HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

BoH OT/Lounge I: New & Improved. Now with 95% less Phoenix.

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2013, 07:19 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2013/1...iewing-bridge/

Some photos from MSG (post alternations), with the new "viewing bridge".

Also interesting they have installed some large TV screens for the nosebleeds "behind" those bridges.

Old
10-15-2013, 05:14 PM
Llama19

vCash: 91
No torn allegiances for LeBlanc with Sens in town

To quote:

"Anthony LeBlanc lived in Ottawa for 17 years and was a Senators season ticket holder for that entire run.

So how will the Coyotes president and CEO suppress his emotions when his favorite team for the better part of two decades skates onto the Jobing.com Arena ice on Tuesday?

"It's going to be an interesting night," LeBlanc said, laughing. "Having said that, it's not going to be difficult, because finance trumps everything.""

Source: http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/nhl/...13&feedID=3702

Old
10-15-2013, 06:51 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Some photos from MSG (post alternations), with the new "viewing bridge".... Also interesting they have installed some large TV screens for the nosebleeds "behind" those bridges.
Ya, "interesting perspective" alright. Sort of like watching from a car at a Drive-In Movie from way back with an overpass in-between you & the screen that your just supposed to ignore and kinda play peek-a-boo with.... I guess youd get use to it... not.

Old
10-15-2013, 07:56 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
No torn allegiances for LeBlanc with Sens in town

To quote:

"Anthony LeBlanc lived in Ottawa for 17 years and was a Senators season ticket holder for that entire run.

So how will the Coyotes president and CEO suppress his emotions when his favorite team for the better part of two decades skates onto the Jobing.com Arena ice on Tuesday?

"It's going to be an interesting night," LeBlanc said, laughing. "Having said that, it's not going to be difficult, because finance trumps everything.""

Source: http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/nhl/...13&feedID=3702

From a totally personal, subjective viewpoint-am I wrong to think that comment came across as kind of-heck I don't even know what?

Just the juxposition of talking about hockey affections and loyalties-and he says "money is the only thing that matters"? You're talking to a hockey public, and instead of hearing a joking "you have to understand I've switched loyalties" or something "fan-ish" like that-he says he only cares about the money?

Again, or am I reading it wrong? Not a big deal or anything, just seemed a little off-putting to me.

Old
10-15-2013, 08:09 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
From a totally personal, subjective viewpoint-am I wrong to think that comment came across as kind of-heck I don't even know what?... or am I reading it wrong? Not a big deal or anything, just seemed a little off-putting to me.
I think it depends on whether or not one has already made up their mind about the guy. Most have which would color how one might interpret or "receive" such a comment from Le Blanc.

Old
10-16-2013, 02:21 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/10/16/582...#mi_rss=Sports

New details on Sacramento arena (for NBA Kings) plans.

And new group representing non-union contractors starting opposition group to stop city from contributing $258m. (The non-union contractors have effectively been locked out of bidding.)

Old
10-16-2013, 02:59 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Gadfly

Quote:
From a totally personal, subjective viewpoint-am I wrong to think that comment came across as kind of-heck I don't even know what?

Just the juxposition of talking about hockey affections and loyalties-and he says "money is the only thing that matters"? You're talking to a hockey public, and instead of hearing a joking "you have to understand I've switched loyalties" or something "fan-ish" like that-he says he only cares about the money?

Again, or am I reading it wrong? Not a big deal or anything, just seemed a little off-putting to me.
It's no big deal....

LeBlanc was a Sens fan for roughly 20 years. Season ticket holder. And still is one from a sentamental standpoint. But now that he is part of the Coyotes ownership he has a fiscal responsibility to support his new club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
I think it depends on whether or not one has already made up their mind about the guy. Most have which would color how one might interpret or "receive" such a comment from Le Blanc.
Some would just like to blow contexts up to smithereenies to score points, K. Quite transparant...... quite transparant indeed.

Old
10-16-2013, 07:42 AM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
It's no big deal....

LeBlanc was a Sens fan for roughly 20 years. Season ticket holder. And still is one from a sentamental standpoint. But now that he is part of the Coyotes ownership he has a fiscal responsibility to support his new club.

Some would just like to blow contexts up to smithereenies to score points, K. Quite transparant...... quite transparant indeed.
That's why I asked if it was just me I different that in way in I am regularly critical of myself and I look at the shades of my viewpoints within myself. When looking at any situation, I'm not interested in convincing other people of my thoughts-I truly (and K and others can vouch for this) ask questions because I'm seeking knowledge, and trying to separate for myself what is legitimate knowledge and information from personal baises and openly admittedly "colourings".

So when I looked at this, it struck me as odd that-in a hockey fandom way-an owner comes out and says "its about the money" as opposed to the (admittedly bland) "I'm fan of so and so team right now"-it was not something that's been a regular part of my experience. If this indeed is simply a matter of Leblanc being "honest" about things (and I admit by my own personal baises that while I am working on my own mental subjectivity to give him the "benefit of the doubt", I also-honestly-don't trust him yet, nor do I trust his motivations). But again, thats my bais and my subjectivity-so when I ask a question like this-and I get the answers I got from you and K, I do a mental checkmark of "okay, it probably is just me in this case, moving along."

TL DR I asked the question to check my own baises and colourings, I'm different that way-however I realize I'm really far outside the "norm" (on many levels of life, trust me ) In this case, my bais was probably leaning pretty strongly by the sounds of it, so I can put this in the 'non issue' dept When I ask "is it just me", I literally am asking "is it just me?"-and not using it as a cover for trying to make any sort of points in an argument. I'm not interesting in winning arguments, I seek only knowledge-it's the way I've ever been

Just the way I roll-I understand though, my masks can get in the way

Last edited by Tinalera: 10-16-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old
10-16-2013, 09:09 AM
mesamonster

Quote:

Strange comment! His team salvaged a point, but his pocketbook got a little lighter with a weeknight game!

Old
10-16-2013, 10:53 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Sean_Leahy 8:39am via TweetDeck Flames to reveal third jerseys Oct. 27 - icethetics.info/blog/2013/10/1…

Old
10-16-2013, 10:54 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Just the way I roll-I understand though, my masks can get in the way
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
Strange comment!
Well, its an "interesting comment". Dunno bout "strange". This is really Le Blanc's first Rodeo in terms of being up there holding the reins on the buckboard. Chuckwagon Race. In the drivers seat so to speak. Previously he'd been a "fan" of the game & as he lived in Ottawa the Senators. He's gone from observer to participant, from amateur to professional. Interesting comment as it speaks to that phenomena that people experience when what had been a hobby or interest becomes a full time (and in his case 24/7) occupation. Some people thrive, others become disillusioned & cynical, that which was once a joy now a J.O.B. Early days yet. We wont really know which is which with Le Blanc, Gosbee & Company until at the earliest well into their sophomore season, see if the usual slumps settle in, what kind of a career & future they & that franchise has in Glendale if any.

Old
10-16-2013, 11:15 AM
mesamonster

Quote:
Well, its an "interesting comment". Dunno bout "strange". This is really Le Blanc's first Rodeo in terms of being up there holding the reins on the buckboard. Chuckwagon Race. In the drivers seat so to speak. Previously he'd been a "fan" of the game & as he lived in Ottawa the Senators. He's gone from observer to participant, from amateur to professional. Interesting comment as it speaks to that phenomena that people experience when what had been a hobby or interest becomes a full time (and in his case 24/7) occupation. Some people thrive, others become disillusioned & cynical, that which was once a joy now a J.O.B. Early days yet. We wont really know which is which with Le Blanc, Gosbee & Company until at the earliest well into their sophomore season, see if the usual slumps settle in, what kind of a career & future they & that franchise has in Glendale if any.
Perhaps my diction was improper for the circumstances! I guess i find it somewhat amusing that an owner, two games in, more concerned with the bottom line than wins and losses? Most owners find a way to enjoy the season and deal with the financial bottom line at the end of the year! If he really is concerned about the $$$$ his mind should be solely concerned with wins and losses. Should the wins exceed the loses, his loses will be less. In this case the losses will be large either way win or lose, so rather than lose sleep over the bottom line, he should enjoy his good fortune as an owner and let the chips fall where they will.

