HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

General Discussion (Team/Player/Trade Rumors/Speculation/News), Part III

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2013, 12:14 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Rich Chere ‏@Ledger_NJDevils 1m
Cory Schneider will start in Columbus

Old
10-20-2013, 12:18 PM
Fayne Staley
Deboer is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
Rich Chere ‏@Ledger_NJDevils 1m
Cory Schneider will start in Columbus
well that clears that up

pete finally makes a smart decision

Old
10-20-2013, 12:22 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 37s
Brodeur told Schneider during the Devils' game that the Sox were leading 4-0 (they weren't). Said he wanted him thinking positive

lol

Old
10-20-2013, 12:38 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Also Brunner is actually hurt so kill that rumor.

Old
10-20-2013, 12:56 PM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
Stephen Gionta is an AHL forward being asked to do more than he's capable of, when we have NHL forwards asked to do nothing. Lou needs to trade Gionta away so that DeBoer can stop abusing him, just like when we needed to let Madden go so that Sutter would stop abusing Madden.
Horrible idea, CBGB are doing a fantastic job of swinging the momentum our way during games. They seem to have found their chemistry again as a 4th line, you don't ruin that by trading away a key cog to that line.

Sorry folks, but Gionta is better than Josefson and makes more of an impact on the ice than any of the other scratched forwards. Given how well CBGB are playing, you absolutely DO NOT break them up. I'd even say they are essential to this team's success and are vastly underrated on here as a group.

Old
10-20-2013, 01:02 PM
trufleshufle13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessarmy View Post
Horrible idea, CBGB are doing a fantastic job of swinging the momentum our way during games. They seem to have found their chemistry again as a 4th line, you don't ruin that by trading away a key cog to that line.

Sorry folks, but Gionta is better than Josefson and makes more of an impact on the ice than any of the other scratched forwards. Given how well CBGB are playing, you absolutely DO NOT break them up. I'd even say they are essential to this team's success and are vastly underrated on here as a group.
It's refreshing to see someone finally agree with this.

Old
10-20-2013, 01:07 PM
EliasR8
Brendan Shanahan!

vCash: 1050
He only agrees because for some reason he hates Josefson

Old
10-20-2013, 01:08 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Gionta is not a better hockey player than Josefson

I am not really sure how that is even debatable.

Old
10-20-2013, 01:08 PM
Fayne Staley
Deboer is great

Quote:

I don't get it either. He's the Harrold of the forward group aka pete's pet.

Old
10-20-2013, 01:14 PM
trufleshufle13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayne Staley View Post

I don't get it either. He's the Harrold of the forward group aka pete's pet.

I know it's not worth it because everyone's mind here was made up before the season started. Nothing is going to change it.

But I always wondered why Carter gets a pass from everyone here. Gionta does more than him and contributes defensively while bringing the energy and forechecking.

Old
10-20-2013, 01:16 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Gionta is not a good defensive player. I am not sure why some of our fans think he is. He is fast and might get a breakaway shorthanded every now and then, that doesnt make him good defensively.

Old
10-20-2013, 01:19 PM
trufleshufle13

Quote:
Gionta is not a good defensive player. I am not sure why some of our fans think he is. He is fast and might get a breakaway shorthanded every now and then, that doesnt make him good defensively.

I can play that game too. Yes he is good defensively, not sure what people don't see that.

I've backed it up before with the stats and actual reasoning but I've realized thats not how it works here.

Old
10-20-2013, 01:20 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:

This just isn't true. That 4th line is going to be good at swinging momentum as long as Carter and Bernier make up two-thirds of it. Gionta isn't a key cog, he's a defensive liability who is not as good as literally any other forward on our roster in that spot.

Old
10-20-2013, 01:20 PM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliasR8 View Post
He only agrees because for some reason he hates Josefson
Not true, I just think Gionta is the better option between the two. The only real argument against that is Josefson is younger, well, so what? Gio isn't invisible nightly, and I'll take that over potential any day of the week.

On top of that, CBGB is clicking right now, and you just don't break them up at this point.

