HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2013, 05:42 PM
AssistantCaptain*

vCash: 500
There will be no improvement until a sacrifice is made. Who is willing?

Old
10-16-2013, 05:44 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AssistantCaptain View Post
There will be no improvement until a sacrifice is made. Who is willing?
Didn't work so good for them either, just saying, the Spanish conquest kept happening..

Maybe the calendar was broke..

Old
10-16-2013, 05:45 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
The team has a garbage record thus both Eakins and MacT have done a crap job. This is not some 1st year of a 1st round picks year anymore. I have liked some of Eakins moves but friggin hate some of them. (Yakupov benching). MacT failed monstrously re 'goatending' after he failed to land his coveted starters by settling for total scrubs like Bachman and Lababera as backups.

In any case he better get it figured out soon because being totally behind the 8 ball after 20 games re playoffs would be a sheer and utter joke.
Oh c'mon Beerfish. There was only so much MacT could do given the dire situation that Tambo created here over the last 4 or 5 years.

Did you honestly expect Mactavish to magically erase the teams problems with Defense, depth on the top 3 lines, depth at center, coaching issues, as well as the goaltending. MacT already pretty much stated at the beginning of his tenure that he wasn't all about the goaltending situation that the Oilers have got themselves in.

No GM in the Nhl can make all the changes that MacT was faced with in that short span of time. I think Mactavish is gonna come through when we need him to.

Also...more on topic, I like what Eakins is doing so far. There doesn't seem to be a lot of "favoritism" going on when he's making decisions like sitting certain players. Either you play like you should be able to, or you get sat.

I expect more of our so called "star" players to be benched throughout the year.

Time to give up the lollipops and rainbows fantasy on this team.

Time to pay the piper.

Old
10-16-2013, 05:47 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Aside from that first goal I thought Labarbera had a pretty strong game, there was those two squeakers that almost went through but this guy is our back up goalie...

I think peoples expectations for Labarbera are kind of high... he is what he is.

Old
10-16-2013, 05:48 PM
tommyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Yeah, basically what I'm stating. If we're going to use a swarm system we have to do a much better job of containing passing lanes.
tbh the players on this club are barely used to covering for backchecks so the learning curve on this is more than would typically be the case. A club with players used to spotting open men and that were using vision/communication all the time to identify where opponents are does better with swarm.

I can't say with confidence that even LaBarbera knew Joel Ward was parked in a dangerous area. Shultz knew it but I don't think he said anything. No communication of that had gone on from viewing sequence. To be fair though it was afairc the last seconds of a 4 on 3 so some atypical confusion understandable.
The swarm system is a bad idea for THIS team ! Here's why : At this level of hockey players need to do things on instinct and impulse, With the Swarm system you are asking players to change something they have been doing since 10 years old. This change is causing the players to take an extra split second to think, In the NHL there is not much time to think , it has to be action/reaction. Now, this system may work well with an older, more experienced team, however most of our core players are still feeling their way into the league. It's asking a lot of these players to learn the NHL game and a new/unusual system. This is a Colossal mistake on Eakins part.

Old
10-16-2013, 05:49 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyb View Post
The swarm system is a bad idea for THIS team ! Here's why : At this level of hockey players need to do things on instinct and impulse, With the Swarm system you are asking players to change something they have been doing since 10 years old. This change is causing the players to take an extra split second to think, In the NHL there is not much time to think , it has to be action/reaction. Now, this system may work well with an older, more experienced team, however most of our core players are still feeling their way into the league. It's asking a lot of these players to learn the NHL game and a new/unusual system. This is a Colossal mistake on Eakins part.
Out of curiosity because I honestly don't know ... what other teams in the NHL employ the "swarm" system (or something similar)?

Old
AssistantCaptain*

Quote:
Didn't work so good for them either, just saying, the Spanish conquest kept happening..

Maybe the calendar was broke..
Damn you and your understanding of Mayan history.

Old
Stoneman89

Quote:
Most teams and players are sensible enough not to have critical breakdowns against the best players in hockey. Most competitive teams and players rise to the occasion to at least attempt to shutdown the best players in hockey. This Oilers club sends out invitations to be owned.

OV didn't even have to break a sweat to get the goal. Didn't have to break a check, didn't have to make a fancy move to get open. He cloaked open easily twice in 10 secs because there was no coverage offerered. TWICE. In response to some of the best hockey hands in the game. This is the easiest OV goal he gets. We did the same with Jagr a few games ago. Letting goal scoring legends walk into slot untouched.

When we're not letting a guy like OV kill us with a goal we're letting Backstrom set them up. Only bad things happen when that happens.

Wayne Gretzky would have killed this club every night for fun. He would stop short of uttering Mickey Mouse.

One of the things that HAS to change with the swarm D is players being MUCH better at blocking passing lanes and preventing the passes across. We're trying to execute swarm to oneside D while allowing passes across freely...lol

N Schultz staring at Backstrom. Everybody in the building knows whats going down. Schultz right there to try to block shot but with a poor pass blocking stance. Do they ever practice this? Backstrom throws a perfect pass right by Schultz like he would 9/10 times. Instant goal. Rented mule.

Every team out there has breakdowns. The difference is, they have goalies that are capable of covering up and stopping most of those breakdowns.

Old
10-16-2013, 05:51 PM
Baby Nilsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Out of curiosity because I honestly don't know ... what other teams in the NHL employ the "swarm" system (or something similar)?
I believe the red wings do.

Old
10-16-2013, 06:10 PM
tommyb

Jets !

Old
10-16-2013, 06:13 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Hey guys. Leaf fan checking in. About the special teams. I think the PK will be great for u guys soon. The marlies were always a great PK squad under dallas. the PP is the ?. Marlies were sometimes good and bad with man advantage. However with great talent here. They should be fine.

Old
10-16-2013, 06:15 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
Is Eakins going to pick on anyone else besides Yakupov?

Old
10-16-2013, 06:16 PM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
Who else isn't producing?

Old
10-16-2013, 06:18 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
I actually think Eakins thinks extremely highly of Yakupov, this is a tactic to try to get him to buy in a little more to a more rounded game, but we'll see what happens.

Hall honestly is playing poorly right now. RNH isn't playing great either, but you can't really pick on him as he probably shouldn't even be playing right now.

Old
10-16-2013, 06:24 PM
peck420

Quote:
Doesn't really matter because there are multiple variations of swarm.

Personally, I don't mind the swarm, but I do mind the double-pins in the defensive zone. Leaves us awfully exposed if we don't win the board battle.

I believe that we have been scored on, in almost every game, from that one mistake.

Old
10-16-2013, 06:30 PM
tommyb

Game vs. Pens , both Dmen and the center in the corner battling for the puck and Yak at the top of the blue paint covering the slot. I don't like this !

Old
10-16-2013, 06:31 PM
manningite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
Hey guys. Leaf fan checking in. About the special teams. I think the PK will be great for u guys soon. The marlies were always a great PK squad under dallas. the PP is the ?. Marlies were sometimes good and bad with man advantage. However with great talent here. They should be fine.
Oilers fan here good to know.

Kidding, thanks for the heads up...

Our last coach ran a deadly PP, not much will compare.

We are all sitting here fingers crossed that Eakins defense and breakout systems take and pay dividends.

Old
10-16-2013, 07:42 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AssistantCaptain View Post
Damn you and your understanding of Mayan history.
This Replacement character knows allot of crap. He's a tough nut to crack. Kind of reminds me of a favorite magazine character I liked as a kid. Don't know why but....

Old
10-16-2013, 07:46 PM
saskganesh

Those are Aztecs.

Carry on.

Old
10-16-2013, 09:27 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledUp View Post
Yep, your top players have to be your top players, if they aren't their TOI needs to be cut until they are. Tbh we haven't seen much of tough guy Eakins accountability thus far in terms of cutting ice time and scratching underperformers.

