HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > EA Sports NHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
EA Sports NHL Discussion forum for EA Sports NHL video games.

** NHL 14 Thread ** (Part 4)

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2013, 04:49 PM
Izzy
JuhaMetsolaForVezina

vCash: 50

10-19-2013, 05:18 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
When you're fighting, how do you pull someone down where it takes out about 1/3 of their energy?
Dodge a bunch, immediately followed by a tug. Sometimes it will take them all the way down and you win the fight.

Old
10-19-2013, 06:21 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Played a Live The Life game earlier against the Oilers but didn't see Yakupov in the lineup.

Why???

Old
10-19-2013, 06:34 PM
Deku Scrub

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Played a Live The Life game earlier against the Oilers but didn't see Yakupov in the lineup.

Why???
He was probably injured.

Old
10-19-2013, 06:37 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deku Scrub View Post
He was probably injured.
Perhaps.

I'd look but the only injury list I can view in LTL is for my team...the Pens.

It sucks that we can't see who else in injured around the league or how long they'll be out for, etc.

Old
10-20-2013, 01:34 PM
Mkm29

Hey guys, need some advice:

In GMC, I have the opportunity to acquire Burns for my RW. He'd replace Okposo. Here's my question, is he enough of an upgrade (and beast) to justify the move? I had Wheeler there before was extremely underwhelmed by him. I want to make sure that Burns won't be the same before I pull the trigger.

Basically want a strong solid RW, has to be SNP/PWF. Needs to be able to dish out the body and help offensively. I'd move Eller + Okposo at maximum.

Eller is in his last year and I won't be able to resign him at decent price (have Subban and Kulikov to keep) so I'll replace him with Galchy on 2nd line. Okposo is not doing too bad for me but I figure that if I'm moving Eller, I may as well upgrade Okposo with that.

Thoughts?

Old
10-20-2013, 05:54 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Does anyone know the reason why EA has never given the option for the home team to shoot first in a shootout?

Ever since the 2nd season of the shootout the NHL changed the rule giving the home team the option to go first, so I can't believe all these years later EA has not added that.

Old
10-20-2013, 11:10 PM
stlblues9

vCash: 9062
Is it rare for prospects to develop or is it just me?

Old
10-21-2013, 10:57 AM
Gardner McKay
Cupcake schedule.

vCash: 2679
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
Is it rare for prospects to develop or is it just me?
What I have found (and this could just be an anomaly) is that if you sign a player to a long term cheap contract, they take longer to develop. If you continuously sign them to 2-3 year contracts, they develop on par. It makes it impossible for you to have any contract steals with younger players. They just don't develop.

An example was I had two 4.5 potential Red Star players.

Player A I signed to a 7 year deal when he was 21 for 2.2 million a year.

Player B I signed to a 2 year deal for 1.4 ish.

After 2 years Player A went from a 71-74.

After 2 years Player B went from 72-81.

This is just one example of many.

What I have done as of late was create two separate saves so next time something similar happens, I can sim each save multiple times to see how much water this actually holds.

10-21-2013, 12:17 PM
Codc

Is there a way to start a Be a GM game with only fake NHL players? By fake, I mean players who are created by the game itself.

Old
10-21-2013, 12:34 PM
jigglysquishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardner McKay View Post
What I have found (and this could just be an anomaly) is that if you sign a player to a long term cheap contract, they take longer to develop. If you continuously sign them to 2-3 year contracts, they develop on par. It makes it impossible for you to have any contract steals with younger players. They just don't develop.

What I have done as of late was create two separate saves so next time something similar happens, I can sim each save multiple times to see how much water this actually holds.
Even at that, it's just plain frustrating. I'm in my 6th LtL season and Barkov, Jones, and MacKinnon all retired. Mac had a career high of 6 points in one season.

The only rookie who broke through was Drouin. On my team (Jets) both Trouba and Scheifele topped out at 82 overall.

Old
10-21-2013, 12:44 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardner McKay View Post

I've noticed that as well. It seems as though the contract determines how the player will develop.

Old
10-21-2013, 03:11 PM
Kezia
Benny

I have yet to draft an NHLer out of the 3rd round or later.

Old
10-21-2013, 03:23 PM
Mkm29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
I've noticed that as well. It seems as though the contract determines how the player will develop.
Is this only in OFFLINE Be a GM? Does it apply for GMC as well?

I'm definitely interested in finding this out for GMConnected. Also do players with a RED star rating regress earlier?

Old
10-21-2013, 03:37 PM
stlblues9

vCash: 9062
What I mean was I'm not getting anyone to develop. I've done probably about 10-15 seasons with the Bruins (simming), started with the original team and then eventually did a rebuild. I drafted a number of prospects with 4, 4.5 stars and only one of them has progressed past 85.

I tried not signing players until they were UFAs at 20-22 and it didn't really work. I drafted a guy who was 73 4.5 red stars and 75 4.5 red stars and signed them right away, the defenseman is still a 73 and the center who I've had playing in the NHL the whole time has just gotten to an 80. I've tried playing them in the AHL for a couple seasons and then bringing them up and that hasn't really worked for me either.

Old
10-21-2013, 04:31 PM
ToppsSmith

I always play offline in Be a GM mode, and always plan to build teams. The thing about building players, is that you need to put them in situations that will build what they need. You may have a player NHL ready, but if they are a playmaker and are going to sit on the 4th line they wont develop. however you put them on the second line with a proven sniper they will become a great player. In my third season as the Jets right now I have Scheifele as a 87 Overall. Tumba is a 85. Tumba I just brought up this year even though I could have played him in the NHL last year, just not with who or where he needed to be. The best way to look at where they need to be to develop I found is check out their stats, not just their over all and above each place is their potential in stars with that place. Place players on lines with other players that will complement their growth and watch their over all's skyrocket. Sometimes its best to keep a good player in the AHL and bring up weaker players because they fit who you need to develop. Computer auto line changes will kill you so be ready to make your own lines, and be ready to put in extra time on sim mode for this. Also some prospects wont get the boost until the age of 25 or 26. Don't give up on a guy just because he hasn't moved in a few seasons, it will come if you do it right. Also what the other guy said about contracts helps out a lot too. Don't know why but it does. What I try to do is Mix grinders and Enforcers, Power Forwards and 2 Way Forwards, Snipers and Playmakers. They seam to complement eachother. As for defence I like to just make sure I am not playing two of the type together. I have to say, that this is just what I have noticed and it isn't in anyway proven. Hope this helps people out.

Old
10-21-2013, 04:41 PM
Kezia
Benny

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
What I mean was I'm not getting anyone to develop. I've done probably about 10-15 seasons with the Bruins (simming), started with the original team and then eventually did a rebuild. I drafted a number of prospects with 4, 4.5 stars and only one of them has progressed past 85.

I tried not signing players until they were UFAs at 20-22 and it didn't really work. I drafted a guy who was 73 4.5 red stars and 75 4.5 red stars and signed them right away, the defenseman is still a 73 and the center who I've had playing in the NHL the whole time has just gotten to an 80. I've tried playing them in the AHL for a couple seasons and then bringing them up and that hasn't really worked for me either.
Yup.

Red star = 5% chance of being an NHLer
Yellow star = 10% chance of being an NHLer and 50% chance of turning red
Green star = 20% chance of being an NHLer

Im having a hard time getting any prospect to grow.

Ive done around 20 seasons and ive never had a prospect ive drafted become a top 6 forward or high end top 4 dman.

Old
10-21-2013, 05:34 PM
ToppsSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Yup.

Red star = 5% chance of being an NHLer
Yellow star = 10% chance of being an NHLer and 50% chance of turning red
Green star = 20% chance of being an NHLer

I just started a 6th round draft pick in my opening draft, (The original left overs for 2013 draft) as a 1st line maybe its a fluke at 2.5 yellow stars 83 overall but he is there on RW

Have you done the tuner update? it fixes the prospects dropping.

Old
10-21-2013, 07:09 PM
n00bxQb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkm29 View Post
Is this only in OFFLINE Be a GM? Does it apply for GMC as well?

I'm definitely interested in finding this out for GMConnected. Also do players with a RED star rating regress earlier?

That's for offline BAGM.

In GM Connected, with a few exceptions, players typically gain 2-5 OVR each offseason until they hit their peak at age 25, where they generally end up in a set range depending on their potential.

I've compiled results over 9 seasons for over 2000 prospects (and counting) in a test GMC league and posted them here.

The fictional players tend to grow faster, but also seem to top out at a lower OVR.

Old
10-21-2013, 07:36 PM
RussianRocket10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Mandelbaum View Post
Incredible dive by Handzus. 10/10

Old
10-21-2013, 09:59 PM
BigNumber1Centre
Heart of Gallagher

I usually play on all-star difficulty (or whatever the second highest is), and I usually outshoot the AI 30+ to less than 10 and I'm winning a bit less than 50% of the games but I'm seeing a lot of 1-0 or 2-1 games. If I move up to Superstar is they a way to tone down the AI goalie's ability to not get destroyed?

Old
10-22-2013, 12:52 AM
Gumballthechewy
Chew On Me!

Is there a way to get the pre-order bonus gear or are you just SOL if you didn't pre-order?

Old
10-22-2013, 06:40 AM
ToppsSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumber1Centre View Post
I usually play on all-star difficulty (or whatever the second highest is), and I usually outshoot the AI 30+ to less than 10 and I'm winning a bit less than 50% of the games but I'm seeing a lot of 1-0 or 2-1 games. If I move up to Superstar is they a way to tone down the AI goalie's ability to not get destroyed?
EA's sliders are awful. You can change those in offline mode. I play home games in my GM mode usually and they outshoot me with close games.

Old
10-22-2013, 01:48 PM
BigNumber1Centre
Heart of Gallagher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToppsSmith View Post
EA's sliders are awful. You can change those in offline mode. I play home games in my GM mode usually and they outshoot me with close games.
Ok thanks I will try!

Old
10-22-2013, 02:30 PM
ConoR187

Send a message via AIM to ConoR187
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bxQb View Post
That's for offline BAGM.

In GM Connected, with a few exceptions, players typically gain 2-5 OVR each offseason until they hit their peak at age 25, where they generally end up in a set range depending on their potential.

I've compiled results over 9 seasons for over 2000 prospects (and counting) in a test GMC league and posted them here.

The fictional players tend to grow faster, but also seem to top out at a lower OVR.
Was ur study done pre or post patch?

Closed Thread