HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - LII

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2013, 04:37 PM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
The team seems to be a bit more focused on developing younger players to fix perceived holes. Schroeder got a bit more playing time than I expected his first game back. The trade for Dalpe is self explanatory. Stanton is a young waivers grab and Weber is just 24. Kassian, Sestito and Weise round out a group of young players that the team hopes will take steps here.

Given that information, I wonder if doing a trade for a vet makes sense? The trend speaks to the opposite. Perhaps they have their eye on a few more 22-24 year old players, much like Dalpe, that could be developed into something better. Maybe that's what they will continue to look for on the trade route from now on? It would certainly keep them away from paying a premium cost for matured assets...

Old
10-16-2013, 04:44 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Before we get too carried away with the Stastny love, we have to remember this: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...190110715.html
That could just be the best reason of all to acquire Stastny.

Just look at that...

Old
10-16-2013, 04:51 PM
arttk

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
That could just be the best reason of all to acquire Stastny.

Just look at that...
Yeah he can join Kes and model for that underwear line.

Old
10-16-2013, 04:54 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Better at what? Defending? If there is a distinct difference, does it make up for the advantage he has offensively on his off-side? It's a trade off. Really, I have no issue with Garrison on the right, I'm even starting to prefer it. As a result, my preference would be to place him on that side and retain Edler and Hamhuis, both playing on the left.
Yeah, i think Garrison has shown that he's capable of playing on his 'off' side quite well, without too much of an appreciable dropoff.

Personally, i really like the idea of 3 balanced pairs with Hamhuis, Edler, and Garrison each anchoring the left side of a pairing alongside Bieksa, Tanev, Corrado on the right. But realistically...as long as Tortorella is the coach here, i think he's going to prefer to load up the top-4 and really lean on those guys. So we're basically locked into our top-4 for the foreseeable future, as long as Torts is here with long term NTC contracts for:

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Garrison

In some configuration or other. Those are the 4 guys.

And i'm not going to say that makes one of Tanev or Corrado 'expendable', but it might make them a bit of a luxury if we're looking for an 'area of strength' to trade from for bonafide top-6 help. Whether that's the best option, i guess depends on whether you think Shinkaruk/Jensen/Horvat have the potential to play as real dynamic front line forwards, providing a spark to the top-6 any time in the very near future. And whether you see a real place for both Corrado AND Tanev to get any meaningful minutes on the same NHL team next year.

If Tanev was the piece it took for us to bring in a top-6 player like Stastny, i'd be willing to part with him. Obviously not happily, but it's the old adage, 'you've gotta give to get'. And Tanev is a piece that is largely replaceable from within (Corrado) without too much dropoff, ie. Not creating a new hole to fill another.

Old
10-16-2013, 05:04 PM
Mutagenesis
Nucks/Jackets/Isles

vCash: 221
Does anyone know if Nate Thompson has a NTC in his contract? He's a player I'd love Gillis to kick the tires on at the Trade Deadline, if we're gearing up for a playoffs run.

Old
10-16-2013, 05:10 PM
Zombotron
WD-57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutagenesis View Post
Does anyone know if Nate Thompson has a NTC in his contract? He's a player I'd love Gillis to kick the tires on at the Trade Deadline, if we're gearing up for a playoffs run.
Doesn't look like it. He's signed until 2017 at a cap hit of $1.6m.

Old
10-16-2013, 05:15 PM
Mutagenesis
Nucks/Jackets/Isles

vCash: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombotron View Post
oesn't look like it. He's signe until 2017 at a cap hit of $1.6m.
FTFY.

Would be an incredibly cheap and solid addition to the team as a 3/4C option. Wonder what his value is to Tampa fans.

Old
10-16-2013, 05:50 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutagenesis View Post
FTFY.

Would be an incredibly cheap and solid addition to the team as a 3/4C option. Wonder what his value is to Tampa fans.
If I recall, he was a bit of a favourite of Guy Boucher's.

Old
10-16-2013, 05:58 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
The team seems to be a bit more focused on developing younger players to fix perceived holes. Schroeder got a bit more playing time than I expected his first game back. The trade for Dalpe is self explanatory. Stanton is a young waivers grab and Weber is just 24. Kassian, Sestito and Weise round out a group of young players that the team hopes will take steps here.

Given that information, I wonder if doing a trade for a vet makes sense? The trend speaks to the opposite. Perhaps they have their eye on a few more 22-24 year old players, much like Dalpe, that could be developed into something better. Maybe that's what they will continue to look for on the trade route from now on? It would certainly keep them away from paying a premium cost for matured assets...
We've been acquiring young players because we don't have the cap space for any established effective roster players, and Gillis is still willing to give Booth a chance.

At the dealine if we have some more cap space for an acquisition then I don't think it would be super unlikely we don't make an acquisition, especially if the team is playing lethargically. While the Roy trade has probably turned Gillis off pure rentals, acquiring someone signed for longer, or someone we are confident of re-signing shouldn't be out of the question.

Old
10-16-2013, 06:40 PM
Momesso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
We've been acquiring young players because we don't have the cap space for any established effective roster players, and Gillis is still willing to give Booth a chance.

At the dealine if we have some more cap space for an acquisition then I don't think it would be super unlikely we don't make an acquisition, especially if the team is playing lethargically. While the Roy trade has probably turned Gillis off pure rentals, acquiring someone signed for longer, or someone we are confident of re-signing shouldn't be out of the question.
I agree with this. Gillis (much like the rest of us) is hoping guys like Kassian, Schroder and others can step up over the course of the season, and then fill in gaps at the trade deadline.

But I do think that a rental is possible considering that Horvat is likely going to pencil in as #3C next season.

Old
10-16-2013, 06:46 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post

Cap space is only part of this current direction. Gillis had the option to get a matured asset for cheaper by possibly signing Gilbert or Kostka. Brunner was also there, as you know. Instead, he chose to go with a 24 year old Weber and picked up Stanton to park the older Alberts. He's given Dalpe and Schroeder a shot to secure spots in the bottom6, when more mature assets could be penciled in there. Basically, he's actively going in the direction of trying to develop younger players here.

With every opportunity to add a matured asset, Gillis has to make a choice between taking space away from a young player or locking down a position long term. The team has 7 vet forwards. Replacing Booth with a vet keeps that number consistent. So maybe there is room for one vet. Moving him for a younger player increases the youth and the odds such a player brakes out via development here too though. So there are positives both ways.

I think Gillis might continue on this path of looking at younger players he thinks he can develop into useful pieces, rather than going after the mature assets a la Roy. The depth moves speak to this. If those young players completely flop in half a year, maybe thats enough to get him to switch gears again and go with an older solution, but then one would have to wonder what his overall direction really is...

Old
10-16-2013, 06:58 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

vCash: 50
So TEAM radio this afternoon, re-aired the infamous GMMG quote on "six" young players where he would have traded Cody for. One was Kassian and three others, I think that was speculated at the time, was John Carlson, Brandon Sutter and Kyle Clifford. What were the other two?

Old
10-16-2013, 07:03 PM
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betamax View Post
So TEAM radio this afternoon, re-aired the infamous GMMG quote on "six" young players where he would have traded Cody for. One was Kassian and three others, I think that was speculated at the time, was John Carlson, Brandon Sutter and Kyle Clifford. What were the other two?
Gudbranson i think was 1

Old
10-16-2013, 07:03 PM
SighReally

No one knows. Friedman was the one who covered the other 3.

Bets are that one of them included Huberdeau or Gudbranson in my opinion.

Old
10-16-2013, 07:19 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by SighReally View Post

I believe one was Bjugstad and another Gudbranson. Nothing about Huberdeau.

Old
10-16-2013, 07:32 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Cap space is only part of this current direction. Gillis had the option to get a matured asset for cheaper by possibly signing Gilbert or Kostka. Brunner was also there, as you know. Instead, he chose to go with a 24 year old Weber and picked up Stanton to park the older Alberts. He's given Dalpe and Schroeder a shot to secure spots in the bottom6, when more mature assets could be penciled in there. Basically, he's actively going in the direction of trying to develop younger players here.

With every opportunity to add a matured asset, Gillis has to make a choice between taking space away from a young player or locking down a position long term. The team has 7 vet forwards. Replacing Booth with a vet keeps that number consistent. So maybe there is room for one vet. Moving him for a younger player increases the youth and the odds such a player brakes out via development here too though. So there are positives both ways.

I think Gillis might continue on this path of looking at younger players he thinks he can develop into useful pieces, rather than going after the mature assets a la Roy. The depth moves speak to this. If those young players completely flop in half a year, maybe thats enough to get him to switch gears again and go with an older solution, but then one would have to wonder what his overall direction really is...
I like Stanton so far better than either Gilbert or Kostka to be honest. That was a very solid pickup from the Canucks pro scouts. We can't afford Brunner as he makes more than twice our remaining cap space. Unless Booth was gone we had no room to make an acquisition whether we wanted to or not. Although Capgeek has us having potentially 5.7m in cap space at the deadline with which we can add players, so it becomes a lot more possible to go and acquire someone than it was with the 1m and change we had to start the season.(I'm not sure exactly how that works, though)

Old
10-16-2013, 08:36 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SighReally View Post

Yeah I seem to recall speculation that two of them were Panthers.

Old
10-16-2013, 08:44 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 1512
Nearing 1000 posts.

Continue here: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1#post72736991

Closed Thread