Old
10-16-2013, 11:34 AM
Mike Farkas
Grace Personified

I'm guessing this is the best place to inquire...every once in a while, you hear a team exec go, "eh, we got more cap space than you think...(or CapGeek thinks)" or you hear of a club's "capologist"

Has there ever been an article or some such that really details what makes the job so difficult...? What kind of caveats are involved that we apparently don't know about?

YouTube Channel: The Two-Line Pass - Hockey news, knowledge, video breakdowns and more: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKAI...52Q577Q/videos

Latest installment:Ep. 4 - Brady Skjei Evaluation
Old
10-16-2013, 12:34 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Get off my obstacle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
I'm guessing this is the best place to inquire...every once in a while, you hear a team exec go, "eh, we got more cap space than you think...(or CapGeek thinks)" or you hear of a club's "capologist"

Has there ever been an article or some such that really details what makes the job so difficult...? What kind of caveats are involved that we apparently don't know about?
Best I can do (recall, dig up, etc)

Quote:
The tough part is that Mr. Davidson, as our owner, made a commitment after winning the Stanley Cup that we were going to be a cap team, we were going to spend to the salary cap. Unfortunately, our reality here in Tampa is we don’t generate enough revenue to support that. The only year we’ve made money is when we won the Stanley Cup.

In 2004, we played 13 of a possible 16 post-season games at home and so that’s the one year we were able to show a profit. So, while the salary cap is going up, the reality is we couldn’t support the $39 million salary cap (coming out of the lockout in 2005-06), we couldn’t support a $44-million payroll (in 2006-07), and now it’s impossible for us to say, “Well, let’s take the payroll up to $50 million.”

From that standpoint, we’re back to where we were pre-lockout; that is to say, we have to try to make it work within a budget.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...easy-task.html

There's a few more here and there if you skim through the pages

http://www.thehockeynews.com/columns...y-Feaster.html

Also, see these

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle10469045/

Quote:
On if his role was focused on being a "capologist": "When you're negotiating all the deals and planning your signings and planning how much you're going to spend, and everything else, you have to know the cap inside and out and that was part of my job. That term kind of was thrown around a little bit, but it was almost like one of those terms that was used a few years ago and doesn't seem like it's used anymore.

"I was responsible for a lot of things like the operating budget, the capital budget, all of the capital projects - it's a big job and when you tack on the Marlies stuff, it was lots of work and I enjoyed it. It was great experience working for the Leafs - it's been a really good learning experience."
Jeff Jackson Interview with Mirtle

Old
10-16-2013, 12:36 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post

I don't think there's anything that's very difficult from the math side of the equation. Every player has a [daily] cap hit number and cap space is simply determined by predicting what you'll spend for the entire season-- which assumes that today's value will hold constant for the rest of the season. You also have to keep in mind that if player has an annual rate of $5 million, but joins halfway through the season, you only need to find room for $2.5 million (just one example).

The trickier part is then juggling around the LTIR and bonus spaces, or moving waiver exempt guys back and forth because now you are playing the game with the daily cap number and how that projects out for the entire season. The LTIR and bonus spaces can let you exceed the cap if you start running out of space.

I think you just need someone who is very good with manipulating their projections for annualized spending while understanding the CBA and what counts and when.

Old
10-16-2013, 12:46 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
And I'm perfectly cool with that And I agree it's going to take a least a season to get a handle on things, I've made earlier posts in that regard. You make very good, logical points about the "fan to owner" transition, and i appreciate that insight, helps me with my own.

I think my "distrust" of Leblanc and co isn't so much related the team's financial performance and all the debates to this point-I want every team to be successful. My bais/coloured/mistrust (all self admitted) comes from the fact I really don't want to see the fans get shafted by any owner when they seem to close to final closure on the subject. I just want Leblanc and co to be on the level here-and not merely see this as a 'business opportunity' to exploit.

Ergo, I'm trying to read and look at things critically,and watch myself for when I am colouring my own subjective opinions, so that I can discern facts from fiction-it's a hard process, but I feel up to it We have to face our monsters in order to conquer them

Old
10-16-2013, 12:52 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I don't think there's anything that's very difficult from the math side of the equation. Every player has a [daily] cap hit number and cap space is simply determined by predicting what you'll spend for the entire season-- which assumes that today's value will hold constant for the rest of the season. You also have to keep in mind that if player has an annual rate of $5 million, but joins halfway through the season, you only need to find room for $2.5 million (just one example).

The trickier part is then juggling around the LTIR and bonus spaces, or moving waiver exempt guys back and forth because now you are playing the game with the daily cap number and how that projects out for the entire season. The LTIR and bonus spaces can let you exceed the cap if you start running out of space.

I think you just need someone who is very good with manipulating their projections for annualized spending while understanding the CBA and what counts and when.

I think what gets "missed" sometimes on these boards-people will read "capgeek" or whatever and say "look they have x amount of cap room". But they're only getting the actual numbers of the situation. I would think that those who do the cap running on each team is in regular communication with the NHL dept that is responsible for those things, constantly checking up, verifying, clarifying, and giving hypothetical "the cap says this, but if we do this, and this, doesn't that change the result" type of thing. I don't think there are many fans on the boards who have a nice hotline to the NHL bigwigs/legals who can interpret the ins and outs-and there is where GM's will say "capgeek doesn't give the whole story"-because often enough there tiny little loopholes which get worked around the average fan can't access through capgeek. They could read the cba sure, but how many times on these boards have a team done something cap wise where we've said "Wow, that's an interesting intrepretation/workaround of the rules"?

Old
10-16-2013, 12:56 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
Perhaps my diction was improper for the circumstances! I guess i find it somewhat amusing that an owner, two games in, more concerned with the bottom line than wins and losses? Most owners find a way to enjoy the season and deal with the financial bottom line at the end of the year! If he really is concerned about the $$$$ his mind should be solely concerned with wins and losses. Should the wins exceed the loses, his loses will be less. In this case the losses will be large either way win or lose, so rather than lose sleep over the bottom line, he should enjoy his good fortune as an owner and let the chips fall where they will.
It did seem odd, but Killion makes the good point about him trying to adjust to the "fan to owner" transition-maybe he's a crash course in the difference. I could also see the idea that he's encountering things as an owner he had no idea responsibility wise and having the learn the ropes. Not to mention who knows what he's been told behind the scene with "the boys". I'm going to just chalk it up to "it's just my colouring" of it now and just move on-and not pay as much attention to things he might say-actions speak louder than words-we'll have to see the season play out at least.

Old
10-16-2013, 01:01 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
I think what gets "missed" sometimes on these boards-people will read "capgeek" or whatever and say "look they have x amount of cap room". But they're only getting the actual numbers of the situation. I would think that those who do the cap running on each team is in regular communication with the NHL dept that is responsible for those things, constantly checking up, verifying, clarifying, and giving hypothetical "the cap says this, but if we do this, and this, doesn't that change the result" type of thing. I don't think there are many fans on the boards who have a nice hotline to the NHL bigwigs/legals who can interpret the ins and outs-and there is where GM's will say "capgeek doesn't give the whole story"-because often enough there tiny little loopholes which get worked around the average fan can't access through capgeek. They could read the cba sure, but how many times on these boards have a team done something cap wise where we've said "Wow, that's an interesting intrepretation/workaround of the rules"?
To the folks on the BOH who follow the CBA and cap talk? Not that many.

But yes, teams cannot make any roster move without NHL approval since the league runs the 'master' cap program anyway. A capologist will know if they can squeeze in player X today or in two days, for example, so having someone who understands all the minutiae and CBA rules indeed helps. (I think we're saying the same thing though.)

Old
10-16-2013, 01:03 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
It did seem odd, but Killion makes the good point about him trying to adjust to the "fan to owner" transition-maybe he's a crash course in the difference. I could also see the idea that he's encountering things as an owner he had no idea responsibility wise and having the learn the ropes. Not to mention who knows what he's been told behind the scene with "the boys". I'm going to just chalk it up to "it's just my colouring" of it now and just move on-and not pay as much attention to things he might say-actions speak louder than words-we'll have to see the season play out at least.

I read his comment not to exclude winning as a goal, but it may be implicit, a requirement, in order to turn things around financially. We all assume that very few markets can make a go of it financially with a losing team.

Old
10-16-2013, 01:08 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
To the folks on the BOH who follow the CBA and cap talk? Not that many.

But yes, teams cannot make any roster move without NHL approval since the league runs the 'master' cap program anyway. A capologist will know if they can squeeze in player X today or in two days, for example, so having someone who understands all the minutiae and CBA rules indeed helps. (I think we're saying the same thing though.)
We are saying the same thing That's where fans on the boards say "they can't make it-capgeek says they're 200 grand below the cap"-well, yes, except unless you know the cba inside and out, or have access to said "master control" NHL reps-you don't know the workarounds or even what trades/deals that said team has in order to accomodate such deals.

Old
10-16-2013, 01:11 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
I read his comment not to exclude winning as a goal, but it may be implicit, a requirement, in order to turn things around financially. We all assume that very few markets can make a go of it financially with a losing team.
I guess it was probably a context situation that I took it out of. For me I was expecting to hear a (admittedly cliched) "well I have a new team now- haha" sort of thing-and hearing that, what perfectly logical, just tinkered the old aforementioned bais-hence my asking "is it just me"-when I ask that, I am literally asking "is it just me?" rather than a conspiracy lead in

I think you can safely say, Fugu, out of the 5,445 posts I've posted on BoH-probably 95 percent of my comments on discussions are the "who/what/when/where", "I'm out of the loop here, what's going on", and "as far as I can see/I'm trying to understand/the optics say to me" type

I've always tried to give the caveat that "I don't know the answers, and am trying to understand more." If it's one thing I'm good at, it's sitting fences

Old
10-16-2013, 01:35 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
I think my "distrust" of Leblanc and co isn't so much related the team's financial performance and all the debates to this point-I want every team to be successful. My bais/coloured/mistrust (all self admitted) comes from the fact I really don't want to see the fans get shafted by any owner when they seem to close to final closure on the subject. I just want Leblanc and co to be on the level here-and not merely see this as a 'business opportunity' to exploit.
Ya. And its a leap based on the terms & conditions of this particular transaction, all thats transpired to not be skeptical, cynical. Theres just no way you can ignore it. Eyes Wide Shut. Ah, dont think so. For now though, absolutely giving them the benefit of the doubt, open minded, and like you I sincerely hope these guys are serious & for real.... knock on wood. Key to their success however reaches beyond just the franchise, the Coyotes performance; that building has got to be filled with concerts & events. Big job. Lets see if their up to it.

Old
10-16-2013, 01:46 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Ya. And its a leap based on the terms & conditions of this particular transaction, all thats transpired to not be skeptical, cynical. Theres just no way you can ignore it. Eyes Wide Shut. Ah, dont think so. For now though, absolutely giving them the benefit of the doubt, open minded, and like you I sincerely hope these guys are serious & for real.... knock on wood. Key to their success however reaches beyond just the franchise, the Coyotes performance; that building has got to be filled with concerts & events. Big job. Lets see if their up to it.
Yea, pretty much it. The whole circus that was the situation certainly breeds itself to the thinking. Just have to say "what's done is done, let's see what the year brings" and go with it. I just have to ignore the bais and just go with what I have with me, and ignore any "odd comments" that come up in future-try not to read into things. Leblanc and co are doing things a little different-can't be seeing faked moon landings/men on the grass knoll/Gretzky high sticking Gilmour conspiracies here......

EDIT: and before I'm called by anyone on the "Gretzky highstick Gilmour"-yes I'm aware it happened. I'm also aware there was no conspiracy-how many noticed Gilmour's non-call headbutt in the same game?

Old
10-16-2013, 02:03 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
I guess it was probably a context situation that I took it out of. For me I was expecting to hear a (admittedly cliched) "well I have a new team now- haha" sort of thing-and hearing that, what perfectly logical, just tinkered the old aforementioned bais-hence my asking "is it just me"-when I ask that, I am literally asking "is it just me?" rather than a conspiracy lead in

I think you can safely say, Fugu, out of the 5,445 posts I've posted on BoH-probably 95 percent of my comments on discussions are the "who/what/when/where", "I'm out of the loop here, what's going on", and "as far as I can see/I'm trying to understand/the optics say to me" type

I've always tried to give the caveat that "I don't know the answers, and am trying to understand more." If it's one thing I'm good at, it's sitting fences
You don't give yourself enough credit, TL. You ask very good questions, which fundamentally means you've taken the time to understand/learn the details.

Closed Thread