*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Snippit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
Lot of talk after the game about the boarding call. Farwell cried a river about it on the post game show. I think he was wearing his green Mohawk at the time. Its all about excuses blaming the ref like Hunter did after clapping at them with that sour look on his face like he was constipated for two weeks after the game. Most have the Knight's name engraved on the Mem Cup already so they should have come into the Aud and wiped out the 9th place team in the league in the league in the first period should they not? That is what was expected by most.
Do you expect them to win every game? So this is what you're trying to say: The Knights are supposed to be really good so the fact they didn't blow out the 9th place team means you forget about a bad penalty call. Okay.

In any case, a point is all the Knights deserved. Rangers always play us tough, no matter the standings.

Old
10-14-2013, 04:41 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I am usually the first person to rip on Dale for acting like a jerk on the bench. He was justified today.

It should have been a boarding major. Neither ref had their hand up until Marcantuoni took on Anderson. That's when the stripes decided that it was a boarding call and handed out the major. That's complete BS.
OK...so Marcantuoni beelined straight for Anderson gloves off...isn't that instigating?

Old
10-14-2013, 04:44 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
OK...so Marcantuoni beelined straight for Anderson gloves off...isn't that instigating?
It's true, but I think handing out an instigator in that situation (no matter which team) is stupid. I'm glad they didn't.

But then again, McCarron could have gotten a "bullying" call vs Thomson - if we're gonna play that way!

Old
10-14-2013, 04:45 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
It's true, but I think handing out an instigator in that situation (no matter which team) is stupid. I'm glad they didn't.

But then again, McCarron could have gotten a "bullying" call vs Thomson - if we're gonna play that way!
Ya but Anderson got called for his boarding...Thomson didn't

Old
10-14-2013, 04:46 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
Ya but Anderson got called for his boarding...Thomson didn't
That must have been a makeup call for Tierney selling one earlier!

But seriously - that **** has got to stop. When the HELL are these guys going to get it through their heads that, if you see numbers or the player is 3 feet from the boards, don't send the guy flying?

Old
10-14-2013, 04:50 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:

But seriously - that **** has got to stop. When the HELL are these guys going to get it through their heads that, if you see numbers or the player is 3 feet from the boards, don't send the guy flying?
Maybe when it's called with some level of consistency? I'd like to see it like Minor Hockey. CFB and it's a game misconduct..no questions asked.

Old
10-14-2013, 04:50 PM
bobber

Quote:
I am usually the first person to rip on Dale for acting like a jerk on the bench. He was justified today.

It should have been a boarding major. Neither ref had their hand up until Marcantuoni took on Anderson. That's when the stripes decided that it was a boarding call and handed out the major. That's complete BS.

Having said that, there were numerous missed calls and nonsense calls. Thomson should have been called for boarding earlier, but then mysteriously got 2 for "roughing" - i.e. getting punched.

Regardless, Teichmann played really well and I think our rookies got an idea of how much Kitchener fans detest the Knights.

Goliath may win the rest of the head to head games this year, but today David won and it's BEAUTIFUL.
Charlie anyone expecting the refs in this league to call a game perfectly will be waiting a long time. I think none of us expected the Rangers to beat the Knights. I thought we would notice Domi and Horvat more than we did both extremely talented kids but maybe to much turkey who knows? With a young squad we have to expect ups and downs and watch them develop and learn as they go. Love Llewellyn's grit along the boards. Can't wait for the return of Blaisdale who I saw with the team doc today at the back of the Aud. GO Rangers!

Old
10-14-2013, 05:09 PM
CharlieGirl

I don't expect perfection out of the stripes, but if the shoe were on the other foot and Kitchener wasn't getting a boarding call, then well after the infraction, it was decided that it was a major penalty, we'd rightfully be livid and we'd hear a lot of *****ing about London favouritism.

I am so pleased with the play from most of the rookies - Hora looks like a seasoned vet, and Magyar and Soper are so much fun to watch. Everyone played well today, but I thought Bailey had a bit of a rough game.

Considering London scored on one PP (which was the result of a boneheaded move by Thomson) and one massive cherrypick, I'm thrilled with today's result. The Aud was awesome when Faksa scored to tie it up, and fantastic when McEneny scored in OT.

Old
10-14-2013, 07:23 PM
leeaf83

Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
Quote:

Having said that, there were numerous missed calls and nonsense calls. Thomson should have been called for boarding earlier, but then mysteriously got 2 for "roughing" - i.e. getting punched.

Regardless, Teichmann played really well and I think our rookies got an idea of how much Kitchener fans detest the Knights.

Goliath may win the rest of the head to head games this year, but today David won and it's BEAUTIFUL.
CG I'm going to have respectfully disagree with you.

There's no basis for Hunter's embarassing behaviour today. Whether he agrees with it or not, he should be ashamed of himself especially given the lack of class for a memorial cup host.

Linesmen can report 5 minute majors, I was fine with the call. That being said I actually thought the hit in question was not as bad as the Thompson hit just before. Thompson did take a swing right after and deserved the minor but his hit was harder than the shove which drew 5.

You're right on Tieschmann though, he was quite a bit better than friday night, he was more stable in his goal crease holding his position and did far more challenging shooters.

Old
10-14-2013, 08:49 PM
aresknights

What does memorial cup host have to do with anything? Are they ( memorial cup coaches) held to a higher standard during a road game in Oct than any other coach in the league? If its embarrassing for a memorial cup host coach, it's embarrassing for any coach, if that's ur opinion.

Good job Ktown. Knights couldn't get it done. Whether I agree with how the end of the game ( or different events during the game ) were called or not, the Rangers did enough to win, London didn't.
The calls even out over time and shouldn't be used as excuses. Take care of what you can control and it all works out.

Next game should be fun ( and a knights W lol)

Old
10-14-2013, 10:07 PM
bobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaf83 View Post
CG I'm going to have respectfully disagree with you.

There's no basis for Hunter's embarassing behaviour today. Whether he agrees with it or not, he should be ashamed of himself especially given the lack of class for a memorial cup host.

Linesmen can report 5 minute majors, I was fine with the call. That being said I actually thought the hit in question was not as bad as the Thompson hit just before. Thompson did take a swing right after and deserved the minor but his hit was harder than the shove which drew 5.

You're right on Tieschmann though, he was quite a bit better than friday night, he was more stable in his goal crease holding his position and did far more challenging shooters.
Leeaf good point on the lineman call issue. I thought the call was a good call especially after seeing the replay on CTV highlites. Gilbert has a sore back and it could have been worse. Thomson did get away with a dirty hit also.

Old
10-15-2013, 11:25 AM
BenchedGuy

Just throwing my two cents in after the party has already started. For those saying the refs are justified on Monday, and it all evens out in the end are incorrect. Why do we have a league where we are developing players for the pros and the referee's are not up to the same calibre? Why does the OHL not have better development programs for referee's? I have seen better referee's in rep league hockey to be honest. Thomson should have gotten a boarding call on his hit on Centorame. With that, the Gilbert/Anderson play probably doesnt happen.

With all that though, with London being a top 10 CHL team, they should be able to overcome adversity more times then not. Monday wasnt their day and that works for me.

Old
10-15-2013, 02:28 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
Just throwing my two cents in after the party has already started. For those saying the refs are justified on Monday, and it all evens out in the end are incorrect. Why do we have a league where we are developing players for the pros and the referee's are not up to the same calibre? Why does the OHL not have better development programs for referee's? I have seen better referee's in rep league hockey to be honest. Thomson should have gotten a boarding call on his hit on Centorame. With that, the Gilbert/Anderson play probably doesnt happen.

With all that though, with London being a top 10 CHL team, they should be able to overcome adversity more times then not. Monday wasnt their day and that works for me.
Perhaps a solution to the officiating issue is that the OHL needs to expand their scholarship program to help pay ex-OHL players to pursue their 'pro dreams' but on the officiating side. I'm not sure what's all involved but there needs to be a way the OHL can entice players into this endevour. The players will have the skating ability and a great feel for the game compared some of these street-hockey players.
As for the game yesterday....well, the Rangers lost and won games by crap officiating. I just hope at the end of the year that this extra point the Rangers got will place them one point ahead of the Mighty Tighty Knighties !!

Old
10-16-2013, 12:05 AM
EvenSteven

My two cents worth after watching the replys:

-I think Thomson should have gotten a double minor for the hit on Centorame, and 2 min for the one punch he threw at McCarron. Thomson didn't take off the gloves.

- McCarron should have gotten 2, 5, and 10 for jumping Thomson. He had gloves off and was wailing away at Thomson after throwing him to the ice. Thomson didn't drop his gloves, and wasn't interested in fighting. He only threw the one punch mentioned above after he got up from under McCarron at the end. This was pretty much the same thing that happened last year when Thomson was jumped by Windsor's one shift a game thug John Bowen. Bowen got 2, 5, and 10 and Thomson nothing.

- The Anderson / Gilbert hit wasn't a lot different than the Thomson / Centorame hit. Therefore, I'd have given Anderson a double minor for the hit, and 5 for fighting. Since MM obviously went after Anderson, he should have gotten 2, 5, and 10.

Linesmen are allowed to call majors afer the fact. I believe that's what happened here. It's one thing to miss the Thomson boarding call and to give Anderson a major for a similar play, but it's a whole other thing to neglect to give McCarron and MM their deserved instigator calls.

The thing Dale Hunter should really be pissed off about is MM getting away with no instigator call.

Last edited by EvenSteven: 10-16-2013 at 12:11 AM.
Old
10-16-2013, 06:41 AM
bobber

I think if Hunter should have been pissed that MM got away with an instigator the same could be said for Smith. Anderson instigated the fight with Thomson for his hit on a London player and it was an even call. Lets face it. The refs and linesman are never going to call a game that pleases any fan.

Old
10-16-2013, 02:58 PM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

vCash: 200
Kitchener moves Eric Ming to Niagara for a 4th in 2015 and a 9th in 2014. Guess that clears up the OA situation.

Old
10-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieottersnews View Post
Kitchener moves Eric Ming to Niagara for a 4th in 2015 and a 9th in 2014. Guess that clears up the OA situation.
Wow...nice trade from Kitcheners point of view. Plus the small ice in Niagara will definitely help hide Mings skating!
I would imagine Teskey has another 12 games+/- to start to produce or else he'll be elsewhere.

Last edited by Ward Cornell: 10-16-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old
10-16-2013, 04:51 PM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Wow...nice trade from Kitcheners point of view. Plus the small ice in Niagara will definitely help hide Mings skating!
I would imagine Teskey has another 12 games+/- to start to produce or else he'll be elsewhere.
12 games??!?? No offense but I hope for the - if this is what he has to offer.

Old
10-16-2013, 04:55 PM
CharlieGirl

It's a nice return,and Ming deserves to play, not sit in the pressbox.

Having said that, Thomson better smarten up and start being an OA worth a spot, because he hasn't done a damn thing to impress since he got back.

Also, Teskey needs to be gone. This team does not need a floater taking up ice time that could be given to a young player, who could really benefit from it. Learn would be my first choice to call up.

Old
10-16-2013, 05:12 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:

Also, Teskey needs to be gone. This team does not need a floater taking up ice time that could be given to a young player, who could really benefit from it. Learn would be my first choice to call up.
The only reason I think Teskey has some rope left is he did put up some outrageous numbers with the Toronto Jr Canadiens which made him a OHL first round pick. If he can 'somehow' rediscover his hands and desire, Hiebert could get something higher than the 10th round pick they gave up for him......if Ming brought that return (4th and 9th), imagine what a 2 yr younger player that can score can get?
Agree on Learn being up with the Rangers (and Blasby) and I think after the trade deadline that both will be!

At the price that Ming brought back, I'm soooo glad the Rangers are sellers this year and not buyers!

Old
10-16-2013, 09:01 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
It's a nice return,and Ming deserves to play, not sit in the pressbox.

Having said that, Thomson better smarten up and start being an OA worth a spot, because he hasn't done a damn thing to impress since he got back.

I agree on the return for Ming and also on the fact he deserves to play.

Thomson is playing pretty much as he did last year. No better, no worse. IMO, the best he's ever played as a Ranger was when he and Randell were playing together. I had hoped Thomson would have become another Randell by this time. Not so far.

I'd have cut Teskey before opening night. I understand seeing if he can regain his scoring touch because of his big numbers at Tier 2. But at this point, he is what he is: an average Tier 2 player at best who's stats were ballooned as a result of playing with elite players. Former Major, Ranger, and 67 Adam Zamec scored 50 goals before coming to the OHL and the same thing happened with him. It happens from time to time. As far as I can tell, this guy is Steve Locke all over again.

Ward Cornell, I agree on Learn. But I think he should be on this team whether Teskey is here or not. I have him ahead of Soper as well as Teskey. Sure Soper has great work ethic, blocks shots, etc. But the fact of the matter is that Learn is a year younger (we're rebuilding), he is a better skater, and he brings a huge edge to his game. (something this team lacks big time). I guess the feel good story of the "hometown kid makes the team as a free agent invite" takes priority.

Do I think Soper can play on this team? Yes. I like him as a player. But not ahead of Learn.

Old
10-16-2013, 10:01 PM
bobber

I think it's time to bring in the young draft picks also. I don't think Tesky played Teir 2. Came right out off the Jr. Canadians to the OHL. Has been a bust IMO. Soper seems to be able to skate in this league. He gets his nose into the play and hits but the lack of production has to be a concern. I believe he is an 18 year old and you have to wonder how much time they give him. If Sterk went a few games without a point he sat. Same should happen with Tesky and Soper.

Old
10-17-2013, 09:05 PM
bobber

Murphy scored tonight and Skinner assisted. Beat the Leafs. I remember people saying Murphy would never play in the NHL. Hope he does well.

Old
10-17-2013, 10:15 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Murphy scored tonight and Skinner assisted. Beat the Leafs. I remember people saying Murphy would never play in the NHL. Hope he does well.
Leivo scored his first NHL goal tonight too. Quite the evening for Rangers grads!

Old
10-18-2013, 10:55 AM
ORYX

Quote:
I think it's time to bring in the young draft picks also. I don't think Tesky played Teir 2. Came right out off the Jr. Canadians to the OHL. Has been a bust IMO. Soper seems to be able to skate in this league. He gets his nose into the play and hits but the lack of production has to be a concern. I believe he is an 18 year old and you have to wonder how much time they give him. If Sterk went a few games without a point he sat. Same should happen with Tesky and Soper.
Sterk sat under a different coach, one which the majority of Rangers fans were happy to see move on.

You don't develop young players by punishing them for making mistakes or a lack of production. You instil confidence in them by playing them, giving them an opportunity. Obviously that has its limitations.

IMO, Soper is not going to amount to anything more then 4th line duty in the OHL, and I've seen NOTHING from Tesky aside from his draft position to suggest otherwise either.

IMO, it wouldnt be fair to either to sit them because they arent producing. Soper isnt up to the speed and skill of the OHL, at least not yet, and Tesky has been a let down since coming into the OHL.

I agree that Blasby and Learn are the obvious choice to be brought up in tesky and Soper's absense (personally I feel both should be in the line-up ahead of tesky and soper as it is, but i dont run the club).

Can't forget about Kohn as well. He sat last game as a healthy scratch.

What I believe is happening atm, is Heibert is getting Learn and Blasby ALOT of minutes in Jr.B because he feels it'll bring them along better then 6-7 in the OHL, while players that are a bit older (Soper, Tesky), who are likely not in the long-term plans of the Rangers are the ones on the roster now playing the 6-7 minutes because if they dont develop, its an "Ohwell, they didnt project onto our roster moving forward anyways, and what we need is more mature players on our bottom 6".

Players like these come and go every year.

Closed Thread