HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Cam Ward RAGE POST. Rage Against the Machine

Old
10-17-2013, 03:20 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Huracanista View Post
Ward is paid like an all-star when really he's an average to above-average starter.

The most surprising thing about his career is how it survived two years of being AWFUL. I mean a .897 save percentage and a .904 save percentage in the years following the Stanley Cup. Young Cam Ward makes Peters look like Hasek. When your starter is playing 60 games with those kind of numbers, you're missing the playoffs purely due to goaltending. Lavi's tenure with the Canes ended because Cam Ward was basically the same story as Steve Mason (only plus a Conn Smythe).

However, when healthy over his last 4 years, Wardo's been >.915, and that's about average. And he's definitely passed the eye test so far this season. I'm willing to forget the younger version and the injured lockout year version. Wardo's good, he's just overpaid.
If you look at the advanced stats, 2010-2011 was an outstanding year for Ward. He needs to get back to that type of year for this team currently constructed to make it.

I think he needs a little slack for the first 20 or so games though because of the injury and lockout, he's only played 25 games over a year and a half.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 03:33 PM
geehaad

Quote:
The most surprising thing about his career is how it survived two years of being AWFUL. I mean a .897 save percentage and a .904 save percentage in the years following the Stanley Cup. Young Cam Ward makes Peters look like Hasek. When your starter is playing 60 games with those kind of numbers, you're missing the playoffs purely due to goaltending. Lavi's tenure with the Canes ended because Cam Ward was basically the same story as Steve Mason (only plus a Conn Smythe).
Did you follow this team during the Cup year like you do now, or did you only have casual interest (or less)?

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 03:33 PM
bluedevil58

There is the excuses again A pro who makes 6.7m a year need to be ready to show up when it's game time. There is no time for adjustment. Yes, our division ahs not started off well but it will only be a matter of time being Washington, NYR, and possibly NYI and maybe even Columbus start firing on all cylinders. Meanwhile, we're waiting for ward to "adjust". As it stands in his last 5 games he is 0-2-3. So basically he is 0 for 5 in his last 5 starts. People are forgetting how big of a role Gerber played in our cup winning year. That guy lead us to a top seed in the playoffs and home ice advantage.

bluedevil58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 03:35 PM
Sens1Canes2

I guess I look at Ward, then I look at the other goalies in the league. Go thru the list and ask yourself, who would you absolutely take over Ward? There are definitely a few, a few more where I would say "eh, they're about the same" and then there are plenty who I wouldn't even consider. Like The Huricanista said above, 10-15. We realize he's a touch overpaid, but you know when the playoffs come around, he's among the top 3 or 4. Like some, I believe the failure to MAKE IT to the playoffs lies mostly elsewhere, but he definitely could be more consistent in the regular season.

Also as stated, he's passed the eye test for me so far this season. These next four games without Khudobin should be fairly telling.

Sens1Canes2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 03:36 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil58 View Post
Meanwhile, we're waiting for ward to "adjust". As it stands in his last 5 games he is 0-2-3. So basically he is 0 for 5 in his last 5 starts.
Fox News, anyone? Based on his last two starts, it's arguable to say that we're no longer waiting.

Old
10-17-2013, 03:38 PM
bluedevil58

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
Fox News, anyone? Based on his last two games, it's arguable to say that we're no longer waiting.
Fox news? 2 of his last 5 games he has let in 5 goals. Yes, in his other losses he has had jack ***** for offensive support. I just want to see Cam play lights out for a few straight games. We'll see who shows up tonight.

Old
10-17-2013, 03:39 PM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
There is the excuses again A pro who makes 6.7m a year need to be ready to show up when it's game time. There is no time for adjustment. Yes, our division ahs not started off well but it will only be a matter of time being Washington, NYR, and possibly NYI and maybe even Columbus start firing on all cylinders. Meanwhile, we're waiting for ward to "adjust". As it stands in his last 5 games he is 0-2-3. So basically he is 0 for 5 in his last 5 starts. People are forgetting how big of a role Gerber played in our cup winning year. That guy lead us to a top seed in the playoffs and home ice advantage.
Apparently you are a guy who only played individual sports growing up, because you seem a little unfamiliar with team play.

Ward needed to allow 1 goal, total, to go 2-0 against the Blackhawks and Kings. 1 goal against two of the absolute best teams in the league.

That like saying Justin Verlander is to blame for the Tigers losing 1-0 to the Red Sox two nights ago. It's absolutely assinine.

Old
10-17-2013, 03:39 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Fox news? 2 of his last 5 games he has let in 5 goals.
Edited from *games* to *starts*.

Old
10-17-2013, 03:40 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Whether you like Ward or not, He's the goalie we have. He'll be carrying the load again off an injury and if he ***** the bed, we can't get rid of him because he's overpaid.

So all this *****ing is for nothing at least until Khudobin comes back. Lets hope Ward builds off the Chicago game.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 03:40 PM
golfpro827

Quote:
100% incorrect.

We were the 2 seed. Ottawa was one but was beaten by Buffalo in round 2, so we had home ice every round.

But yes, Gerber was great that year and people forget about him. He also won a game against Buffalo.

golfpro827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 03:41 PM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Fox news? 2 of his last 5 games he has let in 5 goals. Yes, in his other losses he has had jack ***** for offensive support. I just want to see Cam play lights out for a few straight games. We'll see who shows up tonight.
Uh oh! Someone didn't know Khudobin started the Coyotes game...

Old
10-17-2013, 03:44 PM
bluedevil58

I am done ranting and raving about Ward. Let's just all see who shows up tonight. Will it be the brick wall goalie that we all hope to see or will it be the guy who let's in 2-3 soft goals. 2 hours in change until we find out. I realize this is a team game and Ward can't clear all the pucks. But a lot of those soft goals are from 20 feet out glove side and should be easy saves. Also a lot of those goals are where he gets caught cheating.

Old
10-17-2013, 03:44 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1Canes2 View Post
Uh oh! Someone didn't know Khudobin started the Coyotes game...
I edited that post...he was replying to my statement that Ward had played well in his last 2 games. I meant starts.

Old
10-17-2013, 03:45 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Fox news? 2 of his last 5 games he has let in 5 goals. Yes, in his other losses he has had jack ***** for offensive support.
I don't see how you can put the last three games on Cam. In the Phoenix game, he came in cold. In the other two, he had a .973 and a .944 S% respectively.

If that isn't good enough...what are you reasonably expecting?

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
golfpro827

Quote:
I am done ranting and raving about Ward. Let's just all see who shows up tonight. Will it be the brick wall goalie that we all hope to see or will it be the guy who let's in 2-3 soft goals. 2 hours in change until we find out. I realize this is a team game and Ward can't clear all the pucks. But a lot of those soft goals are from 20 feet out glove side and should be easy saves. Also a lot of those goals are where he gets caught cheating.
You are absolutely correct that he has a weak glove. No doubt about that.

But a lot of those soft goals are because of what happened 3 - 10 seconds before that. I think this what you fail to see. Ward should never be in some situations to allow a soft goal.

Old
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
I edited that post...he was replying to my statement that Ward had played well in his last 2 games. I meant starts.
He wrote "2 of his last five games he's let in 5 goals."

Old
10-17-2013, 03:46 PM
bluedevil58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1Canes2 View Post
He wrote "2 of his last five games he's let in 5 goals."
Yeah I honestly forgot about the K-dub injury when it was all tied up. Slight slip on my part. Oh well.

Old
10-17-2013, 03:47 PM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Take 6 and a half steps. That's 20 feet. That's prime scoring position. NHL shooters will score once in a while from that distance.

Old
10-17-2013, 03:47 PM
golfpro827

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell View Post
I don't see how you can put the last three games on Cam. In the Phoenix game, he came in cold. In the other two, he had a .973 and a .944 S% respectively.

If that isn't good enough...what are you reasonably expecting?
If he isn't 100%, including shutouts, people will get upset.

I've literally seen a 2-0 breakaway from the blueline in PNC and Cam made the first save on the one timer and then the original guy making the pass tapped in the rebound and someone shouted "come on Cam!"

I almost introduced myself to bluedevil58. It was nice to put a face with a screen name, though.

Old
10-17-2013, 03:49 PM
golfpro827

This reminds me of when Marino Rivera blew a save this year with a HR and someone asked him what happened.

He responded "that's a professional hitter, you know."

The guys shooting are professionals too.

Old
10-17-2013, 03:51 PM
bluedevil58

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfpro827 View Post
If he isn't 100%, including shutouts, people will get upset.

I've literally seen a 2-0 breakaway from the blueline in PNC and Cam made the first save on the one timer and then the original guy making the pass tapped in the rebound and someone shouted "come on Cam!"

I almost introduced myself to bluedevil58. It was nice to put a face with a screen name, though.
I don't understand your last sentence. But I am not expecting a shut out every game. What I am hoping for is somewhere around a 2.40ish GAA and a 91-92 save% in 50-60 games from Ward during the regular season. With our current blue line I feel as though those numbers are attainable and reasonable for someone who is paid 6.7M a year.

Old
10-17-2013, 03:52 PM
golfpro827

Quote:
I don't understand your last sentence. But I am not expecting a shut out every game. What I am hoping for is somewhere around a 2.40ish GAA and a 91-92 save% in 50-60 games from Ward during the regular season. With our current blue line I feel as though those numbers are attainable and reasonable for someone who is paid 6.7M a year.
It was a joke implying that the idiot that made that comment was you.

And once again, his contract isn't his fault.

Old
10-17-2013, 03:53 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Too many things in this post are causing me to remember that the actor who played Shooter McGavin was arrested on a DUI in Wilmington yesterday.

Sorry...just had to say that.

Old
10-17-2013, 04:02 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
This reminds me of when Marino Rivera blew a save this year with a HR and someone asked him what happened.

He responded "that's a professional hitter, you know."

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 04:06 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
I like Bowman though. And that's like league minimum.

Chad LaRose becoming a millionaire was much stupider, imho. And I'm not sure how Harrison ended up with a 3 year deal that rounds up to $2 million...
I'm a Bowman defender actually, dude's a pretty effective #13 forward, just getting that in to sarcastically match that post up.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote