HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: 06/12/06 Montreal @ New Jersey 7:30PM EST RDS

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-07-2006, 11:41 AM
  #451
habfan4
Registered User
 
habfan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Deus Amat Pretzel
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,424
vCash: 500
Do the Devils play the trap? Absolutely, but so do most other teams (or the left wing lock etc...), including the Habs last night. So you can't knock them on that account.

NJ's forwards do an adequate job clogging up the neutral zone, but the really frustrating part of playing the Devils is Brodeur, it's his puck handling skills that perfect Jersey's game plan. Carbo and the boys kept on dumping the puck in only to watch Marty gobble it up and send it back up ice (difficult to blame the Devils for that). When you've got a guy who can play the puck like Brodeur you have to work that to your advantage and that is what the Devils do. On the offensive side, NJ still has a flow to their game and with their quick forwards, they transition better than almost anyone (save for Buffalo).

When Brodeur hangs em up the Devils will have to adapt, until then the rest of the league will have to adapt to NJ, not the other way around.

habfan4 is offline  
Old
12-07-2006, 11:47 AM
  #452
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God View Post
The Devils took it to the Habs last night, look at the numbers, we out shot the Habs 14-6 in the 3rd and OT - and we had more scoring chances especially in the latter part of the game yet it's our fault that you guys played a boring game despite the fact we didn't play one.

And you can blame our defense but the fact is it's not even close to our best defense and is probably our worst since the mid '90's and if a team looks boring against us maybe you should look else where to place the blame instead of the ole cliche' of blaming the Devils.

It's getting tiresome and predictable and way off base. Seriously.


The Devils did take it to the Habs last night in the 3rd because they were behind and opened the game up because they needed a goal.If they had the 1 goal lead it would have continued being a snoozefest.You are right it is getting tiresome and predictable watching the Devils play hockey.Thank god I only have to watch them 4 times a year when they play the Habs.I am sorry if you cannot accept the fact fans think New Jersey is a boring team but I have my opinion and if you don't like it I am sorry.I guess in this case we both agree to disagree and that is what makes for lively discussion.Where would the fun be if everyone agreed all the time.I think the Devils are boring and you don't.End of story.

sheed36 is online now  
Old
12-07-2006, 11:48 AM
  #453
Mr San Diego Hab
Mosdell = Cup Champ
 
Mr San Diego Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego/Anchorage
Country: United States
Posts: 661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God View Post
You mean for trying to play a boring game?

And I don't find ANY hockey game boring and I have been watching the game since 1977, but that just could me.

And the Devils have been involved in some of the most classic and memorable games in the last decade, games that are hardly boring.

BTW, Pierre McGuire last season called the Devils one of the most exciting teams in the 2nd half, and they were.




Could never argue with that, but it has nothing to do with their style.
Well since you put a date on me, I have been watching hockey for about 7 years longer then you (not that it means anything). Listen, the style of hockey NJ plays has been VERY successful for them. When a team goes on the road and tries to win a 1-0 game, it tends to be a bit boring. Thatís life. Most of the Hab games this year have been exciting to watch. I am a huge Gomez fan (from AK myself) and I watch a ton of NJ games. It doesn't make them a bad team, just a team that doesn't get me excited to watch...but like I already stated, the style works for them so more power to NJ

Mr San Diego Hab is offline  
Old
12-07-2006, 12:05 PM
  #454
DevFan-RU-
Registered User
 
DevFan-RU-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Morristown, NJ
Country: Poland
Posts: 11,057
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
The Devils did take it to the Habs last night in the 3rd because they were behind and opened the game up because they needed a goal.If they had the 1 goal lead it would have continued being a snoozefest.You are right it is getting tiresome and predictable watching the Devils play hockey.Thank god I only have to watch them 4 times a year when they play the Habs.I am sorry if you cannot accept the fact fans think New Jersey is a boring team but I have my opinion and if you don't like it I am sorry.I guess in this case we both agree to disagree and that is what makes for lively discussion.Where would the fun be if everyone agreed all the time.I think the Devils are boring and you don't.End of story.
I hope you realize, aside from that ping-pong match of a second period, the Devils took it to the Habs in both the 1st and 3rd.

The habs goal was a godsend from a Brodeur screwup. But then again, many goals start out as a screwup by the other team.

I for one am tired about the Habs complaining. Im sorry the NJ Devils play hockey to win using conservative defense first style. But the habs are no better. Why is it that former Montreal coaches find success better in NJ then Montreal? They implement the same systems. The players are different. But nonetheless... the same hockey is played (defense-first that is).

