HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thu., Oct. 17, 2013|Penguins 4 at Flyers 1

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-17-2013, 11:59 PM
  #151
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swic21 View Post
Have you noticed Girouxs post game interviews have been exactly the same since the beginning of the season. He doesn't seem angry, or motivated. He seems completely and utterly demoralized. He knows things won't change but can't say it cause he's captain. It's sad to see. He cares so much but can't do a damn thing about it.
You gotta wonder if he is one of the players that were mentioned to be not exactly thrilled Berube took over...I would hope not but he does seem very catatonic .....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 12:08 AM
  #152
Swic21
Registered User
 
Swic21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
You gotta wonder if he is one of the players that were mentioned to be not exactly thrilled Berube took over...I would hope not but he does seem very catatonic .....
He just seems to be going through the motions. I was completely against giving him the 'C' and it just further proves my point. Giroux should be focused on playing and nothing else. He shouldn't have to deal with the media and answer the tough questions. I feel for him. He seems uncomfortable answering the tough questions.

Swic21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 12:12 AM
  #153
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 10,383
vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
You gotta wonder if he is one of the players that were mentioned to be not exactly thrilled Berube took over...I would hope not but he does seem very catatonic .....
I can see that. I think most if not all the players really loved Lavy. They had a close personal relationship with him and they loved playing his style of hockey. I think what we are seeing is a bit of a rude awakening for these players.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 12:21 AM
  #154
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,388
vCash: 50
Braydon Coburn is Randy Jones. I dont give a crap what anyone says.
Coburn ****ing blows. the sooner he is traded the better.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 12:51 AM
  #155
OgbertTheNerd
what
 
OgbertTheNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,046
vCash: 500
Well I was excited for this season...

Now I'm getting excited for the draft. Only 74 games left.

In all seriousness though, this teams not entirely awful. They did some good things tonight. Good PK, Mason played well, Crosby wasn't as noticeable (until the end) as he normally is, and besides the breakdowns that lead to the 3 goals () the defense didn't play that bad.

Hopefully this week off is beneficial.

Edit: Also, it seems to be overlooked that the Flyers are missing two top 6 players in Lecavalier and Hartnell.

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 12:52 AM
  #156
captainpaxil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,179
vCash: 500
at this rate we could wind up in killer kapanen territory. draft in philly its the summer for the son of sami

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 01:03 AM
  #157
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,388
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OgbertTheNerd View Post
Well I was excited for this season...

Now I'm getting excited for the draft. Only 74 games left.

In all seriousness though, this teams not entirely awful. They did some good things tonight. Good PK, Mason played well, Crosby wasn't as noticeable (until the end) as he normally is, and besides the breakdowns that lead to the 3 goals () the defense didn't play that bad.

Hopefully this week off is beneficial.

Edit: Also, it seems to be overlooked that the Flyers are missing two top 6 players in Lecavalier and Hartnell.
at times they have played well in stretches of games. But it seems just about every game someone makes a costly mental or physical mistake and it ends up costing them the game.
I really dont want to hear that they are trying. good for them. they are trying. bad teams find ways to lose games they are losing. This is not a good hockey club.
if it wasnt for Tim Thomas they would be 0-8. and would be deserving of it.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 01:05 AM
  #158
kolankosf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 152
vCash: 500
I've been at work, but listening to the games on my blackberry. The one thing that's too common is that we miss the net, and we make every goalie look amazing. I tired of hearing these guys getting pinned in their own zone, and it sounds like they just don't have the motivation to clear it out. The following are just my Opinions, and I'm sure you guys won't agree with some of them:

1) I understand Lavi being kept on into this year. Especially when we collected a bunch of points after the trade deadline. I Remember hoping that they would just tank at the beginning of March as it was a short, painless season... with a stellar draft class. But they decided to go on an end of season tear.

2)Holmgren has done an alright job, as he tried to make moves to get what he felt were bad attitudes out of the dressing room, and tried to bring in a better mix. JVR will forever be a Band-Aid, and decide with his doctor whats best for him, while disregarding the team doctors. Carter for Voracek and Couts is still a good deal. (When Voracek shoots)

3) The "Bonding Trip" To Lake Placid: It's a great American story. I played baseball growing up, so I didn't really know about that story until I started getting into hockey again 10 years ago (Became a Flyers fan the year before Lindros was drafted.... HEXY!) But I asked a bunch of my buddies who played Junior about it and it's meaning to them. The consensus was, great story, but it didn't speak to them. I think that's where Lavi couldn't read his audience. It may have meant something to Couts, Hall and Gill... but it probably didn't mean anything to the 15 Canadians, 2 Swedes, 2 Slovaks etc. other than reminding them of the time the underdog beat them.

It probably would have been more beneficial to spend a week in Vegas, run 2 a day practices, and let them bond with each other in their free time. Then, just see who's hanging out with who... and who is the lone guy hanging out y himself pissing money away at the tables. Hint. That's the guy you probably send to the AHL. Other options could have been: Maple Leaf Gardens (Where Team Canada beat the Russians in the 72 Summit Series), Pacific Coast (Seattle? San Fran?), New Orleans, Miami, Deep Sea fishing in Key West, Alaska (Can't think of much exciting in Canada). There were probably a billion other things more meaningful then to practice 5 on 5 break outs for an entire week in a place that reminds everyone, but four people, of failure.

4) Simmonds belongs on the third line. Period.

Voracek - G - Vinny
Raffl - Schenn - Read
Hartnell - Couts - Simmonds
Rinny - Hall - Talbot/McGinn

Waive Rosehill and Newbury.

5) Trade Mes, Coburn and if we could... Kimmo
Still leaves us Schenn, Streit, Grossman, Gus call up Lauridsen and Alt, keep Gill as a 7th.

6) If you have 2 defensemen with long careers in the NHL saying that a rookie has something special about him, or that he's a natural, you take what they say with a little more than a grain of salt. Alt did get hurt in the pre-season on a cheap hit. But IIRC Alt had a pretty good training camp up to that point and didn't look bad.

7) Why did we send Scott Laughton back to juniors without him playing any regular season games? To dominate in the juniors? Gain that needed offensive confidence? WHAT!?!?! So we can crush it with G, Vinny and Couts as the 1,2 and 3 Centers for the next 5 years? Not sure about you guys, but I got better at baseball and hockey by playing tougher competition. If he played 4c this year, and switched with Couts the next year, I think it would've been better for both guys. Laughtons realistic upside is a 3C is it not?

That's it, I need to stop before my brain blows up! I just hope Hexy is in charge starting tomorrow and we have a trade by the end of Sunday night.

kolankosf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 01:23 AM
  #159
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolankosf View Post
I've been at work, but listening to the games on my blackberry. The one thing that's too common is that we miss the net, and we make every goalie look amazing. I tired of hearing these guys getting pinned in their own zone, and it sounds like they just don't have the motivation to clear it out. The following are just my Opinions, and I'm sure you guys won't agree with some of them:

1) I understand Lavi being kept on into this year. Especially when we collected a bunch of points after the trade deadline. I Remember hoping that they would just tank at the beginning of March as it was a short, painless season... with a stellar draft class. But they decided to go on an end of season tear.

2)Holmgren has done an alright job, as he tried to make moves to get what he felt were bad attitudes out of the dressing room, and tried to bring in a better mix. JVR will forever be a Band-Aid, and decide with his doctor whats best for him, while disregarding the team doctors. Carter for Voracek and Couts is still a good deal. (When Voracek shoots)

3) The "Bonding Trip" To Lake Placid: It's a great American story. I played baseball growing up, so I didn't really know about that story until I started getting into hockey again 10 years ago (Became a Flyers fan the year before Lindros was drafted.... HEXY!) But I asked a bunch of my buddies who played Junior about it and it's meaning to them. The consensus was, great story, but it didn't speak to them. I think that's where Lavi couldn't read his audience. It may have meant something to Couts, Hall and Gill... but it probably didn't mean anything to the 15 Canadians, 2 Swedes, 2 Slovaks etc. other than reminding them of the time the underdog beat them.

It probably would have been more beneficial to spend a week in Vegas, run 2 a day practices, and let them bond with each other in their free time. Then, just see who's hanging out with who... and who is the lone guy hanging out y himself pissing money away at the tables. Hint. That's the guy you probably send to the AHL. Other options could have been: Maple Leaf Gardens (Where Team Canada beat the Russians in the 72 Summit Series), Pacific Coast (Seattle? San Fran?), New Orleans, Miami, Deep Sea fishing in Key West, Alaska (Can't think of much exciting in Canada). There were probably a billion other things more meaningful then to practice 5 on 5 break outs for an entire week in a place that reminds everyone, but four people, of failure.

4) Simmonds belongs on the third line. Period.

Voracek - G - Vinny
Raffl - Schenn - Read
Hartnell - Couts - Simmonds
Rinny - Hall - Talbot/McGinn

Waive Rosehill and Newbury.

5) Trade Mes, Coburn and if we could... Kimmo
Still leaves us Schenn, Streit, Grossman, Gus call up Lauridsen and Alt, keep Gill as a 7th.

6) If you have 2 defensemen with long careers in the NHL saying that a rookie has something special about him, or that he's a natural, you take what they say with a little more than a grain of salt. Alt did get hurt in the pre-season on a cheap hit. But IIRC Alt had a pretty good training camp up to that point and didn't look bad.

7) Why did we send Scott Laughton back to juniors without him playing any regular season games? To dominate in the juniors? Gain that needed offensive confidence? WHAT!?!?! So we can crush it with G, Vinny and Couts as the 1,2 and 3 Centers for the next 5 years? Not sure about you guys, but I got better at baseball and hockey by playing tougher competition. If he played 4c this year, and switched with Couts the next year, I think it would've been better for both guys. Laughtons realistic upside is a 3C is it not?

That's it, I need to stop before my brain blows up! I just hope Hexy is in charge starting tomorrow and we have a trade by the end of Sunday night.
Just to nitpick but he's American just off the technicality that he was born here but he was raised as a Canadian (even lived there more than he did in the US growing up) & identifies himself as one.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 01:27 AM
  #160
kolankosf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 152
vCash: 500
Sorry, just knew he was originally from Phoenix... my mistake!

edit: Sorry, just getting too frustrated with this team. I should have known that. Ugh


Last edited by kolankosf: 10-18-2013 at 01:32 AM. Reason: I suck
kolankosf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 01:32 AM
  #161
mantis toboggan
Registered User
 
mantis toboggan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 600
vCash: 500
It just boggles my mind how we can't score anymore. It's not like they aren't getting chances, they are. But they aren't capitalizing at all, and they're missing wide open nets. It's like they freeze up every time they get a good chance.

mantis toboggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 01:45 AM
  #162
OgbertTheNerd
what
 
OgbertTheNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,046
vCash: 500
Sam Carchidi
‏@BroadStBull
#Flyers have been outscored, 12-2, in third period. They have been down by one goal, tied, or ahead entering the 3d period of all 8 games.
7:56 PM - 17 Oct 13

Pretty telling. What goes wrong in the third? Why can't they play "a full 60 minutes"?

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 02:01 AM
  #163
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,388
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OgbertTheNerd View Post
Sam Carchidi
‏@BroadStBull
#Flyers have been outscored, 12-2, in third period. They have been down by one goal, tied, or ahead entering the 3d period of all 8 games.
7:56 PM - 17 Oct 13

Pretty telling. What goes wrong in the third? Why can't they play "a full 60 minutes"?
they have scored 2 3rd period goals?
doesnt seem like it lirl

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 02:10 AM
  #164
dats81
Registered User
 
dats81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Carinthia
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Coburn and Simmer are on the Jets or Oiler by Saturday is my prediction. I hate Buff, but he is exactly what this team needs, offense
Coburn has a NTC. He won't waive for Winnipeg.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 02:12 AM
  #165
dats81
Registered User
 
dats81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Carinthia
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Braydon Coburn is Randy Jones. I dont give a crap what anyone says.
Coburn ****ing blows. the sooner he is traded the better.
Amen.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 03:09 AM
  #166
BillDineen
Registered User
 
BillDineen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,677
vCash: 500
I would say they are running around like chickens with their heads cut off, but that would imply some semblance of speed. Mason has given them a chance to win and they just don't seem to care.

I agree with others that Mouth Breather aka Cobum needs to go. Timonen has been horrid as well. G, Voracek and Simmonds have been especially bad upfront.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 04:56 AM
  #167
dookie88
Registered User
 
dookie88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
I would say they are running around like chickens with their heads cut off, but that would imply some semblance of speed. Mason has given them a chance to win and they just don't seem to care.

I agree with others that Mouth Breather aka Cobum needs to go. Timonen has been horrid as well. G, Voracek and Simmonds have been especially bad upfront.
Awesome.


I personally don't get the Coburn hate.
All those mistakes he makes, I actually don't see them.

And at that guy wondering about Laughton.
I'm pretty sure having Laughton up here wouldn't change a damn thing.
Burke kept Perry and Getzlaf away from the Ducks one year because he knew they'd have a losing season and he didn't want to have them around a losing enviromnent. From that standpoint, I'm ok Laughton isn't here.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 05:03 AM
  #168
Psuhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I can see that. I think most if not all the players really loved Lavy. They had a close personal relationship with him and they loved playing his style of hockey. I think what we are seeing is a bit of a rude awakening for these players.
Yeah sucks when you are actually expected to play defense now.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 06:13 AM
  #169
RoDu
Shagga likes axes
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,456
vCash: 500
I'd rather Giroux not be the captain, too young, just let him play and do his thing, but I wouldn't strip him of it, he would have to step down on his own

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 06:13 AM
  #170
Wixztor
Registered User
 
Wixztor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
I personally don't get the Coburn hate.
All those mistakes he makes, I actually don't see them.
I might not have the keenest of eyes regarding defensive schemes, but I really do not either. Except from when it's glaringly obvious, which it only is at times. His general timidness bothers me way more.

And other players look worse out there right now, who are filling my discontent quota quite nicely without Coburn participating.

Wixztor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 06:30 AM
  #171
Legion of Goon
.....Flyer Alarm
 
Legion of Goon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lake Titicaca
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,133
vCash: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindank View Post
Id prefer to see him in over Mez definitely if kimmo is out. I dont understand why he didnt get a longer look. He should be ahead of Gil for christ sakes.
.
.
Because the Dane is not ready or very good.

Legion of Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 06:41 AM
  #172
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,412
vCash: 5602
PDO:
Matt Read 911
Braydon Coburn 925
Wayne Simmonds 929
Sean Couturier 939
Claude Giroux 953
Mark Streit 979
Vincent Lecavalier 985

Number of combined goals 5v5: 1

Team 5v5 shooting percentage: 8th in the league

Guess what's not going to continue.


Last edited by GKJ: 10-18-2013 at 06:49 AM.
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 06:49 AM
  #173
Snotbubbles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OgbertTheNerd View Post
Well I was excited for this season...

Now I'm getting excited for the draft. Only 74 games left.

In all seriousness though, this teams not entirely awful. They did some good things tonight. Good PK, Mason played well, Crosby wasn't as noticeable (until the end) as he normally is, and besides the breakdowns that lead to the 3 goals () the defense didn't play that bad.

Hopefully this week off is beneficial.

Edit: Also, it seems to be overlooked that the Flyers are missing two top 6 players in Lecavalier and Hartnell.
Apart from Letang and Neal, the Pens had everyone. Moral victory?

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 07:12 AM
  #174
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,578
vCash: 500
I don't think Homer is to blame for even people that are under 30 years old sucking (or how they are playing in general, since he's not the coach or whatnot), but a statement needs to be made and before any trades are made I think Hextall should be the one to do it.

Coburn was beyond awful. Timonen really looked lost and wouldn't doubt if he hurt before the missed trip call. Couturier looks like he's so afraid to do anything offensively, like he's going to be punished, however, he did make Crosby his ***** defensively. Simmonds, while getting a goal, still couldn't stay on his skates. Am I the only one who noticed that basically every catch of a pass was basically a bobble of the puck? I have never seen a team so shot confidence wise that every pass is handled like a live grenade.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 07:15 AM
  #175
ilovetheflyers8
Registered User
 
ilovetheflyers8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: D.C.
Country: French Guiana Independentist
Posts: 4,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
In the expansion era. 1964-65 Bruins were the most recent team to do it. Then got Bobby Orr not soon thereafter. Party time.
Oh okay, I was thinking that was terrible that they were the first team since 17-18 to let that happen. That being said, being the first team since 64-65 is pretty bad too.


Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 10-18-2013 at 07:20 AM.
ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.