HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paul Ranger signs with Toronto (1 year, $1 million)

Old
09-12-2013, 05:29 AM
garmonbozia

vCash: 500
The more he buries it, the less he talks about it, the more I believe it wasn't any of the personal problem type of situations commonly surmised. If it was drugs or depression or a break-up or homesick or family problems or whatever...why still hide it? Someone who really wanted to project the inner strength, mental wherewithal, and self-confidence that Paul implies in those quotes would not let themselves be apparently bothered by their past such that they can't confront it. Talking about those problems is often a key part of healing/conquering them. Keeping them secret versus preferring people know the truth costs more in the long run than its worth.

Nobody has right nor reason to really question him on it further than he's willing to say.

What if it was a little more of a 'professional' nature than anyone really realizes?

garmonbozia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 04:11 PM
TheBeastCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmonbozia View Post
The more he buries it, the less he talks about it, the more I believe it wasn't any of the personal problem type of situations commonly surmised. If it was drugs or depression or a break-up or homesick or family problems or whatever...why still hide it? Someone who really wanted to project the inner strength, mental wherewithal, and self-confidence that Paul implies in those quotes would not let themselves be apparently bothered by their past such that they can't confront it. Talking about those problems is often a key part of healing/conquering them. Keeping them secret versus preferring people know the truth costs more in the long run than its worth.

Nobody has right nor reason to really question him on it further than he's willing to say.

What if it was a little more of a 'professional' nature than anyone really realizes?
You are right, talking about this kind of thing is a lot of times good for a person in the recovery of whatever he may have gone through, but why exactly does that have to be through the media? He very well may have a shrink that he goes and talks to weekly, that does the very same thing while keeping his personal life personal. Would I like for him to come out and say what the reasoning for him leaving was? Yes. But it is 100% his decision in the end.

TheBeastCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 08:06 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
He decides out of nowhere he doesn't want to play hockey anymore.

Just days after his rights being held by TB expire and he is officially an UFA he has a change of heart and wants to try a comeback.

Signs with Marlies.

Signs with Toronto.

Lot of coincidence IMO. Could just be that but sure looks fishy.
You do know he left the game for3 years right.... not that he didn't want to be in Tampa, I wouldn't have taken this personally if he was in Philly.... (I liken it to Ricky Williams type deal) He left b/c he didn't love the game and had to deal with whatever he had to deal with. He went back to school at university. HE didn't LOVE the game when he left, he end up coaching his old minor team he played for. He didn't leave Tampa just to leave Tampa (he would have left anywhere he was at that point in time).....

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 08:55 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
It sounds very much like he was fighting depression. Whatever it is, I hope hes solid and wish him the best.
The entire media seems to dance around talking about what his actual issues are out of respect for him, but if you read between the lines, absolutely everything I've ever heard suggests some sort of mental health issues.

The media knows way more about this than they will come right out and say, but it seems to be alluded to constantly. That's the sense I get anyway.

Gutchecktime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 09:39 PM
kovatroll*
David Clarkson ✘👎

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
The entire media seems to dance around talking about what his actual issues are out of respect for him, but if you read between the lines, absolutely everything I've ever heard suggests some sort of mental health issues.

The media knows way more about this than they will come right out and say, but it seems to be alluded to constantly. That's the sense I get anyway.
And yet you seem some pos posters in this board/thread/site saying it was all some great conspiracy created to **** of TB. Sports fans are often disgusting human beings.

kovatroll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 11:45 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovatroll View Post
And yet you seem some pos posters in this board/thread/site saying it was all some great conspiracy created to **** of TB. Sports fans are often disgusting human beings.
Nobody claims it's a conspiracy. No thinks it was some elaborate plan hatched in an evil mind to **** over the Lightning. I'm sure he was depressed about his situation and just wasn't happy playing/living where he was. I'm not happy that he left with no explanation for several years and then decides to come back just after his obligation to us ends. The decent thing to do would be at least come back and give us a shot or let us trade you for literally anything. Hockey is a business and we invested something in him when we took him in the draft, to simply walk away from all obligations doesn't sit right with me.

I wish him well as a human being and would never have ill wishes for him personally, I'm just not fond of the entire situation. Whatever the case was then, glad he's ok now.

And just for future consideration, why not keep your bashing to the main boards and avoid calling Lightning fans "pieces of ****" here simply because they feel they deserved at least some type of explanation.

MattM92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 11:51 PM
The YzerJesus
HoseEmAllAround

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92 View Post
And just for future consideration, why not keep your bashing to the main boards and avoid calling Lightning fans "pieces of ****" here simply because they feel they deserved at least some type of explanation.
I think you misinterpreted the intention of his post. I think he's saying some other people suck for saying Ranger just made the stuff up to get out of Tampa "because it's not a true hockey market."

The YzerJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 11:59 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopThereItIs View Post
I think you misinterpreted the intention of his post. I think he's saying some other people suck for saying Ranger just made the stuff up to get out of Tampa "because it's not a true hockey market."
You may be right. If I misinterpreted, ignore what I said. If I didn't, please re-read and take it to heart.

Old
10-11-2013, 12:16 PM
ultra63

"Over in Toronto, the Maple Leafs had a feel-good story over the summer in Paul Ranger. The defenseman had mysteriously quit hockey early in the 2009-10 season while he was playing for Tampa Bay and only returned last year, when he suited up for the American League’s Toronto Marlies. Ranger won’t go into the reason for his hiatus, but has said it was a personal matter.

Now 29, Ranger has been given ample opportunity to prove himself in the Leafs lineup and though the team is off to a solid 3-1-0 start, the big blueliner has struggled. In Tuesday night’s loss to the Avalanche, the game-winning goal came as a result of a series of errors and fumbles on Ranger’s part and though he’s a plus-1 on the season, young partner Jake Gardiner has often bailed him out when an opponent has slipped – or blown – by the veteran."

Can't say I feel bad for him since he abandoned the Bolts.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...odern-NHL.html

ultra63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 03:08 PM
DarrylshutzSydor

To Everyone who said that Steve Yzerman knows why and was ok with letting him go:

Ranger left on 10/26/09

Yzerman was hired on 5/25/10

just sayin'

DarrylshutzSydor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 03:18 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrylshutzSydor View Post
To Everyone who said that Steve Yzerman knows why and was ok with letting him go:

Ranger left on 10/26/09

just sayin'
He LEFT on 10/26/09. He was still under contract well into Yzerman's tenure.

Old
10-17-2013, 06:19 PM
chasespace

Quote:

Ranger left on 10/26/09

just sayin'
He was under contract when Yzerman took over. He even sent him a qualifying offer to hold his rights.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 06:52 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:

Ranger left on 10/26/09

just sayin'
Ranger, his agent, and Yzerman had plenty of private conversations while he was under contract.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...et-now/2048642
Quote:
"I've had some very good conversations with him," Yzerman said. "He's a really nice young man. I don't want to speak publicly on his behalf, but he's sorting out with what he wants to do with his hockey career and with his life. At this time he's not prepared to commit to coming back to the NHL, and I respect his position. I left it with him that the door is open if at some point he decides, 'I'm ready to play. I want to play for the Lightning,' let me know. And if you want to play but feel it's best that you need a fresh start, let me know as well. I want to work with him. ... We'll do what's right for Paul and we'll do what's right for the Lightning."

Ranger's agent, Joe Resnick, who declined to comment on his client's situation, said Yzerman has hit just the right tone.

"Steve Yzerman has been a gentleman throughout this process," Resnick said.

Old
10-18-2013, 02:27 PM
DarrylshutzSydor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
Ranger, his agent, and Yzerman had plenty of private conversations while he was under contract.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...et-now/2048642
Yes, but my point was that he left and was let go before Yzerman came along. Was he even ever suspended?

DarrylshutzSydor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 02:51 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Yes, but my point was that he left and was let go before Yzerman came along. Was he even ever suspended?
He was not let go before Yzerman is our point.

Old
10-18-2013, 02:54 PM
chasespace

Quote:
Your point is still incorrect. He was under contract with Tampa when Yzerman took over and they continued to hold his rights for a year following Yzerman's arrival. He was never suspended he was simply allowed a leave of absence for personal reasons.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote