Closed Thread

Old
10-15-2013, 08:59 AM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
I don't think he played in the Titans tourney??
Sorry. Meant to quote MapleLeafs comment on Mendonca at the TT...not Garyboy's Chychrun comment

Old
10-15-2013, 10:31 AM
hockeyonyourmind

good tournament in hamilton for some kids this past weekend. fun to watch some future ohlers .nice to see some lesser names mentioned in omha as well. sta winning and are regarded as one of favourites out of scta. i think there are truly some more sleeper picks that will come from that loop come april. maybe not your high end point producers, but some overall complete players. anyone see any other names they like out of omha or scta. hoping to watch some games this weekend from that league.cheers

Old
10-15-2013, 03:59 PM
Andrew Sykes

Saw all three days in London and there were a number of standout performers. Up front the top guys all played well. I liked McLeod and Saigeon as expected but I was just as impressed if not more with Pu and am surprised he isn't getting more buzz as a Top 5 pick. I think he will by the end of the year as I did not see much between him and McLeod and Saigeon. Was not overly impressed with Mizzi and Mascherin. Mizzi is all speed and can be contained by keeping him to the perimeter where he eventually holds on to the puck too long. Mascherin is a dominant player at this level but mostly due to superior strength and power. His shot, release and finishing ability is exceptional but away from the puck he is sometimes lazy and doesn't always move his feet. I also liked Ang (Markham), Paquette (Kingston), Belisle (Thunder Bay), Buch, Matteson, Caamano (Hamilton), O'Brien (London), Campbell, Katchouk, Schneider (Waterloo), Smith (South Central), Griffen, Laidlaw, Crawford (Eastern), Marco (North York), among others.

There were a ton of good defenceman, the best and arguably the MVP of the tournament being Matt Timms of Hamilton. He might have been the smartest player in the tournament and was far and away the best passer and puck-mover of any d-man. Also has a bit of a mean streak and logs a ton of minutes. Candella was very impressive and Barbosa looked good too. I liked the Marlies defencemen, particularly Coffey and Cairns. Schaefer was elite for Hamilton as well, and Williams from Thunder Bay looked really good.

Lawr from Halton was the most impressive goalie.

Last edited by Andrew Sykes: 10-15-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old
10-15-2013, 05:28 PM
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune

Was able to take in both the Hamilton and London tournaments this weekend with my respective regional scouts.

Continue to be impressed with Waterloo. Im a sucker for big defenceman, and Logan Stanley is almost as big as you get. 6'5 with that kind of mobility, I don't doubt that teams will be lining up for him. Had one GM suggest that he may be a top 10 pick. The line of Schneider/Campbell/Katchouk line has some fantastic chemistry.

The Bulldogs are extremely deep, their defence core may be unhealed when compared to other top teams, but they all get things done. Without Schiefer and Timms, they probably don't make it out of the round robin. Both played steady, mistake free hockey.

Safe to say Cliff Pu is challenging for a top 10 spot. So much untapped ability. Hes somewhat inconsistent, however the upside could be incredible. I see him now versus where he was even 6 months ago, and Im astounded by the sharp improvement, I think he's only scratching the surface.

Only negative in London was the lack of a second period flood and only scheduling an hour and 15 minutes for games. Everything felt so rushed. Next year I hope the reduce the teams and get back to a normal schedule. Some scouts won't be back if its the same set up.

In Hamilton it was the Mendonca show. Kid looked so poised and controlled in all situations. Shifty, high pace to his game. Have yet to release our tournament reports, however Id expect him to be named top performer.

Another high potential player to keep an eye on is Keaton Middleton. Excellent size/mobility combination. Won't wow you offensively, but he has one of the best wingspans ive seen, so incredibly hard to get past. Always angling off, away from the play. His stick is impressive as well, constantly knocking passes down or sneaking it in to steal pucks when lead expected. A few other sleepers on Huron Perth include Jared Nash and Jack Wieringa.

Loved watching the 67's, thought the line lof Cole Carter/Alex Way/William Bitten may have been the most fun to watch. Always going, they have some great chemistry.

Ill be up in Ottawa this weekend for the OEMHL showcase, feel free to check out my twitter account for updates.

Last edited by SeanLafortune: 10-15-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old
10-15-2013, 07:55 PM
Gallagher4321

STA vs Hamilton next week. Will be interesting to see how the two teams match up and which players show up to play.

