HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Streit as a forward

Old
12-08-2006, 12:32 AM
Slick Nick

vCash: 500
Streit as a forward

I'm really impressed with Streit's play on the fourth line. He's quite good in the corners, has a very good hockey sense, skates well, is very reliable defensively... he also appears to be someone that works hard and that wants to play at the highest level, wherever the coach uses him.

If consistency is there, I would love to have him as a regular fouth liner... he's a whole lot better than Muray and Downey, while being an intersting asset in case of major penalty due to fighting by one of our D, or in case of injury. He's also a good PP point player, and it seems that he has a few good moves on SO.

I don't see how Crabs could throw him in the press box with the way he played this year, it would be absolutely unfair.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 12:38 AM
Ross MacLochness

Yea it's pretty obvious he's much better at forward even strength than on D.

But when Higgins gets back, I don't know if we'll see him up front again. Just no room. I think he's in a battle with Boullion for #6. Boullion has some impressive stretches, but losses focus often and can quickly become worse than useless.

--Actually, I miss-counted. It could still work out possibly.

Higgins-Koivu-Kovalev
Samsonov-Plekanec-Ryder
Perezhogin-Bonk-Johnson
Latendresse-Begin-Streit

Murray/Downey

Markov-Komisarek
Souray-Rivet
Boullion-Dandenault

Niinimaa.

Plus injuries here and there. It could work.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 12:38 AM
Guy Caballero

Me too. I like him better as a forward than as a defenseman. I also like the fact that we have two guys (three counting Rivet) that can play both positions if they need to.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 12:41 AM
Stradale

When Higgins will be back, i rather see him on the 4th line than Garth Murray.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dylan

Send a message via MSN to dylan
just think, hes just starting out as a forward. a few more games on that position i think he will even improve more. hes been great so far.

dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip Slidin' Slim View Post

But when Higgins gets back, I don't know if we'll see him up front again. Just no room. I think he's in a battle with Boullion for #6. Boullion has some impressive stretches, but losses focus often and can quickly become worse than useless.
isnt there room if Murray and Downey are in the press box?

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 12:42 AM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
isnt there room if Murray and Downey are in the press box?
edited.

Old
12-08-2006, 01:10 AM
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip Slidin' Slim View Post

--Actually, I miss-counted. It could still work out possibly.

Higgins-Koivu-Kovalev
Samsonov-Plekanec-Ryder
Perezhogin-Bonk-Johnson
Latendresse-Begin-Streit

Murray/Downey

Markov-Komisarek
Souray-Rivet
Boullion-Dandenault

Niinimaa.

Plus injuries here and there. It could work.
i think that latendresse must play on one of the top two lines to be effective . i also think that higgins will be centering the second line when he returns because plekanec has proven that he is not top line material so he will probably drop to the fourth to center streit and begin . this imo will give us four strong lines that we could roll game in game out and give us an offence similar to that of buffalo . if gainey can upgrade the number four slot on defence , then a deep play-off run isn't out of the question .

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 01:35 AM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan44 View Post
i think that latendresse must play on one of the top two lines to be effective . i also think that higgins will be centering the second line when he returns because plekanec has proven that he is not top line material so he will probably drop to the fourth to center streit and begin . this imo will give us four strong lines that we could roll game in game out and give us an offence similar to that of buffalo . if gainey can upgrade the number four slot on defence , then a deep play-off run isn't out of the question .
But Higgins hasn't proven he can be an effective center in the NHL and until he is even tried at that spot, it's just fan-talk. What we do know, is that Koivu and Higgins are money together, and the Kovalev-Samsonov duo doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

So if Higgins is even tried at center which we don't know he will for sure, and then succeeds for more than couple games, we can start playing around with the lines. But I expect Latendresse to join Begin on the 4th, with some PP time thrown in. It's not a tragedy for him to play with Begin and get some PP time.

Old
12-08-2006, 05:10 AM
koh19

Yes, he's been very impressive as a forward, It must be weird for him, playing his whole career as a dman and suddenly being a forward. I think he's much better than downey and murray.

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 05:54 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan44 View Post
Argh! That bothers me so much! How has he proven that??
Because he couldn't get Samsonov and Kovalev to mesh?

I'm not saying he definitely can cut it as a 2nd line centre, I'm just saying it's impossible to tell since he really hasn't even gotten a chance.
I hope they keep the lines like they had them at the end of the game and then switch Higgins for Lats.
I really think we could see Pleks shine with Higgins and Sammy at his wings.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 06:43 AM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

Based on what I've seen, not only is Streit good enough to play as a forward, I think he might be good enough to play on any line. He cycles the puck well, plays well in the corners, skates fast, hits, reads the play well, makes nice passes, and has a decent slap shot.

He may be more than 4th line material. He was able to create scoring chances for Begin and Murray the past two games and magically made the line a threat. I've said this before, but I'd be curious to see how he'd play with guys who could score, just to know what his limitations are. It might be useful information come next offseason.

Anyway, we have to keep this guy in our lineup long-term. Players as versatile as he is don't come along too often. He's still learning even though he ain't young age-wise. He could be a very important player in a couple of years.

Right now, it's good to know he can fill a hole at D or as a forward. He's inexpensive too, so come this next offseason, if we lose players to free agency, whether at forward or defence, at least we have a guy who has proven that he could play either position in the NHL. An ideal utility player...a wild card.

