HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brunet on Aebischer, Niinimaa, Samsonov and Souray...

Old
12-06-2006, 07:00 PM
Coco Fever

vCash: 500
Brunet on Aebischer, Niinimaa, Samsonov and Souray...

Okay, this is the first thread I ever start...

Anyone else read what Mathias Brunet wrote this morning in La Presse regarding our UFAs? He basically said that Aebischer, Samsonov and Niinima had no trade value (no surprise there).

But the most interesting part (IMO) is when he said that Souray was NOT on the market. Hoepfully this will reduce the "to trade or not to trade" threads on Souray...

Coco Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 08:02 PM
westcoast habsfan

Oh I seriously doubt that. Souray trade rumours have become a staple on HF.

westcoast habsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 08:19 AM
Markimark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco Fever View Post
Okay, this is the first thread I ever start...

Anyone else read what Mathias Brunet wrote this morning in La Presse regarding our UFAs? He basically said that Aebischer, Samsonov and Niinima had no trade value (no surprise there).

But the most interesting part (IMO) is when he said that Souray was NOT on the market. Hoepfully this will reduce the "to trade or not to trade" threads on Souray...
Thanks but do you really think Mathias Brunet from La Presse actually knows any inside information.

Markimark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 08:29 AM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markimark View Post
Thanks but do you really think Mathias Brunet from La Presse actually knows any inside information.
Whether he actually has inside information or not is questionable, but he has proven himself to be one of the better sports journalists in this city.

Slew Foots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 09:02 AM
Habs Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG87 View Post
Whether he actually has inside information or not is questionable, but he has proven himself to be one of the better sports journalists in this city.
Souray, once again, cost us the game last night.

Habs Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 09:31 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Man View Post
I have to agree. I think that if Gainey gets the offer he wants, he will trade Souray for sure. He's far from being untouchable.

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 09:35 AM
baldrick

Quote:
IMO lack of offence, once again cost, us a game. The inability to score, trying to sit on a one goal lead and outshot (by NJ!) by a third. This game was up for grabs and the team that wanted it, won it.

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 09:41 AM
roy munson

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
IMO lack of offence, once again cost, us a game. The inability to score, trying to sit on a one goal lead and outshot (by NJ!) by a third. This game was up for grabs and the team that wanted it, won it.
Sorry but he did! He was doing an awful job on the Devils' 1st goal and got send to the box at the end of the OT... which resulted in a lost, so...

roy munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 09:42 AM
Since86

No offense to Mr. Brunet but I think he's full of crap...

Granted, Niinimaa doesn't have much trade value right now, having played himself into the eighth spot on the Habs defensive depth chart. Hopefully he'll see more ice time soon and his stock will rise (he played well last night in Markov's place). He was once a top-2 defenseman in this league and I'm sure Gainey isn't the only GM who is willing to take a chance on him regaining his form.

Aebischer, on the other hand, played a helluva game last night and, although he has struggled through a bit of a slump lately, he had a great start to the season and is still capable of being a #1 goalie in the NHL. Teams are always looking for starting goalies so he will always have reasonable value.

As for Samsonov, let's not forget that he helped the Edmonton Oilers come within one game of winning the Stanley Cup last year. He is a proven veteran and playoff performer and, although he hasn't hit his stride yet in Montreal, there was a bidding was for his services in the off-season and his abilities are undeniable.

That being said, regardless of trade value, I think Niinimaa is the only one who is at risk of being moved. I would love to see him get some powerplay time and gain some confidence, and I'm glad we had him around when Bouillon and Dandenault were hurt. I also think he would be a cheap replacement for Souray should we lose Souray to free agency so maybe Niinimaa won't be going anywhere after all.

Trading Samsonov would be a mistake. Montreal already seems to have a hard enough time attracting free agents so giving up on Samsonov and shipping him away after less then three months would send a terrible message to future free agents and hurt the club's credibility.

Aebischer, is an excellent #1A goalie for the Habs and makes a fantastic tandem with Huet (one of the best in the league). I don't think anyone in the farm system is ready to assume back-up duties in the NHL and it sure is nice having two capable goalies you can count on.

Since86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 09:46 AM
Drive425

Quote:
I wouldn't go as far as saying Souray cost us the game. Last time I checked Hockey is a team sport. If you really want to point fingers over the past 2 losses I personally think it should be pointed at Cube. His puck handling skills and bad decisions(cross ice flip pass resulting in a goal to name one) have cost us more in the past 2 games then Souray. Cube =

Souray =

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 09:57 AM
Coco Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since86 View Post

Granted, Niinimaa doesn't have much trade value right now, having played himself into the eighth spot on the Habs defensive depth chart. Hopefully he'll see more ice time soon and his stock will rise (he played well last night in Markov's place). He was once a top-2 defenseman in this league and I'm sure Gainey isn't the only GM who is willing to take a chance on him regaining his form.

Aebischer, on the other hand, played a helluva game last night and, although he has struggled through a bit of a slump lately, he had a great start to the season and is still capable of being a #1 goalie in the NHL. Teams are always looking for starting goalies so he will always have reasonable value.

As for Samsonov, let's not forget that he helped the Edmonton Oilers come within one game of winning the Stanley Cup last year. He is a proven veteran and playoff performer and, although he hasn't hit his stride yet in Montreal, there was a bidding was for his services in the off-season and his abilities are undeniable.

That being said, regardless of trade value, I think Niinimaa is the only one who is at risk of being moved. I would love to see him get some powerplay time and gain some confidence, and I'm glad we had him around when Bouillon and Dandenault were hurt. I also think he would be a cheap replacement for Souray should we lose Souray to free agency so maybe Niinimaa won't be going anywhere after all.

Trading Samsonov would be a mistake. Montreal already seems to have a hard enough time attracting free agents so giving up on Samsonov and shipping him away after less then three months would send a terrible message to future free agents and hurt the club's credibility.

Aebischer, is an excellent #1A goalie for the Habs and makes a fantastic tandem with Huet (one of the best in the league). I don't think anyone in the farm system is ready to assume back-up duties in the NHL and it sure is nice having two capable goalies you can count on.

Aebischer; scouts that spoke to Brunet said that there are other goalies like him available. Not a top #1 goalie, but a good goalie.

Samsonov; scouts said he would be more attractive if he was UFA next year. Teams will not want to take his $3.5 millions salary for next year.

Niinimaa; surprinsingly, the scouts said he probably has more value than Samsonov and Aebischer. The fact is; defensemen are often injured and a veteran like him has some value. Plus, he's UFA at the end of the season so you don't have to pay him next year.

I'm not saying that, it's basically what was written in the article.

Coco Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
I wouldn't go as far as saying Souray cost us the game. Last time I checked Hockey is a team sport. If you really want to point fingers over the past 2 losses I personally think it should be pointed at Cube. His puck handling skills and bad decisions(cross ice flip pass resulting in a goal to name one) have cost us more in the past 2 games then Souray. Cube =

Souray =
No kidding, Bouillon has been awful since his return...it's not a couple of checks of opposing players in the boards which will fool me, he's been absolutely dreadful since he came back, hopefully he can find his game, and fast...cause Streit is breathing down his neck

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 10:03 AM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markimark View Post
Well, he isn't starting rumors for fun, so yes, I trust him. And anyway it makes sense: Montreal isn't out of the playoffs.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 10:12 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco Fever View Post
Aebischer; scouts that spoke to Brunet said that there are other goalies like him available. Not a top #1 goalie, but a good goalie.

Samsonov; scouts said he would be more attractive if he was UFA next year. Teams will not want to take his $3.5 millions salary for next year.

Niinimaa; surprinsingly, the scouts said he probably has more value than Samsonov and Aebischer. The fact is; defensemen are often injured and a veteran like him has some value. Plus, he's UFA at the end of the season so you don't have to pay him next year.

I'm not saying that, it's basically what was written in the article.
Makes sense, unless Souray is a perfect fit somewhere that has a lot of cap space and is a player away (cough, cough...San Jose). Then they can ponder resigning him and might give up something a bit more or want to change in a McLaren for more offense. I dunno...

I think we should keep Souray and pick up an Adam Foote to play alongside him.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 10:21 AM
PeteLaframboise

Quote:

I think your full of it, he stated that he spoke to couple of pro scouts, so he knows what he's talkin 'bout. Give me a break with that Sammy's a great playoff performance non-sense, go ask the Oilers fan if they tought he was good in their run last year, he was a no-show for the finals anyway.

PeteLaframboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 10:23 AM
PeteLaframboise

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
I think we should keep Souray and pick up an Adam Foote to play alongside him.

And how exactly do we make room for his 5 mil. a year salary

PeteLaframboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 10:28 AM
Papa_Bear_21

Quote:
Actually, I would have to disagree completely.
That Gomez play (which started from behind the New Jersey net) was the same play they used to score at least one and maybe a couple of goals against us last year.
If you watched the whole game, you would have noticed that the Devils tried to run it on many occasions but the Canadiens (and its due to coaching) always had someone pressure Gomez to give up the puck.

BUT on the play that lead to the goal, Pleckanec (who for some reason, forgets how to play defense when he's with Kovy and Sammy) not only went the wrong way, allowing Gomez to rush up the ice, but did not cover the slot, which is where the puck ended up.

(By the way, you should never rely on the in game analysis of Houde and Pedneault - who blamed it on Sourray - because as entertaining as they are, they are not great hockey guys)

On the second goal, both Koivu and Sourray got caught deep in the zone (I believe its Koivu that turned the puck over) but Koivu did not backcheck at all. Even Carbonneau said that he had no problem with Sourray taking the penalty, because he prevented a prime scoring opportunity.
With 9 seconds left, there is no way Bouillon should have let Elias get the shot past him. He was AWFUL all night.

Papa_Bear_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 10:43 AM
baldrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy munson View Post
Sorry but he did! He was doing an awful job on the Devils' 1st goal and got send to the box at the end of the OT... which resulted in a lost, so...
So games are won or lost on a single play? If true you could blame a missed shot or a save by the opposing goalie or the failure of Kovalev/Samsonov line to get one goal.

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 11:09 AM
Markimark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post

Souray =
Come on guys. Your making this into a blame game. You can pick apart anybody. Niinama, who everyone thought finally played a good game, banked the puck off the boards and it deflected straight out in front of our net to the opposing player....no ones perfect.
We need a goal scorer! Ryder seemed to be that last year. Like Souray, every time he touched the puck it went in the net but this year he's struggling which is exactly why Souray makes me nervous...he's either hot or cold.

Old
12-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Markimark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Bear_21 View Post
That Gomez play (which started from behind the New Jersey net) was the same play they used to score at least one and maybe a couple of goals against us last year.
If you watched the whole game, you would have noticed that the Devils tried to run it on many occasions but the Canadiens (and its due to coaching) always had someone pressure Gomez to give up the puck.

BUT on the play that lead to the goal, Pleckanec (who for some reason, forgets how to play defense when he's with Kovy and Sammy) not only went the wrong way, allowing Gomez to rush up the ice, but did not cover the slot, which is where the puck ended up.

(By the way, you should never rely on the in game analysis of Houde and Pedneault - who blamed it on Sourray - because as entertaining as they are, they are not great hockey guys)

On the second goal, both Koivu and Sourray got caught deep in the zone (I believe its Koivu that turned the puck over) but Koivu did not backcheck at all. Even Carbonneau said that he had no problem with Sourray taking the penalty, because he prevented a prime scoring opportunity.
With 9 seconds left, there is no way Bouillon should have let Elias get the shot past him. He was AWFUL all night.
Houde and Pedneault like to blame the English guys....lol...but Boullion did what he could and that was to try and block the shot...**** happens in the real world.

Old
12-07-2006, 11:42 AM
Teufelsdreck

I consider Mathias Brunet to be one of the most reliable Montréal hockey writers. He isn't hotheaded and he doesn't have an axe to grind.

There seems to be a vendetta against Souray on the part of some fans on this board as well as on RDS. There is also a supertolerance for Francis Bouillon. The Cube does the best he can, and I admire him for it, but it's important to recognize that he has his limitations.

I would characterize Carbonneau's game plan against NJ as giving Aebischer maximum protection and covering the Devils man-to-man. They almost succeeded, and they carried a 1-0 lead well into the 3rd period. As for the finger pointing so common on this board, I think Samsonov made some good plays in the offensive zone last night. I could say the same about Ryder. Even Niinamaa played well when paired with Komisarek. And of course, the Bonk line was excellent.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Bear_21 View Post

Great post...you know what, I remember from last year after that goal that they did the same thing to the Habs 2 or 3 times last year, and they tried it again this year..

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 12:23 PM
roy munson

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
So games are won or lost on a single play? If true you could blame a missed shot or a save by the opposing goalie or the failure of Kovalev/Samsonov line to get one goal.
Fair enough... I should've said that Souray's mistakes (defense and penalty) made him directly involved with these goals (like the other four habs on the ice at that time). What I mean is that he seems to be involved a lot... What is he now -10, -9 ? Not the worst of the team, but amongst them. I see what you mean, but games CAN be lost or won on a single play. Especially one like last night.

But I agree that if Kovy and Sammy (and Ryder, etc, ...) didn't miss so much chances (or finished their play) we probably wouldn't be talking about Souray today (except where trades are concerned...)

Last edited by roy munson: 12-07-2006 at 12:27 PM. Reason: brain cramp...
roy munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 12:30 PM
El Wama

Quote:
Which MTL journalist is not full of crap is Matthias Brunet is one?

Seriously.. beside Francois Gagnon, and it's my opinion and I respect yours, Brunet is one of the best.

El Wama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 12:32 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy munson View Post
Fair enough... I should've said that Souray's mistakes (defense and penalty) made him directly involved with these goals (like the other four habs on the ice at that time). What I mean is that he seems to be involved a lot... What is he now -10, -9 ? Not the worst of the team, but amongst them. I see what you mean, but games CAN be lost or won on a single play. Especially one like last night.

But I agree that if Kovy and Sammy (and Ryder, etc, ...) didn't miss so much chances (or finished their play) we probably wouldn't be talking about Souray today (except where trades are concerned...)
I don't see it like that. In ot, you're trying to win a point, you don't lose one. Souray tried to make an offensive play and had to hook on the way back. It was a calculated gamble. They win the faceoff or block the shot, it's a shootout, where with Brodeur, I'd think NJ would be the favorite. I have no problem with him taking a shot at making an offensive play. Most ot goals,4 on 4 are usually when a d can't get back, or make a change, Souray has his flaws, but I have no problem with him last night.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote