HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Latendresse

Old
12-08-2006, 11:21 AM
Habsfan18
The Future

vCash: 500
I think it's a matter of playing with Koivu, and getting into shape.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 11:25 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by !nkubus View Post
Aperently he told to Carbo on day that he didn't feel to play that night... (he doesn't even have a spot, you cannot say that in my books )
I also find this very hard to believe...I'd think 100% of AHLers would love a chance to play full-time in the NHL, and Kosty goes and tells Carbo that he "doesn't feel like playing" when he gets called up?

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 11:57 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I also find this very hard to believe...I'd think 100% of AHLers would love a chance to play full-time in the NHL, and Kosty goes and tells Carbo that he "doesn't feel like playing" when he gets called up?
I hope that people will soon realize that Kostistyn actually sucks. He has all the talent in the world, all the tools, but he can't bring 'em to the next level. The guy has no heart, no desire. "I don't feel like playing", well Carbo should have sent him the Belarus... I can't understand all that AK-46 love around here... We should have picked Parisé instead, at-least HE would have been able to crack the line-up long ago.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 11:59 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
"Sucks" is a bit strong. "Progressing at a disappointingly slow rate" would be a bit more accurate I think.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildone26 View Post
I have been really impressed with this kid since the Patrick Roy comments. He is doing better then I thought he would after seeing his start this year. Does anybody else think the Roy comments motivated him?
He got quality playing time.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 12:02 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
"Sucks" is a bit strong. "Progressing at a disappointingly slow rate" would be a bit more accurate I think.
"Sucks" is not strong. Do not forget that he was drafted 10th overall in one of the best drafts of all time and that pretty much everybody in the top 15 are regular players on their NHL teams. Kosty is the only one who actually did nothing so far. He has all the tools like I said, but he doesn't have the drive to succeed. He does not want it bad enough. He is not willing to pay the price. He is TOO talented no to be in the NHL right now and he can't do it. I can't understand why people are still supporting him.

Old
12-08-2006, 12:04 PM
!nkubus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
He got quality playing time.
And he use it well. Ribeiro was having quality time also

!nkubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 12:04 PM
wildone26*

Actually alot of you make a good point in that it was great for him to be put on a line with Koivu as well. Koivu is great at mentoring young players and playing alongside him has probably helped Latendresse's development a great deal. Also the coach giving him confidence, letting him know if he performs he will be rewarded, giving him alot of ice time to show what he can do, all good things which coaches are often hesitant to do with a rookie.

wildone26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 12:06 PM
Madevilz

Quote:
Unfortunately I cannot find the link, but I even saw a TV interview with Carbo about this. I like Kostytin an I want him back. Why would I try to make this up ?
I can confirm this. The article said that Carbo found it unacceptable that a rookie takes some shifts off. Kost needs to improve his work ethic.

Madevilz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 12:08 PM
LadyByngJeanRatelle

He has definitely been impressive so far.

All hail King Latendresse.

LadyByngJeanRatelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 12:09 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Two things...

I think playing with better players helps him 'look' faster, and I also think that since he's made the team, his conditionning levels have improved.

I said it at the beginning of the year that it was unfair to judge Latendresse when he was playing 5 minutes a game with Bégin and Murray/Downey. until he was given a chance on a scoring line, he wouldn't be able to truly show all his talents.

I'm happy Carbonneau started him out on the 4th line though, it helped him process the game, get used to the speed, hitting, travelling, etc...without having too much pressure to produce.

I'd like to him better use his size though, he still seems a bit shy when it comes to battles along the board or in front of the net. But that's part of the process when you have a developing power forward, and he's ahead of the curve if you ask me.
Great points.

As far as using his size, I still think the DiMaio incident is still in his mind and could be for a longer period of time, probably until he makes another thunderous hit that, this time, won't leave a mark....But you see that he's truly looking to find himself. You sometime think that he would prefer not having to hit and play some finesse hockey. Then he realize that it's not necessarily his role and needs to hit once in a while and does so.

But you're right by saying that does kinds of players need time to find and understand their role and once he does, will be close to unstoppable. But for that, needs to be a little stronger, but that too comes with conditioning and time. And he will get to this.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Aperently he told to Carbo on day that he didn't feel to play that night... (he doesn't even have a spot, you cannot say that in my books )
!nkubus,

Kostitsyn never said that. It's Carbonneau who said that he felt that Kosty wasn't giving it all and that as a rookie you can't play a single minute like "you don't feel like playing".

But Kostitsyn never said that to Carbo.

Having said that, I think the problem is that you couldn't have 3 players on the same line who were playing the same way. And while I don't think Kosty was that bad, he didn't stand out like we wished he would do. But he'll be back if he continues playing like he does right now.....Might bring his fellow Grabo with him in his suitcase.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 12:17 PM
Teufelsdreck

In comparing Latendresse now to what he was like earlier in the season, I can see real progress, especially when he's playing without the puck. He's much more dependable than he was. I think he's learned a lot from playing with skilled veterans.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 12:45 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Kost had his chance last time he have been called up, but they said in the paper that his attitude was not good and Carbo told him that he needs to have a better attitude so they sent him down. Aperently he told to Carbo on day that he didn't feel to play that night... (he doesn't even have a spot, you cannot say that in my books )

For Lats he impressed me a lot in the last 15 games he seems confident , hes skating improved a lot, he was flying tonight, so gratz to Carbo and Gainey for not burning that kid
Lats had a good 10 games simply to get used to the league, while Kost after 17 games now in NHL is always used like hes a vet witch he isnt. My point is Lats "bringing along" was first class while Kost "bringing along" is/was very poor by the same team.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 12:52 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Lats had a good 10 games simply to get used to the league, while Kost after 17 games now in NHL is always used like hes a vet witch he isnt. My point is Lats "bringing along" was first class while Kost "bringing along" is/was very poor by the same team.
Latendresse earn that treatment. He was great for two training camp and work his butt off every shift. He gives them what they want, they give him a good treatment. What has Kostistyn done to deserve all the love around here? Except being dissapointing for 3 years, he has done nothing. Kost was given a fair chance and didn't take it. Too bad. Trade him while he has some worth, that guy won't be a part of our core.

Old
12-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Canadienjet

It took him a while but with more ice time and a chance to play with better quality players has really helped latendresse.

Canadienjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madevilz View Post
I can confirm this. The article said that Carbo found it unacceptable that a rookie takes some shifts off. Kost needs to improve his work ethic.
Kosty taking shifts off doesn't mean he said to Carbo "I don't feel like playing"

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 01:02 PM
Hockeymom67

I always believed in him ..

Hockeymom67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 01:07 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyHeatley#1Fan View Post
Latendresse earn that treatment. He was great for two training camp and work his butt off every shift. He gives them what they want, they give him a good treatment. What has Kostistyn done to deserve all the love around here? Except being dissapointing for 3 years, he has done nothing. Kost was given a fair chance and didn't take it. Too bad. Trade him while he has some worth, that guy won't be a part of our core.
What did lats do to deserve a 10 game "pass" Kost didnt? Lats didnt deserved it more than Kost, thats the reality. Now hes playing better but compare NHL stats to NHL stats and Kost got more pts than Lats in his 10 first game in the big leagues. The only "tries" Kost had are 4 games stint with 0 chances for errors, while Lats received a 82 games tryout at the beginning of the season, hows that for confidence building?

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 01:24 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
What did lats do to deserve a 10 game "pass" Kost didnt? Lats didnt deserved it more than Kost, thats the reality. Now hes playing better but compare NHL stats to NHL stats and Kost got more pts than Lats in his 10 first game in the big leagues. The only "tries" Kost had are 4 games stint with 0 chances for errors, while Lats received a 82 games tryout at the beginning of the season, hows that for confidence building?
What have Kostistyn done in his NHL camps so far? NOTHING! That's why Latendresse was given a 82 games tryout. For two years, he was way better than AK in camp. That and he is EXACTLY what the Habs need, a power forward. So, it is sure they will take their time with him. Plus Guillaume can't be sent to the AHL and recalled, so they have no other choice than to keep him, since they felt junior couldn't do him any good. We already have a lot of scoring wingers, Kostistyn is not needed. He was given a chance to play with Samsonov and Kovalev, he sucked. Face it.

Old
12-08-2006, 01:38 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti! View Post
Actually its 11pts in his last 15games on the first line with -1, and over 55 hits. I am very pleased... project this over the rest of the season and you have a 25G, 40pts rookie season (equivalent to Higgins last year).
I think it's sad that in the period of time that he's been on the first line, with hardly any PP time...He's managed to score nearly as many goals (6) as Ryder (7), who's played on the 1st line and first PP every game of the season.

He's doing much better than I thought he would on the 1st line, and I hope that when Higgins comes back, we can find a way to give him an offensive role.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 02:02 PM
Ghost of Saku

11 points in 14 games since joining the first line for Marshmellow...
He's currently on pace for 30+ points (tsn player bio), but if we take his current stats on the first line and pretend the season started Nov 7th when Higgins went down, he would be projected to have 64 points by season's end. That's currently a better pace than Kovalev's enjoying.

Obvious conclusion, Saku is god.

Ghost of Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 06:01 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyHeatley#1Fan View Post
What have Kostistyn done in his NHL camps so far? NOTHING! That's why Latendresse was given a 82 games tryout. For two years, he was way better than AK in camp. That and he is EXACTLY what the Habs need, a power forward. So, it is sure they will take their time with him. Plus Guillaume can't be sent to the AHL and recalled, so they have no other choice than to keep him, since they felt junior couldn't do him any good. We already have a lot of scoring wingers, Kostistyn is not needed. He was given a chance to play with Samsonov and Kovalev, he sucked. Face it.
Latendresse also sucked on that line, and on the fourth line. Kostitsyn also had a great camp this year, did you even see it? He's also tearing it up in the AHL since getting brought down and his stats last year are comparable to those Higgins, Perezhogin and Plekanec got in the AHL. I may think Kostitsyn is somewhat disapointing but for once, we can say he's developping. He's 21 and he's becoming a dominant player in the AHL, which is what's asked of him. Latendresse is better in my mind, especially in terms of hockey sense, but what the hell does Kostitsyn have to do with him? They are both Montreal Canadiens players and they are both part of the future of the franchise.

Also, have you seen a single game of Kostitsyn since he was brought down? Or a single one w/o Kovalev? He's looked very good.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote