HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Andreychuk night - GDT 12/5 vs Buffalo

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2006, 08:51 PM
NickHanson

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NickHanson
Briere with the hat trick.. good job tonight guys.

Old
12-05-2006, 09:12 PM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

Send a message via AIM to Butchered
This complete lack of even a mediocre powerplay is going to absolutely bury this team. I'm beyond trading players, I'm beyond being upset with losses.

It is a complete joke that they aren't making any changes. A complete JOKE. How can they even have a straight face when they get a PP?

Old
12-05-2006, 09:13 PM
Maria

Only one goal

Our penalty kill was great, our power play on the other hand

Why does Brad get a free pass from the coach,the media, and some of his fans? if it was #4 or any other guy the story would be a lot different.

Old
12-05-2006, 09:25 PM
Kristia
Old folks home..

vCash: 8541
Awards:
*sigh*

12-05-2006, 09:56 PM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

12/5 (Buffalo) 5 PP, 0 goals.
12/2 (Sens) 5 PP, 0 goals.
11/30 (Boston) 6 PP, 0 goals.
11/29 (Caps) 7 PP, 0 goals

23 powerplays in 4 games with ZERO goals to show for it. That is beyond pathetic. I don't care what other teams went however many chances without a goal. Those are beyond inexcuseable numbers.

Old
12-05-2006, 10:47 PM
Tokala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderworks View Post
This complete lack of even a mediocre powerplay is going to absolutely bury this team. I'm beyond trading players, I'm beyond being upset with losses.

It is a complete joke that they aren't making any changes. A complete JOKE. How can they even have a straight face when they get a PP?
To quote a great leader: "Stay the course".

Old
12-06-2006, 09:02 AM
IcePalace

Quote:
12/5 (Buffalo) 5 PP, 0 goals.
12/2 (Sens) 5 PP, 0 goals.
11/30 (Boston) 6 PP, 0 goals.
11/29 (Caps) 7 PP, 0 goals

23 powerplays in 4 games with ZERO goals to show for it. That is beyond pathetic. I don't care what other teams went however many chances without a goal. Those are beyond inexcuseable numbers.
We're simply not taking shots. No one takes enough shots. They pass it too slowly and predictably and don't get the second and third shot in.

No one hits (except for that major one by Tarnasky ). On the plus side it was nice to see a traditional old school fight by Roy. They actually got into stances and taunted before kicking each other's *****! Glad to have him back, maybe he can jumpstart us. At least he showed some emotion.

Vinny scores. Nothing new. I don't see why so many think he'll be traded, he's the only one who's scored in all of the last four games (5 points, 4 goals). Perrin and Prospal are tied for second but only because Prospal assisted on three of Lecavalier's goals. Perrin had 2 goals and an assist.

It's sad that Lecavalier is finally becoming consistent and no one else is. As for Prospal's help, well I'm sad to say it but I think he could get help elsewhere. Honestly, with the way things have been going, I'd change the lines up a little bit.

This might seem a little crazy, but hear me out.

Feds - Lecavalier - Alexeev
Marty - Taylor - Perrin
Tarnasky - Richards - Roy

I say maybe try putting Feds back with Lecavalier. They used to work together, why not try it again. Possibly put St. Louis back there to try to recapture the magic from the middle of the season? Then Feds could be bumped down to beef up the second line.

Speaking of the second line, I know it's weak up front, but I like the way Perrin and Marty play together, and despite not scoring a goal Taylor has been really good at getting the puck out from behind the net. Combine that with Marty's and Perrin's ability to score from in close just next to the slot and you might have something there. I swaped Marty to LW. He seems to have been playing there somewhat lately and I like him on that side with Perrin in RW.

Also, as an added benefit, Richards learns that he's not the top man anymore and might actually have to work and not make stupid defensive plays like he did last night. I am still pissed about that one. It's sad to know that Briere was going to get a hat trick in the first period—even sadder that some hats were actually thrown when they were away—when he didn't score the third goal for two more periods!

On the third line, maybe Richards wouldn't be so afraid to shoot the puck if he had some henchmen to help keep people off of him and collect the puck when he misses. They can also help to save Richards from making stupid defensive plays by hitting the s*** out of someone who steals the puck.

It's a crazy idea but it just might work. Even though we're doing better this season, it feels like we've taken a giant step back in effort. I don't know where all of the grit and energy from the stanley cup finals went. That was an entirely different team I guess. Maybe the lockout stole it? In any case, we need to find that. I'm hoping Roy is able to ignite some of that passion. Did you notice that the team was all smiles after his fight? It helped for a bit. They held the Sabres at bay for a while but then, I guess, they forgot about it.

If they'd only hit people. They're probably too afraid to though. The "new NHL" is supposed to make hockey fun and exciting to watch. Let them hit! It leads to exciting breakaways! If you even touch a guy in the "new NHL" you get a penalty. They should still take the chance. Where has the hip-check gone? Last I heard it's not illegal. I've seen many a play when a hip-check was entirely possible before someone entered the defensive zone to score on us. Sarich et al, I'm talking to you. Throw a f'in hit damnit! No one on our defense is willing to hit. That's sad.

Last edited by IcePalace: 12-06-2006 at 09:09 AM.
Old
12-06-2006, 09:47 AM
Maria

Jay would be insane if he trades the one guy that is actually showing up every game. Everybody talks about how Vinny and Marty could be traded, but what about Richards?? i rather have a 31 year old that plays with heart every single game, than the 2nd highest player, who gets free passes from his coach and the media, disgusting....

Old
12-06-2006, 02:50 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria View Post
Jay would be insane if he trades the one guy that is actually showing up every game. Everybody talks about how Vinny and Marty could be traded, but what about Richards?? i rather have a 31 year old that plays with heart every single game, than the 2nd highest player, who gets free passes from his coach and the media, disgusting....

Richards goes nowhere, period. There isn't a GM in the known galaxy who would take that contract. He would be my number one healthy scratch for tomorrow night's game. I wouldn't even let him sit on the bench. I'll take my chances with Affy (who at least looks like he cares). Right now Brad Richards looks like the most overated professional athelete of all time in my view. He stinks and we are stuck with him for years to come because he will never be traded. He has been just awful.

Old
12-06-2006, 07:15 PM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

Trying not to sound too dramatic here, but I feel the Richards deal killed this team. Let's talk in what ifs for a second.

Brad Richards is on pace for 68 points@7 mil a season. I think he'll finish somewhere between 70 and 80, but let's just say he doesn't.

Selanne is on pace for 96@3.75
Jason Blake is on pace for 85@1.5
Legwand is on pace for 63@1.65

Grand total of 244 points for 6.9 million.

Obviously these are projections, and I'm not suggesting we had a chance at these players, I just randomly picked 3 guys to fit within Brad's contract.

I'd MUCH rather have 3 guys who can score even 40-50 points a season for 7 mil than one guy who seemingly won't touch 100 points. Depth is so beyond key in this state of the league, and this team took a giant crap all over that concept. It doesn't do you any good to trade for a goalie when you can't give him any help. I feel bad for Ramo if he gets to Tampa full time and the team is still in this shape. He'd be better off playing in the AHL.

I was OK with Lecavalier money. He's been called the face of the franchise, and that alone deserves his pay, not to even mention his ridiculously high ability level when he brings it like we all know he can. St. Louis isn't too bad, but only when you factor out the other two high contracts. He probably has a better chance of leading the team in points than either of Richards or Lecavalier do. When you add all these contracts together, you're looking at 3 guys who need to put a hell of a lot of point on the board. Not to justify their contracts, but to win the damn games. For each 6 and 7 million dollar player, there are quite possibly 2 more players that could have fit under each guy. None of them might have been as talented. None of them might have been able to pull off pretty little tic tac toe passing plays once a season that make us all go ooooh and ahhhh.

But maybe, just maybe, those 2 or 3 guys could have quietly put up 20 goals a pop, and 30 assists a piece. All for the same cost of a guy who gives up on plays, leaves the ice before anyone else during warmups, and consistently shows he doesn't really care how poorly he plays, he already made his money.

