HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-20-2013, 02:07 AM
  #301
CorpseFX
Registered User
 
CorpseFX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 7,674
vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Geez who would've thought teaching guys yet another system would take time.
so having fans and coaches be critical of players after you implement minimal infrastructure is fine? and then making comments that the renovation project was a lot bigger than you thought? that just tells me someone who wasnt prepared for what he was digging into and didnt get enough done before the season started. if the infrastructure can't be implemented for most of this season - which it was referred to in the Devils broadcast - then this year is a HUGE wash and any hopes of playoffs (yawn) is already out the door.

Button's comment was on Oilers Now during the week and it was in reference to Principe's quote he got from Eakins. Button was basically blown away he made a comment like that.

the management staff better hope they made the right coaching decision this time because resets are going to continue to put this many children and sketchy vets behind the 8 ball of ever "rebuilding"

CorpseFX is online now  
Old
10-20-2013, 04:09 AM
  #302
plikestechno
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,609
vCash: 500
I like that hes not afraid to scratch and demote guys and that everyone seems to be on equal standing. Seeing Nick Schultz finally scratched and Smid demoted the other game has been like waking up in Christmas morning.

I dont like the constant line juggling but winning more often will slow that down.

My only concern is that hes taken this team way out of their comfort zone of the past few years. Hopefully it pays off and we dont end up being even worse in the long run.

plikestechno is offline  
Old
10-20-2013, 06:01 AM
  #303
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse
 
Hockey Buddha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
so having fans and coaches be critical of players after you implement minimal infrastructure is fine? and then making comments that the renovation project was a lot bigger than you thought? that just tells me someone who wasnt prepared for what he was digging into and didnt get enough done before the season started. if the infrastructure can't be implemented for most of this season - which it was referred to in the Devils broadcast - then this year is a HUGE wash and any hopes of playoffs (yawn) is already out the door.

Button's comment was on Oilers Now during the week and it was in reference to Principe's quote he got from Eakins. Button was basically blown away he made a comment like that.

the management staff better hope they made the right coaching decision this time because resets are going to continue to put this many children and sketchy vets behind the 8 ball of ever "rebuilding"
Meh, Button isn't the sharpest knife anyhow. Didn't he release Martin St. Louis from the Flames as one of his first orders of business after becoming GM? 'nuf said.

Hockey Buddha is offline  
Old
10-20-2013, 01:14 PM
  #304
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
so having fans and coaches be critical of players after you implement minimal infrastructure is fine? and then making comments that the renovation project was a lot bigger than you thought? that just tells me someone who wasnt prepared for what he was digging into and didnt get enough done before the season started. if the infrastructure can't be implemented for most of this season - which it was referred to in the Devils broadcast - then this year is a HUGE wash and any hopes of playoffs (yawn) is already out the door.

Button's comment was on Oilers Now during the week and it was in reference to Principe's quote he got from Eakins. Button was basically blown away he made a comment like that.

the management staff better hope they made the right coaching decision this time because resets are going to continue to put this many children and sketchy vets behind the 8 ball of ever "rebuilding"

Eakins is now finding out what Ralph Krueger already knew before him. And Tom Renney before him. And Pat Quinn before him. This is an undisciplined stable of me first personalities that are very difficult to mold into the team concept.

Stoneman89 is offline  
Old
10-20-2013, 02:39 PM
  #305
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater
 
KarmaPolice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In Limbo
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,315
vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
He needs to get swarmed by bumble bees.

It's too early so far to make any realistic judgement on him thus far, IMO. I was kind of concerned of him overusing RNH as soon as he got back, but that has subsided to an extent, so at least that aspect is amended.

KarmaPolice is offline  
Old
10-20-2013, 02:49 PM
  #306
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,686
vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
He needs to get swarmed by bumble bees.

Yes indeed...a Muzzle of Bees

guymez is offline  
Old
10-20-2013, 03:41 PM
  #307
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,329
vCash: 500
Needs more time.

I don't think we should continue with our annual coach firing at the end of the year either. Need to see how the teams develops with the same coach for more than 1 year.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline  
Old
10-20-2013, 06:43 PM
  #308
Up the Irons
Registered User
 
Up the Irons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,928
vCash: 480
overall, i like him and think he will be good coach over the long term.

likes: his attitude and honesty. holding everyone accountable. did good work on 5 on 5. the team seems to work harder

dislikes: messing with the special teams.

he might have to rethink this 'swarm'

Up the Irons is offline  
Old
10-20-2013, 07:40 PM
  #309
shoop
Registered User
 
shoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,193
vCash: 500
I like him in many respects.

He is willing to admit mistakes. The team didn't practice the PP on Friday and he took the load for the resulting poor play.

He is holding players accountable. I believe both Yak and Doobie responded well to be held out a couple of games.

The swarm defence is coming around. I think it will eventually work and is starting to show some positive returns.

shoop is offline  
Old
10-21-2013, 11:16 AM
  #310
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 24,884
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
so having fans and coaches be critical of players after you implement minimal infrastructure is fine? and then making comments that the renovation project was a lot bigger than you thought? that just tells me someone who wasnt prepared for what he was digging into and didnt get enough done before the season started. if the infrastructure can't be implemented for most of this season - which it was referred to in the Devils broadcast - then this year is a HUGE wash and any hopes of playoffs (yawn) is already out the door.

Button's comment was on Oilers Now during the week and it was in reference to Principe's quote he got from Eakins. Button was basically blown away he made a comment like that.

the management staff better hope they made the right coaching decision this time because resets are going to continue to put this many children and sketchy vets behind the 8 ball of ever "rebuilding"
Why not? We had coaches that babied these kids. Maybe it's time for them to start getting tough love and learn to be better players. This team has a lot more talent then they are showing.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 11:27 PM
  #311
shoop
Registered User
 
shoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,193
vCash: 500
I think tonight was an example of how good a coach Eakins is.

The team played like crap in the first. Something he said during intermission motivated them to play better.

Great response to Eller's unfortunate remarks.

Eakins is a keeper. Hopefully he is the third Oilers coach to last five full seasons!

shoop is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 11:41 PM
  #312
Hockey Nightmare
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
I think tonight was an example of how good a coach Eakins is.

The team played like crap in the first. Something he said during intermission motivated them to play better.

Great response to Eller's unfortunate remarks.

Eakins is a keeper. Hopefully he is the third Oilers coach to last five full seasons!
I'm just hoping he's the first Oilers coach in forever to last over two seasons.

Hockey Nightmare is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 11:45 PM
  #313
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,686
vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
Just saw this...good stuff.

guymez is offline  
Old
10-23-2013, 01:52 PM
  #314
cpnfantstk
Registered User
 
cpnfantstk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orlando. Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
just saw this...good stuff.
omg...lmao...^^^^^^^^^Where did you get that from ? If you look at the players , they are like“What the ****"


Last edited by cpnfantstk: 10-23-2013 at 02:13 PM.
cpnfantstk is offline  
Old
10-23-2013, 01:58 PM
  #315
Aerchon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,403
vCash: 500
Still like him despite losing so much.

I have no complaints about anything i've noticed.

Love the way he brings players in and out of the line up on merit.

Krueger lost his shine very quickly to me besides the PP but at this point last was thinking all he needed was more time as well... so who knows.

I would really like to see him given at least the better part of 2 seasons to put a team together.

Aerchon is offline  
Old
10-23-2013, 02:13 PM
  #316
Soundwave
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,133
vCash: 500
I like his attitude, the team does play better 5-on-5 as a whole this year, BUT he must get this team doing a better job on the d-zone break outs.

Even last night when we were winning there was a sequence with Belov and RNH in the third party which was hilariously awful, we need a better breakout.

Obviously in addition to that, our PP/PK ... he needs to study some tape of what we were doing last year because it's a lot better than what's been happening this year.

