Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official 2013-2014 Abbotsford Heat Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-13-2013, 05:05 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Abb's how have Knights faceoffs been? Statistically he looks like he maybe as close to NHL ready as was originally thought.

Old
10-14-2013, 02:49 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Abb's how have Knights faceoffs been? Statistically he looks like he maybe as close to NHL ready as was originally thought.
Seems to me he has been pretty good, but unfortunately I am going off memory and the AHL doesn't share faceoff stats.

Old
10-14-2013, 03:01 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
Seems to me he has been pretty good, but unfortunately I am going off memory and the AHL doesn't share faceoff stats.
Yeah that's why I asked as you might know.

Old
10-14-2013, 03:12 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Yeah that's why I asked as you might know.
over the next few weeks I will try and track some faceoff stats. another problem is since they use jumbotron feeds, quite often the camera is a moment late and misses the draw

Old
10-14-2013, 03:25 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
over the next few weeks I will try and track some faceoff stats. another problem is since they use jumbotron feeds, quite often the camera is a moment late and misses the draw
Alright thanks. I thought Knight got better through camp and thought by the end he was better than Street so I hope he gets a shot soon.

Old
10-14-2013, 04:37 PM
Unkki

vCash: 500
So what is happening with Ortio? Didn't even get a chance and now he's in Alaska Aces.

Old
10-14-2013, 04:52 PM
Nordberg

Very interesting. Brossoit and Ortio swapped without either having played a game yet. Anyone heard anything?

Old
10-14-2013, 04:57 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 1000
That's odd. Ortio was very good in pre-season.

Old
10-14-2013, 05:19 PM
MuffinMerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkki View Post
So what is happening with Ortio? Didn't even get a chance and now he's in Alaska Aces.
What the hell?

Old
10-14-2013, 05:23 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkki View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
Very interesting. Brossoit and Ortio swapped without either having played a game yet. Anyone heard anything?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
That's odd. Ortio was very good in pre-season.
Playing time, that is what it is coming down to. Ortio hasn't had the chance to play with the Heat because of how well Berra is playing so he has gone down to the Aces for their season opening series on Friday and Saturday against the San Francisco Bulls. The Heat did the same thing in 09/10 with Irving, Shantz and Keetley. This is on no way a slight against Ortio, it's simply to get him on the ice.

I wouldn't be shocked to see him recalled for one of the 3 games in 3 nights the Heat have this weekend. My guess is Ortio starts in Alaska friday, they swap back Saturday and Ortio starts Sunday vs. Texas after Berra starts Fri and Sat vs. the Barons.

Last edited by Adirondack Flames: 10-14-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old
10-14-2013, 06:00 PM
Anglesmith
Lord Byron

Quote:
Playing time, that is what it is coming down to. Ortio hasn't had the chance to play with the Heat because of how well Berra is playing so he has gone down to the Aces for their season opening series on Friday and Saturday against the San Francisco Bulls. The Heat did the same thing in 09/10 with Irving, Shantz and Keetley. This is on no way a slight against Ortio, it's simply to get him on the ice.

I wouldn't be shocked to see him recalled for one of the 3 games in 3 nights the Heat have this weekend. My guess is Ortio starts in Alaska friday, they swap back Saturday and Ortio starts Sunday vs. Texas after Berra starts Fri and Sat vs. the Barons.
This was my guess when I saw the posts above. They want Ortio starting.

And besides, if this is the system they used to develop Irving, Shantz and Keetley, we really have nothing to worry about.

Old
10-16-2013, 03:46 PM
Anglesmith
Lord Byron

Is Paul Byron playing as well as his stats indicate? I always liked him, even if he's not a terribly effective NHLer.

Old
10-16-2013, 04:09 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglesmith View Post
Is Paul Byron playing as well as his stats indicate? I always liked him, even if he's not a terribly effective NHLer.
Haven't seen him play but Hartley was very excited for him last year as he played a very similar style in the CHL. I think he is going to have a big year as the fast paced system fits him extremely well.

Old
10-16-2013, 06:44 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglesmith View Post
Byron has been excellent. He and Max are carrying Horak IMO.

Old
10-18-2013, 02:09 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Our Abbotsford Heat visit the Oklahoma City Barons tonight. Puck drop is 6:00 Calgary time. This will be the first of 3 in 3 for the Heat.

OKC is 2-3-0 on the season. Richard Bachman has been leading the way for the Barons so far between the pipes starting 4 of 5 games and Andrew Miller who has 4 points in 4 games.

Markus Granlund should make his North American professional debut tonight for the Heat. Berra is expected to start again tonight with either Brossoit or Ortio playing Sunday in Texas.

