HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

BoH OT/Lounge I: New & Improved. Now with 95% less Phoenix.

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2013, 02:12 PM
mesamonster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Ya. And its a leap based on the terms & conditions of this particular transaction, all thats transpired to not be skeptical, cynical. Theres just no way you can ignore it. Eyes Wide Shut. Ah, dont think so. For now though, absolutely giving them the benefit of the doubt, open minded, and like you I sincerely hope these guys are serious & for real.... knock on wood. Key to their success however reaches beyond just the franchise, the Coyotes performance; that building has got to be filled with concerts & events. Big job. Lets see if their up to it.
Good point K, i keep forgetting about the need for ancillary revenue streams. Without them, they have no chance of sticking around! Does anyone know how many events have been added to the calendar since Global Spectrum came aboard?

Old
10-16-2013, 02:35 PM
Llama19

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
Good point K, i keep forgetting about the need for ancillary revenue streams. Without them, they have no chance of sticking around! Does anyone know how many events have been added to the calendar since Global Spectrum came aboard?
One new one that I noticed...

Jan 3, 2014 - Joel Osteen

However, Demi Lovato (Feb 15) was added prior to the GS announcement.

Old
10-16-2013, 03:55 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Looks like just the one there so far. The Reverend Joel Osteen. Religious Revivals are good mesa. Planning to attend the service?... still early days. Lets see what develops, but ya, theyve really gotta get aggressive on those fronts. Actually more critical than any major immediate turnarounds at the gate with the team itself.

Old
10-16-2013, 06:18 PM
mesamonster

Quote:
Looks like just the one there so far. The Reverend Joel Osteen. Religious Revivals are good mesa. Planning to attend the service?... still early days. Lets see what develops, but ya, theyve really gotta get aggressive on those fronts. Actually more critical than any major immediate turnarounds at the gate with the team itself.
Hey no need to go all the way up to Glendale to see the reverend Joel! He always hits the tube after, "Meet The Depressed!" I wonder how big a crowd they will get for that gig? But really, the issue of revenues would be partially eliminated if they could find a way to bring half of Scottsdale up on the weekdays! Why do i sense that might be hard to do when the outdoor kitchen is in full swing, a cold gin martini and Gamecenter on the flat screen? Hmmm, to go or not to go? Is that the sun i see setting?

Old
10-16-2013, 07:15 PM
Llama19

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Hey no need to go all the way up to Glendale to see the reverend Joel! He always hits the tube after, "Meet The Depressed!" I wonder how big a crowd they will get for that gig? But really, the issue of revenues would be partially eliminated if they could find a way to bring half of Scottsdale up on the weekdays! Why do i sense that might be hard to do when the outdoor kitchen is in full swing, a cold gin martini and Gamecenter on the flat screen? Hmmm, to go or not to go? Is that the sun i see setting?
Yeah, the crowds may or may not come...

Old
10-16-2013, 09:40 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

^^^ Geez. That guy kinda looks like Martin Short.

Old
10-16-2013, 11:27 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Hey didn't you know...?? He's gonna lead the prayer at the CoG council meeting. It's the highlight of his visit.

Old
10-16-2013, 11:29 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:

What's the usual lead time for booking the bigger tour groups, K???

Old
10-16-2013, 11:41 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Hey didn't you know...?? He's gonna lead the prayer at the CoG council meeting. It's the highlight of his visit.
.... Why not? I suspect he'll sell that building right out. Packed house. Absolutely.... wonder if he'll do the Ed Grimley bit TL. I enjoy that.

Quote:
What's the usual lead time for booking the bigger tour groups, K???
Depends, can vary, but usually 3-6mnths. I wouldnt expect to see them getting a whole lot of traction in terms of bookings until probably February, March, April on & onward. Wont just happen overnight and theyve got some stiff competition in the market. Right now they should be planting seeds as Im sure they are...

Yes. There will be growth in the spring.
Chance Gardener

Old
10-17-2013, 01:59 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_...ams?source=rss

Time, parity, and realignment has changed the Denver, Colorado pro teams rivals. But for the Avs, it's still the Wings (although Roy seems to want to get a divisional rivalry heating up against the Hawks).

And new/different rivals for the other Denver teams -- NFL Broncos, MLB Rockies, NBA Nuggets, MLS Rapids?

"Rivalries matter only when both teams are good."

Old
10-17-2013, 03:03 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

darrenrovell Oct 13, 10:57am via Tweetbot for iOS On a $100 pink item, the NFL gets a $12.50 royalty after manufacturer and retailer take their cut. League says $11.25 goes to ACS.

His follow up tweet suggests donating directly, not buying something "pink" as "portion of proceeds" go to charity.

Old
10-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
darrenrovell Oct 13, 10:57am via Tweetbot for iOS On a $100 pink item, the NFL gets a $12.50 royalty after manufacturer and retailer take their cut. League says $11.25 goes to ACS.

His follow up tweet suggests donating directly, not buying something "pink" as "portion of proceeds" go to charity.

That's actually a very good point. Why have all the indirect spending, etc., if the point is to support the research efforts? Direct donations make far more sense.

Old
10-17-2013, 03:26 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
That's actually a very good point. Why have all the indirect spending, etc., if the point is to support the research efforts? Direct donations make far more sense.
NOT going to turn this into a political issue-but even with direct donations, there's a debate about how much the researchers actually get-and how much goes to management overhead-so out of the 12 bucks that goes to the ACS-how much of those dollars actually get to the research itself? (That not meant as a question to answer-more rethorical)

It would be very sad if out of 100 dollar football, the research only gets 1 percent of the entire cost-but that's another subject entirely.

Old
10-17-2013, 03:31 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
NOT going to turn this into a political issue-but even with direct donations, there's a debate about how much the researchers actually get-and how much goes to management overhead-so out of the 12 bucks that goes to the ACS-how much of those dollars actually get to the research itself? (That not meant as a question to answer-more rethorical)

It would be very sad if out of 100 dollar football, the research only gets 1 percent of the entire cost-but that's another subject entirely.

I know what you mean. There's quite a bit of controversy about charity raising efforts based exactly on the point of how much goes to the fundraising and administrating vs to the cause itself. Unfortunately too many cases exist where the majority of the money gets eaten up by the former.

Old
10-17-2013, 04:55 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

Well now, ain't this interesting

Bruins fans promised Red Sox game will be on TV – at Florida Panthers game

Old
10-17-2013, 05:16 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
I really dont see a problem with this, the reporter deliberately premising it with a negative slant, that I do have a problem with though... No idea what the % of fans attending the game are that might be Bruins & or Red Sox fans, people from Boston/MA & environs but why not feature their playoff games on monitors all over the building, flash Home Runs, nice pop-fly catches etc right there on the Jumbotron?. Its called catering to your customers. If someones sitting on the fence, not sure whether or not they should attend the game & their a Bruins/Sox fan, hey, decision made. I can have my cake and eat it too. Panthers vs my team PLUS I wont miss the Sox Playoff game. Sounds like fun.

Old
10-17-2013, 05:22 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

It's too gimmicky, Killion. It's the over-catering to opposing fan base that makes me throw up a little.

Old
10-17-2013, 05:50 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
the panthers are the kings of gimmicks though. I dont have the energy to get upset at every single one.

10-17-2013, 06:10 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/arti...is-this-friday

NHLPA Goals & Dreams fund teaming up with OHL Kitchener Rangers for Clarky's Kids night.

Quote:
Launched by the Kitchener Rangers in partnership with former Ranger, and current Maple Leaf, David Clarkson, Clarky’s Kids provides children from Grand River Hospital’s Pediatric Oncology Group of Ontario Satellite Centre the opportunity to experience the excitement of a Rangers game and visit with players and coaches in and out of the hospital. As well, this program continues to raise funds that aid in support of local families and siblings dealing with a child that has cancer.
This year, the Rangers are also proud to welcome representatives of the National Hockey League Players’ Association and the NHLPA Goals & Dreams fund. The NHLPA is a proud partner of Clarky’s Kids, and through the NHLPA Goals & Dreams fund, will reveal their generous contribution to the Clarky's Kids Foundation during the Rangers’ pre-game ceremony on Friday.

Old
10-17-2013, 07:51 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
It's too gimmicky, Killion. It's the over-catering to opposing fan base that makes me throw up a little.
If Tim Thomas wasnt a Florida Panther facing the Bruins for the first time after winning a Stanley Cup, 2 Vezinas', a Conn Smythe and a huge part of their success then Id agree. Transcends the norm in a unique market so Im good with it.

Old
10-17-2013, 08:06 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
I really dont see a problem with this, the reporter deliberately premising it with a negative slant, that I do have a problem with though... No idea what the % of fans attending the game are that might be Bruins & or Red Sox fans, people from Boston/MA & environs but why not feature their playoff games on monitors all over the building, flash Home Runs, nice pop-fly catches etc right there on the Jumbotron?. Its called catering to your customers. If someones sitting on the fence, not sure whether or not they should attend the game & their a Bruins/Sox fan, hey, decision made. I can have my cake and eat it too. Panthers vs my team PLUS I wont miss the Sox Playoff game. Sounds like fun.
Couple of years ago the Coyotes had just hired a new PR man who had some pretty good credentials and connections within the Phoenix Metro area.

One of his first promotions was to have the Chicago White Sox (who share Camelback Ranch in Glendale with the Dodgers) featured during a pre-game ceremony of a game with the Chicago Blackhawks. Including having a member of the White Sox do the ceremonial puck drop.

While his intent was to draw in the spring training crowd.... the backlash was pretty immediate from local fans and most of the Coyotes players and he was fired less than 48 hours later.

Old
10-17-2013, 09:19 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
While his intent was to draw in the spring training crowd.... the backlash was pretty immediate from local fans and most of the Coyotes players and he was fired less than 48 hours later.
Wow. You guys are a tough crowd. Pretty harsh Maing.

Old
10-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

vCash: 514
Quote:
Agreed, it's extends too much to the visitor. The sucess for this team (and any in a non-traditional market) is to cater to the local market. Not that the Marlins will be in a LCS anytime soon. It sends the wrong message to the South Florida market IMO.

Old
10-18-2013, 12:22 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.echl.com/welcome-to-the-2...season-p187895

ECHL Commissioner on start of 2013-14 season.

Quote:
During the 2012-13 season, the ECHL experienced its highest average per-game attendance since 1999-2000. As the economy continues to improve, the ECHL is well positioned to provide outstanding entertainment value for our fan base.
More than $27m donated to charity in the past 7 years.

Old
10-19-2013, 10:30 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://centralhockeyleague.com/news/?article_id=9993

CHL expands on NHL "do not remove helmet before fight" rule to include penalty for deliberately removing opponent's helmet during fight.

Have to think the second part will be on the agenda for the NHL Competition Committee in the future.

Closed Thread