HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-14 Adirondack Phantoms (AHL), ECHL, NCAA, Juniors, International, etc.

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2013, 06:20 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
If the Flyers end up drafting a defenseman, I know Ekblad is the popular figure, but I'm kind of hoping that Roland McKeown is someone they look at. He's a fantastic offensive defenseman that is really putting his defensive game together. His play is very similar to that of Brian Leetch. Just silky smooth with the puck. Could be a great addition to the future Flyers blue line.
I'm actually more of fan of McKeown than Ekblad too.

Old
10-19-2013, 07:30 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
I'm preparing the GDT for next Saturday's game vs Binghamton. Could you share some links ? I need any official twitter accounts for the team and reporters and / or media websites. I'd like to put the links for the twitter accounts and an image of the tweeter in the GDT, and then links for any relevant articles with a preview / snippet. Appreciate your help.

Old
10-19-2013, 09:11 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Phantoms lost in a shootout. Even with Raffl and McGinn called up Noebels was still scratched.

Old
10-19-2013, 10:27 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Can you say what the line combos have been ?

Old
10-19-2013, 10:42 PM
Jack de la Hoya

It isn't that people are ignoring you--its that we only get tidbits of information from our obscure AFL affiliate this year. Most of the team's top prospects are still in juniors, so the AHL squad doesn't get a ton of attention around here.

Old
10-20-2013, 08:22 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Looks like Nick Cousins is also beginning to get his pro game underneath him. Had a good game last night (1 goal/1 assist) and had a goal the previous night and seems to be getting more and more confident out there. More important, he hasn't done anything stupid at the pro level. He's kept his yap shut and he's just played his game. Got a real good feeling that Cousins will probably be in Philadelphia around mid season (along with Akeson) and get real extended look at the wing on a line with Couturier and Read.

Old
10-20-2013, 08:52 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainDotC View Post
Can you say what the line combos have been ?
This is the twitter of the Phantoms beat writer, Diana Nearhos, writes for this paper
http://poststar.com/sports/phantoms/ . Here is her twitter https://twitter.com/dianacnearhos . She sometimes if not always lists lines for games on twitter and possibly in her articles too. Another nearby paper might cover them but I can't remember what it is called.

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 10-20-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old
10-20-2013, 09:14 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Looks like Nick Cousins is also beginning to get his pro game underneath him. Had a good game last night (1 goal/1 assist) and had a goal the previous night and seems to be getting more and more confident out there. More important, he hasn't done anything stupid at the pro level. He's kept his yap shut and he's just played his game. Got a real good feeling that Cousins will probably be in Philadelphia around mid season (along with Akeson) and get real extended look at the wing on a line with Couturier and Read.
Straka has also had a decent start points wise. Any development of the phantoms is huge right now. If Cousins, Straka, Alt and possibly even Konan become NHL ready soon, it will allow the big club to trade fairly significant players to upgrade the team.

Old
10-20-2013, 09:27 AM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
This is the twitter of the Phantoms beat writer, Diana Nearhos, writes for this paper
http://poststar.com/sports/phantoms/ . Here is her twitter https://twitter.com/dianacnearhos . She sometimes if not always lists lines for games on twitter and possibly in her articles too. Another nearby paper might cover them but I can't remember what it is called.
Very helpful - thank you ! There'll be a GDT in the Ottawa forum on Saturday with links to streaming and such.

Old
10-20-2013, 11:12 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Who is leaving to make room for Cousins and Akeson?

Old
10-20-2013, 12:34 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
The guys Homer trades in the next couple weeks, or the guys who get hurt on Thurs vs. the Rangers.

I would like to see Akeson get a chance this year, Cousins can wait until next year, but both of them have the kind of creativity that is sorely missing right now.

Old
10-20-2013, 12:37 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I think he means if the team continues to suck. In which case who knows who could potentially get moved. Talbot and/or Simmonds maybe in a package for something or picks. This is all just speculation but I tend to agree that if the team continues to suck some young guys will get an opportunity to play because of a trade.

Btw, Cousins has 2G and 3A in 6 games, Akeson and Straka both have 5A and 0G in 6 games. They are all tied for the team lead in points in the early going.

Cousins only had 1A in his 7 AHL games last season, it's nice to see the offense coming around for him at the next level. But if you've watched him play before you'd know it was just a matter of time. That's why I really don't get why people think is O game won't transfer to the NHL.

Old
10-20-2013, 05:21 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
I think he means if the team continues to suck. In which case who knows who could potentially get moved. Talbot and/or Simmonds maybe in a package for something or picks. This is all just speculation but I tend to agree that if the team continues to suck some young guys will get an opportunity to play because of a trade.

Btw, Cousins has 2G and 3A in 6 games, Akeson and Straka both have 5A and 0G in 6 games. They are all tied for the team lead in points in the early going.

Cousins only had 1A in his 7 AHL games last season, it's nice to see the offense coming around for him at the next level. But if you've watched him play before you'd know it was just a matter of time. That's why I really don't get why people think is O game won't transfer to the NHL.
Cousins is also a much better skater than what most were lead to believe. The other thing that I like about Cousins is that he's a smart player. You can see it every time he's on the ice. I know someone said that 40 points for Cousins in the AHL would be a successful year, but I think if he's there for the full season, 65 to 70 isn't out of the question.

Straka is doing alright too. However, I'd like to see him finish more. He's a goal scorer and right now, he's not putting pucks in the net. I hope it's just a matter of time before he starts putting the puck in the back of the net. I still have high hopes for him and think he can be a top six guy at the NHL level.

I would like to know what's up with Noebels though because he should be playing. Makes me wonder if there's an injury that's not being disclosed.

Old
10-20-2013, 06:58 PM
Winston Wolf

2 more goals for Laughton today, with a period left. He now leads the league in short handed goals with 3. It'll be nice if he can be the short handed threat that this team hasn't had since Richards left.

Old
10-20-2013, 08:15 PM
LegionOfDoom91

CHL
Goulbourne- 10GP 2G 4A 6PTS +3

Laughton- 8GP 10G 7A 17PTS +6

Leier- 11GP 5G 9A 14PTS +4

Morin- 8GP 2G 3A 5PTS -2

Stolarz- 8GP 2.45GAA .923SV% 6-1 1SO

USHL
Amorosa- 5GP 0G 2A 2PTS +2

Drake- 7GP 0G 1A 1PTS 0

Larsson- 10GP 1G 3A 4PTS -1

SHL
Hagg- 14GP 0G 4A 4PTS +2

KHL
Vasilyev- 13GP 0G 1A 1PTS +1

NCAA
Gostisbehere- 4GP 1G 3A 4PTS

Stats after the weekend.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 10-20-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old
10-20-2013, 09:38 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
CHL
Goulbourne- 10GP 2G 4A 6PTS +3
So much for being JUST a goon.

Old
10-20-2013, 09:50 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
Eh, Ill give him credit for his defensive play which alot of people have seen and said is very good (think what some people hoped Rinaldo would bring).

That being said though I wouldnt be amazed of 6 points as a 19 turning 20 yr old.

Old
10-20-2013, 09:53 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
Well, to be fair, even goons do quite well in CHL. They're still good players all things considered, but that doesn't mean their NHL projection is anything more than being goons.

Old
10-20-2013, 10:08 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Well, to be fair, even goons do quite well in CHL. They're still good players all things considered, but that doesn't mean their NHL projection is anything more than being goons.
Garrett Klotz & his 10 points in a 150 WHL games says otherwise.

I didn't like the pick then & still don't now but to call Goulbourne a "goon" isn't fair. The kid has some skill although it may be limited.

Old
10-20-2013, 10:20 PM
Ryker

Quote:

I didn't like the pick then & still don't now but to call Goulbourne a "goon" isn't fair. The kid has some skill although it may be limited.
OK, I guess not all do well. A lot do, however. Take a look at the numbers Crombeen and Clune, last year's leaders in major penalties, posted. Or Boll and Konopka, or even Frazer McLaren and Westgarth. Sure, then you've got Orr and Scott, but you still seem to have a majority of goons doing comparably well or better to what Goulbourne is doing at the moment.

Oh, also, I'm not making any judgement calls on Goulbourne. I know absolutely nothing about him, and have forgotten he was even drafted. I was just trying to make a point here, in that half-decent CHL numbers don't say much about "more than just a goon" potential, at least as far as the NHL is concerned.

Old
10-20-2013, 10:43 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
OK, I guess not all do well. A lot do, however. Take a look at the numbers Crombeen and Clune, last year's leaders in major penalties, posted. Or Boll and Konopka, or even Frazer McLaren and Westgarth. Sure, then you've got Orr and Scott, but you still seem to have a majority of goons doing comparably well or better to what Goulbourne is doing at the moment.

Oh, also, I'm not making any judgement calls on Goulbourne. I know absolutely nothing about him, and have forgotten he was even drafted. I was just trying to make a point here, in that half-decent CHL numbers don't say much about "more than just a goon" potential, at least as far as the NHL is concerned.
Boll, Konopka, Crombeen, & Clune are decent 4th liners on top of being fighters which Goulbourne projects to be in the NHL.

Westgarth & Scott played in the NCAA opposed to the CHL but them along with Orr & McLaren bring nothing else to the table except fighting.

As for Goulbourne, the kid is a pretty good skater. He can get up & down the ice pretty quickly. He's also a good defensive player (plays the PK & a lot of defensive situations for Kelowna). Offensively he'll probably top out as a 5 goal 10 point guy max in the NHL like the other guys mentioned up in the first paragraph.

Old
10-20-2013, 10:53 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Boll, Konopka, Crombeen, & Clune are decent 4th liners on top of being fighters which Goulbourne projects to be in the NHL.
Yeah, with the exception of Konopka I know they are, but they're still the go-to guys on their respective teams when it comes to fighting.

Quote:
Westgarth & Scott played in the NCAA opposed to the CHL but them along with Orr & McLaren bring nothing else to the table except fighting.
Well, Orr does troll opposing teams with a goal here and there. But if you're looking for players closer to these guys here in terms of their team roles, you can also take a look at Shelley's and Cote's numbers. Not half bad.

Old
10-20-2013, 10:56 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Yeah, with the exception of Konopka I know they are, but they're still the go-to guys on their respective teams when it comes to fighting.
Konopka is always up there in FO% in the NHL so he does at least have one other secondary skill.

Old
10-20-2013, 11:19 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:

Riley Cote scored 50+ points in the WHL twice. Arron Asham put up 90+ points in the WHL twice. Konopka put up 60+ points twice. Chris Simon put up 74 points one year. Rob Ray had a 52 point season. Bob Probert put up back to back 70 point seasons. Goons that make the NHL were very likely decent offensive players in juniors.

Old
10-20-2013, 11:37 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
Riley Cote scored 50+ points in the WHL twice. Arron Asham put up 90+ points in the WHL twice. Konopka put up 60+ points twice. Chris Simon put up 74 points one year. Rob Ray had a 52 point season. Bob Probert put up back to back 70 point seasons. Goons that make the NHL were very likely decent offensive players in juniors.
Goulbourne still has this year to finish & possibly next year as an overager. So there's a possibility he puts up numbers like those guys considering some of them put those numbers up towards the end of their career in juniors.

As for goon, at least under my definition as someone who contributes absolutely nothing but fighting, I wouldn't consider Simon, Probert, & Asham ones considering they each had a few seasons in the NHL where they scored 15+ goals. Those guys had other skills on top of their enforcer skills.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 10-20-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Closed Thread