I feel that Jacob is the type of player that you plug in when your team is depleted with injuries, I don't think he has what it takes to be an every game player

Old
10-20-2013, 01:21 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trufleshufle13 View Post
I can play that game too. Yes he is good defensively, not sure what people don't see that.

I've backed it up before with the stats and actual reasoning but I've realized thats not how it works here.
What stats suggest Gionta is good defensively? Everything I saw last season (and I haven't been looking too hard this season) indicates that he was not very good at all.

Old
10-20-2013, 01:22 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:

What has Josefson done the last year plus to make people still believe this?

Yes Gionta has his flaws and gets overexposed but at least he can actually make a positive impact on the fourth line. I haven't seen Josefson have a positive impact in a game since Lemaire.

Old
10-20-2013, 01:22 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Quote:

what stats have you backed up Gionta being good defensively with? he just isnt. and thats fine, hes a 4th line career AHLer.

Old
10-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
What has Josefson done the last year plus to make people still believe this?

Yes Gionta has his flaws and gets overexposed but at least he can actually make a positive impact. I haven't seen Josefson have a positive impact in a game since Lemaire.
if Josefson was used in the role Gionta is, he would.

Old
10-20-2013, 01:24 PM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

Quote:
This just isn't true. That 4th line is going to be good at swinging momentum as long as Carter and Bernier make up two-thirds of it. Gionta isn't a key cog, he's a defensive liability who is not as good as literally any other forward on our roster in that spot.
A defensive liability that plays on the PK and is on a line that more often than not controls the puck more than the opposition?

You guys need to pay serious attention to all the little things Gionta does during games. He creates scoring chances every single night, and I'm sorry, but I don't buy that CBGB can live on forever without Stephen. It takes three players to make a line work.

Old
10-20-2013, 01:26 PM
trufleshufle13

Quote:

That is such an easy thing to say with no backing to shoot down a player in a debate. He is NOT a defense of liabilty.

He is second only to Jagr on the team of players who have played all 8 games in GA and that's while he plays at least a shift every penalty kill.

He doesn't let players get comfortable around him with the puck long enough to make good passes and sneaks his way into the corner and always comes out with the puck either in the O-zone or D-zone.

Old
10-20-2013, 01:27 PM
trufleshufle13

Quote:
what stats have you backed up Gionta being good defensively with? he just isnt. and thats fine, hes a 4th line career AHLer.
I have never seen you use a more solid argument than this. I just posted why with actual information to back it up.

Old
10-20-2013, 01:29 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
A defensive liability that plays on the PK and is on a line that more often than not controls the puck more than the opposition?

You guys need to pay serious attention to all the little things Gionta does during games. He creates scoring chances every single night, and I'm sorry, but I don't buy that CBGB can live on forever without Stephen. It takes three players to make a line work.
Take a look at his Corsi on the season. Bernier is 15.6. Carter is 11.0. Gionta is clipping along at 3.3. If he is driving possession, then he isn't producing shots.

Old
10-20-2013, 01:29 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Gionta was a terrible PK'er last year though (so was Josefson). Maybe he's improved, or they're running a better PK system.

Old
10-20-2013, 01:30 PM
Just Win
Free Larsson

vCash: 50
Quote:
I have never seen you use a more solid argument than this. I just posted why with actual information to back it up.
You call that little glimpse actual information to back something up?

Take a look at some advanced stats, try to find something that actually backs up your claim of Gio being good on defense and post it here. Then we can talk.

Old
10-20-2013, 01:30 PM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

Quote:
Take a look at his Corsi on the season. Bernier is 15.6. Carter is 11.0. Gionta is clipping along at 3.3. If he is driving possession, then he isn't producing shots.
CBGB's play is predicated on cycling the puck down low and grinding it out, then changing. They are a fourth line, they aren't going to put up a ton of shots.

I really wouldn't mind if Gio was sat for Josefson for a 10 game stretch, if only to finally prove once and for all who the better player is. (even though it is very clear to me)

Closed Thread