HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Infirmary [UPD: Gazdic (Shoulder), Petry (Shoulder), Ference (Arm)]

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2013, 11:57 AM
Psychoil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Taylor Hall has flown back to Edmonton for further medical examination. Per Oilers, Principe, and Ireland.
why would he go to edmonton and Ireland? just seems weird he'd got to Europe for medical examination too...

Old
10-20-2013, 12:06 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
why would he go to edmonton and Ireland? just seems weird he'd got to Europe for medical examination too...
not sure if serious

Old
10-20-2013, 12:09 PM
Baggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
Lucky charms?

Old
10-20-2013, 12:16 PM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch101 View Post
Talk about a Knee jerking reaction ....
Gene Principe, is that you?

Old
10-20-2013, 12:43 PM
DarkSaturn

vCash: 350
Lupus.

Lupus of the knee.

Old
10-20-2013, 12:50 PM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Hall will be out for a couple weeks minimum...guaranteed

Old
10-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Evets 81

Remember Zack Stortini a few years ago in a fight where his leg bent almost completely in an opposite direction from what it was supposed to and everyone was reacting similarly to they are now? ("Knees aren't supposed to bend like that!" "Done for the season!") He was only out of the lineup for a couple weeks or something.

Not saying Hall will bounce back like that, but we can't push the panic button until his medical examination reports are given to us. Could be bad, could be minor, we don't know. We can all hope it is minor and he is only out a couple weeks, but we sadly don't have x-ray vision to look inside his knee from our screens.

Old
10-20-2013, 02:34 PM
Mav3rick07
Hall-Hopkins-Yakupov

Typical Oiler fan reaction : Career ending injury. Will never play or walk again.

Realistic approach: Tried to play after, didn't leave on stretcher or need crutches after game. Can only hope for the best.

Old
10-20-2013, 02:55 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Was anybody else a little bit annoyed with the long time delay in getting to the Taylor Hall update on the game telecast and the false leader tagging going on?

Period ends, telecast states they will come back immediately after commercial break for news on Taylor Hall injury. Telecast then switches to Ottawa feed content after the longest commercial break I've seen. No mention of Taylor Hall whatsoever until before the next commercial break where they state they will immediately come back to update on Taylor Hall. They instead come back to update scores and play around the league. As a viewer I can't help note I was blatantly lied to 3 times. What is this Fox network? What is this a Geraldo Rivera telecast?

Finally, they play the Principe segment updating news on the Taylor Hall injury. This being at the end of the period intermission.

Its funny that I KNEW this was going to be viewer manipulation and it was. Its despicable imo that a telecast manipulates viewers to stick around through all the commercial breaks and not switch dial while fans have concern about an injury to a star player.

Kind of below the belt editorial and reporting priority in the telecast imo. hard to justify switching to the Ottawa feed and giving that priority timing when the other clubs star player is down with injury ant that impending update was falsely pre announced 3 times. Absolute clown nonsense and SNET getting worse and worse at product delivery.

Last edited by Replacement: 10-20-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old
10-20-2013, 03:03 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 168
Will give more opportunities for other wingers.

hopefully Joensuu comes back to solidify our winger depth a bit

Old
10-20-2013, 03:04 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Was anybody else a little bit annoyed with the long time delay in getting to the Taylor Hall update on the game telecast and the false leader tagging going on?

Period ends, telecast states they will come back immediately after commercial break for news on Taylor Hall injury. Telecast then switches to Ottawa feed content after the longest commercial break I've seen. No mention of Taylor Hall whatsoever until before the next commercial break where they state they will immediately come back to update on Taylor Hall. They instead come back to update scores and play around the league. As a viewer I can't help note I was blatantly lied to 3 times. What is this Fox network? What is this a Geraldo Rivera telecast?

Finally, they play the Principe segment updating news on the Taylor Hall injury. This being at the end of the period intermission.

Its funny that I KNEW this was going to be viewer manipulation and it was. Its despicable imo that a telecast manipulates viewers to stick around through all the commercial breaks and not switch dial while fans have concern about an injury to a star player.

Kind of below the belt editorial and reporting priority in the telecast imo. hard to justify switching to the Ottawa feed and giving that priority timing when the other clubs star player is down with injury ant that impending update was falsely pre announced 3 times. Absolute clown nonsense and SNET getting worse and worse at product delivery.
"There's a common, everyday fruit that could kill you. Find out what it is, after these messages."

Old
10-20-2013, 03:17 PM
Phillybean

I'm not a doctor so won't comment on how long he will be out for, but we do have 7 top 6 forwards, possibly 8 if you include Arcobello.

Yak Nuge Eberle
Perron Arcobello Hemsky

Gagner replaces Arcobello when he comes back.

Hall is our best player, but unlike previous years where we had no one to step into top 6 minutes, we do now.

Old
10-20-2013, 03:21 PM
Slicknitty
i cry to sleep

vCash: 391
it sucks tho. it might not be a very serious injury but he's had a few injuries already in his hockey career. they're starting to pile up and he's not even 22 yet. le sigh. we will find out soon enough if he's gumby in a human disguise, or........just a mere mortal.

Old
10-20-2013, 03:21 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post
"There's a common, everyday fruit that could kill you. Find out what it is, after these messages."
You may even be eating it right now. Find out what it is, after the break.

Old
10-20-2013, 03:24 PM
Mr Sakich

Quote:

congratulations. It isn't easy to find a new reason to loathe this organization. You almost have to make it a full time job.

Old
10-20-2013, 03:31 PM
Slicknitty
i cry to sleep

vCash: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
congratulations. It isn't easy to find a new reason to loathe this organization. You almost have to make it a full time job.
Not really. Not for the Oilers organization. A blind guy can see how awful it is from a mile away.

Old
10-20-2013, 03:37 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
What? He's not even talking about the Oilers. His criticism is aimed at Sportsnet.

Old
10-20-2013, 03:44 PM
Del Preston
Kevin Lowe

vCash: 50
Quote:

It's typical Sportsnet, everything they do is bush league. Just be happy Gene's microphone was working when he gave the update.

Old
10-20-2013, 03:52 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

^TV stations are well aware people channel surf during commercials so they say anything to get you to watch so they don't lose their advertiser. I suppose I can't blame them, and really, can you live without CLR descaler or an A and W teen burger with no growth hormones added? mmmm....could use one right now while I descale the bathtub stain....

Old
10-20-2013, 03:54 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 590
Quote:

Haha. I always picture you as Walter Sobchak whenever I read one of your rants. "Over the line! This naked aggression shall not stand! SHUT THE **** UP, DONNY!"

More zen, Replacement. Need way more zen.

Old
10-20-2013, 04:08 PM
Cawz

Quote:

I think they switched to SN East or Ontario for the intermission, so SN west may not have much of a choice to wait until the start of the 3rd to report anything

Old
10-20-2013, 04:13 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:

I've got my own issues with Sportsnet. I was annoyed as hell last week when they pre-empted game one of the NLCS in order to show the flames game on Sportnet west. Sportsnet One was showing a REPLAY of the England/Macedonia World Cup Qualifying game at the same time. I sent an email asking why they wouldn't show the hockey game on the Sportnet flames channel like they had shown the Oilers game on the Sportnet Oilers channel the night before and left the baseball game alone. They couldn't be bothered to respond to me. Completely bush league.

Old
10-20-2013, 04:41 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
Haha. I always picture you as Walter Sobchak whenever I read one of your rants. "Over the line! This naked aggression shall not stand! SHUT THE **** UP, DONNY!"

More zen, Replacement. Need way more zen.
I think it possible you may have ignored my preamble to rant, "A little bit annoyed". I should have stated "a tad, wee bit, kind of piddly somewhat annoyed"

I just found it interesting that a regional broadcaster was comfortable lying to viewers and putting itself in Gerald Rivera type incredibility. Its their own competency problem.

I thought it poor form as well considering this was concerning news on a star injured player.

Now I'll adopt the Walter Sobchak "Is there a line" if this behavior occurred in context of a more serious Taylor Hall injury (assuming this one isn't) such as say him being rammed head first into the boards and unconscious and unmoving would we then have a right to complain? Because I think SNet would've handled this just as ineptly in such an instance. I don't have faith they would give it appropriate consideration. Its just the Oilers..

Last edited by Replacement: 10-20-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old
10-20-2013, 04:45 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
I think they switched to SN East or Ontario for the intermission, so SN west may not have much of a choice to wait until the start of the 3rd to report anything
One of my specific concerns was the switch as stated. There could be no valid priority reason in context for a broadcast decision to switch all feeds to an alternate carrier when it impacts PRIORITY news regarding potential serious injury of a key, star Oiler player.

This is basically Snet telling us we don't matter as a market, they don't care, give em crackers, Quinn, and Principe, they'll swallow up the dreck.

The switch was part and parcel of really poor delivery.

Last edited by Replacement: 10-20-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old
10-20-2013, 06:23 PM
ohheyhemsky

Nothing yet?

Closed Thread