The good thing with our horrific goaltending is that the mental lapses and low percentage plays of our top talents is being brutally exposed. Hard for a guy like Hall to pretend he's arrived as a player when he's directly causing several goals against with clumsy plays.
Same goes for J.Schultz pathetic defense, RNHs sloppy puck management and D zone coverage, Ebs lackluster dangles, Yaks unfocused positioning and shooting.

We'll likely get better when it comes to the win column, as bad as our goalie tandem is there's no way they'll put up the numbers they are right now and our skill players will get more puck luck eventually, my hope is that the coach is good enough to use these breakdowns to actually teach these guys how to become an actual winner in this league, not just a guy who puts up points and makes thte highlite reel from time to time.

Too soon to tell if Eakins got what it takes, doesn't look superb tus far but way early. Especially since this is a very difficult group to coach. So far in their careers they've been to coaches what KFC is to chickens.

Btw. One thing I've never understood is the talk about draft pedigree like it matters. Why? It's a nice little recognition when a player is 18 but as soon as the draft is over it's completely irrelevant. It's all about how you perform on the NHL ice. Being a number 1 or first round pick means absolutely nothing in the NHL. You've proved nothing. You've accomplished nothing. I guess someone should tell our stars that.
Eakins agrees as well:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/e...o-work-harder/

Old
10-17-2013, 07:51 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
It's just great that it would happen to be our tandem that seem to be the most impacted, lol.

We can't buy a break, we play life less zombie hockey for the better part of the last few years, and finally start playing a more aggressive, harder style upfront, but now our goalie's can't make a save. Figures.
Dubnyk said his pads are an inch shorter and that wasn't the issue.

Old
10-17-2013, 09:09 AM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyb View Post
From what I have seen to this point the swarm is working a hell of a lot better then the joke Krueger was running last year. They aren't getting run ragged in their own zone nearly as bad as last year. Clearly it's going to take time and their hasn't been a total buy in which is needed with this system. They aren't aggressive enough with it yet which Eakins mentioned as being a key component of this system. It seems time is in short supply around here but I hope Dallas sticks to his guns and gives it a chance. It would be nice to get a god damn save once in a while too. The two headed **** beast is making this operation look bad.

Old
10-17-2013, 09:11 AM
GMofOilers

Well the players believe so that's all that really matters.

Old
10-17-2013, 09:46 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Oh c'mon Beerfish. There was only so much MacT could do given the dire situation that Tambo created here over the last 4 or 5 years.

I laugh so much at this. All tambo did was obtain all the top talent on this team. Until about the last year no one wanted to run him out of town. Now the organization gets yet another free pass due to a new gm and new coach. No more friggin free passes. The team has some top end talent that are in year 3-4. Tons of teams with lesser talent out perform the oilers every year. MacT and Eakins get no more leeway than than the previous year and they have repeatedly said as much themselves.

Old
10-17-2013, 10:06 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
This Replacement character knows allot of crap. He's a tough nut to crack. Kind of reminds me of a favorite magazine character I liked as a kid. Don't know why but....

Perhaps because I'm a little mad..

I am a longtime fan of the Oilers and Eskimos so I'm a little neurotic at least.

I'm not yet prone to superstition but I do have certain rituals regarding games now;

1)Coping fluids need to be within arm reach at all times while watching said contests.

2)Alternate viewing channel is previously selected as emergency and ongoing option in case of meltdown. Either by team or resident.

3) I duct tape remote control to my hand so that I'm not tempted again to pitch it through the big screen hdtv..

4)Specific instructions are posted on door of recroom not to enter man cave if resident therein is speaking in tongues. Especially don't enter if rants include phrases like X player is worse than Omark and Brule combined.

5) I don't make plans to do anything that require attention, or drive heavy machinery after viewing games as I'm reduced to babbling drivel. I don't plan to do anything important for several hours after game ingestion.

6) I alert the wife in such instances not to call the police or ambulance but that I just viewed another Edmonton sports team and that my glazed over eyes and catatonic drool are hopefully a temporary condition. Please turn on HBO distraction and check back on me in am. Take away all unfinished coping fluids.

Closed Thread