Old
10-15-2013, 08:42 PM
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher4321 View Post
STA vs Hamilton next week. Will be interesting to see how the two teams match up and which players show up to play.
Plus Vaughan/Jr Canadiens here in the GTHL. They don't make it easy for those of us who want to see both games lol

Old
10-16-2013, 01:37 PM
mapleleaf979

JRC point leaders through 9gp(GTHL only), 7gp for Chychrun:

Hancock 8G, 6A
Chychrun 8G, 6A
Cmunt 4G, 8A
Barron 5G, 6A
Sherman 4G, 5A
Rymsha 5G,4A
Mete 2G, 5A

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 10-16-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old
10-16-2013, 01:55 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
JRC point leaders through 9gp(GTHL only), 7gp for Chychrun:

Hancock 8G, 6A
Chychrun 8G, 6A
Cmunt 4G, 8A
Barron 5G, 6A
Sherman 4G, 5A
Rymsha 5G,4A
Mete 2G, 5A
Wow. I wonder if Chychrun has OHL intentions....

Old
10-16-2013, 03:16 PM
webegtodiffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Wow. I wonder if Chychrun has OHL intentions....
I wonder how Branch will allow Jacob to go to London?

Old
10-16-2013, 03:33 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by webegtodiffer View Post
I wonder how Branch will allow Jacob to go to London?
Chychrun and Werenski together? Yikes LOL

Old
10-16-2013, 03:34 PM
justahockeyguy

Saw quite a few games on the weekend out in London. Some very good hockey and quite a few suprises.

It was a nice change to see a few different teams make it through to Sunday and on to the semi's and finals.

Obviously a very good showing for both Hamilton and Waterloo to make it to the finals, but also good performances from a few unexpected teams:

Eastern Ontario
Brantford 99'ers
Rebels
Kingston
Toronto Titans

Also some disappointing performances:

Whitby Wildcats
Don Mills Flyers
Vaughan Kings
Barrie Colts

Last edited by justahockeyguy: 10-16-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old
10-16-2013, 07:57 PM
sniper81

I've had a couple more looks at Ang on the Markham waxers. At first I liked his lasting and skillset but wasn't sure what he was all about, but now I'm starting to see and get his game. He just loves having the puck on his stick and is definitely a puck possession player to a tee. He basically runs the waxer power play himself, has a very hard one timer from the point but needs to work on his accuracy.

Old
10-16-2013, 08:33 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper81 View Post
I've had a couple more looks at Ang on the Markham waxers. At first I liked his lasting and skillset but wasn't sure what he was all about, but now I'm starting to see and get his game. He just loves having the puck on his stick and is definitely a puck possession player to a tee. He basically runs the waxer power play himself, has a very hard one timer from the point but needs to work on his accuracy.
Ang is a fantastic skater as well.

I know what u mean about "getting" a players game. Ive already changed my mind on a few players in the last month because the compete level is low end. Do u often see the high end flash from a player and than u realize after 5-10 games that the compete level is low end and when u balance that with that flash of skill, he is probably just an average pick in the Top 4 rounds.

Old
10-16-2013, 08:45 PM
sniper81

Quote:

I know what u mean about "getting" a players game. Ive already changed my mind on a few players in the last month because the compete level is low end. Do u often see the high end flash from a player and than u realize after 5-10 games that the compete level is low end and when u balance that with that flash of skill, he is probably just an average pick in the Top 4 rounds.
Honestly that was my issues with ang, titans tournament and first league view he looked like he didn't want to compete, I've been starting to see his competitive edge now. I will say a couple Toronto marlies haven't shown the proper compete level needed for the next level though..

Old
10-16-2013, 08:52 PM
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune

Quote:
Quote:

Agreed 100 percent.

Watch Ang lately, the kid competes and is visually frustrated at the lack of team success. Its a bit early for that, but at least he cares. I've always been an Ang guy, felt that he has gamebreaking ability. Will be interesting to see if he can elevate those around him this year in Markham.

Old
10-16-2013, 09:02 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Honestly that was my issues with ang, titans tournament and first league view he looked like he didn't want to compete, I've been starting to see his competitive edge now. I will say a couple Toronto marlies haven't shown the proper compete level needed for the next level though..
Id like to see a Canada vs US final at SilverSticks. Hopefully JRC or Marlboro vs Honeybaked. Too bad Latorella isnt on Honeybaked U16 this year. Have u seen Latorella play? Incredible talent. Watching Honeybaked last year during the Christmas tourney, I spent half the game just Iso cam on Latorella. Couldnt believe the skillset.

Old
10-16-2013, 10:03 PM
sniper81

Quote:
Id like to see a Canada vs US final at SilverSticks. Hopefully JRC or Marlboro vs Honeybaked. Too bad Latorella isnt on Honeybaked U16 this year. Have u seen Latorella play? Incredible talent. Watching Honeybaked last year during the Christmas tourney, I spent half the game just Iso cam on Latorella. Couldnt believe the skillset.
No I had a very busy job last year and could only make some ETA and gthl games. Silverstick will be a great weekend though.

Old
10-16-2013, 11:52 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
I can think of 4 of them. It wont affect one of them in the draft though, Mcleod has his spot reserved in the Top 5 somewhere already. Thats why I like Raddysh so much. U know what your getting. But Ill be honest, I cant bet the house that he is a power forward who's offense completely translates to the OHL, Im not sure yet. He may be a guy who has to grind, opens up space for the more skilled guys in the TOP 9. Of course the 2 different scenario's represent 2 totally different draft locations.

If we ever get critical about a player, its never personal. Bottom line, if they are talked about they are doing more things right than not. Special group of 98's.

Old
10-17-2013, 12:02 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLafortune View Post
Agreed 100 percent.

Watch Ang lately, the kid competes and is visually frustrated at the lack of team success. Its a bit early for that, but at least he cares. I've always been an Ang guy, felt that he has gamebreaking ability. Will be interesting to see if he can elevate those around him this year in Markham.
Ya I like that quality. B.Lemieux went a little far with that lol, but Id rather see Ang's reaction then players smiling/laughing after a 3-1 loss. B.Lemieux impressed/surprised the heck out of me in the last year though. I imagine he has 2nd round potential in the NHL draft.

Old
10-17-2013, 01:03 AM
sniper81

Quote:
I can think of 4 of them. It wont affect one of them in the draft though, Mcleod has his spot reserved in the Top 5 somewhere already. Thats why I like Raddysh so much. U know what your getting. But Ill be honest, I cant bet the house that he is a power forward who's offense completely translates to the OHL, Im not sure yet. He may be a guy who has to grind, opens up space for the more skilled guys in the TOP 9. Of course the 2 different scenario's represent 2 totally different draft locations.

If we ever get critical about a player, its never personal. Bottom line, if they are talked about they are doing more things right than not. Special group of 98's.
It's really hard to get a read on what raddysh will and can be, I like his grit but it's hard to say this early if that's his linemates that make him look better, need more views for sure. I still love McLeod I just hate seeing him take shifts off, glad to see Pu getting recognition he really deserves it. Barron might be one of my favourite forwards for the draft, skill set and aggressiveness/edge are always my favourites.

Old
10-19-2013, 03:13 PM
ExtremeHockeyFan

Quick Mock

Here's a quick mock of the top picks. Would Jakob Chychrun on the big ice be practical?

1. Belleville Bulls: Jakob Chychrun
2. Sarnia Sting: Adam Mascherin
3. Barrie Colts: Victor Mete
4. Windsor Spitfires: Mike McLeod
5. Kitchener Rangers: Logan Brown
6. Mississauga Steelheads: Brandon Saigeon
7. Ottawa 67's: Mitchell Mendonca
8. Sudbury Wolves: Joseph Mizzi
9. Owen Sound Attack: Sam Dunn
10. Niagara IceDogs: Logan Stanley
11. Saginaw Spirit: Max Jones
12. Plymouth Whalers: Timmy Gettinger
13. Peterborough Petes: Tye Felhaber
14. North Bay Battalion: Nicholas Sicoly
15. London Knights: Keaton Middleton
16. Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds: William Bitten
17. Guelph Storm: Jonathan Ang
18. Oshawa Generals: Cliff Pu
19. Erie Otters: Matt Barnes
20. Kingston Frontenacs: Taylor Raddysh

Feel free to critique. Thoughts?

Old
10-19-2013, 09:15 PM
ImaBullsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeHockeyFan View Post
Here's a quick mock of the top picks. Would Jakob Chychrun on the big ice be practical?

With every passing game, looking like we will be picking 1st, will chychrun report?

Old
10-20-2013, 11:35 AM
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaBullsfan View Post
With every passing game, looking like we will be picking 1st, will chychrun report?
Id think coming to Ontario when he could have played U18 in the States suggests so, but thats just an assumption. Will pick his brain in a few months, its still somewhat early.

Old
10-20-2013, 03:50 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeHockeyFan View Post

What's Fehlaber like? Looks a little small for a firstround forward. I know it's very early... But as of now if the Petes are picking in the back half of the draft... I want Cliff Pu

Old
10-21-2013, 07:31 AM
Generalwolfman

I'm new to this forum but I've seen the Marlies four or five times this season and felt compelled to chip in. From what I've seen, Cliff Pu won't be around at 18.

Closed Thread