Soundwave is offline  
Old
10-24-2013, 06:16 PM
  #317
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,638
vCash: 500
Leaf fan in again. Looks like most of you like eakins. I knew u guys would. Many leaf
fans weren't happy that he played the veterans, but i dont
see it that way. He wants kids to earn their spots.

mikebel111 is offline  
Old
10-24-2013, 07:24 PM
  #318
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,686
vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
Leaf fan in again. Looks like most of you like eakins. I knew u guys would. Many leaf
fans weren't happy that he played the veterans, but i dont
see it that way. He wants kids to earn their spots.
That and he has nice hair.

guymez is offline  
Old
10-24-2013, 11:03 PM
  #319
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO
 
Oiltankjob Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
That and he has nice hair.
Maybe he should spend more time coaching than on his hair. Dumb hiring said so since beginning first coach in rebuild had us doomed 1st 11 games in. Matches up Rnh against Ovies line wtf did we bring in Gordon for.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline  
Old
10-24-2013, 11:32 PM
  #320
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Maybe he should spend more time coaching than on his hair. Dumb hiring said so since beginning first coach in rebuild had us doomed 1st 11 games in. Matches up Rnh against Ovies line wtf did we bring in Gordon for.
Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Eakins hast too high of an opinion on some of the talented players on this club. He's seduced by talent at this level. I think he actually figures that talented players are the best players in any capacity. That line of thinking went out in the 80's.

Welcome to the millenium and specialist assignments, line matching is the order of the day.

Who knew?

Eakins has his strange tendencies and theres going to be continued learning curve ahead.

This game was lost on the one matchup. You're correct in saying that.

Replacement is online now  
Old
10-24-2013, 11:35 PM
  #321
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO
 
Oiltankjob Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Eakins hast too high of an opinion on some of the talented players on this club. He's seduced by talent at this level. I think he actually figures that talented players are the best players in any capacity. That line of thinking went out in the 80's.

Welcome to the millenium and specialist assignments, line matching is the order of the day.

Who knew?

Eakins has his strange tendencies and theres going to be continued learning curve ahead.

This game was lost on the one matchup. You're correct in saying that.
I will give you credit you were the very first vocal opponent of this hiring and you were dead on this time.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline  
Old
10-24-2013, 11:43 PM
  #322
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
I will give you credit you were the very first vocal opponent of this hiring and you were dead on this time.
I was initially very much against another change in coaches. One thing I worried about is how much Eakins being a good speaker kind of seduced the org into making a decision they probably shouldn't have.

Eakins is a good speaker. We had no way of knowing if he was a good coach. I like him as a character, but his game management is just beyond rookie coach bad.

Theres also been too many disposable coaches here. The players won't listen much due to whats been going on.

Replacement is online now  
Old
10-24-2013, 11:48 PM
  #323
Neatman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,363
vCash: 500
I have no idea what Eakins is doing sometimes. Defensive zone faceoff against Ovi and Backstrome? He puts out Hopkins and the kids constantly.

Offensive zone faceoff after a commercial break? Puts out Gordon.

Terrible PP and PK.

What's his plan?

Neatman is offline  
Old
10-24-2013, 11:49 PM
  #324
Oilersfanneedsdrink
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I was initially very much against another change in coaches. One thing I worried about is how much Eakins being a good speaker kind of seduced the org into making a decision they probably shouldn't have.

Eakins is a good speaker. We had no way of knowing if he was a good coach. I like him as a character, but his game management is just beyond rookie coach bad.

Theres also been too many disposable coaches here. The players won't listen much due to whats been going on.
Do you think management made a mistake letting krueger go after only one season? or were there glaring problems with the system they were playing last year?

It seems this team is so imbalanced that if you bring a defensive oriented coach in, they will do an ok job keeping the puck out of the net but can't score to save their lives. They bring in a guy that seems to run a more offensive oriented approach and they can't play a game without letting in at least 3 goals a game.

What coach would do well with this team really?

Oilersfanneedsdrink is offline  
Old
10-24-2013, 11:49 PM
  #325
GreatKeith
Registered User
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,131
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatman View Post
I have no idea what Eakins is doing sometimes. Defensive zone faceoff against Ovi and Backstrome? He puts out Hopkins and the kids constantly.

Offensive zone faceoff after a commercial break? Puts out Gordon.

Terrible PP and PK.

What's his plan?
If you're talking about the first goal it was an icing call.

GreatKeith is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.