HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next captain ?

Old
10-16-2013, 01:07 PM
PricePkPatch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
This.

6.5 is kinda lowball tho, 7.6 would be more appropriate. He would leave 3.2M on the table.

PK leadership is off the charts so far this year.

Gorges and Prust are good soldiers.
7.6M for the 76? Tell me that wasn't on purpose

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 01:11 PM
Smokey Thompson

PK all the way, this is his team.

Smokey Thompson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 01:11 PM
Brainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
If I'm MB at the end of the season, I call PK into my office and I have two contracts prepared, one at $8m x 8 years and another at $6.5m x 8 years and underneath it is a jersey with a C on it and I tell him to take his pick.

Give him the choice to be the first person to raise the Cup in 20 years for the Habs or make $12m more.

If he chose the C & $6.5m, he would be the next Saint in Montreal.
Ha ha ha! That's not how it works, unfortunately.

Subban's agent doesn't care about a letter on a jersey, so he takes the first contract.

However, I totally agree with you about the money vs. maximizing your chances of winning a cup.

If we talk AHL numbers, I'd rather have 90k and crappy linemates vs. 60k and a better linemate. The extra 30k is your pension fund, basically.

But in the NHL? The money is ridiculous anyway. I'd rather have 6M with a contender than 9M and crappy linemates.

It's not like you can actually spend all of that money on useful stuff.

Brainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Lionel Mandrake
Generic user

In a few years, the obvious choice to me would be Galchenyuk. Smart, respectful, mature beyond his years with a great work ethic and game breaking ability. I don't care who captains the team now. All I want is this guy with the C in 2-3 years.

I also agree with the poster who said the vets might not embrace PK's new status with the team. A brash and exuberant personality like his could create friction with the older leaders. He wouldn't be a bad choice per se, just a risky one.

My choice: extend Gionta for 2 years in a reduced role, at a reduced salary, and in two years the captain dilemma will sort itself out more naturally IMO.

Lionel Mandrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 01:13 PM
kingdok

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post

Also on a related note, a real troll leader would be Gorges. Seriously, we're going to let a marginal NHL'er become captain of the Canadiens? Ditto with Prust. And I absolutely love both Gorges (his recent performances sure helped) and Prust as players.
Agreed, it didn't last long in Montreal for Keane, and he was a better player then both of them. It's a no go.

kingdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 01:27 PM
AmeriHab

PK - can actually handle the pressure and play a high level
Prust - Warrior/ vet presence
Eller - shows him the organization has confidence in him in taking over a bigger role. New Era Habs.

Pacioretty if Prust is out

AmeriHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 01:33 PM
lostriver

since this city needs french-speaking coach captain, I vote for DD.

lostriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 01:39 PM
dkdanielkli
GO HABS GO

Send a message via Skype™ to dkdanielkli
Prust or Gorges.

dkdanielkli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 01:48 PM
Bask
Embellishing User

Subban

or Gorges if it's a team vote

also if you believe that Subban will sign under 7M, i've got bad news for you

Bask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 01:49 PM
attachetatuque
un gros bonhomme!

I think Subban would be a bad choice right now. Too immature, and let's face it, he's probably the most selfish player on the team and the most flamboyant, not something I look for in captaincy, even less in this type of market. My choices would be Prust, or Gorges, and give an A to Subban so he learns how to really become a leader to later become a captain in 5-6 years. Pacioretty as well needs have upgraded responsibilities. He's from the next gen of our talents, and a step ahead of all our youngsters so he will be, in a few years, required to be a leader. Markov refused captaincy previously, I doubt he switched his mind.

attachetatuque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 01:50 PM
Bask
Embellishing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by daGreenGiant View Post
I think Subban would be a bad choice right now. Too immature, and let's face it, he's probably the most selfish player on the team and the most flamboyant, not something I look for in captaincy, even less in this type of market. My choices would be Prust, or Gorges, and give an A to Subban so he learns how to really become a leader to later become a captain in 5-6 years. Pacioretty as well needs have upgraded responsibilities. He's from the next gen of our talents, and a step ahead of all our youngsters so he will be, in a few years, required to be a leader. Markov refused captaincy previously, I doubt he switched his mind.
I think Subban is respected by most youngsters, the problem is with the old farts who don't like anything outside of their "routine"

Bask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 01:53 PM
PricePkPatch

I certainly wouldn'T be against giving an A to Subban next year, and the C only in 2-3-4 years.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 02:13 PM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
7.6M for the 76? Tell me that wasn't on purpose
Doesn't bode well for Gallagher....

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 02:16 PM
BlackStar

Given his intelligence, character, ridiculous work-ethic, courage, talkative nature, passion, and not to mention the fact that he leads the team offensively and defensively, I have come to think that Subban is the obvious and best choice for captain. I am excited thinking about it, especially since this means that this very vocal and passionate guy would encourage many of our players to follow his work-ethic and passion.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 02:19 PM
sventington

I would feel joy for the rest of my natural life if White were named captain.

sventington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
Given his intelligence, character, ridiculous work-ethic, courage, talkative nature, passion, and not to mention the fact that he leads the team offensively and defensively, I have come to think that Subban is the obvious and best choice for captain. I am excited thinking about it, especially since this means that this very vocal and passionate guy would encourage many of our players to follow his work-ethic and passion.
100% agreed...Subban should be the next captain for sure.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 02:29 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
Precisely. Subban is a mould breaker , you will not find him before and possibly not again in this game . He's a fan of the franchise , and a meticulous professional and training machine and an infectious personality. He's a franchise changer.

I am tired of the detractors , this guy has wings. The milquetoast mediocre largely untalented gorges is a boring, uncharismatic , forgettable player with borderline skills usually found on the bench when real leadership needs to happen on the ice .

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 02:30 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostriver View Post
since this city needs french-speaking coach captain, I vote for DD.
Imagine if they made him captain and then extended him another 5 years. This forum would have to close.

Habsawce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 02:30 PM
larrypacman8167

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkdanielkli View Post
Prust or Gorges.
this. people are gonna hate me for this but i don't want p.k. as captain doesn't scream leader to me at all. no

larrypacman8167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 02:33 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Precisely. Subban is a mould breaker , you will not find him before and possibly not again in this game . He's a fan of the franchise , and a meticulous professional and training machine and an infectious personality. He's a franchise changer.

I am tired of the detractors , this guy has wings. The milquetoast mediocre largely untalented gorges is a boring, uncharismatic , forgettable player with borderline skills usually found on the bench when real leadership needs to happen on the ice .
Not a word you see everyday on HFB.

I agree with you 100%, though I don't think management thinks the same way you do. Which is why I think they'd lean more towards the more calm influence that a Gorges would provide. Over a more flamboyant style of leadership that PK would provide.

- Ken Dryden
Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 02:39 PM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by daGreenGiant View Post
Please explain your reasoning behind your belief that Subban is immature and selfish. Because that is far from the truth,if anything, Subban is the most selfless guy on the team. For such a vocal guy, he has never publicly criticized a teammate or management even when he may have had a reason to be displeased with them. Instead, he ALWAYS goes out of his way to speak well of his teammates and management, but always criticizes himself even when he doesn't have to.

As for immaturity? Please. I wont even bother defending that because I know you dont have any legitimate reason for saying this. Flamboyance has nothing to do with maturity, especially since the flamboyance helps the team win. This team is graced with several mature young players, and Subban is one of them. No question.

I have always liked Subban on this team, how could I not? But there seemed to be some arrogance in Subban that I disliked, not at all uncommon among athletes, but because of his personality, it made was made more obvious in him than in others.

However, over the last few years, Subban in my opinion has become simply a very confident man. Not arrogant, but confident, and he should be, he is one of the best players in the league, and if he continues at this pace, he will be the best player in the league. He is an elite defenseman at his own end, and an elite offensive-defenseman who puts up a point per game.

I understand the thinking behind the Gorges choices, but as much as I like him, he could be on our bottom pairing in a year or two because of Tinordi and/or Beaulieu, not good for a captain.

Plekanec used to be my choice for captaincy, and he would be a good one in my opinion, but Subban shares all of Plekanec's leadership strengths, but Plekanec doesnt share Subban's leadership strengths.

Subban should be the captain of this team after Gionta is no longer with the team.

Last edited by BlackStar: 10-16-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old
10-16-2013, 02:41 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Prust gets my vote for now. Sad truth is, nobody really sticks out for me. Used to be Gorges but I can't get behind that now. PK isn't ready, Max doesn't strike me as being a captain type guy. Gallagher would be a great choice but he's way too young.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 02:42 PM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post

I like Gorges, but wowsah, I completely agree. Subban isnt my favourite player on the team, but he is the player I am most happy about having on the team.

Old
10-16-2013, 02:42 PM
SubbanFan4ever

Obviously Subban, he's always the last one to leave the ice at the end of a game.

SubbanFan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 02:49 PM
Habs8517

PK Subban is the only one fit to wear the "C" on his jersey. He is the heart and soul of the Montreal Canadiens, a guy who grew up as a Habs fan and knows the history and the tradition of this hockey club. He bleeds more "Bleu Blanc Rouge" than the whole team combined even more so than the so called "Gars de chez nous". He is the only player on this team that i do not question his allegiance nor his effort every night because he brings it every game.

Habs8517 is offline   Reply With Quote