HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

General Discussion (Team/Player/Trade Rumors/Speculation/News), Part III

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-20-2013, 12:14 PM
  #301
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southampton, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 37,657
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Rich Chere ‏@Ledger_NJDevils 1m
Cory Schneider will start in Columbus

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline  
Old
10-20-2013, 12:18 PM
  #302
Fayne Staley
Deboer is great
 
Fayne Staley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Queens
Country: United States
Posts: 11,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
Rich Chere ‏@Ledger_NJDevils 1m
Cory Schneider will start in Columbus
well that clears that up

pete finally makes a smart decision

Fayne Staley is offline  
Old
10-20-2013, 12:22 PM
  #303
Devils Trap
Cory's Better
 
Devils Trap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country:
Posts: 23,500
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 37s
Brodeur told Schneider during the Devils' game that the Sox were leading 4-0 (they weren't). Said he wanted him thinking positive

lol

Devils Trap is offline  
Old
10-20-2013, 12:38 PM
  #304
Emperoreddy
Moderator
King of Pirates
 
Emperoreddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Jersey, Exit 16E
Country: United States
Posts: 11,920
vCash: 500
Also Brunner is actually hurt so kill that rumor.

Emperoreddy is online now  
Old
10-20-2013, 12:56 PM
  #305
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party
 
Chessarmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
Stephen Gionta is an AHL forward being asked to do more than he's capable of, when we have NHL forwards asked to do nothing. Lou needs to trade Gionta away so that DeBoer can stop abusing him, just like when we needed to let Madden go so that Sutter would stop abusing Madden.
Horrible idea, CBGB are doing a fantastic job of swinging the momentum our way during games. They seem to have found their chemistry again as a 4th line, you don't ruin that by trading away a key cog to that line.

Sorry folks, but Gionta is better than Josefson and makes more of an impact on the ice than any of the other scratched forwards. Given how well CBGB are playing, you absolutely DO NOT break them up. I'd even say they are essential to this team's success and are vastly underrated on here as a group.

Chessarmy is offline  
Old
10-20-2013, 01:02 PM
  #306
trufleshufle13
Registered User
 
trufleshufle13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Albany
Posts: 698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessarmy View Post
Horrible idea, CBGB are doing a fantastic job of swinging the momentum our way during games. They seem to have found their chemistry again as a 4th line, you don't ruin that by trading away a key cog to that line.

Sorry folks, but Gionta is better than Josefson and makes more of an impact on the ice than any of the other scratched forwards. Given how well CBGB are playing, you absolutely DO NOT break them up. I'd even say they are essential to this team's success and are vastly underrated on here as a group.
It's refreshing to see someone finally agree with this.

trufleshufle13 is offline  
Old
10-20-2013, 01:07 PM
  #307
EliasR8
Brendan Shanahan!
 
EliasR8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 11,519
vCash: 1050
He only agrees because for some reason he hates Josefson

EliasR8 is online now  
Old
10-20-2013, 01:08 PM
  #308
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southampton, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 37,657
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Gionta is not a better hockey player than Josefson

I am not really sure how that is even debatable.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline  
Old
10-20-2013, 01:08 PM
  #309
Fayne Staley
Deboer is great
 
Fayne Staley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Queens
Country: United States
Posts: 11,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
Gionta is not a better hockey player than Josefson

I am not really sure how that is even debatable.

I don't get it either. He's the Harrold of the forward group aka pete's pet.

Fayne Staley is offline  
Old
10-20-2013, 01:14 PM
  #310
trufleshufle13
Registered User
 
trufleshufle13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Albany
Posts: 698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayne Staley View Post

I don't get it either. He's the Harrold of the forward group aka pete's pet.

I know it's not worth it because everyone's mind here was made up before the season started. Nothing is going to change it.

But I always wondered why Carter gets a pass from everyone here. Gionta does more than him and contributes defensively while bringing the energy and forechecking.

trufleshufle13 is offline  
Old
10-20-2013, 01:16 PM
  #311
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southampton, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 37,657
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Gionta is not a good defensive player. I am not sure why some of our fans think he is. He is fast and might get a breakaway shorthanded every now and then, that doesnt make him good defensively.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline  
Old
10-20-2013, 01:19 PM
  #312
trufleshufle13
Registered User
 
trufleshufle13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Albany
Posts: 698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
Gionta is not a good defensive player. I am not sure why some of our fans think he is. He is fast and might get a breakaway shorthanded every now and then, that doesnt make him good defensively.

I can play that game too. Yes he is good defensively, not sure what people don't see that.


I've backed it up before with the stats and actual reasoning but I've realized thats not how it works here.

trufleshufle13 is offline  
Old
10-20-2013, 01:20 PM
  #313
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988
 
Classic Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 33,284
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessarmy View Post
Horrible idea, CBGB are doing a fantastic job of swinging the momentum our way during games. They seem to have found their chemistry again as a 4th line, you don't ruin that by trading away a key cog to that line.

Sorry folks, but Gionta is better than Josefson and makes more of an impact on the ice than any of the other scratched forwards. Given how well CBGB are playing, you absolutely DO NOT break them up. I'd even say they are essential to this team's success and are vastly underrated on here as a group.
This just isn't true. That 4th line is going to be good at swinging momentum as long as Carter and Bernier make up two-thirds of it. Gionta isn't a key cog, he's a defensive liability who is not as good as literally any other forward on our roster in that spot.

Classic Devil is offline  
Old
10-20-2013, 01:20 PM
  #314
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party
 
Chessarmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliasR8 View Post
He only agrees because for some reason he hates Josefson
Not true, I just think Gionta is the better option between the two. The only real argument against that is Josefson is younger, well, so what? Gio isn't invisible nightly, and I'll take that over potential any day of the week.

On top of that, CBGB is clicking right now, and you just don't break them up at this point.

I feel that Jacob is the type of player that you plug in when your team is depleted with injuries, I don't think he has what it takes to be an every game player

Chessarmy is offline  
Old
10-20-2013, 01:21 PM
  #315
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988
 
Classic Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 33,284
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trufleshufle13 View Post
I can play that game too. Yes he is good defensively, not sure what people don't see that.


I've backed it up before with the stats and actual reasoning but I've realized thats not how it works here.
What stats suggest Gionta is good defensively? Everything I saw last season (and I haven't been looking too hard this season) indicates that he was not very good at all.

Classic Devil is offline  
Old
10-20-2013, 01:22 PM
  #316
NJDevs26
Moderator
Status quo
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
Gionta is not a better hockey player than Josefson

I am not really sure how that is even debatable.
What has Josefson done the last year plus to make people still believe this?

Yes Gionta has his flaws and gets overexposed but at least he can actually make a positive impact on the fourth line. I haven't seen Josefson have a positive impact in a game since Lemaire.

NJDevs26 is online now  
Old
10-20-2013, 01:22 PM
  #317
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southampton, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 37,657
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by trufleshufle13 View Post
I can play that game too. Yes he is good defensively, not sure what people don't see that.


I've backed it up before with the stats and actual reasoning but I've realized thats not how it works here.
what stats have you backed up Gionta being good defensively with? he just isnt. and thats fine, hes a 4th line career AHLer.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline  
Old
10-20-2013, 01:23 PM
  #318
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southampton, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 37,657
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
What has Josefson done the last year plus to make people still believe this?

Yes Gionta has his flaws and gets overexposed but at least he can actually make a positive impact. I haven't seen Josefson have a positive impact in a game since Lemaire.
if Josefson was used in the role Gionta is, he would.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline  
Old
10-20-2013, 01:24 PM
  #319
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party
 
Chessarmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
This just isn't true. That 4th line is going to be good at swinging momentum as long as Carter and Bernier make up two-thirds of it. Gionta isn't a key cog, he's a defensive liability who is not as good as literally any other forward on our roster in that spot.
A defensive liability that plays on the PK and is on a line that more often than not controls the puck more than the opposition?

You guys need to pay serious attention to all the little things Gionta does during games. He creates scoring chances every single night, and I'm sorry, but I don't buy that CBGB can live on forever without Stephen. It takes three players to make a line work.

Chessarmy is offline  
Old
10-20-2013, 01:26 PM
  #320
trufleshufle13
Registered User
 
trufleshufle13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Albany
Posts: 698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
This just isn't true. That 4th line is going to be good at swinging momentum as long as Carter and Bernier make up two-thirds of it. Gionta isn't a key cog, he's a defensive liability who is not as good as literally any other forward on our roster in that spot.

That is such an easy thing to say with no backing to shoot down a player in a debate. He is NOT a defense of liabilty.

He is second only to Jagr on the team of players who have played all 8 games in GA and that's while he plays at least a shift every penalty kill.

He doesn't let players get comfortable around him with the puck long enough to make good passes and sneaks his way into the corner and always comes out with the puck either in the O-zone or D-zone.

trufleshufle13 is offline  
Old
10-20-2013, 01:27 PM
  #321
trufleshufle13
Registered User
 
trufleshufle13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Albany
Posts: 698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
what stats have you backed up Gionta being good defensively with? he just isnt. and thats fine, hes a 4th line career AHLer.
I have never seen you use a more solid argument than this. I just posted why with actual information to back it up.

trufleshufle13 is offline  
Old
10-20-2013, 01:29 PM
  #322
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988
 
Classic Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 33,284
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessarmy View Post
A defensive liability that plays on the PK and is on a line that more often than not controls the puck more than the opposition?

You guys need to pay serious attention to all the little things Gionta does during games. He creates scoring chances every single night, and I'm sorry, but I don't buy that CBGB can live on forever without Stephen. It takes three players to make a line work.
Take a look at his Corsi on the season. Bernier is 15.6. Carter is 11.0. Gionta is clipping along at 3.3. If he is driving possession, then he isn't producing shots.

Classic Devil is offline  
Old
10-20-2013, 01:29 PM
  #323
NJDevs26
Moderator
Status quo
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22,617
vCash: 500
Gionta was a terrible PK'er last year though (so was Josefson). Maybe he's improved, or they're running a better PK system.

NJDevs26 is online now  
Old
10-20-2013, 01:30 PM
  #324
Just Win
Free Larsson
 
Just Win's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Germany
Posts: 10,767
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by trufleshufle13 View Post
I have never seen you use a more solid argument than this. I just posted why with actual information to back it up.
You call that little glimpse actual information to back something up?

Take a look at some advanced stats, try to find something that actually backs up your claim of Gio being good on defense and post it here. Then we can talk.

Just Win is offline  
Old
10-20-2013, 01:30 PM
  #325
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party
 
Chessarmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
Take a look at his Corsi on the season. Bernier is 15.6. Carter is 11.0. Gionta is clipping along at 3.3. If he is driving possession, then he isn't producing shots.
CBGB's play is predicated on cycling the puck down low and grinding it out, then changing. They are a fourth line, they aren't going to put up a ton of shots.

I really wouldn't mind if Gio was sat for Josefson for a 10 game stretch, if only to finally prove once and for all who the better player is. (even though it is very clear to me)

Chessarmy is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.