HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kevin Dineen keep or let go?

View Poll Results: Keep or fire Dineen?
Keep 48 47.52%
Fire 53 52.48%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2013, 06:36 PM
Erick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBPantherfan View Post
What I don't get is how hard nosed a player Dineen was and how soft this team is. For ****s sake Flash and Huby finish their checks more than every other forward besides Winchester. It drives me nuts when they have a DMan lined up he passes the puck and instead of making the opposing teams defense pay the price for making the pass they pull-up or skate around him. Meanwhile our D gets pounded everytime they make a pass and get so gunshy they panic with the puck and throw it to the slot for the other team to take target practice on our goalie. I didn't play hockey but played football it was always more fun to be the hitter than the guy getting hit.
The team plays soft because it is soft. A lot of our top players have a history of being soft.

I don't remember the last time this franchise had a tough player that was skilled.

Old
10-19-2013, 11:12 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Hahahahaha

I feel for you dude. We had him for 3 failed years.

It's fun now to watch our guy toasted for a failed 1/2 yr and 8 games.

That's hockey!
We kinda had it stuck everyone knows where tonight i want to get rid of anyome but our goalie and capt.)

Old
10-19-2013, 11:14 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
The team plays soft because it is soft. A lot of our top players have a history of being soft.

I don't remember the last time this franchise had a tough player that was skilled.
Horton.

Is Barkov soft?

Old
10-19-2013, 11:22 PM
gudzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
Horton.

Is Barkov soft?
barkov is quite soft, yeah. he won't use his body to go through people like lindros did, but he'll defend the puck with it

booth played a power forward-ish style too?

Old
10-19-2013, 11:27 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Ah give our 18 year old a break. Took Guds a few games to get nasty as he had to.

I wouldn't call him soft. Has he taken the route NOT to hit when he could?

Booth was very reckless, I'd call him tough before arseholio knocked his block off.

0g, you kill me my good sir!!!

Anyone remember 12 Angry Men when the dude was rambling and each juror quietly got up from the table? That's what the skill did to PDB in NJ after a year-year and a half.

Old
10-20-2013, 01:24 AM
Erick

Our 18-year-old franchise player who's already one of our best offensive players shouldn't be the tough guy on the team, anyway.

I was referring to guys like Flash and Versteeg. The list goes on and on because we have a bunch of small forwards who really aren't all that physical.

The D is the same too for the most part. Campbell and Gilbert are finesse. Kulikov is inconsistent. Gudbranson should probably be more physical than he is. Weaver is the guy this year who's basically had at least one great hit every game.

I wish this team had a Lucic type player on it.

Old
10-20-2013, 01:40 PM
MJMazzarone
#AnyonebutNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
you'd say that this is a new development? i think the circumstances are opening up some fan's eyes to something that's been a problem his whole tenure.

in a heartbeat. tallon had to make a change and pete was frustrated here but i knew we were giving up on a very good coach for an unknown (now a known lesser, i'd argue).

i understand folks are frustrated. haven't watched enough games myself to form any kind of opinion on why they are struggling. i did tune if for a few shifts the other night and saw a team still playing with good structure (it was like night and day switching between the devils game and the panthers game). i will try to watch a post game presser or two of his this week to see what he's saying about the situation there. in any case, this isn't about deboer. all coaches, even great ones struggle and get fired and for a variety of reasons. i'll guarantee you this much - if pete is fired, he'll land on his feet. i *think* dineen will have a tough time and the reason i say that is that i believe GMs around the league see the same thing we're talking about here.

i don't see any real consistency with this team and really never have. nor do i think that a particular system is the problem. systems are just a way to keep everyone on the same page. certainly there are some approaches that work better with some personnel but generally speaking, if you are not employing tactics at either end of the spectrum (aggressive/conservative) and you have buy-in, a decent roster should be able to compete every night. that's not the case here.

If Pete gets fired he'll have to go to a team with little young talent and little young, promising prospects. He is HORRID with young talent and I'd argue is ruining Larsson's development. Same with the likes of Jacob Josefson and Mark Fayne.

Old
10-20-2013, 07:38 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Our 18-year-old franchise player who's already one of our best offensive players shouldn't be the tough guy on the team, anyway.

I was referring to guys like Flash and Versteeg. The list goes on and on because we have a bunch of small forwards who really aren't all that physical.

The D is the same too for the most part. Campbell and Gilbert are finesse. Kulikov is inconsistent. Gudbranson should probably be more physical than he is. Weaver is the guy this year who's basically had at least one great hit every game.

I wish this team had a Lucic type player on it.
****ing truth.

Old
10-21-2013, 08:28 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
Hey, at least there's virtually no way in hell he wouldn't light a fire under these guys. Even with no gameplan, theyd all be playing like bats outta hell.

OT, my Pandora acct hasnt moved from the Bad Religion channel in almost a week.
They've got a lot of albums, so I can see that - and even though I'll even admit a lot of their albums sound alike...I don't care, because almost all of them sound awesome

10-21-2013, 08:32 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
you'd say that this is a new development? i think the circumstances are opening up some fan's eyes to something that's been a problem his whole tenure.
You just like to start arguments, don't you? Always fishing for a fight.

No, I'm not saying this is a new development - I'm saying I don't get the chance to watch many games and so it's only been these last few weeks since the season started that I was really able to see for myself how badly coached PARTS of this team seem to be. Odd that a forward would have a team that's ok on defense and completely hapless on offense, but it is what it is.

Old
10-21-2013, 08:36 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida pwnthers View Post
barkov is quite soft, yeah. he won't use his body to go through people like lindros did, but he'll defend the puck with it

booth played a power forward-ish style too?
Given how much time Lindros spent recovering from concussions before retiring somewhat early, I'd say that's a good thing.

Booth...don't know if you could exactly call him a power forward...his style was to plow forward, sure, but mainly with speed and a devil-may-care attitude. He basically tried to just get the puck through opponents then skate around them to get it on the other side.

Old
10-21-2013, 09:39 AM
gudzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Given how much time Lindros spent recovering from concussions before retiring somewhat early, I'd say that's a good thing.

Booth...don't know if you could exactly call him a power forward...his style was to plow forward, sure, but mainly with speed and a devil-may-care attitude. He basically tried to just get the puck through opponents then skate around them to get it on the other side.
lindros kept his head down and played in a way more vicious era. if barkov played like lindros and still had the same skillset, he would have gone first overall and we would cry ourselves to sleep because we lost the lottery

Old
10-21-2013, 10:39 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
They've got a lot of albums, so I can see that - and even though I'll even admit a lot of their albums sound alike...I don't care, because almost all of them sound awesome
I can easily say their sticking to sound is why im likining them more and more as time goes.
Black Album into Load, Diabolus In Musica, Subliminal Versus (to name a few) all ruined the futures of some of my other favs growing up.

AC/DC? Never changed, never let me down.

Just realized none of the above is irrelevant as the changing of the chemistry that works also ruins hockey teams.

Last edited by CHGoalie27: 10-21-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old
10-23-2013, 09:01 AM
Madhatter73

Last night this team closer to the level they are capable of. I am not sure if it was due to Dineen's coaching or reaction to Viola's rumored "threat", but it was refreshing to see.

This team is MUCH better than they have shown so far this season.

IF Dineen can keep them playing at that high level every night, he'll have redeemed himself as a capable coach in my eyes. If not... he needs to be shown the door.

Old
10-24-2013, 08:46 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter73 View Post
Last night this team closer to the level they are capable of. I am not sure if it was due to Dineen's coaching or reaction to Viola's rumored "threat", but it was refreshing to see.

IF Dineen can keep them playing at that high level every night, he'll have redeemed himself as a capable coach in my eyes. If not... he needs to be shown the door.
I'm still worried by the lack of offense and what I saw in that game against Boston...the offense was completely haphazard, no organization to it, no strategy, no plays. Just winging it, and Boston being opposite of that made them look really bad even if the score was close.

Old
10-24-2013, 10:07 AM
zeroG

Quote:
You just like to start arguments, don't you? Always fishing for a fight.

No, I'm not saying this is a new development - I'm saying I don't get the chance to watch many games and so it's only been these last few weeks since the season started that I was really able to see for myself how badly coached PARTS of this team seem to be. Odd that a forward would have a team that's ok on defense and completely hapless on offense, but it is what it is.
there was no tone intended at all, just a question. wasn't looking for an argument at all. was curious how you saw it. obviously i have an opinion on the matter but... that's all it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter73 View Post

the problem is that team, as it has done for much of the past 2+ years, continues to vacillate between what appear to be good efforts and poor efforts.

Old
10-24-2013, 10:51 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMazzarone View Post
If Pete gets fired he'll have to go to a team with little young talent and little young, promising prospects. He is HORRID with young talent and I'd argue is ruining Larsson's development. Same with the likes of Jacob Josefson and Mark Fayne.
that's interesting considering he spent so long working and having great success with young talent before jumping to the NHL. i'm sure he's having troubles there right now but it's hard to believe that he's forgotten how deal with young players. i bet there's another explanation for what you are seeing.

Old
10-24-2013, 12:05 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMazzarone View Post
Yea he was horrible here with Kuli Mathias et al. Well known issue.

Clemmer:

Scott Clemmensen quote:

“There was friction between (DeBoer) and a lot of players at some point. I just think that was his coaching style. There’s the pat on the back type of coach and the kick in the (butt) type of coach. I think he was more of the latter. It didn’t mean we weren’t all pulling in the same direction. Everybody wanted the same thing here and it was frustrating at times. To say the least"

Last edited by adam graves: 10-24-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old
10-25-2013, 09:02 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

DiNoer needs to go. Structure? NAAAAH!!!

Screen their goalie? NAAAAH!!!!

Man THEIR guy in front of OUR net?????? NAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Encourage physical play? NAAAAHHHHH!

****ing joke.

His recognition of chemistry sucks as much as DeBeen's.

They can show all the effort in the world, without a plan it'll look like what we've been seeing.

Old
10-25-2013, 09:04 PM
hockeydude1
More Cowbell!

Anyone changing their minds about Dineen yet?

Old
10-25-2013, 09:06 PM
zeroG

well, the bandwagon will be filling up now.

wrt deboer (15 years in junior hockey, winning at every stop, coaching future NHL stars) and young talent - i suppose i'm alone here in appreciating the irony in the comments from those posters who called him a "junior coach" while in FL and now claim he's "horrible" with young players .

Old
10-25-2013, 09:07 PM
Crossbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydude1 View Post
A better question would be, if you can get rid of Dineen at the cost of losing Tallon as well, would you do it?

Old
10-25-2013, 09:07 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydude1 View Post
If you're going to blame Dineen, Tallon deserves some blame for this too. He put this team together.

Old
10-25-2013, 09:08 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
It doesn't matter who the **** the coach is when no one can score. We dominated Buffalo for two entire periods and couldn't put more than one puck past Enroth. We barely challenged him.

A coaching change is a start. That's it. There's a **** ton of more things that need to be fixed with this team.

Old
10-25-2013, 09:12 PM
hockeydude1
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanHuberdoh View Post
It doesn't matter who the **** the coach is when no one can score. We dominated Buffalo for two entire periods and couldn't put more than one puck past Enroth. We barely challenged him.

A coaching change is a start. That's it. There's a **** ton of more things that need to be fixed with this team.
I agree. A coaching change is the first spark to wake up. II think the ownership change will help Tallon. Previously, he couldn't do much. We have a much better team than what we see though.

Closed Thread