HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TSN poor coverage

Old
12-07-2006, 07:53 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

vCash: 500
TSN poor coverage

I don't want to complain cause as a Sens fan, we'll take any coverage we get, but is it me or TSN's sound quality is horrible? They don't blank out the crowd so we can't hear the commentators... And maybe because they're not local boys, but the comments are better when A Ch. or Sportsnet cover it.

And did you all hear that Caps fan last night? "GO CAPS GO" and the people responding all night???
It was kind of annoying, but I think the Sens should give him season tickets for ScotiaBank place!

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 08:14 AM
Sens are like Whoa

I just hate that view from the bench...

If I wanted to watch the game from the bench, I'd play ****ing hockey.

Sens are like Whoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 08:23 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Considering I was starting to enjoy TSN telecasts more than HNIC last season, last night was a gigantic step backwards in so many ways, I can't even begin to count.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 08:58 AM
freakin

there was barely any comments relating to what was going on on the bench so I don't really get the point of what they are doing other than to say 'can you believe the balls our announcers have to sit ice level!!!'. The setup they had in Carolina Edmonton game is much better with that one guy sitting there exclusively talking about what's going on on the benches.

freakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 09:02 AM
jamiebez

Glenn Healy is the patron saint of poor coverage. There is no one, past, present or future who is worse at calling games than he is.

Cuthburt had to correct him in the third period when he said the Caps had chased their 4th goalie in a row. Holy crap, man, you are right next to the bench! Don't you think a goalie change would have been pretty obvious from down there? How could you screw up something like that when Emery is literally 100 feet away from you!

The man's sucktitude is enormous. I am turning down the volume if he's covering the next Sens game on TSN and listening to Team 1200 instead. The homerism of Dean and Gord would be much preferred.

jamiebez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 09:22 AM
Gus Fring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens are like Whoa View Post

My thoughts exactly.

Gus Fring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 09:29 AM
Human Megaphone

The cake for me yesterday was when Bois was on the powerplay and Healy said that the dmen weren't covering him because he has never registered a point in the NHL.

IT WAS HIS FIRST GAME YOU STUPID MORON!!!!

Last edited by Human Megaphone: 12-07-2006 at 11:07 AM.
Human Megaphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Philoushka

I found the camera placements to be just fine. I was watching the HD feed.

The microphone placements were utterly horrible. Every TOUCH of the boards would produce a loud muffle. The mics were picking up so much racket that it really ruined the game for me. HNIC never has that kind of problem.

So my question is: whose responsibility is it to place the microphones - each individual broadcaster, or the arena staff?

Philoushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 11:49 AM
The HW

The mics are probably the arena's.... not sure.

I hated that camerawork leading up to the Caps' first goal. They kept it on the ice level view from between the benches, which gives you ZERO perspective (especially watching in, y'know, 2D). I couldn't tell who was doing what, and then bang, the Caps score. Perfect!

Forgive me for *****ing for a sec; I generally like TSN's coverage & camerawork. I like the "above the net" angle they sometimes use on PPs, because it's elevated. However, this whole calling-the-game-between-the-benches thing is pretty useless. All I care about is that you get the names and details right, not about how someone sprayed snow on your notes or how you can't see past players standing up. That's why broadcasters are usually perched up above. Well, whatever. I might just be irreconcilably opposed to the whole thing because it means I have to listen to Glen Healy, who is an obnoxious jerk.

The HW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 11:57 AM
ARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens are like Whoa View Post

That pissed me off as well and they stayed on that camera for like a good minute and I couldn't see ****

I like how TSN broadcasts in HD, but that was all ruined thanks to Glen Healy causing all the viewers IQ to drop by 50 points.

ARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 03:04 PM
hockeycountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Megaphone View Post
The cake for me yesterday was when Bois was on the powerplay and Healy said that the dmen weren't covering him because he has never registered a point in the NHL.

IT WAS HIS FIRST GAME YOU STUPID MORON!!!!
I think Healy somehow mixed him up with Denis Hamel, because I'm sure I heard him say something about it being nice to see Bois, "the older guy, getting another chance in the NHL." Yeah, okay.

(Then again, the Sens' site would have you believe that Barinka was the call-up last night -- he was in the game stats and everything -- so I don't know who should be more ashamed.)

Anyway, I have to think it's annoying for the players to have those two tools between the benches like that. Even when it was just Pierre McGuire, I remember in one of the games (maybe Buffalo?) that Joe Corvo could clearly hear what was being said about him by good old Pierre. Then they do the mid-period interviews, and . . . isn't it all just kind of distracting, on top of being pointless and inane?

hockeycountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 03:20 PM
Transplanted Caper

Watched the game last night and the coverage was a complete and utter joke. It's one thing to have ridiculousness for a Healy segment in the intermission, but having someone like that involved doing colour commentary is ludicrous.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 03:43 PM
Egil

I really like having Pierre between the benches, he normally has good insight. He was definately ripping on us in the Buffalo game as well.

I would also add that what is the point of putting the commentators between the benches if they can't provide ANY insight into the unsportsmanlike call, which essentially was the end of the game.
If they can't help the viewer understand that important of a call, then I don't see the point of having them between the benches.

Egil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 03:56 PM
Tobias Funke

I loved the inane comments from Cuthbert and Healy.

One comment took the cake for me. The Sens had just gotten their 3rd straight penalty, and after killing one off, they say,
"The Senators still have to kill off a 5 on 3."

Really? You kill a 5-3 penalty, bring a guy out of the box and it's still a 5-3.

How does that work?

Utter nonsense from Healy, and Cuthbert went down a few notches just being associated with his chatty partner. They also made some terrible comments trying to justify the refereeing. Like Fisher getting whacked on the hands and Healy says something like, "just lazy work by Fisher."

Tobias Funke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 04:04 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Funke View Post
I loved the inane comments from Cuthbert and Healy.

One comment took the cake for me. The Sens had just gotten their 3rd straight penalty, and after killing one off, they say,
"The Senators still have to kill off a 5 on 3."

Really? You kill a 5-3 penalty, bring a guy out of the box and it's still a 5-3.

How does that work?

Utter nonsense from Healy, and Cuthbert went down a few notches just being associated with his chatty partner. They also made some terrible comments trying to justify the refereeing. Like Fisher getting whacked on the hands and Healy says something like, "just lazy work by Fisher."
I didn't see the game, so I have no idea what you're referring to, but there are several scenarios where a guy is brought out of the penalty box, yet it is still 5-3. A guy may finish serving a 10 minute misconduct and leaves the box at the next stoppage. Or more than two penalties being served, and a guy leaves the box at the first stoppage after his penalty has been served, etc.

Not to split hairs or anything.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 04:14 PM
Tobias Funke

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
I didn't see the game, so I have no idea what you're referring to, but there are several scenarios where a guy is brought out of the penalty box, yet it is still 5-3. A guy may finish serving a 10 minute misconduct and leaves the box at the next stoppage. Or more than two penalties being served, and a guy leaves the box at the first stoppage after his penalty has been served, etc.

Not to split hairs or anything.
I know what you're saying, but this wasn't that scenario. There were 3 minor penalties assessed (one was unsportsmanlike served by mcammond).

The funny (or stupid part for Healy and Cuthbert) is that the returning Ottawa player skated right in front of them as they made that comment.

I guess it's a good thing that they're risking their eyesight sitting at ice level--otherwise they might actually miss something.

Tobias Funke is offline   Reply With Quote