HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oct 12: McGinn and Raffl recalled; Oct 25: McGinn sent to Adirondack

Old
10-16-2013, 10:48 PM
flyersfan28

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
where was our tough guy at the time? not on the ice, hard to do anything from the bench or press box because they can't play
shelley and sestito was here but wellwood and zolnierczyk was better

flyersfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 10:54 PM
RoDu

How could Shelley or Sestito done anything?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 10:55 PM
StandingCow

Quote:
How could Shelley or Sestito done anything?
Shelley would have broken Neal's fist with his face.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 10:57 PM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Shelley would have broken Neal's fist with his face.
Shelley wouldn't have been on the ice, so does he leave the bench? Does he just jump him and put us down for 5 or more?

Old
10-16-2013, 11:00 PM
StandingCow

Quote:
Shelley wouldn't have been on the ice, so does he leave the bench? Does he just jump him and put us down for 5 or more?
I was joking....

Old
10-16-2013, 11:01 PM
RoDu

Quote:
I was joking....
ah, sorry

Old
10-16-2013, 11:07 PM
flyersfan28

when neal cheapshot couturier they made nothing just after he made a cheapshot again if the 1st time they send the message he never made that on giroux

Old
10-16-2013, 11:07 PM
PhilaFlyers

If we need someone to go out and send a message on the next shift, we have Rinaldo. Throws huge checks and can fight. Also Simmonds, Hartnell, Schenn, Hall aren't afraid to drop em. No need for enforcers with zero ability to take up room on the bench. I'd take Talbot over an enforcer everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 11:09 PM
flyersfan28

lol i am the only shelley fans here or what ?

Old
10-16-2013, 11:11 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan28 View Post
Yes, you are the only fan of useless "players" who don't contribute to the team in any meaningful way.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 11:11 PM
flyersfan28

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
If we need someone to go out and send a message on the next shift, we have Rinaldo. Throws huge checks and can fight. Also Simmonds, Hartnell, Schenn, Hall aren't afraid to drop em. No need for enforcers with zero ability to take up room on the bench. I'd take Talbot over an enforcer everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.
yeah new flyers fans of 2013

Old
10-16-2013, 11:17 PM
RoDu

Shelley lost most of his fights while he played for us, why would he be popular?

And flyersfan28, you never answered my question, how could Shelley have done anything about Neal doing anything, and are you referring to Neal's hit on Couts in the playoffs?

Old
10-16-2013, 11:23 PM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
yeah new flyers fans of 2013
Dude the enforcer role is dying. Jay Rosehill is a liability on the ice and brings nothing to the team. Having a goon like Rosehill chase after James Neal does nothing but get the Flyers a penalty.
Max Talbot on the other hand kills penalties and is solid defensively. He's a very good grinder. He also scored 19 goals two seasons ago. And guess what he has a goal this season. One more than Giroux, Read, Voracek, and Couturier.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 11:46 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I didn't know they existed until you came along. The guy wasn't even good at his one & only job when he was here.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 11:52 PM
BernieParent

Let's turn this conversation around for a second. Why is Neal a very useful player to have on your roster? Because in addition to being an adept and tough fighter and agitator, Neal can actually play hockey. He's got decent hands, effectively crashes the net, and isn't a liability defensively.

On the other hand, Shelley and Rosehill don't play their hockey positions well. They are one-dimensional fighters who don't warrant close to the regular shifts that Neal gets every game. There are a few players in the league (Scott, Orr) against whom I'd want to line Rosehill. Against other teams without heavyweights, Rosehill isn't needed, even at the end of the bench.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 12:12 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Let's turn this conversation around for a second. Why is Neal a very useful player to have on your roster? Because in addition to being an adept and tough fighter and agitator, Neal can actually play hockey. He's got decent hands, effectively crashes the net, and isn't a liability defensively.

On the other hand, Shelley and Rosehill don't play their hockey positions well. They are one-dimensional fighters who don't warrant close to the regular shifts that Neal gets every game. There are a few players in the league (Scott, Orr) against whom I'd want to line Rosehill. Against other teams without heavyweights, Rosehill isn't needed, even at the end of the bench.
A player like Neal wouldn't give a guy like Shelley/Rosehill any attention. I wouldn't blame him neither it's a serious skill mismatch. If they wanted to get to him they would have to jump him & then Neal's team would end up on a PP so it wouldn't solve anything.

Cheap shots are bound to happen regardless of who's in the lineup, the NHL is too fast of a game now days for it not to happen.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 12:24 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
A player like Neal wouldn't give a guy like Shelley/Rosehill any attention. I wouldn't blame him neither it's a serious skill mismatch. If they wanted to get to him they would have to jump him & then Neal's team would end up on a PP so it wouldn't solve anything.

Cheap shots are bound to happen regardless of who's in the lineup, the NHL is too fast of a game now days for it not to happen.
Neal might go, depending on the circumstances of the game, but in most cases I'd agree with you. He doesn't need to drop the gloves with a uni-goon. I agree, too, that having one-dimensional muscle doesn't do much to deter cheap shots.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 01:01 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
when neal cheapshot couturier they made nothing just after he made a cheapshot again if the 1st time they send the message he never made that on giroux
I have read this 5 times.

umm what?

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 02:54 AM
MP92

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I have read this 5 times.

umm what?
I don't think English is his first language.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 03:14 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

The concept of enforcers protecting anybody is completely bunk. The only time they could conceivably protect a star player from shenanigans is after the whistle. The only possible way they could protect a star player during actual play is if they carried that player on their back. Literally, on their back, probably in a padded backpack.

The idea that any of the crappy fighters this team has could have prevented Neal's goonery is just completely hilarious. What were they going to do, throw their own face in front of his elbow? These are ****ing NHL players. The kind of player who throws cheapshots is the kind of player who doesn't give a crap about repercussions. So what if someone fights you? All a player has to do is turtle and wait for the linesmen to pull you apart. It's like, 5 seconds of potential discomfort and a few punches that will do less damage than a blocked shot, if they even connect. Players have to protect themselves first and foremost. Dedicated enforcers who can't do anything else don't do much aside from making the team worse.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 10-17-2013 at 03:21 AM.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 06:00 AM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
The concept of enforcers protecting anybody is completely bunk. The only time they could conceivably protect a star player from shenanigans is after the whistle. The only possible way they could protect a star player during actual play is if they carried that player on their back. Literally, on their back, probably in a padded backpack.

The idea that any of the crappy fighters this team has could have prevented Neal's goonery is just completely hilarious. What were they going to do, throw their own face in front of his elbow? These are ****ing NHL players. The kind of player who throws cheapshots is the kind of player who doesn't give a crap about repercussions. So what if someone fights you? All a player has to do is turtle and wait for the linesmen to pull you apart. It's like, 5 seconds of potential discomfort and a few punches that will do less damage than a blocked shot, if they even connect. Players have to protect themselves first and foremost. Dedicated enforcers who can't do anything else don't do much aside from making the team worse.
Totally agree. It's better to have people that can actually play the game, but still drop the gloves than to have someone that adds nothing but the ability to fight.

Enforcers are done for.

Old
10-17-2013, 07:38 AM
Appleyard

Quote:
Totally agree. It's better to have people that can actually play the game, but still drop the gloves than to have someone that adds nothing but the ability to fight.

Enforcers are done for.
Yep, if players are not stupid or reactionary now the 'enforcers' are rendered completely benign.

And apart from 'heavyweights' a guy like Simmonds can pretty much hold his own against any guy in the league, and play hockey/not be a liability at the same time. He beat Clarkson, Brewer, Boyle, Moen, Alberts and probably beat Bickel, and held Matt Martin.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 10:44 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

So our lead goal scorer is McGinn and apparently is an inspiration energy wise to Voracek...

I like Chief's comment...

Quote:
Jakub Voracek said that Tye McGinn, whose play was inspirational in two games, gives him energy on the first line. Berube doesn’t want to hear that, especially given Voracek is averaging barely one shot a game on the top line when he should be averaging three shots a night. “I don’t know why he is relying on Tye to give him energy,” Berube said. “Hopefully, that is not the case.”

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...l-canucks-game

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 10:52 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I'll eat some crow on Tye Mcginn. Mind you he didn't play well during the Phantoms games either but since being on the big club he looks really good.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 02:12 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
So our lead goal scorer is McGinn and apparently is an inspiration energy wise to Voracek...

I like Chief's comment...
Who's the inspiration for Giroux?

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote