beach, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,967
vCash: 500
A little OT but I would love that Girardi-Gardiner trade. Makes complete sense for both sides, especially if Phaneuf is staying with the Leafs. And I've always really liked Tyler Biggs. Plus a first is always nice lol, especially because even with Girardi I don't see the Leafs doing anything in the playoffs. However, I feel the Leafs will send a contract our way to free up space, Clarkson and Bozak contracts are really hitting them in the wallet.

Raspewtin is offline  
Old
10-16-2013, 10:46 AM
  #436
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
John Tavares is a different case. There isn't a blanket way to handle prospects. Tavares was ready for the NHL the day he was drafted because his skill is overwhelming. That's not true for any of these guys. Matt Moulson played most of 3 seasons in the AHL, though not with the Isles organization. Frans Nielson played most of 2 seasons there. Okposo 1 year, and he could've arguably used more. Bailey didn't spend much time in the AHL, and also could've probably used some time there. The point is that you don't use the same exact tactics with every player.
Agreed.

Tavares is a #1 overall pick and going to be a generational talent.

Why don't you ask the Islanders how things went with Nino.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
10-16-2013, 10:50 AM
  #437
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,015
vCash: 873
Going to post something in the Trade section.

God help my soul.


pld459666 is offline  
Old
10-16-2013, 11:19 AM
  #438
Tawnos
Moderator
BoH Mod Only
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Agreed.

Tavares is a #1 overall pick and going to be a generational talent.

Why don't you ask the Islanders how things went with Nino.
Who incidentally has looked pretty good out in Minnesota. Not on top of the world, but at least he looks like an NHLer.

Tawnos is offline  
Old
10-16-2013, 04:28 PM
  #439
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,884
vCash: 500
I'd like to propose a trade right here:

Let's send Nash, Dorsett, Brassard and Moore to Columbus for Gaborik, Dubinsky, Anisimov and Erixon. That will make us a better team.

Columbus can throw in Fedor Tyutin for virtually nothing, since that's exactly what we received from Columbus for Tyutin...virtually nothing.

Jersey Girl is offline  
Old
10-16-2013, 04:31 PM
  #440
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,778
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
I'd like to propose a trade right here:

Let's send Nash, Dorsett, Brassard and Moore to Columbus for Gaborik, Dubinsky, Anisimov and Erixon. That will make us a better team.

Columbus can throw in Fedor Tyutin for virtually nothing, since that's exactly what we received from Columbus for Tyutin...virtually nothing.
Followed by the "Sather is so good at fixing his mistakes" threads.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
10-16-2013, 04:42 PM
  #441
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,884
vCash: 500
That would also unburden us from the $7.8 million Nash cap hit after this year...four more years after this season at $7.8 million. Until 2018.

Jeesh. Now I know how Philadelphia Phillies fans feel...

Jersey Girl is offline  
Old
10-16-2013, 08:23 PM
  #442
FAMOUSfin
Registered User
 
FAMOUSfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 865
vCash: 500
As biturbo mentioned near the beginning of the thread, there's a steep learning curve to AV's system. New players struggled with it in Vancouver. It was probably partially responsible for holding back Ballard. Torts has said that he expected about 10 games for the players in Vancouver to get used to his system. Expect it to take longer than that for the Rangers to adjust to AV.

FAMOUSfin is offline  
Old
10-16-2013, 09:03 PM
  #443
Pistachio
I love your mother
 
Pistachio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 165
vCash: 50

Pistachio is offline  
Old
10-17-2013, 12:17 PM
  #444
NickyFotiu
Registered User
 
NickyFotiu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,544
vCash: 500
In a month this thread may look silly. We are 2 points out of the playoffs.

NickyFotiu is offline  
Old
10-17-2013, 12:42 PM
  #445
McDonaghisGod
Why not us?
 
McDonaghisGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 5,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
In a month this thread may look silly. We are 2 points out of the playoffs.
It helps that the east is garbage this year.

McDonaghisGod is offline  
Old
10-17-2013, 02:01 PM
  #446
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Blueshirt Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,094
vCash: 500
Frankly I'm glad the team started out with the long road trip. I know you can make the argument that they have been having a tough time BECAUSE they are on the road, but I think we were going to have problems adjusting to a new coach and system regardless and if they had lost like this at home the crowd pressure would have detrimental.

Hopefully they are starting to get their act together and we will be ready to kick some habs butt at the opener.

__________________
WIN NOW
Blueshirt Special is offline  
Old
04-12-2014, 01:46 PM
  #447
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,658
vCash: 50
Sooooo, what's new these days

GordonGecko is offline  
Old
04-12-2014, 01:49 PM
  #448
Flavius
Da Gawd
 
Flavius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: H.A.M. City
Country: United States
Posts: 495
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
Sooooo, what's new these days
This team still STINKS. Get rid of all of 'em!

Flavius is offline  
Old
04-12-2014, 02:06 PM
  #449
Callagraves
Block shots
 
Callagraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,371
vCash: 500
I still think we're worse than our record.

But we should be 2nd in this division. It's pretty weak.

Callagraves is offline  
Old
04-12-2014, 02:11 PM
  #450
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,589
vCash: 659
This thread is hilarious.

The conclusions that were drawn about this team on October 11....

Brian Boyle is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.