HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 7) Can't Win Olympic Games Edition

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2013, 09:08 PM
Andy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Still an incredible Sv%. Nobody looks at the win/loss column too much when it's time to analyse a goalie's work....Rinne wasn't bad though. We weren't awful....maybe just average.
The habs played terribly. It's really concerning to see the team play like this. Outside of the Edmonton and Philly games, the Canadiens haven't had a consistent effort and have relied on their goalie to bail them out.

Watsatheo posted this: Last 4 games Habs are averaging 36.5 shots against a game

Old
10-19-2013, 09:11 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
The habs played terribly. It's really concerning to see the team play like this. Outside of the Edmonton and Philly games, the Canadiens haven't had a consistent effort and have relied on their goalie to bail them out.

Watsatheo posted this: Last 4 games Habs are averaging 36.5 shots against a game
They need to be more disciplined. The 3rd period is the only period we didn't take a penalty and we easily outshot the Preds in that period.

Old
10-19-2013, 09:17 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
They need to be more disciplined. The 3rd period is the only period we didn't take a penalty and we easily outshot the Preds in that period.
Teams that are outplayed tend to take more penalties.

Old
10-19-2013, 09:25 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
And were 0/3 on our PP in the 3rd... Credit Nashville for killing 3 straight penalties in the 3rd to keep in 1-1 long enough, but it still feels like a good effort by Price got wasted.

Old
10-19-2013, 09:27 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis76 View Post
Game 8: Price Excellent, Defense Good (considering we were on the PK for 6 mins in the first 12 mins)
Really?

Well, here are some quotes from page one of the postgame thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by persh View Post
Great game by Price, **** everyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice 31 View Post
They showed no energy to start and it was like that all game...doesn't help when the refs go nuts with calls. Price was the only one who showed up and kept them in the game. Even Subban didn't play great tonight.
Quote:
Terrible play at the blueline cost us tonight.

Too many failed attempts to keep it in the zone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
How the **** could Markov not hold the ****ing puck in the zone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis View Post
Well.. Other than the EGG line and Price... The rest were pretty much useless...

MT is retarded.

Refs suck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
We sucked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaby23 View Post
1 line+ a goalie team yessssssssssssss. Sooooo many floaters in this team it's unreal.
I caught the first half of the game and taped the rest, so I'll be watching before posting. Gotta say though... it's pretty much universal in that postgame thread that we sucked.

Anyone else want to weigh in here first?

Old
10-19-2013, 09:31 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Really?

I caught the first half of the game and taped the rest, so I'll be watching before posting. Gotta say though... it's pretty much universal in that postgame thread that we sucked.

Anyone else want to weigh in here first?
Yeah, I thought it was impossible to be worse than Bouillon.. but Gorges is stepping up. He's become the guy who is mostly always directly responsible for goals against. Kicks the first one in himself, while he covers.... no one.

Jones GWG goal... he covers no one, then skates out to go for a swim on the ice...

Old
10-19-2013, 09:35 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Really?

Keep in mind, though, that one of the few actual defense-specific comments in there was regarding a play in the offensive zone, so... 1/6 on the PK isn't bad. Even the number of shots, considering the PKs, isn't bad. Holding that game to 1-1 as long as they did (Price doin' work, of course) was a "good" effort. Not flawless, not even technically good enough to win, but "good". Remove a tired Moen gliding in the defensive zone and reaching instead of skating and defending with just under 2 mins left, and who knows how the game ends up, or how we're talking about it.

Old
10-19-2013, 09:37 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Keep in mind, though, that one of the few actual defense-specific comments in there was regarding a play in the offensive zone, so... 1/6 on the PK isn't bad. Even the number of shots, considering the PKs, isn't bad. Holding that game to 1-1 as long as they did (Price doin' work, of course) was a "good" effort. Not flawless, not even technically good enough to win, but "good". Remove a tired Moen gliding in the defensive zone and reaching instead of skating and defending with just under 2 mins left, and who knows how the game ends up, or how we're talking about it.
I'll reserve judgement 'til I see it myself. What's your vote then? Mediocre?

Remember... Bouillion is part of the D.

Old
10-19-2013, 09:44 PM
Andy

Defense wasn't great at all. The team was being outshot 32 to 17 at one point in the game.

That the score was 1-1 until 2 min left wasn't at all indicative of the game. The score was held there largely because of Price and the habs got a breather when the Preds took 3 3rd period penalties, two being late in the third.

The habs will lose more games than they'll win if the D plays like they did tonight.

Old
10-19-2013, 09:47 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
I'll reserve judgement 'til I see it myself. What's your vote then? Mediocre?
Another game where I wouldn't argue vehemently against mediocre or good. I vote good, but see what you think after watching. Again, "efficiency"-wise (1/6 on the PK isn't bad, number of shots ES - 26 vs 23 - wasn't bad, number of quality scoring chances wasn't obscene, number of odd-man rushes wasn't out of control, etc), and in terms of managing a tie game for 3/4 of the game, my first inclination is to vote 'good'. Team defense (I feel we base this mostly on the performance of the 6 guys right in front of Price, but I might be wrong) could drag someone's overall evaluation down to 'mediocre', though, and I guess that would be fair.

Old
10-19-2013, 09:56 PM
Andy

Quote:
Another game where I wouldn't argue vehemently against mediocre or good. I vote good, but see what you think after watching. Again, "efficiency"-wise (1/6 on the PK isn't bad, number of shots ES - 26 vs 23 - wasn't bad, number of quality scoring chances wasn't obscene, number of odd-man rushes wasn't out of control, etc), and in terms of managing a tie game for 3/4 of the game, my first inclination is to vote 'good'. Team defense (I feel we base this mostly on the performance of the 6 guys right in front of Price, but I might be wrong) could drag someone's overall evaluation down to 'mediocre', though, and I guess that would be fair.
Citing the PK doesn't say much. The habs killed off all three penalties against the nucks and all 5 against the Jets, but still didn't play well defensively.

Also, the Canadiens took almost half of their shots in the third period.

Like was mentioned by many in the GDT, the habs deserved to lose and the game was only close because of some key stops made by Price who was peppered for a good two periods.

No way the defense was "good". I don't see how the defense could have been good, when it was almost unanimous that Subban and Markov played some of their worse games this season, and that Boullion, Gorges and Diaz struggled all game long.

Old
10-19-2013, 10:05 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
No way the defense was "good". I don't see how the defense could have been good, when it was almost unanimous that Subban and Markov played some of their worse games this season, and that Boullion, Gorges and Diaz struggled all game long.
I don't see how Subban and Markov playing their "worst game this season", relatively speaking of course, is mutually exclusive from "good". And a couple of players can struggle without dragging down the whole team toooo badly. I guess I just assumed that there was an understood layer of subjectivity between "good" and "perfect". Again, though, I wouldn't argue with "mediocre" as an assessment either.

Old
10-19-2013, 10:10 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Price played well tonight. You can predict who will trash the defense on every game though. It's always the same guys trashing the defense to fit their agenda.

Old
10-19-2013, 10:10 PM
Andy

Quote:
I don't see how Subban and Markov playing their "worst game this season", relatively speaking of course, is mutually exclusive from "good". And a couple of players can struggle without dragging down the whole team toooo badly. I guess I just assumed that there was an understood layer of subjectivity between "good" and "perfect". Again, though, I wouldn't argue with "mediocre" as an assessment either.
Personally, i don't think good is an option and saying that the team was mediocre is a stretch that requires some defending. The team deserved to lose tonight. They were lucky the game was as close as it was. It's really disconcerting to see the performances of the team so far. Outside of the Philly and Oilers games, and 2/3rds of the Columbus games, the habs have been outplayed by the opponents this season. Their record and GF/GA ratio isn't at all reflective of the product that has been the ice ice to start the season. Price, EGG and Subban have been carrying the team who has been flat more often than it is has dictated the pace and with injuries starting to pile up, it's getting to be concerning, especially when they haven't faced quality teams yet.

Old
10-19-2013, 10:12 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Price played well tonight. You can predict who will trash the defense on every game though. It's always the same guys trashing the defense to fit their agenda.
If that was the case, why would I say that the defense played great against the Oilers, Flyers and 2/3rds of the Columbus game?

Are you really going to sit there and say the D played well tonight and the habs deserved to win? The team was outshot 30-17 after two periods. The defense was subject to a lot of complaints during the GDT.

Old
10-19-2013, 10:20 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
If that was the case, why would I say that the defense played great against the Oilers, Flyers and 2/3rds of the Columbus game?

Are you really going to sit there and say the D played well tonight and the habs deserved to win? The team was outshot 30-17 after two periods. The defense was subject to a lot of complaints during the GDT.
The D has been "amazing" this year.

Old
10-19-2013, 10:22 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Defense was panned in the postgame thread by tons of people. The quotes I put in this thread were only from the first page...

Here are some from the 2nd page...

And I haven't really seen anyone say we played a good game other than in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovsKnee View Post
The refs sucked, but Habs didn't really deserve to win. They played like crap. Preds are a fast, tough forechecking team that can't score. We're going to have tough times against teams that do that and can score.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Team wasn't good and couldn't overcome the absolutely disgusting display of incompetence from the ref. From embezzlement to reversing plays on the ice based on inconclusive evidence to uncalled headshots without the puck... a good evening of work from these two buffoons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
well deserved loss. Prust and Briere out means Therrien must play some scrubs.

DD-Plekanec-briere-gionta too small and soff to play against teams that play hard in defense.

Weber great game. Subban boullione gorges diaz tinordi horrible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
Not sure how you can blame the refs. Defense looked putrid, lucky it wasn't worse.

There must be a happy medium between Martin's half-a-man forecheck and Therrien's lol-there's-the-puck defense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
Way too many passengers.

MT should give this team a major bag skate tomorrow morning.

Pathetic.

Price was fine.
And this last one is weird. Genesis76 says Defense good in this thread, but here's what he said in the postgame...

Quote:
Yeah Price and the Egg line were great, everyone else was on vacation
?

Okay, so then why was the D good?

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 10-19-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old
10-19-2013, 10:28 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Defense was panned in the postgame thread by tons of people. The quotes I put in this thread were only from the first page...
Breakdowns look bad. Breakdowns sound even worse in PGTs when we lose. Breakdowns also happen in wins. That's all I'm saying. Some people might think that if there was a loss, something has to be labelled "bad", and others might think that a win means everything was "good", but it's obvious that doesn't really contribute to what you're doing. What I mean to say, is that results and efficiency have to matter at some level, and expectations/ideals/standards can't be unrealistic.

Old
10-19-2013, 10:32 PM
Lafleurs Guy

I'll split the difference and say 'mediocre'. I don't think anyone should have a problem with that. The penalties did **** us up so...

Game 1: Price Good, Defense Bad
Game 2: Price Good, Defense Good
Game 3: Price Good, Defense Bad
Game 4: Budaj Good, Defense Good
Game 5: Price Good, Defense Bad
Game 6: Price Good, Defense Mediocre
Game 7: Price Good, Defense Good
Game 8: Price Good, Defense Mediocre

Also, I hate seeing the puck bouncing off our guys for goals. I know it happens to every team but I just hate those kinds of fluky goals.

Old
10-19-2013, 10:34 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Breakdowns look bad. Breakdowns sound even worse in PGTs when we lose. Breakdowns also happen in wins. That's all I'm saying. Some people might think that if there was a loss, something has to be labelled "bad", and others might think that a win means everything was "good", but it's obvious that doesn't really contribute to what you're doing. What I mean to say, is that results and efficiency have to matter at some level, and expectations/ideals/standards can't be unrealistic.
I don't think it was terrible. I've put mediocre. Everyone should be okay with that. Some will think it's too harsh others not nearly harsh enough. Nobody's happy so...

It's the right call.

Thing is though... we've played bad teams so far. The schedule seems really weird that way for some reason. I think our D will be exposed once we start playing better teams. I just hope that Price doesn't go down with it because he's played very well so far.

Old
10-20-2013, 01:57 AM
Genesis76

vCash: 50
Quote:
?

Okay, so then why was the D good?
Dude are you kidding me?

We start the game with all those penalties, 5vs4 for 6 mins within the first 12 mins, not only did it killed our momentum but we only gave 1 lucky garbage goal... I'm just saying under these circumstances our D played very well.

Defensively we were good our problem was our offense and the coach's.

(Of course we got lucky on a few occasions but still I dont think its fair to always bash our D just because we're not happy with its composition, sometimes we need to give them credit too just like Price)

Price was outstanding tonight <---This is the Price I enjoy watching btw.

Last edited by Genesis76: 10-20-2013 at 02:08 AM.
Old
10-20-2013, 03:37 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Classic example of how a goalie can get you only so far in a game. The team was awful
Agreed, but the reffing was a gong show tonight, not just the disallowed goal, but all night. Especially the dive on pk, the ref reacted to a player on the preds putting his arms up and saying wtf, the same way he reacted to eller, gallagher raising their arms on the non goal. If he's going to be that bad, he should be released.

Absolutely terribad reffing, he should be fined a few weeks pay at the very least.

Old
10-20-2013, 08:02 AM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Quote:
I'll split the difference and say 'mediocre'. I don't think anyone should have a problem with that. The penalties did **** us up so...

Game 1: Price Good, Defense Bad
Game 2: Price Good, Defense Good
Game 3: Price Good, Defense Bad
Game 4: Budaj Good, Defense Good
Game 5: Price Good, Defense Bad
Game 6: Price Good, Defense Mediocre
Game 7: Price Good, Defense Good
Game 8: Price Good, Defense Mediocre

Also, I hate seeing the puck bouncing off our guys for goals. I know it happens to every team but I just hate those kinds of fluky goals.

Mediocre is too kind IMO. Some of the worst board play and unnecessary turnovers in their own zone I've seen in a while. Even Markov was bobbling the puck and turning it over.

Old
10-20-2013, 08:58 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Mediocre is too kind IMO. Some of the worst board play and unnecessary turnovers in their own zone I've seen in a while. Even Markov was bobbling the puck and turning it over.
Better too kind than too harsh. And I think everyone can live with mediocre.

Worth noting though... check out the winning goal. Big Pred forward goes and stands directly in front of Price. Price can't see anything and has to start looking around the guy. Gorges comes in and has a hard time containing him. To his credit he does fight the battle but by then Jones is coming in with the puck.

Great play by Jones, great play by the big forward helping him out... that's how you beat a hot goalie. We can learn from this.

Old
10-20-2013, 12:21 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Dude are you kidding me?
Are you kidding me?

It was your quote dude...
Quote:
We start the game with all those penalties, 5vs4 for 6 mins within the first 12 mins, not only did it killed our momentum but we only gave 1 lucky garbage goal... I'm just saying under these circumstances our D played very well.

Defensively we were good our problem was our offense and the coach's.

(Of course we got lucky on a few occasions but still I dont think its fair to always bash our D just because we're not happy with its composition, sometimes we need to give them credit too just like Price)

Price was outstanding tonight <---This is the Price I enjoy watching btw.
Okay so why did you say: "Yeah Price and the Egg line were great, everyone else was on vacation"

I don't really care that much but you contradict yourself and then get upset when I post it? WTF?

Closed Thread