Old
10-18-2013, 02:31 PM
Nordberg

Quote:
Markus Granlund should make his North American professional debut tonight for the Heat. Berra is expected to start again tonight with either Brossoit or Ortio playing Sunday in Texas.
Sounds like he might be playing with Hanowski and Ferland, which sounds exciting, but I didn't figure he'd be starting out at center in NA. How are his faceoffs? I hope he can do well here, but I'm not really sure what his role is supposed to be in our organization. Perhaps he can cut it as a pest with some offensive contribution?

Old
10-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Flames Maniac
Was Flamesfanatic12

vCash: 900
I know it won't happen, but with the 3 in 3, I'd honestly like to see all of Berra/Brossoit/Ortio get to start a game with the Heat here, just to get each of Orton/Brossoit a bit of AHL action, see what they can do. Not really a better opportunity to do it with little consequence than on a 3 in 3 at the very beginning of the season

Old
10-18-2013, 03:53 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanatic12 View Post
I know it won't happen, but with the 3 in 3, I'd honestly like to see all of Berra/Brossoit/Ortio get to start a game with the Heat here, just to get each of Orton/Brossoit a bit of AHL action, see what they can do. Not really a better opportunity to do it with little consequence than on a 3 in 3 at the very beginning of the season
tought to do when one of Ortio or Brossoit is needed in Alaska to play.

Speaking of Alaska, Ortio should be starting their season opener tonight.

Old
10-19-2013, 03:28 AM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

I may not be able to watch this game until morning as work is just too busy tonight.

But what I know:

Heat 3 - Barons 4

Heat goals
  1. Hanowski (Granlund)
  2. Billins (Reinhart, Horak)
  3. Olson (Bancks, Byron)

3 Stars
  1. OKC - 23 Linus Omark
  2. OKC - 16 Anton Lander
  3. OKC - 30 Richard Bachman

Without seeing the game these are some things I have figured out and assumptions I have made.
  • Abbotsford out shot the Barons 44-28
  • OKC had a 4-0 lead 4:32 into the 2nd period when Berra was replaced by Brossoit. This leads me to believe Berra had a tough go tonight, but 2 of the GA were on the PP and in 24:32 of action he had faced alot of rubber (19 shots), in 34:23 of action Brossoit stopped all 9 shots thrown his way.
  • Omark stole the show with 2g and 2a
  • Granlund had his first AHL point
  • Hanowski continued his point streak

more information will come after I actually watch the game

Old
10-19-2013, 01:29 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

my game #5 follow up.

1st Period:
  • AHL live was out for the first half (maybe up to 12 minutes) of the 1st period so by the time it started it was already 1-0 for the Barons.
  • The feed is pretty ****ed up, I can't even make it full screen, the Heat broadcasts aren't working either. Not only that but for some unknown reason the Barons arena is set up like Rectal, the cameras are all on the same side as the benches and face the penalty boxes. I swear these are the only 2 pro rinks in North America that do this.
  • Granlund making his AHL debut & Lamb making his season debut, Brossoit dressed as the backup for the first time as a pro. Sieloff is a scratch for the 3rd straight game and did not make the trip.
  • The 2-0 Omark undressed a Heat forward, then Breen and shelved it overtop of Berra. Beautiful goal. Goal was great but these announcers are god awful.
  • Shots are even at 10 after 1.

2nd Period:
  • Quick Heat penalty by Bancks, followed by a quick goal. Good passing by the Barons to set up a cross crease pass and one timer for the goal, other than attempting to break up the pass Berra was helpless.
  • Cundari leaves with what looks like a foot injury.
  • Heat getting called for another Penalty and Barons score again, another good cross ice pass. Not much chance for Berra on goals 2, 3 &4.
  • God that explanation frm teh colour guy was so brutal. He explains the goal afterwards awkwardly..... the following took the guy from the time the Barons scored, to after the puck dropped again, with a goaltending change being made during that time as well. OKC fans deserve so much better than this senile old man who sounds like he has 1 foot in the grave.
    • "He rushed to the bench and a new guy came on, which is uhhhh [silence] a new guy came on, which was Nesbitt and he uhhhhh [pause] substituted for the goalie for the 6 on 5 and low and behold Nesbitt gets an assist. So uhhhh that's a good heads up play by the goaltender, alot of times fans don't uhhh understand why, a new uhhhhh [silence] uhhhh team can have 6 players on the ice. But the team that's getting the penalty must get full possession of the puck and then the whitle will go then uhhhhh the play will be stopped. So right there the Barons held the puck for at least 30 seconds and scored 6 on 5."
  • Brossoit in, Berra out. And still no Heat audio feed
  • Bancks with another dumb penalty for slashing (2nd penalty in 5 minutes of play)
  • and the tides begin to change.....
  • Good PK from the Heat, don't think a shot on goal was allowed
  • Shortly after the PK, Granlund takes a big shot from just inside the blueline and Hanowski jumps on the rebound to make it 4-1.
  • At the end of the period Elson took a deflected shot to the throat and skated to the bench.
  • Heat get their first PP with 7 seconds left in the 2nd when Brady Lamb takes a stick to the face.
  • Shots are 24-22 for OKC after 2.

2nd Intermission:
  • It appears the Barons cheerleaders are about as talented as the Oilers goaltenders. Their idea of a dance routine is to step to the right and clap, then step to the left and clap... now repeat for 5 minutes.

3rd Period:
  • Billins scores very quickly on the PP making it 4-2
  • Complete domination by the Heat so far 5 minutes in.
  • Elson is back on the ice, but still no Cundari.
  • Max Reinhart seeing time at the point on the PP.
  • Lamb moving the puck extremely well on the PP.
  • Byron wins a battle along the boards, passes out in the slot to Bancks and Olson bangs in the rebound to draw the Heat within 1.
  • Shots were 22-4 in the 3rd period. But Heat just can't quite even it up.

Old
10-19-2013, 02:37 PM
MarkGio

Crappy. Looks like the Heat are struggling in the beginning. They're managing to play 0.500 hockey, but still they're in 8th place in the conference with a few games in hand. Still lots of hockey left to turn it around

Old
10-19-2013, 03:14 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Crappy. Looks like the Heat are struggling in the beginning. They're managing to play 0.500 hockey, but still they're in 8th place in the conference with a few games in hand. Still lots of hockey left to turn it around
I'm just glad our guys are playing in the right positions for them and learning the systems they play on the Flames. As long as we see steady progression and growth from our guys as the season wears on, we really can't ask for more.

Old
10-20-2013, 04:56 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Abbotsford Heat 2 - Oklahoma City Barons 1 (Shootout)

Heat Scoring:
  1. Paul Byron (Granlund, Breen)

Three Stars:
  1. ABB: Reto Berra
  2. OKC: Richard Bachman
  3. ABB: Paul Byron

Lines/Roster Updates :

McKelvie - Knight - Nemisz
Horak - Reinhart - Jooris
Bancks - Byron - Olson
Ferland - Granlund - Hanowski

Breen - Billins
Wotherspoon - Lamb
Ramage - Arsene

Berra

Scratches:
  • Sieloff (injury)
  • Cundari (injury)
  • MacKenizie
  • Elson
  • Eddy
  • Lyon
  • Begin (injury)

My Two Cents:

1st Period:
  • Wotherspoon very noticeable early, most physical he has been all year. This continued all night.
  • Putting McKelvie with Knight/Nemisz and Byron between Bancks/Olson seems to me like it will effectively neuter those lines offensively. Wouldn't it make more sense to put McKelvie with Bancks & Olson? And Byron with Nemo & Knight? Head scratcher for sure.
  • Good defensive 1st period on both sides, few offensive chances for either team.
  • Heat dominated the circle in the 1st going 11/16 (68.75%).

2nd Period:
  • Midway through the 2nd Heat are already 0 for 4 on the PP.
  • Arsene and Wotherspoon both knocked down Andrew Miller on a breakaway, casuing a penalty shot. Berra outwiated him but due to the crappy angle I was unable to tell if he got his stick on the shot or if it just went wide.
  • the Knight, Nemisz & McKelvie line has been used very sparsely tonight (Although Nemi has been a fixture on the PK), Knight is just now taking his first draw of the night. I think he lost the draw, but I am not sure since the cameraman decided to focus on the Barons mascot and his tshirt gun instead of the faceoff, all I know is the Barons had possession when they finally decided to focus on the play.
  • This has to be the UGLIEST fan base in all of professional sports, yes even uglier than Edmonton! Yikes!
  • Billins is doing his best to break the 0-0 draw, with 3 minor penalties in the 2nd frame edit: and he was in the box for the buzzer beater.
  • The 2nd period has been Berra's best of the season, he hasn't had to stand on his head but I don't think he has allowed a rebound all period he has just absorbed everything shot his way. Looking very steady.
  • Barons score as the buzzer goes, it is being reviewed. And it counts, goal scored with less than a second left in the second period, so little time the teams still go straight to the rooms.
  • Heat dropped off in the faceoff department going 8/22 (36.36%) in the 2nd and now 19/38 (50.00% on the game).

3rd Period:
  • I swear Berra has made 3 or 4 saves with his face tonight. I shall refrain from a "using your head" joke, unfortunately this abortion of a broadcast crew in OKC didn't do the same.
  • I think it's amusing that the arenas in the Oilers organization are Rectal and Cox. Yes, sometimes I am like a 12 year old.
  • Oh my god! Berra with an amazing save on a 2 on 0, Barons made a great pass to set up a one timer, shot was well placed as it appeared headed just inside the near post above the pad , but Reto with fantastic lateral movement got his glove on the shot! Save of the year for the Heat so far, easily.
  • A PP unit of Byron, Ferland and Olson? Sometimes Ward's lines make me wonder what the hell he is thinking.
  • Wotherspoon has kept up his torrid pace all night, fantastic effort for him, best game as a pro by far.
  • Haven't noticed much of Billins in the 3rd, after his lack of discipline in the 2nd I cannot say I am shocked nor disappointed in the decision to keep his ass stapled to the pine. His only ice-time I noticed has been on the PP.
  • Granlund with a good scoring chance but shot wide.
  • Berra pulled for the extra attacker
  • Breen with a big shot, Byron banged in the rebound to tie it up with 39 seconds left!

Overtime:
  • Berra with a good save on a 1 timer, no rebounds in sight!
  • Another great save by Berra, shot from the blueline gets blocked and ends up right on the stick of an OKC forward and Berra makes the point blank stop and again no rebound to be had.
  • Not a Heat player but one of interest as he is so hyped. Klefbom was solid in these 2 games, but he didn't stand out for any reason (good or bad), Wotherspoon IMO was much more noticeable for positive reasons.
  • Byron with a breakaway! Tries to go 5 hole and Backman makes the save.
  • Knight with half assed breakaway (defenseman closed the gap very fast), Knight gets a shot off but Bachman made a pad save.

Shootout:
  1. OKC : Broda - dekes, backhand forehand and tries to slip it 5 hole but Reto shuts the door.
  2. ABB : Billins - dekes, forehand, then backhand, slips it 5hole! Heat take 1-0 lead
  3. OKC : Omark - lots of shucking and jiving, goes low blocker on a close in shot but stopped by Berra.
  4. ABB : Granlund - comes on with lots of speed, fakes dekes and slips awrister 5hole! 2-0 lead for the good guys!
  5. OKC : Miller - tries a a shot (unlike his penalty shot) and fires it up over the net, glove side. Heat score again and it's over!
  6. ABB : Bancks FTW - goes wide backhand, then switches forehand but loses control. Still 2-0 for the Heat.
  7. OKC : Nesbitt - goes forehand to start but pulls it back and shoots 5hole, scores. Barons draw closer, 2-1 Heat.
  8. ABB : Horak FTW - slapshot blocker side, stopped easily. Still 2-1 Heat, if Berra stops the next shoot the Heat win.
  9. OKC : Larsen - comes in with speed shoots thigh high on the glove side, but Berra makes the save! Heat win!!
  10. ABB : N/A

Faceoffs:
Player Name Neut. Zone Wins Neut. Zone Losses Neut. Zone % Off. Zone Wins Off. Zone Losses Off. Zone % Def. Zone Wins Def. Zone Losses Def. Zone % Total Wins Total Losses Overall %
Bancks, Carter 0 0 - 0 1 0.00% 2 0 100.00% 2 1 66.67%
Byron, Paul 3 3 50.00% 3 1 75.00% 1 1 50.00% 7 5 58.33%
Granlund, Markus 1 0 100.00% 5 3 62.50% 1 1 50.00% 7 4 63.64%
Jooris, Josh 1 0 100.00% 2 1 66.67% 0 0 - 3 1 75.00%
Knight, Corban 0 0 - 2 0 100.00% 1 2 33.33% 3 2 60.00%
Nemisz, Greg 0 0 - 0 0 - 0 1 0.00% 0 1 0.00%
Olson, Brett 2 0 100.00% 1 4 20.00% 0 2 0.00% 3 6 33.33%
Reinhart, Max 1 0 100.00% 2 4 33.33% 3 4 42.86% 6 8 42.86%

Old
10-20-2013, 05:02 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Thanks to Hockey Ninja for his thread on this matter and sharing it with everyone.

Breen and Horak have been recalled to the Flames as per the AHL transactions page. It also shows Smith and B. Jones being sent to the Heat.

I am really curious to see if Jones and Smith will be in Cedar Park, TX this afternoon to face the Stars, I really hope so since it's a short flight from San Jose to Austin and neither player played last night.

I can't wait to see the Breen Giant suit up for the Flames!!!

Old
10-20-2013, 05:09 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

In Alaska Aces news, they went 1-1 in their weekend set with San Francisco.

Friday they lost 2-1 despite outshooting their opponent 45-19. Ortio made 17 saves in the loss. Martin was held pointless.

Saturday they lit up the Bulls 5-0, Ortio posted the 17 save shutout. Martin failed to record a point in the drubbing.

Last edited by Adirondack Flames: 10-20-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Closed Thread