HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Visiting Fan's Guide to Philadelphia

Old
08-18-2013, 11:18 AM
Kevin Danko
Cheeseburger Picnic

vCash: 420
Note to anyone coming to the city, went to the phillies last night, went into xfinity live for a while, me and my girlfriend come back out and walk over to my truck in K Lot at the Linc, Two drunk guys sitting in my car after breaking in using my antenna. I beat the crap out of one of em and the cops arrived in minutes and caught them both.

But be warned parking after hours is at your own risk and be careful in the parking lots.

Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 12:16 PM
JPGoHabsGo

vCash: 500
really wanna go to the dec 12 game against MTL for my birthday.

Any idea where the away team usually stays at? love to get some autographs.

JPGoHabsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 07:49 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPGoHabsGo View Post
really wanna go to the dec 12 game against MTL for my birthday.

Any idea where the away team usually stays at? love to get some autographs.
Road hotels vary. It can be common for teams to have agreements set up in advance with various hotels and chains. Perhaps contacting one of the local writers can be of assistance. Teams may publish their hotels in the press/media guide distributed to the press/media.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 10:51 AM
BeantownEMT

Hi guys,

My boyfriend and I are in Philly for business and we're catching the preseason game tonight. We're in university city so we'll be traveling via train for the game. Are there any bars near the arena worth going to? This is my first time in Philly so I don't really know anything around.

Sorry I can't read through all of the posts, I'm on my phone and it's really lagging.

Any advice would be great. Thank you.

BeantownEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 11:04 AM
Kevin Danko
Cheeseburger Picnic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownEMT View Post
Hi guys,

My boyfriend and I are in Philly for business and we're catching the preseason game tonight. We're in university city so we'll be traveling via train for the game. Are there any bars near the arena worth going to? This is my first time in Philly so I don't really know anything around.

Sorry I can't read through all of the posts, I'm on my phone and it's really lagging.

Just go to Xfinity Live, They have a bunch of bars, you can hang out before and after the game and you walk right across the parking lot to the arena, and subway stop...

Some of the bars inside xfinity:
  • PBR Bar and Grill which has a mechanical bull and plays country music....
  • The Broadstreet Bullies bar is a pub featuring collectables from the 70s flyer teams
  • NBC Sports Arena is another bar
  • They have a bunch of cool outdoor areas where you can sit and have a beer, play cornhole and other drinking games
  • The Victory Beer Hall is also good if you like craft beer, they have an outdoor area as well.
  • Im not sure if McFaddens would be open at CBP but that's an option kind of like "Cask n Flagon" near Fenway if you've ever been

Inside the arena you can check out the Pavillion which is the largest indoor arena bar or something like that...there's also a PJ Wheelihans bar behind section 107.

...and i just realized i have a drinking problem.

Last edited by Kevin Danko: 09-24-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old
09-24-2013, 11:04 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownEMT View Post
Hi guys,

Until others give answers, start with these: http://xfinitylive.com/ and http://chickiesandpetes.com/

Old
09-24-2013, 11:27 AM
BeantownEMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindank View Post
Just go to Xfinity Live, They have a bunch of bars, you can hang out before and after the game and you walk right across the parking lot to the arena, and subway stop...

Some of the bars inside xfinity:
  • PBR Bar and Grill which has a mechanical bull and plays country music....
  • The Broadstreet Bullies bar is a pub featuring collectables from the 70s flyer teams
  • NBC Sports Arena is another bar
  • They have a bunch of cool outdoor areas where you can sit and have a beer, play cornhole and other drinking games
  • The Victory Beer Hall is also good if you like craft beer, they have an outdoor area as well.
  • Im not sure if McFaddens would be open at CBP but that's an option kind of like "Cask n Flagon" near Fenway if you've ever been

Inside the arena you can check out the Pavillion which is the largest indoor arena bar or something like that...there's also a PJ Wheelihans bar behind section 107.

...and i just realized i have a drinking problem.
Thanks for the help!

BeantownEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 06:22 AM
rickjames

Righty ho; I'm in Philly for a few days and doing the Flyers/Rangers game before getting an 11pm Greyhound to Boston. Is there anywhere I can be able to store my suitcase I'll be taking with me? I can only see me taking it in where I'm sitting to be an absolute nuisance.

Cheers.

rickjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 06:30 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickjames View Post
Righty ho; I'm in Philly for a few days and doing the Flyers/Rangers game before getting an 11pm Greyhound to Boston. Is there anywhere I can be able to store my suitcase I'll be taking with me? I can only see me taking it in where I'm sitting to be an absolute nuisance.

Cheers.
You will be going to the October 24 game and then taking Greyhound afterwards?

Maybe mention something on a site such as TripAdvisor, comparable to this:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...nsylvania.html

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 10-07-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old
10-14-2013, 12:21 PM
orangecrush8

I'v been reading there is a cover charge for Xfinity on some nights of the week - is this just on weekends? Gonna be at the game on Thursday with my gf and we had plans to go to Xfinity after the game. Any insight?

Also, which is the best bar to hang out at after the game? I've only ever seen NBC Sports Arena on the Flyers broadacasts

orangecrush8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 09:43 AM
Kevin Danko
Cheeseburger Picnic

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush8 View Post
I'v been reading there is a cover charge for Xfinity on some nights of the week - is this just on weekends? Gonna be at the game on Thursday with my gf and we had plans to go to Xfinity after the game. Any insight?

Also, which is the best bar to hang out at after the game? I've only ever seen NBC Sports Arena on the Flyers broadacasts
Hey if your going to the game, just bring your ticket stub and show it at the door and you get in for free after any home game (Flyers, Eagles, Sixers, Phillies).

As far as best bar, if its a nice night out, i prefer the outdoor areas, we went up the Phoenix game last week and afterwards just outside at one of the external bars, no lines loud music or assault with axe body spray.

Although when we are in the mood to drink and listen to music we prefer the PBR bar, they have the pbr girls riding the mechanical bull, dancing on tables and good music (mostly country). From that bar you can also get outside to a drinking area.

If your a craft beer guy the Victory Beer Garden is your best bet. Otherwise i have no input into any of the other bars. Just know that at night most of the bars turn on dance music and its more of a club feel (partially why i typically prefer hanging at Victory Beer Garden or outside.

PBR seems to be the most popular whenever im there.

Last edited by Kevin Danko: 10-15-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old
10-15-2013, 10:08 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

^ The Axe reference is amusing.

Old
10-17-2013, 07:52 PM
motorace

i have a question about warms ups, do the ushers/arena let you go down to the glass/get closer to watch warm ups?

motorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2013, 10:11 PM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorace View Post
i have a question about warms ups, do the ushers/arena let you go down to the glass/get closer to watch warm ups?
Yes they do but they will kick you out swiftly once the players leave the ice surface.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 04:41 PM
MJMazzarone
#AnyonebutNYR

Devils fan coming in peace.

It's going to be my first time going to WFC. Going to review the Pearl Jam concert tomorrow for my work.

What are concerts like there? The seating, acoustics and all of that

MJMazzarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 09:19 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMazzarone View Post
Devils fan coming in peace.

It's going to be my first time going to WFC. Going to review the Pearl Jam concert tomorrow for my work.

What are concerts like there? The seating, acoustics and all of that
There are isolated comments on Yelp, in between the sports reviews, including one person who has attended many shows (review dated 2/21/13):

http://www.yelp.com/biz/wells-fargo-center-philadelphia

A CSN reporter appears to be attending tonight, too: https://twitter.com/sbaickerCSN

Old
12-31-2013, 08:20 PM
jml87

So I feel like I should know this since I live nearby but I've got no clue. My mom wants to go to see the mummers parade New Years. Is there a hotel you can view it from. I obviously know you won't be able to get reservations now but for next year I was wondering.

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 08:26 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
So I feel like I should know this since I live nearby but I've got no clue. My mom wants to go to see the mummers parade New Years. Is there a hotel you can view it from. I obviously know you won't be able to get reservations now but for next year I was wondering.
Wouldn't the DoubleTree on Broad be a good spot?

http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hot...LDT/index.html

You can wait for a better answer but start with that.

EDIT: Check this, I did a brief search and these package deals were shown:

http://press.visitphilly.com/release...-holiday-treat

Old
01-01-2014, 02:13 AM
jml87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Wouldn't the DoubleTree on Broad be a good spot?

http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hot...LDT/index.html

You can wait for a better answer but start with that.

EDIT: Check this, I did a brief search and these package deals were shown:

http://press.visitphilly.com/release...-holiday-treat
Thanks for the links. She's been wanting to do this forever, but I keep forgetting about it until it's too late to book reservations.

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 07:28 PM
Rad17

Courtyard Philadelphia South at The Navy Yard

Anyone stay here or hear anything about it. It just opened last week and i'll be coming down and staying there for the Bruins game.

Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 09:00 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad17 View Post
Anyone stay here or hear anything about it. It just opened last week and i'll be coming down and staying there for the Bruins game.
There isn't a review on TripAdvisor either. Here is something from a hotel website but as far as personal experiences, I doubt anyone here has stayed considering the hotel opened earlier this month.

Quote:
Philadelphia, PA - January 7, 2014 - Courtyard by Marriott is rolling out its innovative lobby and room design in Philadelphia, PA. This is the first hotel to open at the Philadelphia Navy Yard and the newest Courtyard in the area featuring the Refreshing Business lobby environment, where guests can enjoy an open and flexible space. Along with media pods, Wi-Fi and a variety of seating zones, the redefined space is ideal for everything from pop-up meetings to social gatherings.

Scheduled to open tomorrow, the 172-room Courtyard Philadelphia South at The Navy Yard also offers a refreshing and stylish room design that helps guests stay connected, productive and comfortable. Thoughtfully planned, each room features plush bedding, a functional work space, spacious bathrooms, a separate seating area and complimentary in-room high-speed Internet.
http://hotelexecutive.com/newswire/4...vOsrW9.twitter

Old
01-12-2014, 11:07 PM
kyuss

Quote:
I know nothing of this new construction, but I've done maintenance work in other Courtyard locations. They are clean and well managed, but they're geared to the business traveler--often groups from the same corp. You can probably expect a really nice room, but don't expect a party vibe unless you're traveling with a crew or someone closes a big deal. Enjoy whatever you encounter.

kyuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 10:53 AM
Rad17

Thanks guys! Coming down for the weekend with a few guys for the Bruins - Flyers game. Looking to check out the Rocky statue and the Liberty Bell also. I'd like to just park at the hotel and rely on cabs and SEPTA.

Anyone else going to that game?

Old
01-13-2014, 09:53 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Thanks guys! Coming down for the weekend with a few guys for the Bruins - Flyers game. Looking to check out the Rocky statue and the Liberty Bell also. I'd like to just park at the hotel and rely on cabs and SEPTA.

Anyone else going to that game?
I suggest to post this question in each team's game-day thread. We usually post it the day prior to the game.

There are suggestions in the first post of this thread for activities, too.

Old
01-15-2014, 10:04 AM
Rad17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
I suggest to post this question in each team's game-day thread. We usually post it the day prior to the game.

There are suggestions in the first post of this thread for activities, too.
Are you kidding me, thats where i got most of my info to plan this trip!!!!!

Thanks, great resource......