DevFan-RU- is offline  
Old
12-07-2006, 12:12 PM
  #455
Le Maroons
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevFan-RU- View Post
I hope you realize, aside from that ping-pong match of a second period, the Devils took it to the Habs in both the 1st and 3rd.

The habs goal was a godsend from a Brodeur screwup. But then again, many goals start out as a screwup by the other team.

I for one am tired about the Habs complaining. Im sorry the NJ Devils play hockey to win using conservative defense first style. But the habs are no better. Why is it that former Montreal coaches find success better in NJ then Montreal? They implement the same systems. The players are different. But nonetheless... the same hockey is played (defense-first that is).
I'm not sure why I'm jumping in but... NJ has had a better goalie for a while now. NJ has had better defense for a while now.

Of course former Hab coaches have found greater success in NJ, they inherited better hockey players. As far as Julien is concerned, well, that remains to be seen, as far as I can tell Montreal has more points than New Jersey so far this year so...

Le Maroons is offline  
Old
12-07-2006, 12:24 PM
  #456
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevFan-RU- View Post
I hope you realize, aside from that ping-pong match of a second period, the Devils took it to the Habs in both the 1st and 3rd.

The habs goal was a godsend from a Brodeur screwup. But then again, many goals start out as a screwup by the other team.

I for one am tired about the Habs complaining. Im sorry the NJ Devils play hockey to win using conservative defense first style. But the habs are no better. Why is it that former Montreal coaches find success better in NJ then Montreal? They implement the same systems. The players are different. But nonetheless... the same hockey is played (defense-first that is).

Thing is it is not only Habs fans complaining about the Devils being boring.Fans from other teams say the same thing.We all can't be wrong can we. I guess what some of us consider boring hockey others consider exciting.To each is own I guess.You enjoy watching the devils play and I don't.I am not complaining just stating the fact as I see it from my POV.

sheed36 is online now  
Old
12-07-2006, 12:37 PM
  #457
DevFan-RU-
Registered User
 
DevFan-RU-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Morristown, NJ
Country: Poland
Posts: 11,057
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Maroons View Post
I'm not sure why I'm jumping in but... NJ has had a better goalie for a while now. NJ has had better defense for a while now.

Of course former Hab coaches have found greater success in NJ, they inherited better hockey players. As far as Julien is concerned, well, that remains to be seen, as far as I can tell Montreal has more points than New Jersey so far this year so...
Habs are a game ahead of the Devils as well...and only 2 pts ahead.

Only disparity is the GF and GA. The Habs simply score more.

DevFan-RU- is offline  
Old
12-07-2006, 12:37 PM
  #458
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,097
vCash: 500
I was at the first NJ-Mtl matchup in Montreal, and it was a great game, very lively, with plenty of action and quite a few scoring chances.

This one was deathly boring though, and that was a quote from Marty Brodeur. No blame either, the Habs would have been quite happy with a deathly boring win, too...

MathMan is offline  
Old
12-07-2006, 12:41 PM
  #459
Mr San Diego Hab
Mosdell = Cup Champ
 
Mr San Diego Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego/Anchorage
Country: United States
Posts: 661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I was at the first NJ-Mtl matchup in Montreal, and it was a great game, very lively, with plenty of action and quite a few scoring chances.

This one was deathly boring though, and that was a quote from Marty Brodeur. No blame either, the Habs would have been quite happy with a deathly boring win, too...
I agree. As a fan I will take ANY win.

Mr San Diego Hab is offline  
Old
12-07-2006, 12:46 PM
  #460
DevFan-RU-
Registered User
 
DevFan-RU-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Morristown, NJ
Country: Poland
Posts: 11,057
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Thing is it is not only Habs fans complaining about the Devils being boring.Fans from other teams say the same thing.We all can't be wrong can we. I guess what some of us consider boring hockey others consider exciting.To each is own I guess.You enjoy watching the devils play and I don't.I am not complaining just stating the fact as I see it from my POV.
So... even if the Habs won 2-0, it would still be a boring game?

I dont get it. So the Devils played excellent Defense and pounded you guys on Offense... yet you blame the Devils for the boringness?

I'd really like to know who else thinks the Devils are boring... I found last years "streak" to be very exciting. Especially that last wonderful game where the Habs and Devils met.

Surely that game was boring too eh?

DevFan-RU- is offline  
Old
12-07-2006, 12:52 PM
  #461
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp1122 View Post
Am I missing something mcphee, or are you slipping a bit? Lou Nanne, early 70's Minnesota North Stars.
It was before Lou Nanne. Me ,slipping, hah.

mcphee is offline  
Old
12-07-2006, 01:00 PM
  #462
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
Do the Devils play the trap? Absolutely, but so do most other teams (or the left wing lock etc...), including the Habs last night. So you can't knock them on that account.

NJ's forwards do an adequate job clogging up the neutral zone, but the really frustrating part of playing the Devils is Brodeur, it's his puck handling skills that perfect Jersey's game plan. Carbo and the boys kept on dumping the puck in only to watch Marty gobble it up and send it back up ice (difficult to blame the Devils for that). When you've got a guy who can play the puck like Brodeur you have to work that to your advantage and that is what the Devils do. On the offensive side, NJ still has a flow to their game and with their quick forwards, they transition better than almost anyone (save for Buffalo).

When Brodeur hangs em up the Devils will have to adapt, until then the rest of the league will have to adapt to NJ, not the other way around.
I agree. Their forwards are good off the rush. If there's a criticism, it's that you wouldn't mind seeing the shackles taken off of Martin and Rafalski, but if it works....

For all the talk of the trap, NJ forechecks, but they get back and choke off the neutral zone. Why not ? If your team buys into it, you use what works. If you lose the puck, you try and get it back. Every team in the NHL wants to be able to shut down the opposition when they have a lead. NJ's just good at it.

I think they have their rep and no matter what they do, it'll stick.

mcphee is offline  
Old
12-07-2006, 01:05 PM
  #463
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevFan-RU- View Post
So... even if the Habs won 2-0, it would still be a boring game?

I dont get it. So the Devils played excellent Defense and pounded you guys on Offense... yet you blame the Devils for the boringness?

I'd really like to know who else thinks the Devils are boring... I found last years "streak" to be very exciting. Especially that last wonderful game where the Habs and Devils met.

Surely that game was boring too eh?
Yeah even if the Habs won 2-0 it would have still been a boring game.It is not because the Habs lost I thought the game was boring.It is funny you bring up the last game between the Habs and Devils from last year.Sure the game was exciting but like I have been saying all along the Devils were losing and had to open the game up to score goals and that is what made it exciting.When the Devils have a lead going into a 3rd period it is like watching paint dry.The only time a Devils game is decent is when they trail in the game and are pressing to score.I am not so sure the Devils pounded the Habs on offence but they won the game and they deserved it.They play a boring but effective style and that is a fact.Just go check the National Hockey League Talk board.You will see another thread about this started by a Sabres fan with other fans saying the same thing as what me and others here have been saying.It is not only Habs fans saying this about the Devils but others are saying the same thing and we all can't be wrong.Can we? I am getting tired of discussing this.It is like beating a dead horse.Opinions are like a@#holes.We all have one.We might not always agree but that is why we choose to be part of these discussion boards.Have a nice day!!!

sheed36 is online now  
Old
12-07-2006, 01:09 PM
  #464
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside
 
Ronnie Bass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 20,161
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Yeah even if the Habs won 2-0 it would have still been a boring game.It is not because the Habs lost I thought the game was boring.It is funny you bring up the last game between the Habs and Devils from last year.Sure the game was exciting but like I have been saying all along the Devils were losing and had to open the game up to score goals and that is what made it exciting.When the Devils have a lead going into a 3rd period it is like watching paint dry.The only time a Devils game is decent is when they trail in the game and are pressing to score.I am not so sure the Devils pounded the Habs on offence but they won the game and they deserved it.They play a boring but effective style and that is a fact.Just go check the National Hockey League Talk board.You will see another thread about this started by a Sabres fan with other fans saying the same thing as what me and others here have been saying.It is not only Habs fans saying this about the Devils but others are saying the same thing and we all can't be wrong.Can we? I am getting tired of discussing this.It is like beating a dead horse.Opinions are like a@#holes.We all have one.We might not always agree but that is why we choose to be part of these discussion boards.Have a nice day!!!
Oh, then it must be true, the NHL board says it is, we settled that didn't we.

__________________
1995, 2000, 2003..........
Ronnie Bass is offline  
Old
12-07-2006, 01:11 PM
  #465
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevFan-RU- View Post
So... even if the Habs won 2-0, it would still be a boring game?

I dont get it. So the Devils played excellent Defense and pounded you guys on Offense... yet you blame the Devils for the boringness?

I'd really like to know who else thinks the Devils are boring... I found last years "streak" to be very exciting. Especially that last wonderful game where the Habs and Devils met.

Surely that game was boring too eh?
I like the Devils a lot. During Montreal's rough years, NJ was the team I focused on down the stretch & in the playoffs. I liked the individual players and I'm a fan of Lamouriello.

I still like NJ.

But the least exciting games that Montreal plays all year long are always versus NJ--especially in NJ, where the atmosphere looks abysmal.

There's no flow in any games versus New Jersey. It's just choppy play. And this isn't just fan bias or reputation, players have stated how boring it is playing the Devils this year.

I can see how a Devil fan would not see it this way. The Devils, when watching it from a New Jersey perspective, play a very fundamentally strong game, and Elias, Gomez, Gionta (less so this season) are highly-skilled threats on the ice. Further, watching the excitement that Zajac and Parise play with, and their progression is fun to watch.

But watching as a neutral fan, or fan of the opposition, and all you see is a lot of choppy play. The teams can go 5-6 minutes without a whistle and without a scoring chance for or against.

Mike8 is offline  
Old
12-07-2006, 01:15 PM
  #466
habfan4
Registered User
 
habfan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Deus Amat Pretzel
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I agree. Their forwards are good off the rush. If there's a criticism, it's that you wouldn't mind seeing the shackles taken off of Martin and Rafalski, but if it works....

For all the talk of the trap, NJ forechecks, but they get back and choke off the neutral zone. Why not ? If your team buys into it, you use what works. If you lose the puck, you try and get it back. Every team in the NHL wants to be able to shut down the opposition when they have a lead. NJ's just good at it.

I think they have their rep and no matter what they do, it'll stick.
I think Rafalski and Martin appear to be under utilized only because Brodeur sets up the counter attack so damn well, why have them lug the puck to centre if Marty can put the puck on a forwards stick. In the quick transition they join the fowards through the neutral zone and basically overwhelm the opposition forwards. In the offensive zone I agree, I think they could be more adventurous, but then I'm the kind to complain when Rivet or Souray start to take chances.

It was frustrating to watch the Habs struggle to gain the offensive zone last night, but when they dump it in against Brodeur and don't send a two man forecheck it's their own fault. I'm not going to heap scorn on NJ for playing a smart game.

habfan4 is offline  
Old
12-07-2006, 01:41 PM
  #467
tmp1122
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
It was before Lou Nanne. Me ,slipping, hah.
Lou Angotti?

tmp1122 is offline  
Old
12-07-2006, 01:51 PM
  #468
Jersey Fresh
Video Et Taceo
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: T.A.
Country: Israel
Posts: 7,531
vCash: 500
I think the Habs are more boring than the Devils. And they both trap.

Jersey Fresh is online now  
Old
12-07-2006, 01:53 PM
  #469
Habsfan18
Registered User
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowcard View Post
I think the Habs are more boring than the Devils. And they both trap.
you've got to be kidding me.

You are honestly blind if you think ANY TEAM IN THE LEAGUE is more boring than the Devils.

Even the 15 fans in the arena last night were booing with boredom.

Habsfan18 is offline  
Old
12-07-2006, 02:30 PM
  #470
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God View Post
Oh, then it must be true, the NHL board says it is, we settled that didn't we.

Common Lou give it a break please.It is not only Hab fans who see this but fans all over the league.There is nothing wrong if you like watching the Devils play hockey and think it is exciting.Please give us your reasons on why you consider the Devils exciting to watch because me and others really fail to see it.And please none of this nonsense about well we won x number of cups playing this way.The Devils are exciting to watch because..........

sheed36 is online now  
Old
12-07-2006, 02:35 PM
  #471
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,812
vCash: 500


What a stupid debate.

Tuggy is offline  
Old
12-07-2006, 03:10 PM
  #472
habfan4
Registered User
 
habfan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Deus Amat Pretzel
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post


What a stupid debate.
Welcome to HF

habfan4 is offline  
Old
12-07-2006, 03:16 PM
  #473
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp1122 View Post
Lou Angotti?
Ding,ding,ding, we have a winner.

mcphee is offline  
Old
12-07-2006, 03:18 PM
  #474
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowcard View Post
I think the Habs are more boring than the Devils. And they both trap.
All I can think to reply is

-Oh yeah ?

-I know you are but what am I ?

-Are not.

-Do not.

mcphee is offline  
Old
12-07-2006, 03:30 PM
  #475
habfan4
Registered User
 
habfan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Deus Amat Pretzel
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
All I can think to reply is

-Oh yeah ?

-I know you are but what am I ?

-Are not.

-Do not.
My dad can beat up your dad.

habfan4 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.