HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL III

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2013, 09:33 AM
WartracePred

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
I know we're going to get sick of the praise for Hertl, but Good Lawd!

It was insane, but put the goal in context. The score was something like 7-2 at the end of the game. The kid already had a hat trick and the goalie had checked out mentally. At that point in the game, it might as well have been a skills competition at an allstar game.

I wouldn't expect his production to continue at this pace. Given the publicity of that game, he'll have the attention of every coach in the league.

Old
10-09-2013, 09:36 AM
PFL615

I wouldn't down play him he was taken in top 20 two years ago and was compared to Jagr. He is also 6'2 210.

Old
10-09-2013, 09:43 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
I wouldn't down play him he was taken in top 20 two years ago and was compared to Jagr. He is also 6'2 210.
Lots of top 20 picks flop. I'm not saying he's not going to be great. I just wouldn't expect this production once other teams start accounting for his presence around the net. 2 of his goals were scored because he was either caught behind the play lolligagging or he was cherry picking. Remember some guy named Geoffrion also had a hat trick for the Preds.

Old
10-09-2013, 10:38 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
I know we're going to get sick of the praise for Hertl, but Good Lawd!

I can't believe that worked. It looks cool but it's easy to stop, most of our the goalies and my mens league have seen that shot before. In fact I know one person on this board that has used that exact same shot.

Old
10-09-2013, 11:55 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I can't believe that worked. It looks cool but it's easy to stop, most of our the goalies and my mens league have seen that shot before. In fact I know one person on this board that has used that exact same shot.
I picture Coach Lou in Major League when Willie Mays Hays made that trick basket catch... "nice catch...don't ever $%*%& do that again"

Old
10-09-2013, 12:52 PM
JR303

While it's pretty cool and a seriously entertaining highlight reel goal, lots of teams are going to take that as a slight. I remember waaaaay back in our first or second season, we were getting killed by Pittsburgh and Jagr scored on a similar play. Couple of our guys got bent out of shape, and Trotz really laid into him about it on a postgame interview.

My guess is, next time the Sharks play the Rangers, more than one person will put him on his ass. Might even happen from other teams, too. Showboating can be a big no-no in this league. Ask Radulov.

Old
10-09-2013, 02:02 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I have no idea why grown men find a need to get upset about running the score up in a professional hockey game. I know it isn't as simple as "if you don't like it, stop them from doing it", but this isn't pee wee. I can see allowing a team to run the score up on a weak team in a kids' league being bad for the kids on the weak team and their attitude, but these guys get paid a minimum of what? $550k? To play hockey. Being upset because of a bad loss is fine, and I understand that. Being upset because they kept scoring goals, even in a manner such as that 4th Hertl goal, is just being a sore loser. If I were a Rangers player I would be more concerned with not being embarrassed again than I would be with putting Hertl on his ass because the kid scored a flashy goal in a blow out.

10-09-2013, 03:06 PM
JR303

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I have no idea why grown men find a need to get upset about running the score up in a professional hockey game. I know it isn't as simple as "if you don't like it, stop them from doing it", but this isn't pee wee. I can see allowing a team to run the score up on a weak team in a kids' league being bad for the kids on the weak team and their attitude, but these guys get paid a minimum of what? $550k? To play hockey. Being upset because of a bad loss is fine, and I understand that. Being upset because they kept scoring goals, even in a manner such as that 4th Hertl goal, is just being a sore loser. If I were a Rangers player I would be more concerned with not being embarrassed again than I would be with putting Hertl on his ass because the kid scored a flashy goal in a blow out.
I don't disagree, but there are some long-standing unwritten "rules" about disrespecting your opponet. Some of the older vets especially don't take it very well.

The getting your ass spanked in a game is bad enough, I think it's the insult to injury that draws the ire of some of the guys.

Old
10-09-2013, 04:21 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I don't know. I just see it as adding a new level to being bitter over a loss, and taking it out on the other team. If anything they should take it out on their own team. Some of these guys hide behind these so-called unwritten rules a bit too much.

Old
10-09-2013, 05:56 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Erat with just over 6 minutes of icetime tonight...... He's a good dude, I wish he wasn't going this crap.
as good a dude as Erat is, Adam Oates isnt stupid... Im guessing we dumped Erat right as his skills were headed down the crapper

Old
10-09-2013, 08:13 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

If this was a 5 year vet then I could see him just wristing it on goal. Its just a kid though. It was fun to watch and I find it difficult to rationalize it differently.

Old
10-09-2013, 09:18 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

So Stuart gets 3 games and Downie got zero. I don't understand Shanaban at all.

Old
10-09-2013, 09:57 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
@NHLShanahan The inconsistency of your justifications is astounding. 3 games for Stuart, none for Downie. If you had integrity, you'd quit.
Spin the wheel, it will make all decisions. The cumulative effect of Shanahan's concussions shows in each new ruling.

Old
10-14-2013, 08:14 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Suter playing real soft infront of the net. Feels good man.

Old
10-15-2013, 12:04 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
yeah, i've used this one before as well. this and the old rob schremp "lacrosse goal" were both pretty popular for a while.

Old
10-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Looks like Smithson is trying out for Toronto's AHL squad. Next time I'm at a marlies game I might have to give him some sign love for the game 5 OT goal.

Old
10-16-2013, 06:05 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
biggest surprise of the season so far has to be the Avs... will be interesting to see if they can keep it going... a few years back i remember they came out on fire and were at the top of the league in december and ended up barely squeaking in to the playoffs at #8.

obviously complicates things for us if they keep playing this well....

Old
10-17-2013, 10:03 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

It seems as though Kronwall was carried off of the ice on a stretcher after taking a devastating hit along the boards thrown by Colorado's McLeod.

Old
10-17-2013, 10:18 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
It seems as though Kronwall was carried off of the ice on a stretcher after taking a devastating hit along the boards thrown by Colorado's McLeod.
Being a hit on a Wing, I expect supplemental punishment but using previous explanations from Shannahan, it shouldn't. Kronwall was bent over, spun just before the hit, and had the puck on his stick.

Probably ten games for injuring a Wing with a reputation for borderline hits.

Old
10-17-2013, 10:19 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:

5 & a game for that ****** bag Mcleod ... PPOC is the head ... holy mother of god

Old
10-17-2013, 10:22 PM
NoNecksCurse

don't feel bad for kronwall. he has numerous borderline hits.

Old
10-17-2013, 10:27 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Being a hit on a Wing, I expect supplemental punishment but using previous explanations from Shannahan, it shouldn't. Kronwall was bent over, spun just before the hit, and had the puck on his stick.

Probably ten games for injuring a Wing with a reputation for borderline hits.
I'm kind of with you on this. If we're going to say Josi needs to keep his head up, then are we going to say that Kronwall needs to not try to duck back under a check with a guy steamrolling at him? No problem with a penalty or supplemental discipline here, it was definitely a bad hit, but there is absolutely nothing resembling consistency in the way the league handles this stuff. And it's pretty clear that guys are not going to hold up on their checks, and that the guys getting checked are not going to stop putting themselves in vulnerable situations.

Old
10-17-2013, 10:50 PM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
don't feel bad for kronwall. he has numerous borderline hits.
Agree. No sympathy for the guy. Loves to leave his feet and loves to catch vulnerable players.

Old
10-17-2013, 11:48 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Is this going to be Colorado's modus operandi this year? Take out the other team's key players?

Old
10-17-2013, 11:59 PM
token grinder

looks like McLeod checked him in the head with his jock. I don't feel bad for Kronwall. You can't put yourself in that position, no matter what the rules are.

Closed Thread