HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Carbo new line in the 3rd

Old
12-08-2006, 01:04 AM
JMMR

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Kovalev and Koivu are the highest paid players on the team, they should be placed in situations which they enjoy and can prosper. I wonder what the lines will look like Saturday. But I do enjoy when the Habs have a lead and can shuffle to try to create chemistry.
Streit looks awesome on the fourth line, he has great awarness and has set up a few great plays and looks pretty good as a forward on the pk.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 02:45 AM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by resist- View Post
I really liked the new lines we saw at the end of the game vs Islanders... Looks like Carbo understood he cannot only wait to get the second line working.

Koivu, Ryder, and Kovalev obviously work well together... That line took a lot of shots from the front of the net, both on PP and 5on5.

For the second line, Lats size and Sammy's speed may produce some sparks... We saw a few, but time will tell...

Third line must remain the same, it has been the most consistent one this year. And Streit is adding interesting skills on the fourth line, really suprising to me...

Now let's just wait for higgins:

Kovalev - Koivu - Ryder
Lats - Higgins - Samsonov
Perez - Bonk - Johnson
Begin - Plekanec - Streit

Murrray and Downey on the press box, unless the habs are playing against a gritty team.

I would be very comfortable with that line up... Let's see what Carbo has in mind !!!
Put Lats on the 1st and Ryder on the second. Lats has great chemistry with Koivu and Ryder plays very good with Higgins. I would still prefer that we could get another centre man in a trade and have Higgins-Koivu-Kovy as our 1st line.

Clumsyhab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 04:41 AM
DieHardHabs

i like what everyone is talkin about with the lines... higgins with lats and sammy.. i would love to give that a try... but does anyone remember higgins last yr when koivu went down.. he was invisable... but then again he didnt play with lats or sammy ... higgins is a pimp.. im sure he could get sammy going.. but the connection between koivu and him was unreal.... i know a lot of ppl click with koivu ... savage did haha.. but who knows

DieHardHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 05:13 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardHabs View Post
i like what everyone is talkin about with the lines... higgins with lats and sammy.. i would love to give that a try... but does anyone remember higgins last yr when koivu went down.. he was invisable... but then again he didnt play with lats or sammy ... higgins is a pimp.. im sure he could get sammy going.. but the connection between koivu and him was unreal.... i know a lot of ppl click with koivu ... savage did haha.. but who knows
Right now:
Lats-Pleks-Samsonov

----------- -----------------

Later (Higgins back):

Lats-Koivu-Kovalev
Samsonov-Higgins-Ryder

or

Samsonov-Koivu-Kovalev
Lats-Higgins-Ryder

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 07:24 AM
NoKtUrN

New lines that could work

We all saw yesterday that Kovy needs to play with Koivu for the rest of the season that's for sure. We all wish we had another second line center as well. What if we get one and Higgins returns. Line could look a bit like this IMO:

Higgins - Koivu - Kovalev
Perez - new 2nd center - Ryder
Lats - Bonk - Johnson
Samsonov - Lapierre - Begin (If Samsonov does not work his *** off to get back on 2 top lines, put him in the stands and put Streit in his place.)

You can also switch Perez and Lats but I just love the way Perez plays right now. Just wanted to give him the extra confidence. Lats has been playing great but he will not take the demotion negativelly. It will also add some physical presence to that line and help on on his defensive game. What do you guys think?

NoKtUrN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 07:34 AM
VGTvidz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKtUrN View Post
We all saw yesterday that Kovy needs to play with Koivu for the rest of the season that's for sure. We all wish we had another second line center as well. What if we get one and Higgins returns. Line could look a bit like this IMO:

Higgins - Koivu - Kovalev
Perez - new 2nd center - Ryder
Lats - Bonk - Johnson
Samsonov - Lapierre - Begin (If Samsonov does not work his *** off to get back on 2 top lines, put him in the stands and put Streit in his place.)

You can also switch Perez and Lats but I just love the way Perez plays right now. Just wanted to give him the extra confidence. Lats has been playing great but he will not take the demotion negativelly. It will also add some physical presence to that line and help on on his defensive game. What do you guys think?

Where's Plekanec?

VGTvidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 07:37 AM
NoKtUrN

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGTvidz View Post
Where's Plekanec?
Oops, traded for 2nd line center with draft picks and another prospect or defensemen? LOL Or take Lapierre's place on 4th

NoKtUrN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 07:43 AM
goalchenyuk

If we put Bullis with Perreault and Zednik , the first line would have more speed and Bullis would add an defensive element ...

i don't miss those years ...

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 07:43 AM
Habruti!

I think there are couple of points I would like to make. First of all I do not understand why everyone is so keen on putting Higgins at center. He works well as a winger and lets not forget that while he worked well last year and the beguinning of this year he still only has about 40 games of very good hockey since he is playing with Koivu. I think playing with Koivu did wonders for his confidence and he can now make other players arround him better. But please don't mess him up right now... He is our best player and lets insure he can remain that way. Keep him on the wing.

Plekanek is not the problem, yes he did miss some chances but he had the entire pressure of the second line on his back (certainly the problems could not be on the wings cause his wingers where so talented...ya rigth.). He did great and his good on face offs and is also good defensively. He also seemed to have good chimistry with Lats, Latendresse made few very nice setups towards plekanek yesterday...

Ryder, Koivu, Kovalev: I realy liked that they tried them yesterday. They worked well together and I think that Kovalev learned (by being in the dog house for so long) that setting up Ryder is a good thing for him. Has long as he keeps doing it I think we will be all rigth. I would like to see these guys together. Ryder is a shooter, Koivu a setup guys and Kovalev can do both!

When Higgins comes back he should replace Sammy on the second line and I belive Higgins, Plekanek, Latendresse can be the answer to our second line.

Also like all the comments on Streit, he has been effective everywhere we tried him and I would say he is now our most versatile guy. Murray however, I can't stand! Bribg up Lapierre, it would be nice to see a Begin, Lapierre, Streit line.

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 07:45 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
Kovalev-koivu-ryder samsonov-plekanec-latendresse perezhogin-bonk-johnson begin-murray-streit WILL THOSE NEW LINE WORK ? discuss it
Carbo has finally seen the light !

It's about time that our 4.5 million dollar right winger plays on the first line with the best centerman. It was obvious afeter 5-10-15-20 games that the Samsonov-Kovalev combo would never work. I never understood why people were saying that Koivu and Kovalev can't play together. They were awesome during the playoffs before the lock out. And they are used to play together during PP.

We don't need a second-line center. We have it, and we have a second line already: Bonk-Perezhogin and Johnson.

When Higgins come back - and if no more injuries to our forwards happen - Carbo will have to make few choices. Should Higgins go back on the first line ? If so, can Ryder play with Plekanec and Latendresse. Will Higgins play center with Latendressse and Samsonov ? Or left wing with Pleks and Lats ? What to do with Samsonov ?

I also would like to see a fourth line with Streit-Bégin and Dandenault. We have six other d-men who want to play every game. And Downey and Murray can be put in the stands or sent down to Hamilton.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 08:43 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

I wouldn't mind reuniting Higgins, Plekanec and Ryder. Those guys have proven they could work really well together. Latendresse, Koivu and Kovalev could be given a shot. Or you simply go back to the original first line and put Plekanec between Latendresse and Kovalev. This implies getting rid of Samsonov though and I'm usually one to think a new player can turn it around even after a few months of mediocrity, but I must admit there's not much I like about Samsonov's game at the moment and his salary is a concern for next year.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 08:58 AM
Habitants

like everyone else. these lines suit me for now, and i think we could stand to use them for a number of games, then insert higgins when available. Kovalev MUST remain with koivu, otherwise he will not be happy. IMO, they make the most offensive threatening duo that we can put together, and we need that so that other teams will fear us. they can rack up serious points together.

the reality is that we DO need another center, and in order to obtain that center one of the following would likely be included in the trade:
Ryder, Samsanov, Plekanec
unless that center is a ufa veteran who we can trade some minor stuff for, but that guy retired this week...

for now we stick with the new line combos, and i think they will work out well
imagine if lats and samsanov are gold together and sammy gets going like a turbo motorcycle on NOS!

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 09:43 AM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by resist- View Post
I really liked the new lines we saw at the end of the game vs Islanders... Looks like Carbo understood he cannot only wait to get the second line working.

Koivu, Ryder, and Kovalev obviously work well together... That line took a lot of shots from the front of the net, both on PP and 5on5.

For the second line, Lats size and Sammy's speed may produce some sparks... We saw a few, but time will tell...

Third line must remain the same, it has been the most consistent one this year. And Streit is adding interesting skills on the fourth line, really suprising to me...

Now let's just wait for higgins:

Kovalev - Koivu - Ryder
Lats - Higgins - Samsonov
Perez - Bonk - Johnson
Begin - Plekanec - Streit

Murrray and Downey on the press box, unless the habs are playing against a gritty team.

I would be very comfortable with that line up... Let's see what Carbo has in mind !!!
Holy off-wing Russians Batman!

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 09:54 AM
Boulette Cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
bring up lapierre and i'd be really happy
+ 1000000000000000

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 10:36 AM
baldrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
Kovalev-koivu-ryder samsonov-plekanec-latendresse perezhogin-bonk-johnson begin-murray-streit WILL THOSE NEW LINE WORK ? discuss it
Will these lines work? but AT LAST Carbonneau is shuffling. What I do know is that Higgins' return means that someone comes off the first two lines barring a trade and I don't expect a trade. For me the logical move is Plekanec back to center the 4th line where he belongs, it makes a line of Begin/Plekanec/Murray or Streit which would make the Habs a true four line team.

Of course that leaves the problem of a 2nd line center of Higgins or Kovalev. Has Samsonov ever played center? He seems more of a playmaker than a finisher IMO.

ps; Poor Ryder, he's snakebit, 7 shots which were good chances and I'll add my name to those impressed by Streit as a forward

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 10:42 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
I think I'm the only guy who's sceptical about Higgins at C. I don't know, I guess we'll see, but there's a reason he was moved to LW, and I just don't see his game translating that well back to C.

Anyway, agreed about Streit.
I agree. Maybe Higgins would play well at C, but I'm a bit uneasy with it. To me, you take an exceptional winger to make an average C. You play away from his strengths. I could be wrong, but I just don't see it, though giving it a try doesn't hurt.

From what I think I saw last night, I wouldn't let Kovalev and Plekanec on the same ice surface. I got the impression that they were playing in spite of each other and had no interest in using the other as an option. Esp. Plekanec last night.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 12:29 PM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
Will these lines work? but AT LAST Carbonneau is shuffling. What I do know is that Higgins' return means that someone comes off the first two lines barring a trade and I don't expect a trade. For me the logical move is Plekanec back to center the 4th line where he belongs, it makes a line of Begin/Plekanec/Murray or Streit which would make the Habs a true four line team.

Of course that leaves the problem of a 2nd line center of Higgins or Kovalev. Has Samsonov ever played center? He seems more of a playmaker than a finisher IMO.

ps; Poor Ryder, he's snakebit, 7 shots which were good chances and I'll add my name to those impressed by Streit as a forward
Why Plekanek, R you suggesting Samsonov deserve a place on the second line more the Plekanek does..? I like Demers' comment. Lets waive Sammy.

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 05:10 PM
baldrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti! View Post
Why Plekanek, R you suggesting Samsonov deserve a place on the second line more the Plekanek does..? I like Demers' comment. Lets waive Sammy.
Not at all, I have posted my feelings regarding Samsonov many times, but I don't expect Gainey to get rid of Samsonov and he did back Samsonov when Carbonneau tried to move him off the line with Kovalev.

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 06:13 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
I'm anxious to see what happens with these lines when Higgins comes back. One of the top 6 forwards will be demoted and he's most likely not gonna be happy about it. Hopefully, they don't give Latendresse the rookie treatment, he's been very good and brings a physical dimension to this team. I think Samsonov can stay on the top lines if he starts playing physical and showing he doesn't mind taking punishement. If not, then he'll quickly find himself not only on the fourth line, but on another team as well.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 06:48 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti! View Post
Oh, sure, pay half his salary while the Bruins use him against the Habs for 6 games this season and 8 next season.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 08:06 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbox View Post
Some kind of change was needed... these lines are worth a try for at least a few games.

I've always liked Streit, but seeing him as a forward has been something else! I like it.
I havent always liked streit but i do now. He has been growing on me but now that he has played consistantly lately and now this winger role has me a believer in the guy. Way to go, he is very very useful now. Him and dandeneault and bouillon are good depth defenceman. Rivet will not be missed next season if we don't keep him. except his leadership, he is not needed here much longer. Thx for the dedication but i see this as his last year in MTL.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote