HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

47th Obsequious Banter Thread - Patrick Thoresen is Titanium

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2013, 08:33 PM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
Finally get my first brand new car. Brand new 2014 Honda Accord LX . Seriously can't wait to go get it on Wednesday .

Old
10-20-2013, 11:26 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Finally get my first brand new car. Brand new 2014 Honda Accord LX . Seriously can't wait to go get it on Wednesday .
Congrats! I'm looking for a car myself, though brand new is unlikely. My car decided to burst into flames about 5 weeks ago. Fortunately it was parked and I was nowhere near it, and to our surprise, covered by insurance. I had been living part-time paycheck to part-time paycheck and not saving a dime...but this really kicked me in the ass. Hope to be in something dependable by my birthday next year.

Old
10-20-2013, 11:32 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Hope so. I know if the AC didn't die in my 2001 CRV (for the 2nd time too, and the last time it was fixed, it cost $1100), I'd still be driving it. Just from me though, I can always recommend Honda. Personally, I try to avoid all American cars, unless it's like a Mustang or Corvette.

Old
10-20-2013, 11:39 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Hope so. I know if the AC didn't die in my 2001 CRV (for the 2nd time too, and the last time it was fixed, it cost $1100), I'd still be driving it. Just from me though, I can always recommend Honda. Personally, I try to avoid all American cars, unless it's like a Mustang or Corvette.
I had a 2000 Monte Carlo, and it always had some sort of issue, but for the most part ran spectacularly. The fire was sudden and unexpected, it'd gone over a year I think without needing something done to the car aside from the basics.

But yes I'm also considering Hondas, Toyotas, Suburus...stuff like that, built to last.

Old
10-21-2013, 01:25 AM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I had a 2000 Monte Carlo, and it always had some sort of issue, but for the most part ran spectacularly. The fire was sudden and unexpected, it'd gone over a year I think without needing something done to the car aside from the basics.

But yes I'm also considering Hondas, Toyotas, Suburus...stuff like that, built to last.
My experience has always been that newer cars last much less longer than anything made before 1990. The crumby part is that back in NJ, most of those cars have been beat to death.

Hooray for the desert!

My Colorado friends all swear by older Suburu Outbacks. I can't bring myself to buy anything remotely new.

Old
10-21-2013, 01:26 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
My experience has always been that newer cars last much less longer than anything made before 1990. The crumby part is that back in NJ, most of those cars have been beat to death.

Hooray for the desert!

My Colorado friends all swear by older Suburu Outbacks. I can't bring myself to buy anything remotely new.
East coast humidity murders cars. When I was out west I was shocked at all the older vehicles I saw around, they are a lot rarer here.

10-21-2013, 01:47 AM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
East coast humidity murders cars. When I was out west I was shocked at all the older vehicles I saw around, they are a lot rarer here.
Humidity in the summer and road salt in the winter. Its a shame. That being said, if you can find an older vehicle that is structurally sound body-wise, ride it til it dies.

Old
10-21-2013, 02:04 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Humidity in the summer and road salt in the winter. Its a shame. That being said, if you can find an older vehicle that is structurally sound body-wise, ride it til it dies.
I wish. I need the gas mileage. I'm rocking a Hyundai Elantra right now, getting 40mpg. I'll probably have an hour + commute next year. They have a ten year warranty, when that runs out I'll be getting another car when the current one has the slightest issue.

I used to drive a Crown Vic around. I would love to have that V8 rear wheel drive back.

Old
10-21-2013, 07:22 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
I wish. I need the gas mileage. I'm rocking a Hyundai Elantra right now, getting 40mpg. I'll probably have an hour + commute next year. They have a ten year warranty, when that runs out I'll be getting another car when the current one has the slightest issue.

I used to drive a Crown Vic around. I would love to have that V8 rear wheel drive back.
Yea I know, nothing quite like it. I just picked this up no I didn't and took a pic of it outside my house no I didn't.

Old
10-21-2013, 08:32 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:

I feel you. When I started driving (2005) I had a 1983 GMC pickup. Maybe 15 mpg. In college, I was given a 1987 Monte Carlo that maybe got 20 mpg. When I moved to AZ in 2009, I went 2.5 years without a car.

I picked up a 1974 Dart out in the desert in Fall 2011. With a stock 318 and a dual carb, she gets about 10 mpg, no more than 15 on the highway. Thank god for the train.

Old
10-22-2013, 10:56 AM
Hollywood Couturier

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...ncaa-sanctions

Quote:
Miami's football program will not receive any additional bowl bans but will lose nine total scholarships over the next three years as part of the penalties handed down Tuesday by the NCAA as the Nevin Shapiro scandal presumably drew to a close.
Are you kidding me with this ****? I know i'm biased because i'm an SC supporter. I voiced my displeasure about Penn State getting their sanctions reduced, but how in the hell did Miami only get this? When this stuff came out their was talks of the "death penalty" and this is what they get?

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
10-22-2013, 11:10 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...ncaa-sanctions

Are you kidding me with this ****? I know i'm biased because i'm an SC supporter. I voiced my displeasure about Penn State getting their sanctions reduced, but how in the hell did Miami only get this? When this stuff came out their was talks of the "death penalty" and this is what they get?
It's pretty simple the NCAA got caught with their pants down in this situation when they were paying off the guys lawyer. It's hard to enforce rules when you can't even follow your own rules. Miami has also been self-imposing a bowl ban for the last two years along with playing with 70 or so scholarship players. So to me this is a fair ruling, it honestly could have been nothing with the way the NCAA conducted themselves in the investigation.

Personally I'm not in favor of bowl bans & scholarship losses because to me they punish the wrong people (the players & fans). I think they should just slap the universities with huge fines in all cases.

Old
10-22-2013, 11:17 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
kind of unfair to the kids who were not around in the Penn State scandal and the Miami situation. I agree with LOD, give the school huge fines. Sure at Penn State they were given a opt out and were allowed to change schools but still. its puts a huge burden on the players. What do the school higher ups get? nothing. they still get there cozy job and the paycheck.

Old
10-22-2013, 11:26 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
kind of unfair to the kids who were not around in the Penn State scandal and the Miami situation. I agree with LOD, give the school huge fines. Sure at Penn State they were given a opt out and were allowed to change schools but still. its puts a huge burden on the players. What do the school higher ups get? nothing. they still get there cozy job and the paycheck.
It pisses me off when guys like Pete Carroll & Terrell Pryor leave on their own terms unscathed while their teammates & coaches who had nothing to do with it have to get punished.

Old
10-22-2013, 11:31 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

The NCAA is a freight train of noxious chemicals crashing into a plane wreck.

Old
10-22-2013, 11:36 AM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
It pisses me off when guys like Pete Carroll & Terrell Pryor leave on their own terms unscathed while their teammates & coaches who had nothing to do with it have to get punished.
Technically Pete Carroll never got in trouble for anything. The got their sanctions because Reggie Bush's parents got a house and OJ Mayo got gifts from agents before even stepping on the court. I'm not going to pretend that Carroll never did anything wrong because every coach is doing something that's a violation at one point or another.

Quote:
It's pretty simple the NCAA got caught with their pants down in this situation when they were paying off the guys lawyer. It's hard to enforce rules when you can't even follow your own rules. Miami has also been self-imposing a bowl ban for the last two years along with playing with 70 or so scholarship players. So to me this is a fair ruling, it honestly could have been nothing with the way the NCAA conducted themselves in the investigation.

Personally I'm not in favor of bowl bans & scholarship losses because to me they punish the wrong people (the players & fans). I think they should just slap the universities with huge fines in all cases.
Then they just raise tuition.

Old
10-22-2013, 11:44 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Technically Pete Carroll never got in trouble for anything. The got their sanctions because Reggie Bush's parents got a house and OJ Mayo got gifts from agents before even stepping on the court. I'm not going to pretend that Carroll never did anything wrong because every coach is doing something that's a violation at one point or another.

Then they just raise tuition.
Agreed! Huge fines won't solve anything. The sports teams will still likely receive the same funding while the schools cut back/raise costs elsewhere.

10-22-2013, 11:47 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
The NCAA is a freight train of noxious chemicals crashing into a plane wreck.
I uh have pretty much nothing to add to this.

Old
10-22-2013, 12:04 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Wasn't he slapped with a show-clause? I really can't remember but he high-tailed it out of there pretty quickly from out of there from what I do remember.

USC just got sanctioned at a wrong time to be honest. The NCAA has been taking some serious body blows after the PSU & Miami cases by some higher media members.

Old
10-22-2013, 12:14 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Wasn't he slapped with a show-clause? I really can't remember but he high-tailed it out of there pretty quickly from out of there from what I do remember.

USC just got sanctioned at a wrong time to be honest. The NCAA has been taking some serious body blows after the PSU & Miami cases by some higher media members.
He didn't get a show-cause. The running back coach Todd McNair did for providing false info and covering some things up about Reggie Bush. People always assume that Carroll was a "dirty" guy but their never was anything that came down on him.

Definitely true about them getting sanctioned at the wrong time but since that time they've appealed to have them reduced and after Penn State got theirs reduced the NCAA said that "the two weren't comparable."

Old
10-22-2013, 12:17 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
He didn't get a show-cause. The running back coach Todd McNair did for providing false info and covering some things up about Reggie Bush. People always assume that Carroll was a "dirty" guy but their never was anything that came down on him.

Definitely true about them getting sanctioned at the wrong time but since that time they've appealed to have them reduced and after Penn State got theirs reduced the NCAA said that "the two weren't comparable."
I guess you have to do something really awful to get a penalty reduced.

Old
10-22-2013, 02:20 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:

Hooray for the desert!

Got a 01 suby outback in the driveway. 192,000 miles and still going.

Broke down and bought a 2012 Camry SE special edition last year. The thing is a thing of beaut. Good gas milage too

Old
10-22-2013, 03:04 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

I greatly dislike the NCAA. They're like Enron handing out fines to other companies for being corrupt.

Old
10-23-2013, 07:19 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Got my car. Metallic Grey 2014 Honda Accord LX. So ****ing nice .

Old
10-25-2013, 12:45 PM
RussianRocket10

Just had my first cheesesteak from John's and it was awesome.

Closed Thread