HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

samsonov and gainey

Old
12-08-2006, 11:23 AM
krmason

vCash: 500
samsonov and gainey

Last wednesdy, the announcers mentioned that Samsonov had a long meeting with Gainey before the game. Perhaps I missed any other info but did anyone else find out what the meeting was about? Perhaps sammy asked for a trade?

krmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 11:27 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I don't see what cause he'd have to ask for a trade, he's getting all the ice time and all the chances in the world, and he's playing on a second line where he belongs (even if he isn't producing like it). Mind you, I can't really speculate what the meeting was about either...

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 11:41 AM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

maybe it's just me, but I don't think I've seen Samsonov smile all season yet. Also, I've never seen him say a single word to a teammate on the bench or on the ice during stoppages.

imo, he clearly isn't happy in Montreal...and fans cleary aren't happy with his play.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 11:55 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Also pierre mcguire said the same things he doesnt look happy in mtl

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 11:57 AM
znk

Gainey was just asking him if he wanted to be in the next "St-Hubert" commercial.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 11:57 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I don't understand how he can't be happy here...unhappy with his play, sure. But here? We're like a step away from being the Russian national team, he plays big minutes every game...what else can you give him? I mean it's not like I know what's going on inside the locker room or anything but sheesh...

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 12:12 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

We seriously gotta get rid of this player... He's overpaid, useless and he doesn't help the chemestry in the locker room at all. I think we should trade him for a 7th round pick in 2011 and we pay the shipping.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 12:22 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
We seriously gotta get rid of this player... He's overpaid, useless and he doesn't help the chemestry in the locker room at all. I think we should trade him for a 7th round pick in 2011 and we pay the shipping.
Give him a chance to play with some one other then Kovalev.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 12:32 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I think we should give him a chance on another line. However if that doesn't work, Samsonov for Lang straight up. Good deal for both sides I think.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 12:40 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I don't understand how he can't be happy here...unhappy with his play, sure. But here? We're like a step away from being the Russian national team, he plays big minutes every game...what else can you give him? I mean it's not like I know what's going on inside the locker room or anything but sheesh...
Just that is enough to be unhappy here, if he was in a 3-4 games slump or something ok... but when you're playing bad all year it gets to you somehow.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 12:41 PM
Coco Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
If you were GM for any other team, would you trade a 7th round pick for Samsonov?
I'm not sure I would...especially since you'll have to pay him $3.5 next year too...

Coco Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 01:07 PM
le_sean

i'm sure it was more of a meeting about the trade rumours and possibly gainey telling him that he's not going anywhere. like countless of others said before me, him and kovalev should be separated, give him line-mates he can compliment. i'm pretty sure when he played in edmonton he didn't play with hemsky, who is just a puck-carrying and passer player like him.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 01:48 PM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I think we should give him a chance on another line. However if that doesn't work, Samsonov for Lang straight up. Good deal for both sides I think.
I agree 100%.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 02:08 PM
Jakomyte

Let's all take a deep breath and remember how long it took Bonk to fit into this team. I know he also had some injury problems, but he really started to be a solid player for us only last Feb/March. Now look at how important he has become to the team!

Its very difficult and frustrating to see a player with Samsonov's potential not producing, but here's hoping he can find his niche on the team as one of our two top 6 LWs by the time the spring rolls around.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 02:44 PM
BORAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
Let's all take a deep breath and remember how long it took Bonk to fit into this team. I know he also had some injury problems, but he really started to be a solid player for us only last Feb/March. Now look at how important he has become to the team!

Its very difficult and frustrating to see a player with Samsonov's potential not producing, but here's hoping he can find his niche on the team as one of our two top 6 LWs by the time the spring rolls around.
Good point !

What RDS was saying is that is was a '' quatre vérité '' thing, Samsonov knows he isn't worth much as of now, Gainey told him that he knows it takes time to turn the jets on, when you're a Samsonov type player ( remember Teem Selanne with the AVS etc... )

Funny you guys mention Detroit, I can guarantee you both these teams are talking right now, Samsonov has all his stuff in detroit , Houses, Cars etc...

there is gonna be a move of sorts, but it will certainly be , if it happens, a : You dump a salary, I dump a salary sort of move

BORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 02:45 PM
superstar436

yesterday in the 2nd period break danny and mcguirre said that sammy's agent met bob 2 times in the last 2 weeks.

superstar436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 02:45 PM
BLONG7

BG is a patient man...the FANS on the other hand...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 03:22 PM
Dark4ng3l

I dont think samsonov is really to blame here and I dont think people should be on his back this much. Against the islanders yesterday one of our goals was the direct result of sammy outplaying 3 islanders in our zone to finally make the pass that led to lats goal(I think).

He has proven for many years that he is a good winger and that he can score goals and make plays. Last year he was a part of the cinderella team that made it to 1 game of winning the cup, its not like he was a 4th liner on a powerhouse team that had nothing to do with that success.

Obviously the problem is the lines, its not like kovalev and plekanec are doing great scoring wise either. I think carbo will at least try some things to see if they work as we say againt new york.

The big questions is whan higgins will return will he center the 2nd line? I think I would rather have higging playing at 75% of what he did early on if it means he gets the guys that are underperforming going(2 good lines is better than being a 1 line team). Also(if carbo stick with kovalev and sammy on the 2nd line, but I dont think he will) higgins would help the line defensively and that has been the 2nd line's major weakness up wo now.

I think the problem with samsonov is that the media and the fans are really sticking it to him. If I was him I would be unhappy too. If you feel that everyone hates you then its normal not to be happy.

In the end I think sammy was not a bad acquisition its just that we dont have the assets playing with him now to get him going. It could be worse. Teams like Phoenix and Philadelphia have most of their roster underperforming.

And finally I would like to add that ryder has not been that great this years either(offensively anyways). He seems to be playing better at protecting the puck and denfensive zone play than he was last year where he was invisible untill he got a pass. Nobody is *****ing about ryder and I think his situation is somewhat similar to sammy's except ryder plays with our top playmake and sammy does not.

Dark4ng3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 03:34 PM
Poochie_D

I'm positive if Samsonov was on Koivu's line he'd start producing a hell of a lot more.

Poochie_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 03:43 PM
Tusk

I wasn't sure of this signing in the summer, but, with Lattendresse showing he can play on a top line and Higgins coming back from injury, maybe dumping him for whatever the Habs could get wouldn't be such a bad move.

I'm not the knee-jerk type of fan reactionary but I'm not against being patient with him either, I guess time will show us what Gainey is thinking.

Tusk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 03:46 PM
ppil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
On 110% yestertay they were saying that BG and Carbo had a 30min meeting with Sammy but no one knows the official reason of this meeting.

The problem with Sammy, and he said it earlier this season, it's the fact that he feels useless to the team, when they wanted to put him on the fourth line he said that when he signed with the habs he though that he would have a big role but he wasn't feeling usefull to this team.

When you say that he's getting big minutes, I don't think it's true, look at the last 6 games ( I know you'll tell me that it is his fault but still )

Florida: 16:34 PPtime: 1:19 on 4:00
Carolina: 13:59 PPtime: 0:04 on 2:47
Toronto: 11:35 PPtime: 0:07 on 6:16
Boston: 14:03 PPtime: 0:00 on 3:34
New Jersey: 13:19 PPtime: 0:05 on 4:00
NY Islanders: 12:58 PPtime: 1:30 on 9:00

I don't think he gets 2nd line winger time, I don't think he gets quality PP time ( aka the second unit with Pleks and Latendresse). How do you want him to like playing in Montreal, we don't use his only attribute aka the offense, this guy has always played about the half of the power play and with the bests players on his team but in Montreal we expect him to do better with less ice time and almost no quality power play time.

I don't like his attitude, if I was him I would try to work harder and all but at the same time, it's like if he came here as a nobody, I mean he's semi-veteran offensive player and we use him like a rookie. If he was getting power play time with Koivu, he would produce just as much as Kovalev.

ppil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 03:56 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppil View Post
Good informative and objective post.

I think it's not hard to guess what Gainey told Sammy during that meeting. I'm sure BG expected to come out flying againts NJ/NY. Didn't happen though.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 03:58 PM
Calamari

very good points ppil, I still can't understand how sammy is not being used on pp. It really doesn't make sense.
Also it is no secret that players in any sport play the best when they are confident and enjoying themselves. I think Sammy can be a huge impact player for us. I've been a fan of his years before this and i have never seen him play this poorly. He cleary has no confidence and maybe if the coach showed more confidence in him, things will change.

Calamari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 04:59 PM
bipolarhabfan

I think Gainey said that we should wait until January or February before passing judgment on Sammy. I will do the same. The second line sucks because all three players play a style that is too similar to each other. In other words, the players do not compliment each other. When Higgins comes back I think he should be placed on the second line, which would make the lines look something like this:

Samy-Koivu-Latendresse
Kovalev-Higgins-Ryder
Perez-Bonk-Johnson
Begin-Plekanec-Striet/Murray/Downey

Moreover, I agree with the above comment on Bonk. It took him a hell of a long time to fit in on the team and has played above expectations this year. I think Sammy is following the same development with the Habs. He will start to produce more consistently in the New Year and has started to play better of late. In last night’s game against the Isles, he was the reason for Giu’s goal because he drew three Isles towards him.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 06:25 PM
DieHardHabs

sammy with koivu...all problems fixed... guranteed... isnt that what we always say play with koivu .... ur money

DieHardHabs is offline   Reply With Quote