HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Can't touch a flame when its RED HOT! Canes @ Calgary 12/5

Old
12-06-2006, 12:59 AM
MrMastodonFarm*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever View Post
Hardly. That game was exactly what the NHL was trying to erradicate. Not a "complete game" for the greater fans in the traditional market. That was New Jersey hockey that Calgary played tonight.

The thing is, i'm not even sour about it. The only people sour about it are the people coming into the thread saying, "OMG LOL! NOT TRAP!", when I could care less. I call it like I see it, a trap is a trap..
Oh right, you're the guy who said the Phaneuf hit on Hamel was dirty. You call it like you see it, facts be damned

MrMastodonFarm* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 01:01 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Oh right, you're the guy who said the Phaneuf hit on Hamel was dirty. You call it like you see it, facts be damned
If you're going to quote me, quote me correctly. I said the Hamel hit was interference. I didn't say it was dirty.

With the way the game was called tonight, it doesn't surprise me that you didn't find that to be interference.

I also find it hilarious that you would remember such a trivial forum banter like that was and find a way to make it relevant two months after the fact.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 01:43 AM
BadNewsBearcat

Hey guys,

Flames fan here that got a chance to attend the game... plus I got Cam Ward's autograph afterwards which is also a bonus (On a side note those Stanley Cup rings are MASSIVE). Been following him since his midget AAA days here in Alberta.

Anyways, the game was alright, guess I'm a little down because I didn't actually get to see Ward play, but hopefully he can shut down Edmonton tomorrow night, so that'll make up for it.

We were lucky to get that quick first goal, kind of put the Canes back on their heels early, but then again, for the rest of the first we were playing extremely defensive.

However, as the rest of the game went on, especially the second, we did not sit back as much. However, with the two goal lead, and 20 minutes remaining, it wasn't surprising to see the Flames keep the shutout. That's how they play. Although, I was surprised to see Kipper get the first star of the night, because other than a couple chances, he wasn't really tested tonight. Our d played extremely well tonight, and I especially liked our combo of Kobasew and Lombardi. However, after seeing Staal first hand tonight, I can see how he made Kobasew a 40 goal scorer in the minors. Also, I was impressed with the play of Babchuk. How has he been playing for you guys this year??

Anyways, it's disappointing that I won't have the chance to see the canes until another 3 or 4 years, but I wish you guys and your team the best of luck the regular season. Hopefully, we see you in the finals.

BadNewsBearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 01:47 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsBearcat View Post
Hey guys,

Flames fan here that got a chance to attend the game... plus I got Cam Ward's autograph afterwards which is also a bonus (On a side note those Stanley Cup rings are MASSIVE). Been following him since his midget AAA days here in Alberta.

Anyways, the game was alright, guess I'm a little down because I didn't actually get to see Ward play, but hopefully he can shut down Edmonton tomorrow night, so that'll make up for it.

We were lucky to get that quick first goal, kind of put the Canes back on their heels early, but then again, for the rest of the first we were playing extremely defensive.

However, as the rest of the game went on, especially the second, we did not sit back as much. However, with the two goal lead, and 20 minutes remaining, it wasn't surprising to see the Flames keep the shutout. That's how they play. Although, I was surprised to see Kipper get the first star of the night, because other than a couple chances, he wasn't really tested tonight. Our d played extremely well tonight, and I especially liked our combo of Kobasew and Lombardi. However, after seeing Staal first hand tonight, I can see how he made Kobasew a 40 goal scorer in the minors. Also, I was impressed with the play of Babchuk. How has he been playing for you guys this year??

Anyways, it's disappointing that I won't have the chance to see the canes until another 3 or 4 years, but I wish you guys and your team the best of luck the regular season. Hopefully, we see you in the finals.
Thanks man, you've got a fantastic coach in Playfair that knows how to get the best out of the talent involved. Jarome Iginla was a going concern all night.

As far as Kobasew goes, give him some time. Those smallish wingers take time to break out. Ask Brian Gionta. Kobasew has skills. They'll show through.

Old
12-06-2006, 04:20 AM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNSI View Post
Actually its not the trap, its called protecting the lead, something that has been in hockey since the beggining. Anyways no harm done its not unsual for the obtuse to start blaming loses on the trap or clutch and grab when in reality you witness your team get schooled in all aspects of the game. The West plays a complete game of hockey most nights, unlike the east which is basically millionaire shinny....sorry us sophisticated fans prefer to see a game with all its greatests assests at the fore front.
i guess us hicks cant keep up with your intellect. sitting back and playing good d while protecting the lead has almost always come in the form of a trap....since the beginning.

i guess ill take our cup winning "millionaire shinny" over your sophiscated asset laden "complete" game. of course, for a lowly american fan as obtuse as i - could more really be expected? i guess i would be a jack a as well if i lived in hockeys "heartland" and the cup stayed in the southeast us two years in a row. ya'll come down and see us some time...if you want to see a cup, that is.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 05:22 AM
OMA

Was at the game tonight as well. I was surprised to actually see a dozen or so Hurricane fans in the house... very respectable fans for sure.

As for the trap vs. no trap... i personally think it's a stupid argument. 30 Teams in the NHL play 29 versions of the trap when they have a lead. Calgary ended up using a 1-2-2 in the third period and decided to clog the neutral zone. It almost seemed like they wanted to conserve some energy in the third (they definitley slept through the first 7 or so minutes of that period..).

I've had a chance to watch a lot of hockey this year... and you guys are going to see a remarkable difference in the type of game played when you're on your western swing. The East is far more open and offensive game.. while the Western teams tend to rely on goaltending and a defensive posture. If you thought tonight was a snoozer wait till you hit Vancouver (who play a very Calgary style game now..) and Edmonton will probably be passive as they are without Smyth and Hemsky.

Also, just wanted to point out that Cole is something else. I remember him being good, but he was a force out there tonight (almost as good as Iginla ). With him and Staal leading the way.... you guys are set for a long time.

Good luck on your western trip.. do us a favor and run over the Oil tomorrow!

OMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 09:51 AM
caniacgirl12

Send a message via AIM to caniacgirl12 Send a message via MSN to caniacgirl12
So....when did "trap" become a dirty word?

Every team has their own style of play, the way playing works for them. For some teams its using their speed...for some teams its using the trap. Its not neccisarily a bad thing, its just incredibly boring to watch.

The 2nd period was quite boring.....Probably the most boring game the Canes have played so far this season. Very 05-05 Wild-ish.

I don't feel we even really challenged Kipper, so he didn't get to show off how fantastic of a goalie he really is. I love how he is constantly moving, he never seems to EVER commit 100% to a save.

Grahame...was okay.

12-06-2006, 09:56 AM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNSI View Post
Actually its not the trap, its called protecting the lead, something that has been in hockey since the beggining. Anyways no harm done its not unsual for the obtuse to start blaming loses on the trap or clutch and grab when in reality you witness your team get schooled in all aspects of the game. The West plays a complete game of hockey most nights, unlike the east which is basically millionaire shinny....sorry us sophisticated fans prefer to see a game with all its greatests assests at the fore front.
CF, my obviously obtuse sore loser... I have some advice for you.

Flames fans are ridiculously sensitive about being called a trapping team. So call it the LW lock and they won't start overreacting.

The word Trap is taboo in calgary. You can get tarred and feathered if you so much as utter it near the Saddledome.

That reminds me... I haven't been to a good tar and feathering in a while.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 01:32 PM
mikey_the_redneck

The West plays a complete game of hockey most nights, unlike the east which is basically millionaire shinny....sorry us sophisticated fans prefer to see a game with all its greatests assets at the fore front.

I am a Flames fan, and i find this statement very true. Whenever i tune into an eastern game, it seems so loosy goosy compared to the tight-checking west. Just look at the top 20 scorers in the league, most of them are from the eastern conference. Dont tell me there is THAT much more talent in the east.
The Flames, for the most part, play an aggressive forecheck/puck pursuit type of game, until you give them a 2-3 goal lead heading into the 3rd period. Then they lock it down and trap it up to protect the lead/shutout. Nothing wrong with that.
But lets not rant that my team is "boring" or "cheating" or "old NHL". The Hurricanes came out of the gate asleep at the wheel and lost fair and square. By the way, Erik Cole is really something, it seemed like him and Iginla were having a power forward showdown tonight.

mikey_the_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 01:50 PM
CioCio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_the_redneck View Post
The Flames, for the most part, play an aggressive forecheck/puck pursuit type of game, until you give them a 2-3 goal lead heading into the 3rd period. Then they lock it down and trap it up to protect the lead/shutout. Nothing wrong with that.
But lets not rant that my team is "boring" or "cheating" or "old NHL". The Hurricanes came out of the gate asleep at the wheel and lost fair and square.
Oh yeah, definitely; we're not trying to lambaste your team. You played a very tight game, and your defense was extremely commendable. Very nice team effort. You deserved the win. We're not trying to take that away from you. It was just very frustrating to watch.

CioCio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 01:57 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CioCio View Post
Oh yeah, definitely; we're not trying to lambaste your team. You played a very tight game, and your defense was extremely commendable. Very nice team effort. You deserved the win. We're not trying to take that away from you. It was just very frustrating to watch.
you almost said "trap" right there... watch out man. That was close.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 01:58 PM
mikey_the_redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CioCio View Post
Its funny, because we Flames fans are used to hearing this trap talk from Oiler fans, but they employed the same style in the playoffs last season, but boy am i glad you guys found a way to beat them!

mikey_the_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 03:34 PM
daikan
sad times

Send a message via MSN to daikan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_the_redneck View Post
Its funny, because we Flames fans are used to hearing this trap talk from Oiler fans, but they employed the same style in the playoffs last season, but boy am i glad you guys found a way to beat them!
In my opinion, and I didn't watch every single playoff game, the Canes used the Lock at times during last years playoffs. Anyways, that's what teams do to win, there's no shame in that.

daikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 03:37 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by daikan View Post
In my opinion, and I didn't watch every single playoff game, the Canes used the Lock at times during last years playoffs. Anyways, that's what teams do to win, there's no shame in that.
Which is exactly why I wasn't knocking the trap, just the lack of obstruction calls that they were making. I called it a good system, but a few Calgary fans took offense to their team being mentioned in the same breath as the trap and jumped down my throat.

Old
12-06-2006, 03:42 PM
daikan
sad times

Send a message via MSN to daikan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever View Post
Which is exactly why I wasn't knocking the trap, just the lack of obstruction calls that they were making. I called it a good system, but a few Calgary fans took offense to their team being mentioned in the same breath as the trap and jumped down my throat.
I'm not disagreeing with you!

daikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 03:45 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by daikan View Post
I'm not disagreeing with you!
Haha, I know. I'm sorry if it came across like I was directing my post at you. I wasn't. I was talking to the Flames fans that are no longer here. You'll have to forgive my poor grasp of sentence structure.

Old
12-06-2006, 11:29 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

Millionaire shinny. I like it.

I always enjoy getting a new term to use from a thread. I may even change my name to it.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote