HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Ruslan "Rusty" Salei

Old
10-15-2013, 07:55 PM
Sm4ckSm4sh
This is Atomic Love

vCash: 500
Ruslan "Rusty" Salei

I saw some psychic show this weekend and it involved Salei's family trying to get in contact with his spirit.

It got me thinking about one of my favourite NHL players and what everyone else thought about him?

What did everyone think about him when he broke into the league and thereafter. Would you say his crowning achievement was the Game 3 OT winner against New Jersey in 2003? Or being captain of the 4th place Belorussian team at the 2002 Olympics?

Sm4ckSm4sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 12:06 AM
invictus

I wanted the Pens to sign him coming out of the lockout. I was always a fan.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 06:11 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

A good bottom 4 defenseman to have around. I was never a fan but I didnt dislike him either.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 06:56 AM
Sentinel

Captain of Team Belarus in SLC for sure. Miracle on Ice in the new millennium.

Sentinel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 09:27 AM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

An underrated 2nd pairing guy, I've thought. He was 2nd in ice time in the Ducks Game 7 Stanley Cup Finals run. He was top-3 in ice time most years (over his first decade plus) until his second last year he was 4th, and then his last year was in Detroit he was 36 years old and in the 14th year of his NHL career so his third pairing role was certainly not typical of his career.

Drafted 9th overall in the 1st round, with a long, solid NHL career as a non-flashy Euro blueliner (Tyutin-like), Salei met a tragic end at the start of a KHL career.

There are so many solid second pairing long-career NHLers worthy of recognition, and he's among them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBuMJ793UrI

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 04:36 PM
Big Phil

I often associate him with this dirty check. For whatever reason this play never got the publicity on an all-time front that I think it should. Probably because Modano didn't end up paralyzed - somehow.

He slew foot a couple other players but this is the thing that sticks out in my mind about him. He could have done so many things at that point. The most notable could have been hang onto Modano and then shove him into the boards once he was right next to them. That way he is out of the play, but not hurt. But this play was just downright vicious. That is no man's land right there for Modano.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 05:00 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I often associate him with this dirty check. For whatever reason this play never got the publicity on an all-time front that I think it should. Probably because Modano didn't end up paralyzed - somehow.

He slew foot a couple other players but this is the thing that sticks out in my mind about him. He could have done so many things at that point. The most notable could have been hang onto Modano and then shove him into the boards once he was right next to them. That way he is out of the play, but not hurt. But this play was just downright vicious. That is no man's land right there for Modano.
He leg-whipped Daniel Briere in a preseason game, which left Briere unconscious and convulsing.

Salei could have ultimately been a more physical Rostislav Klesla. But for me anyway, there were too many moments that showed a complete lack of respect for opposing players.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 05:54 PM
mco543

Loved Salei on the Panthers then he was traded for Skrastins and I really liked him too. It's a tragedy they were both on that Lokomotiv club.

mco543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 07:25 PM
Mouse21*

he was good his first year for the Avs, just alright after that. he had some back problems though.

Mouse21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 08:08 PM
Terry Yake

he was a longtime fan favorite in Anaheim and even after he left

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote