HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We Need Help Mr. Gainey

Old
12-01-2006, 07:14 PM
Tatay Farlo

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Tatay Farlo Send a message via MSN to Tatay Farlo Send a message via Yahoo to Tatay Farlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
Subtract his PP and SH goals from the team's total GF, it ain't pretty.
Exactly one of my key points.

Tatay Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 07:54 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
I don't see any immediate fix that could catapult the Habs into first place this season. However, I do see an improved team, and I think the return of Chris Higgins could firm things up for Koivu and Ryder. Latendresse is doing better than I expected on the first line, but he's no Higgins.

My leading question is whether the team could do without Aebischer as the backup goaltender. He's having a bad run, not as horrendous as the last days of Théodore, but definitely poorer than mediocre. Meanwhile, Huet is showing that last season was no fluke. If Aebischer plays more than 30 games, Carbonneau may live to regret it.
Nice post. I don't know whether he's just not a good goalie who'll cost the Habs games this year or whether he's just going through a rough spot and will bounce back and be a saviour if Huet struggles or gets injured. The tantrum throwing fan in me thinks the former; the long view, "things are getting better bit by bit" fan in me thinks the latter. All things considered, I think we just have to shrug off the bad games and look forward to him stealing some games like he did at times last year and early this season.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 12:26 AM
westcoast habsfan

Habs have been seriously inconsistent this year not only from game-to-game but sometimes from period-to-period. I agree that they are small and they are soft. They get seriously pushed around whenever we play Toronto, who have a decent size team, and we couldn't do anything about Carolina's drives to the net in our last game. Either our defenceman are not mobile enough to stand anyone up (Souray, Rivet), or they are too small to do it. Komisarek is the only one who can consistently confront people, which is why he now such an important part of the Habs blueline. While Markov is generally smart enough positionally that he can angle people off to the boards or corners.

Offence wise, I'm definitely disappointed. I thought Sammy would get 30 goals, 45 assists this year, About 70-75 points. Right now, he's on pace for about 40 points. That hurts. I was hoping for a better offensive team this year and we're not seeing that at all.

We're winning because:

Goaltending is excellent

Our third line of Perez, Bonk and Johnson has been consistently excellent all year

Powerplay is good

Penalty-killing is excellent, and,

Koivu is still our guy up front and is doing it all, leading by example.

So far it's been enough because every other team in this conference, with the exception of Buffalo also has its flaws.

While Higgins is no saviour, he is an excellent player, and his speed drives back defences and opens things up for both Koivu and Ryder. He also drives to the net, is an excellent penalty-killer, and is wonderful on the powerplay. We're feeling his absence greatly.

If we lose to T.O we are officially in a slump having lost two-in-a-row, and three of our last four, with our only win coming over a horrible Florida squad who we had to beat in a shoot-out after a 0-0 game.

Next week is also a tough week, Boston is 8-2 in its last 10 (Monday) while we have New Jersey and NYI back-to-back on the road.

I believe that this team has more talent than its shown, especially when it comes to Sammy, Kovy and Ryder, we won't be a stronger team until they start putting consistent games together. Those three make up half of our top 6 forwards so even a slight improvement in their offensive game would probably make a huge difference on the ice.

We are doing well at 14-7-3, but this team is really frustrating to watch sometimes.

No panic, just general annoyance.

westcoast habsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 02:53 AM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
lol..typical habs fan
it's the same after every loss...

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 03:01 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast habsfan View Post
Habs have been seriously inconsistent this year not only from game-to-game but sometimes from period-to-period. I agree that they are small and they are soft. They get seriously pushed around whenever we play Toronto, who have a decent size team, and we couldn't do anything about Carolina's drives to the net in our last game. Either our defenceman are not mobile enough to stand anyone up (Souray, Rivet), or they are too small to do it. Komisarek is the only one who can consistently confront people, which is why he now such an important part of the Habs blueline. While Markov is generally smart enough positionally that he can angle people off to the boards or corners.

Offence wise, I'm definitely disappointed. I thought Sammy would get 30 goals, 45 assists this year, About 70-75 points. Right now, he's on pace for about 40 points. That hurts. I was hoping for a better offensive team this year and we're not seeing that at all.

We're winning because:

Goaltending is excellent

Our third line of Perez, Bonk and Johnson has been consistently excellent all year

Powerplay is good

Penalty-killing is excellent, and,

Koivu is still our guy up front and is doing it all, leading by example.

So far it's been enough because every other team in this conference, with the exception of Buffalo also has its flaws.

While Higgins is no saviour, he is an excellent player, and his speed drives back defences and opens things up for both Koivu and Ryder. He also drives to the net, is an excellent penalty-killer, and is wonderful on the powerplay. We're feeling his absence greatly.

If we lose to T.O we are officially in a slump having lost two-in-a-row, and three of our last four, with our only win coming over a horrible Florida squad who we had to beat in a shoot-out after a 0-0 game.

Next week is also a tough week, Boston is 8-2 in its last 10 (Monday) while we have New Jersey and NYI back-to-back on the road.

I believe that this team has more talent than its shown, especially when it comes to Sammy, Kovy and Ryder, we won't be a stronger team until they start putting consistent games together. Those three make up half of our top 6 forwards so even a slight improvement in their offensive game would probably make a huge difference on the ice.

We are doing well at 14-7-3, but this team is really frustrating to watch sometimes.

No panic, just general annoyance.

Hackett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 08:18 PM
Tatay Farlo

Send a message via AIM to Tatay Farlo Send a message via MSN to Tatay Farlo Send a message via Yahoo to Tatay Farlo
Where's everyone that was criticizing my post after the 'Canes game. Like I said, this team NEEDS a shake up.

Sorry, but I'm not a "fairweather" Habs fan but a true one and I know our team isn't even playing up to our record. We have been lucky and need to ship somes guys out like I said and bring in players that care and will try.

Old
12-02-2006, 08:29 PM
Tatay Farlo

I spoke way too soon. Thank god for our captain, true heart of our team.

Let's go Habs!!

Old
12-06-2006, 11:55 PM
Tatay Farlo

Another loss that proves my post a bit truer...

Old
12-07-2006, 10:58 AM
baldrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatay Farlo View Post
Another loss that proves my post a bit truer...
Everyone, fans, Carbonneau, and Gainey, seem content to just compete.

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 11:19 AM
Istvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatay Farlo View Post
Where's everyone that was criticizing my post after the 'Canes game. Like I said, this team NEEDS a shake up.

Sorry, but I'm not a "fairweather" Habs fan but a true one and I know our team isn't even playing up to our record. We have been lucky and need to ship somes guys out like I said and bring in players that care and will try.
A little tinkering may be in order. Of the many suggestions in recent threads i'm inclined to agree with; separate Samsonov and Kovalev, promote Lapierre and Kostitsyn, trade, waive, demote Niniima and Murray.

I don't think Plekanec is the problem on the second line.

Istvan is offline   Reply With Quote