Old
12-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Tokala

Quote:
Trying not to sound too dramatic here, but I feel the Richards deal killed this team. Let's talk in what ifs for a second.

Brad Richards is on pace for 68 points@7 mil a season. I think he'll finish somewhere between 70 and 80, but let's just say he doesn't.

Selanne is on pace for 96@3.75
Jason Blake is on pace for 85@1.5
Legwand is on pace for 63@1.65

Grand total of 244 points for 6.9 million.

Obviously these are projections, and I'm not suggesting we had a chance at these players, I just randomly picked 3 guys to fit within Brad's contract.

I'd MUCH rather have 3 guys who can score even 40-50 points a season for 7 mil than one guy who seemingly won't touch 100 points. Depth is so beyond key in this state of the league, and this team took a giant crap all over that concept. It doesn't do you any good to trade for a goalie when you can't give him any help. I feel bad for Ramo if he gets to Tampa full time and the team is still in this shape. He'd be better off playing in the AHL.

I was OK with Lecavalier money. He's been called the face of the franchise, and that alone deserves his pay, not to even mention his ridiculously high ability level when he brings it like we all know he can. St. Louis isn't too bad, but only when you factor out the other two high contracts. He probably has a better chance of leading the team in points than either of Richards or Lecavalier do. When you add all these contracts together, you're looking at 3 guys who need to put a hell of a lot of point on the board. Not to justify their contracts, but to win the damn games. For each 6 and 7 million dollar player, there are quite possibly 2 more players that could have fit under each guy. None of them might have been as talented. None of them might have been able to pull off pretty little tic tac toe passing plays once a season that make us all go ooooh and ahhhh.

But maybe, just maybe, those 2 or 3 guys could have quietly put up 20 goals a pop, and 30 assists a piece. All for the same cost of a guy who gives up on plays, leaves the ice before anyone else during warmups, and consistently shows he doesn't really care how poorly he plays, he already made his money.
Interesting analysis, but is it really Richards' problem? Seems like Feaster and Torts screwed the pooch on this "sentimental contract negotiations with the trinity".

Old
12-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

Oh of course not. I don't fault him for the contract at all. If someone offers me a big raise, I'm taking it. He just took what was offered to him. Can't blame the guy for that. I guess it does sound like I'm sour at Richards, and I guess to an extent I am, but it's more at the way this team is being run, and not at any specific player. Richards is just the easiest target, when you compare his production to his contract.

Old
12-06-2006, 07:42 PM
Tokala

Quote:
Oh of course not. I don't fault him for the contract at all. If someone offers me a big raise, I'm taking it. He just took what was offered to him. Can't blame the guy for that. I guess it does sound like I'm sour at Richards, and I guess to an extent I am, but it's more at the way this team is being run, and not at any specific player. Richards is just the easiest target, when you compare his production to his contract.
I agree. The same things have been said about Lecavalier and St. Louis for over a year now. Heck, I know I griped about those 2 and their fat contracts and mediocre performance.

I see a slow comprehension dawning on people that the GM has done his share to put this team in it's predicament.

Old
12-06-2006, 08:00 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
leaves the ice before anyone else during warmups
Come on. He was doing the same thing last year and no one complained. Heck, I saw Lecavalier being the last one off the ice at games last year and no one was giving him a break "well at least he stayed the entire time for warm ups". I don't think leaving early during warm ups has anything to do with his play lately. I don't think staying a few extra minutes out there is going to get him to play better. It seems like a reach for criticizing him. I'm not going to sit here and defend Richards' play because I don't think anyone should or can defend it outside of a possible injury(which I don't think is the case). I think Brad is going through the same things Marty and Vinny were going through. He's got a big contract and is pressing to try to live up to it, gripping the stick too tight. That's my only theory as to why he's played bad. I don't think Richards is a guy who is just out for money and now that he has it is just going to float the rest of his career. After he signed that deal in 03, he improved his numbers and eventually won the conn smyth. I'm pretty confident in him that he's going to get out of this eventually. Is it frustrating? Heck yeah it is because we all know he can be one of the best playmakers in the league when he's at the top of his game. I remember reading a story a few years ago where he had sleepless nights when he went through bad slumps so I think you saying he doesn't care is off base. Something is needed to get him back on his game, I'm not sure what but I hope that thing is found soon.

Old
12-06-2006, 08:51 PM
IcePalace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
Come on. He was doing the same thing last year and no one complained. Heck, I saw Lecavalier being the last one off the ice at games last year and no one was giving him a break "well at least he stayed the entire time for warm ups". I don't think leaving early during warm ups has anything to do with his play lately. I don't think staying a few extra minutes out there is going to get him to play better. It seems like a reach for criticizing him. I'm not going to sit here and defend Richards' play because I don't think anyone should or can defend it outside of a possible injury(which I don't think is the case). I think Brad is going through the same things Marty and Vinny were going through. He's got a big contract and is pressing to try to live up to it, gripping the stick too tight. That's my only theory as to why he's played bad. I don't think Richards is a guy who is just out for money and now that he has it is just going to float the rest of his career. After he signed that deal in 03, he improved his numbers and eventually won the conn smyth. I'm pretty confident in him that he's going to get out of this eventually. Is it frustrating? Heck yeah it is because we all know he can be one of the best playmakers in the league when he's at the top of his game. I remember reading a story a few years ago where he had sleepless nights when he went through bad slumps so I think you saying he doesn't care is off base. Something is needed to get him back on his game, I'm not sure what but I hope that thing is found soon.
I wholeheartedly agree!

Old
12-07-2006, 03:30 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokala View Post
Interesting analysis, but is it really Richards' problem? Seems like Feaster and Torts screwed the pooch on this "sentimental contract negotiations with the trinity".

Oh boy is that a true statement.

Old
12-07-2006, 03:33 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
He is the easiest target because he sucks, plain and simple. I don't blame him for taking the contract either but he hasn't lived up to his contact from last year, let alone double that and more for this year. He had better wake up from his stuper soon because this team is in serious trouble.

Old
12-07-2006, 03:51 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
I agree with all of this BUT, he is not playing like he gives a damn right now. Richards is not the fastest guy in the world but it seems like he is playing in slow motion lately. And I am sorry but the defensive lapse (that's being kind) that led to the shorty Washington had and that horrible display of stick handling the other night that led to Buffalo's third goal of the period effect the whole team and they are not plays by a player who is slumping they are made by a player who 1) doesn't care or 2) forgot basics of hockey. When the puck pops out of your offensive end during a PP you run your *** off to track it down, Richards tried long arming it without even moving his feet. When you recover the puck in your own end and someone is hounding you skate towards the boards, not into the slot with the puck on your backhand. It's not like he is working his *** off and hitting posts and just missing passes, he is mentally breaking down at crucial points in games and deflating a team that looks up to him. Yes, Brad Richards is a major reason the Lightning are where they are right now but not just because of his poor play. His emotionless attitude wears on other as well, I'm sure. And it doesn't help when a guy like Ranger makes a mistake and gets benched for 2 and a half periods but Richards is allowed to get away with what he gets away with and still get 23 minutes a night. So yea, if I were he I'd lose sleep too because as Richards goes, so go the Lightning and right now that is into the toilet.

Old
12-07-2006, 07:50 PM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

I made a comment almost exactly like that on the TBO.com blog about Ranger getting benched, but I guess I didn't kiss enough Bolt *** to get it approved.

I said the only way it would have been ok to bench Ranger is if Richards had been benched for his totally BS play on that shorty in Washington.

This attitude and level of play MIGHT, MIGHT, MIGHT have been overlooked if he was still making a decent salary. He's the second highest paid player in the league, and he's playing/acting like the lowest.

Yeah, it's a double standard, but when he accepted that contract, he also accepted EVERYTHING that comes along with it, including double standards, harsher judging, and MUCH higher expectations.

Old
12-07-2006, 11:27 PM
Tokala

That's weird because I said something very similar and it's the first comment on the blog for that day?

Closed Thread