HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

NB/PEI midget AAA 2013/2014 season

Old
10-05-2013, 11:30 PM
mitchgoalie31

vCash: 500
Elijah Francis wont be coming, plays for the other team

mitchgoalie31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 06:01 PM
Canada4Gold1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgoalie31 View Post
Elijah Francis wont be coming, plays for the other team
Thanks. I just found the hockeyscene article finally put which one was coming. It is the Hounds not Argos so you're right. These are the teams registered so far for everyone else to see:

http://www.hockeyscene.com/hockeysce...d=23&nid=15178

Canada4Gold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 09:05 AM
la8

[QUOTE=Canada4Gold1;71983697]
Quote:
Originally Posted by la8 View Post

Already mentioned in an earlier post that he was there and that it's highly unlikely that the Rivermen take him back if Campbellton releases him since they have made it clear to players that if you start the year in Jr A you will not play Rivermen if your Jr A team tries to send you there. Have you been to any of the games he's played in? I'm curious to know if he's playing on the 2nd line or not? I can't see him on the first line. If he isn't playing 2nd line wouldn't this be a waste of a year? I know Will Bower and Matt Paul would only stay if they were given top minutes at their positions for Woodstock Jr A. It looks like Bower got top minutes while Paul didn't so he left Woodstock.
I saw most of his games. One the first 3-4 game he was playing on the 3-4th line. Since then, he.s a regular 2-3line but mostly 2nd, he plays a lot with Bernier and he.s on the 2nd unit of PP. It's obvious that he.s pushing himself more every shift that he would.ve done in midget AAA. I don't think campbellton has any reason to even think about sending him down. He's on the list to make the U17, not sure to be on the team but I'm sure that playing with older players will help. He's got 3 points but with a bit of luck he could of have 6-7 easily.

la8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 10:40 AM
Canada4Gold1

[QUOTE=la8;72626557]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada4Gold1 View Post

I saw most of his games. One the first 3-4 game he was playing on the 3-4th line. Since then, he.s a regular 2-3line but mostly 2nd, he plays a lot with Bernier and he.s on the 2nd unit of PP. It's obvious that he.s pushing himself more every shift that he would.ve done in midget AAA. I don't think campbellton has any reason to even think about sending him down. He's on the list to make the U17, not sure to be on the team but I'm sure that playing with older players will help. He's got 3 points but with a bit of luck he could of have 6-7 easily.
I watched the game last Friday and he was playing what you looked to be Campbellton's second line with Gendron and I can't remember who else. Only line that could get anything going for Campbellton was the first line of Savoie-Meredith-Bernier. I found it sad by the other Campbellton players that Theriault had to be the one to fight against a guy bigger than him when the other bigger/older players on Campbellton should have stepped in. The reason why I brought Campbellton sending him down is because the last two years they've sent Mason Gray and Brendan Blanchette down after acquiring some guys around December. Since Miramichi has made it very clear that they aren't taking anyone back and they are 6-0-1 without any of the guys that went Jr A it would be horrible for him to lose the second half of the season not playing.

Old
10-17-2013, 07:58 AM
ns64

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey jockey View Post
Moncton won't dominate like last year,

Hawks
Vito's
Canadiens
Islanders
Rivermen
Wild

IMO
After watching all teams play over the last month I would pick

Moncton - well balanced team
St John - lots of scoring power defence would help
Mirimichi -good goaltending and balance
Charelttetown -hard working not much scoring
Fredericton - not much goaltending or scoring
Kensington - big with not much scoring talent

Things could change its early

Last edited by ns64: 10-17-2013 at 08:06 AM.
ns64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 03:52 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns64 View Post
After watching all teams play over the last month I would pick

Moncton - well balanced team
St John - lots of scoring power defence would help
Mirimichi -good goaltending and balance
Charelttetown -hard working not much scoring
Fredericton - not much goaltending or scoring
Kensington - big with not much scoring talent

Things could change its early
I think your close , this time last year you could tell Moncton was heads above the rest. I am surprised where Mirimichi is are they that good or playing over there heads.The other surprise is Fredericton they can't score in 7 games they have only managed 18 goals.

hockey jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 07:31 AM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
The other surprise is Fredericton they can't score in 7 games they have only managed 18 goals.
They are the most penalized team in the league, tough to score when you are down a man all the time, although they have scored two shorties.

The real surprise in Fredericton is the apparently over rated defense... they have given up 29 goals in 7 games! Fillmore looks like the only one that cares on the back end. They have four 97's who look very average and soft in the few games I have seen.. jmo

NBHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 11:07 AM
Canada4Gold1

Quote:
I think your close , this time last year you could tell Moncton was heads above the rest. I am surprised where Mirimichi is are they that good or playing over there heads.The other surprise is Fredericton they can't score in 7 games they have only managed 18 goals.
The top 3 that he listed all have at least two lines that have been scoring. The bottom three: Only Larter and Arsenault are scoring for Charlottetown (Gallant has disappeared), Daley and Thompkins for the most part are Fredericton's offence, and Kensington doesn't have an offensively talented team. It's hard to win games when you need to rely on 2-3 forwards out of the 12 you have to win you games and neither of these teams have strong goaltending outside of MacCallum of Charlottetown.

The big reason I think that Miramichi is playing the way they are is because they have put a team together that cares about winning. Last year, they had 4-5 players that only cared about how much playing time they got, how good their own stats were and didn't care whether the team won or lost. You can see from the games that they are playing hard each shift and it helps a lot when their goaltending has been stellar each game. They do need to work on their power play a lot though or it could be because they didn't have their top two lines on the PP much but that will need to change (0 for 10 against Kensington could have cost them the game).

Old
11-02-2013, 07:33 AM
Canada4Gold1

Any predictions on this weekend's games against the Nova Scotia teams? Here's the schedule as well:

http://www.nbpeimajormidget.com/site...&Page=Schedule

Old
11-10-2013, 07:28 AM
hockey jockey

Alexander Jacob makes his return with a 5 goal performance. Moncton defeats Wild 11- 2 last night.

hockey jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 10:50 AM
la8

[QUOTE=Canada4Gold1;72629941]
Quote:

I watched the game last Friday and he was playing what you looked to be Campbellton's second line with Gendron and I can't remember who else. Only line that could get anything going for Campbellton was the first line of Savoie-Meredith-Bernier. I found it sad by the other Campbellton players that Theriault had to be the one to fight against a guy bigger than him when the other bigger/older players on Campbellton should have stepped in. The reason why I brought Campbellton sending him down is because the last two years they've sent Mason Gray and Brendan Blanchette down after acquiring some guys around December. Since Miramichi has made it very clear that they aren't taking anyone back and they are 6-0-1 without any of the guys that went Jr A it would be horrible for him to lose the second half of the season not playing.
Campbellton tigers website

Tiger Head Coach and GM, Troy Ryan brought to light an interesting scenario for the Tigers’ young forward, Francis Theriault, who, as it seems, picked a very good game in which to score a pair of goals and help keep the Tigers in the game. For his efforts, Theriault was named the games’ second star. In his post-game comments, Ryan had this to say about the young native of Paquetville, NB. “I thought Francis Theriault (16 years old) played very well in a pressure situation for him. Dieppe’s Assistant Coach Doug Doull is the Head Coach for Team Atlantic for the World U-17 Challenge and they have some final decisions to make this weekend regarding player selection for the upcoming world championships in December. I strongly believe that Theriault showed that he is capable of representing our region at this special event.” Francis is showing every game that he is picking up on what it takes to be successful at the Junior A level. Being a firm believer in Francis’ hockey ability, Ryan urges all tiger fans to wish him well.

Old
12-01-2013, 12:28 AM
Canada4Gold1

[QUOTE=la8;74496771]
Quote:

Campbellton tigers website

Tiger Head Coach and GM, Troy Ryan brought to light an interesting scenario for the Tigers’ young forward, Francis Theriault, who, as it seems, picked a very good game in which to score a pair of goals and help keep the Tigers in the game. For his efforts, Theriault was named the games’ second star. In his post-game comments, Ryan had this to say about the young native of Paquetville, NB. “I thought Francis Theriault (16 years old) played very well in a pressure situation for him. Dieppe’s Assistant Coach Doug Doull is the Head Coach for Team Atlantic for the World U-17 Challenge and they have some final decisions to make this weekend regarding player selection for the upcoming world championships in December. I strongly believe that Theriault showed that he is capable of representing our region at this special event.” Francis is showing every game that he is picking up on what it takes to be successful at the Junior A level. Being a firm believer in Francis’ hockey ability, Ryan urges all tiger fans to wish him well.
Nice to see he made team Atlantic U17. Looks like he will be playing on the Tigers the whole year now since they can't afford to lose anymore players and it's well deserved. Heard Castonguay was told by doctors he couldn't play anymore due to concussions. Gendron is playing high school now (AQV). Meredith was traded for players that are unlikely to ever report to Campbellton in my mind.

Old
12-06-2013, 01:10 AM
la8

[QUOTE=Canada4Gold1;75323635]
Quote:

Nice to see he made team Atlantic U17. Looks like he will be playing on the Tigers the whole year now since they can't afford to lose anymore players and it's well deserved. Heard Castonguay was told by doctors he couldn't play anymore due to concussions. Gendron is playing high school now (AQV). Meredith was traded for players that are unlikely to ever report to Campbellton in my mind.
I think with a decent tournament with Team Atlantic U17, Theriault (5'9'' 162lbs) should get drafted by one of the Q team. Or at least be invited for a try out at a camp. What do you think?

Old
12-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Canada4Gold1

[QUOTE=la8;75633861]
Quote:

I think with a decent tournament with Team Atlantic U17, Theriault (5'9'' 162lbs) should get drafted by one of the Q team. Or at least be invited for a try out at a camp. What do you think?
Debatable. Not many MHL Jr A players are drafted by QMJHL teams. I've heard a lot of people from different QMJHL teams over the years say that they'd rather see the kids they pick or already picked play Midget Major instead of Jr A. Hasn't changed from what I've heard this year about some players that could have went Jr A but stayed in Midget Major.

He could get a try out but it will be extremely hard for him to make it the team in his first year but anything's possible. Not many players make the team from an invite. Only person I can think of right now is Peter Trainor.

Old
12-06-2013, 09:26 AM
Canada4Gold1

Back to the topic on had though.

Since half the league games have been played anyone have any players they think will step up in the second half of the season? Teams that will rise or fall?

Last edited by Canada4Gold1: 12-06-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old
01-11-2014, 01:39 AM
la8

[QUOTE=Canada4Gold1;75641053]
Quote:

Debatable. Not many MHL Jr A players are drafted by QMJHL teams. I've heard a lot of people from different QMJHL teams over the years say that they'd rather see the kids they pick or already picked play Midget Major instead of Jr A. Hasn't changed from what I've heard this year about some players that could have went Jr A but stayed in Midget Major.

He could get a try out but it will be extremely hard for him to make it the team in his first year but anything's possible. Not many players make the team from an invite. Only person I can think of right now is Peter Trainor.
I think the wildcats do have a lot of draft picks for 2014 and they are know to pick local talents. It will be interesting to see if they are welling to take a chance with a Jr A guy with Francis Theriault. I know he played some tournment with Alex Jacob in the past and they seen each other well on the ice so they might make the next local duo for the Wildcats who knows!?

Old
01-11-2014, 06:46 AM
mitchgoalie31

Any info on the ice jam?

Last edited by mitchgoalie31: 01-11-2014 at 04:36 PM.
mitchgoalie31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 11:12 AM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
Back to the topic on had though.

Since half the league games have been played anyone have any players they think will step up in the second half of the season? Teams that will rise or fall?
Read in the Summerside paper today that Fredericton has won 6 of their last 8 games. Could it be they are turning things around over there?

I think right now Saint John has the most to lose, they are the expected #1 team but I see Moncton emerging as the dominant team down the stretch. I give full kudos to Miramichi also, they look to be maintaining the winning ways.

1. Moncton
2. Miramichi
3. Saint John
4. Fredericton
5. Kensington
6. Charlottetown

Old
02-25-2014, 12:16 AM
Canada4Gold1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBHockey View Post
Read in the Summerside paper today that Fredericton has won 6 of their last 8 games. Could it be they are turning things around over there?

I think right now Saint John has the most to lose, they are the expected #1 team but I see Moncton emerging as the dominant team down the stretch. I give full kudos to Miramichi also, they look to be maintaining the winning ways.

1. Moncton
2. Miramichi
3. Saint John
4. Fredericton
5. Kensington
6. Charlottetown
Playoff series are now set, any predictions?

1 Moncton vs 4 Fredericton

2 Saint John vs 3 Miramichi

1 Kensington vs 2 Charlottetown

Old
02-26-2014, 10:18 AM
MajorMapleLeaf

Quote:
Playoff series are now set, any predictions?

1 Moncton vs 4 Fredericton

2 Saint John vs 3 Miramichi

1 Kensington vs 2 Charlottetown
Moncton in 4
Miramichi in 6
Kensington in 5

MajorMapleLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 08:33 PM
Canada4Gold1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorMapleLeaf View Post
Moncton in 4
Miramichi in 6
Kensington in 5
This is my opinion:

I thought Fredericton would at least take one game away from Moncton. They almost had them tonight but they let it slip away. Looks like Moncton will win this one and I'll add that Jacob has been amazing so far.

It will be hard for Miramichi to take this series now. Refereeing has called Miramichi for really weak penalties in this series. 5 on 5 Miramichi has the edge but it's hard for a team to win when they're always in the box. If you don't agree with what I said think to yourself, when was the last time you've seen a goalie get kicked out of a game after he shoots the puck out of his net after being scored on?

Kensington will win this in 4. They are too strong for the Islanders. The Wild play a really physical game and have multiple lines scoring. Islanders only have one line that scores so all Kensington needs to do is shut them down defensively.

I'll predict Moncton vs Saint John in the NB finals with Moncton taking it in 5. There's no way Moncton will be called for the amount of penalties Miramichi is being called for and that's where Saint John's scoring comes from. Also, Saint John's defense is decimated (No Thompson, Shipley, and McGraw) so they are playing with 3 D and 1 Forward at the back.

Old
03-03-2014, 05:33 PM
gumby and pokey

Why is the Fredericton team not producing? They have a few players on their team that are poor skaters. I just dont get it. Others are consistently undisciplined. I've never saw a team win a game from the penalty box. It's playoff time - suck it up and take one on the chin. A young player with a high hockey IQ is a rare commodity these days - especially in Freddy.
As well, I understand that their territory runs to Edmundston (North West Bulls). Should the team be known in future seasons as the North West Canadiens? Genuine question.

gumby and pokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 11:45 AM
Habs1fan

Miramichi - Saint John series - observation : You can have your opinion in regards to whether all the penalties are deserving or not but in regards to Miramichi having the edge - 5 on 5 play, I beg to differ as Saint John had a +33 difference on even strength goals this regular season compared to +23 for Miramichi. Maybe if they can stay out of the box we could find out (Miramichi - 638 penalty minutes reg season compared to 486 for SJ). I know I am quoting regular season stats but this seems to be playing true in the series so far. Also, I believe the goalie was kicked out of the game for the 10 min misconduct for shooting the puck at the referee. Not sure whether he should have been kicked out of the game or not but this is what I observed at the game.

Habs1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 12:53 PM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby and pokey View Post
Why is the Fredericton team not producing? They have a few players on their team that are poor skaters. I just dont get it. Others are consistently undisciplined. I've never saw a team win a game from the penalty box. It's playoff time - suck it up and take one on the chin. A young player with a high hockey IQ is a rare commodity these days - especially in Freddy.
As well, I understand that their territory runs to Edmundston (North West Bulls). Should the team be known in future seasons as the North West Canadiens? Genuine question.
I'm not sure too many people would agree your claim that guys like Tompkins, Daley, Paul, Comeau, Johnston and Hoyt don't have hockey IQ. You are comparing them to teams that have lots of 96's on them. To be honest, Saint John has the most 96's and still couldn't top Moncton, and will likely lose to them in the finals.

Fredericton is a young team, they were also one of the top teams in the league since Christmas. They lost 6-7 in OT Sunday night (I watched the game) and could easily have come out on top, and my sources say the referee was a big factor in the loss in Fredericton on Saturday night.

You start off asking a question and then go on to seemingly answer it on your own. If you are asking why are they not beating Moncton? My answer is they are too young, but they are putting up a good fight, they just aren't evenly matched with a talent deep Flyers squad that will likely win the Atlantics.

From my perspective here in Moncton, they have done a remarkable job the second half with what they had to work with, 100% improved from October.

Old
03-04-2014, 06:24 PM
gumby and pokey

good perspective, thank you.

gumby and pokey is offline   Reply With Quote