Streit is the new F.P. Santangelo, only better!

Slew Foots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 06:48 AM
PeteLaframboise

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG87 View Post

PeteLaframboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 07:30 AM
RC51

As it stands now, the current best Lineup the habs can put together might be.

Latendresse/Koivu/Ryder
(Samsonov-Kostitsyn)/Higgins/Kovalev
Perezhogin/Bonk/Johnson
(Samsonov-Kostitsys)/Begin/Striet

When Higgins comes back put him as 2nd center. He was a center almost all his hockey life. Top collage center at that.

Having Striet on the 4th line seems to work well. HAving a 3rd defenceman on the ice is giving the 4th line better possibilities.
If Begin and Streit continue to develop well as Higgins is still hurt then The 4th line can add a pure shooter for offence when Higgins returns.

Keep Lapierre in Hamilton to get max ice time, he is well on the way to become the Habs 4th center soon.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 07:34 AM
BORAT

Streit = Babylon

BORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 07:41 AM
MXD

You guys would rather a play a D-Men on the 4th line?!?!?
I would be considering this, but Cube has been... VERY, VERY bad since coming back from injury.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 07:44 AM
!nkubus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I would be considering this, but Cube has been... VERY, VERY bad since coming back from injury.
Yeah but what Cube need it's ice time so he can get back, the guy have 20 games less played than anybody so give him time.

!nkubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 07:45 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
When Higgins will be back, i rather see him on the 4th line than Garth Murray.
+1

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 07:47 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by !nkubus View Post
Yeah but what Cube need it's ice time so he can get back, the guy have 20 games less played than anybody so give him time.

I agree, give him time to adjust to the game. But with Markov back and Niinimaa playing well the past 2 games I would give Niinimaa a run to see if this good play continues and make our lines:

Dandenault - Begin - Streit

Defense:

Markov - Komisarek
Rivet - Bouillon
Souray - Niinimaa

Just because Rivet plays much better when paired with Cube, at least he has in the past 2 games.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 07:50 AM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG87 View Post
Based on what I've seen, not only is Streit good enough to play as a forward, I think he might be good enough to play on any line. He cycles the puck well, plays well in the corners, skates fast, hits, reads the play well, makes nice passes, and has a decent slap shot.

He may be more than 4th line material. He was able to create scoring chances for Begin and Murray the past two games and magically made the line a threat. I've said this before, but I'd be curious to see how he'd play with guys who could score, just to know what his limitations are. It might be useful information come next offseason.

Anyway, we have to keep this guy in our lineup long-term. Players as versatile as he is don't come along too often. He's still learning even though he ain't young age-wise. He could be a very important player in a couple of years.

Right now, it's good to know he can fill a hole at D or as a forward. He's inexpensive too, so come this next offseason, if we lose players to free agency, whether at forward or defence, at least we have a guy who has proven that he could play either position in the NHL. An ideal utility player...a wild card.

Not only do I agree with this but I think if we cut him some slack when he plays defense he could become heck of an offensive guy, I think he as just as much instinct as Markov... I love when he is paired with Komo and think he could make a fine replacement to Souray.

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 07:55 AM
RC51

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Cube is in his training camp. You have to keep playing him if you want the pre-injury cube back.

in 3 games at 4th line, Streit is playing better then Murray and Downie. Better means better thats it. But remember that some games all hell breaks loose and your regular d-men can end up in the box. Having a 7th D-man available to adjust is always a smart idea. It also puts Streit available for the PP.

IF Streit continues to impress on that 4th line then he is finding a way to help the Habs and help Carbo.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 08:18 AM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti! View Post
Not only do I agree with this but I think if we cut him some slack when he plays defense he could become heck of an offensive guy, I think he as just as much instinct as Markov... I love when he is paired with Komo and think he could make a fine replacement to Souray.
I might get flamed for saying this, but Streit is significantly better playing the point on the PP than Markov. Markov is great on the rush, but on the PP, he often makes ill-advised, wishful passes...when they work, he looks like a genius; but more often than not, they lead to useless turnovers on the PP. He also tends to take floating wristers from the point instead of low, hard drives.

I think Streit played very well at D this year too. I think his future will depend on what this team's needs will be...that's what makes his versatility enticing. If we lose one or two D-men to free agency, then expect him to play as a defenceman next year. However, if we can somehow manage to sign to all three (which would be great), then we'll probably need him to step in and fill a spot as a forward (no way we can re-sign all our forwards and defencemen and fit under the cap).

Slew Foots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 08:45 AM
VanNistelrooy

Why don't call up Lappierre and Ferland, to play on the fourth line ? Then just waive Murray.

VanNistelrooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 09:24 AM
MXD

Streit... Let's face it, has been the 5th best D-Men on this team so far.

And they're playing him on the 4th line?!

Wake up Carbs, Bouillon is playing like crap since he came back. Maybe he just needs time to re-adapt, but right now, Streit is better than him at D. The same thing could be said for Dandenault.

Old
12-08-2006, 09:27 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post

in 3 games at 4th line, Streit is playing better then Murray and Downie. Better means better thats it. But remember that some games all hell breaks loose and your regular d-men can end up in the box. .
3/4 of the Dogs would play better than Murray...
Anyways... I just think the Habs would be better with Dandy at forward and Streit with Bouillon.