HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 7) Can't Win Olympic Games Edition

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2013, 01:21 PM
Genesis76

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Are you kidding me?

It was your quote dude...

Okay so why did you say: "Yeah Price and the Egg line were great, everyone else was on vacation"

I don't really care that much but you contradict yourself and then get upset when I post it? WTF?
Oh i meant I was not impressed by the players in general with their individual skills and involvement (1 on 1 battles, passing, decision making), but they were still good in the defensive zone as a team they played the defensive system pretty well in general (not always though, they did get lucky on a few occasions).

Since you don't like how our defense is built and since we only gave 1 legit goal in 37 shots I think its unfair you don't give our D more credit.

Old
10-20-2013, 01:46 PM
Andy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis76 View Post
Oh i meant I was not impressed by the players in general with their individual skills and involvement (1 on 1 battles, passing, decision making), but they were still good in the defensive zone as a team they played the defensive system pretty well in general (not always though, they did get lucky on a few occasions).

Since you don't like how our defense is built and since we only gave 1 legit goal in 37 shots I think its unfair you don't give our D more credit.
Unless of course the only reason that there was 1 goal was because of the goaltender bailing out his defense.

The defense was not good last night. I disagree with the mediocre assessment, but I can live with it. Saying they were "good" is an entirely different story. If they were good, the team wouldn't have had to lean on Price to keep the game close enough to rope-a-dope a win. They didn't take advantage of that opportunity and deservedly lost last night.

Old
10-20-2013, 02:15 PM
JohnLennon

Are we seriously debating that the defense was anything but bad last night? They couldn't win battles on the boards, they couldn't break out, they were often out of position, and could often not even handle the puck at the blueline.

They had a bad game. End of story.

Old
10-20-2013, 02:37 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

You think giving up 37 shots is a sign of good D?

Personally I don't think our D was horrible. We were on the PK a lot but I certainly wouldn't call our D 'good' last night. Most in the game thread ripped our D apart and said that we sucked. One 'legit' goal on 37 shots as you put it... the D should get credit? How much credit should the goalie get? He was pretty good wasn't he?

I split the difference and went with mediocre. I think that's the right call here.

Old
10-20-2013, 02:58 PM
Genesis76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Unless of course the only reason that there was 1 goal was because of the goaltender bailing out his defense.

The defense was not good last night. I disagree with the mediocre assessment, but I can live with it. Saying they were "good" is an entirely different story. If they were good, the team wouldn't have had to lean on Price to keep the game close enough to rope-a-dope a win. They didn't take advantage of that opportunity and deservedly lost last night.
Price had to stand out yes but I don't think he was the only one on the ice was he?

It seems like when we lose a game 4-3 its entirely the Ds fault when we lose the game 2-1 it's entirely the Ds fault.

We got lucky on a few occasions where our D seemed completely out of position I know... I din't said we were amazing but with 7 penalties I think we were good enough.

On the other hand our Offence was mediocre - bad.

Old
10-20-2013, 03:05 PM
Genesis76

Quote:
You think giving up 37 shots is a sign of good D?

Personally I don't think our D was horrible. We were on the PK a lot but I certainly wouldn't call our D 'good' last night. Most in the game thread ripped our D apart and said that we sucked. One 'legit' goal on 37 shots as you put it... the D should get credit? How much credit should the goalie get? He was pretty good wasn't he?

I split the difference and went with mediocre. I think that's the right call here.
No, I think its a sign of being too much on the PK a bit too early.

We din't spend alot of time on the other end, that's an offensive problem not defensive.

Old
10-20-2013, 03:13 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
No, I think its a sign of being too much on the PK a bit too early.

We din't spend alot of time on the other end, that's an offensive problem not defensive.
We could not break out of our zone and kept turning it over in our own end. It's our play as a team in our own end that is the main problem in my opinion.

Old
10-20-2013, 10:50 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
We could not break out of our zone and kept turning it over in our own end. It's our play as a team in our own end that is the main problem in my opinion.
I'm sure one or two made a huge impression on you, but I double-checked NHL.com, and the giveaways were Montreal: 4, Nashville: 9.

I agree that play in our own end is one of the bigger problems, though. Of course, it's also a pretty standard problem in the first 10 games of a season with 4 completely new forward lines that also keep needing to fill in around injuries. I think they're managing decently well, considering.

Old
10-21-2013, 12:20 AM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I'm sure one or two made a huge impression on you, but I double-checked NHL.com, and the giveaways were Montreal: 4, Nashville: 9.

I agree that play in our own end is one of the bigger problems, though. Of course, it's also a pretty standard problem in the first 10 games of a season with 4 completely new forward lines that also keep needing to fill in around injuries. I think they're managing decently well, considering.
I was definitely speaking from my memory of the game, getting frustrated with the Habs playing poorly in our own end. It seemed like they gave up the puck too often, but I think they just looked sloppy and lost a lot of puck battles. That number probably felt like it was more to me.

I agree that they're managing well considering all the injuries, but it was definitely an issue against Nashville and in a couple other games as well, in my opinion.

Old
10-21-2013, 05:08 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
I've got a feeling this year is going to be Carey's big breakout year where he keeps it all together for an entire season. I see him challenging Rask for the Vezina.

I expect him to consistently keep us in games.

Old
10-21-2013, 06:06 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I've got a feeling this year is going to be Carey's big breakout year where he keeps it all together for an entire season. I see him challenging Rask for the Vezina.

I expect him to consistently keep us in games.
Yup, and most important of all...for the PLAYOFFS.

I'm hoping Price can do it sooner than later (be a huge playoff hero).
But we absolutely need more luck in the health department...especially during the playoffs. And we also need a solid #2-3 dman (to help Price and Subban)...easier said/written vs done!

And, I'm hoping if he continues having success this year that it's not only due to the Olympics (as a major motivator).

Why is he playing better compared to last season?
maybe the new goalie coach? maybe he's showcasing himself for the Olympics? Or, maybe Price just want to bounce back from last year's season?,etc,etc.

Go Price Go!!

Old
10-21-2013, 07:20 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Yup, and most important of all...for the PLAYOFFS.

I'm hoping Price can do it sooner than later (be a huge playoff hero).
But we absolutely need more luck in the health department...especially during the playoffs. And we also need a solid #2-3 dman (to help Price and Subban)...easier said/written vs done!

And, I'm hoping if he continues having success this year that it's not only due to the Olympics (as a major motivator).

Why is he playing better compared to last season?
maybe the new goalie coach? maybe he's showcasing himself for the Olympics? Or, maybe Price just want to bounce back from last year's season?,etc,etc.

Go Price Go!!
I see this as a building year. IMO we aren't winning the Cup until Galchenyuk is a bonafide #1 and carries the team. We have until then to fill the holes in our D and our top 6 to be more consistent and learn to play playoff hockey.

Old
10-21-2013, 07:43 AM
sharks9

http://www.extraskater.com/teams/2013/5v5?sort=save_pct

Interesting fact so far is that our team has the best 5-on-5 SV% in the entire league.

Price is at .958 at ES but only .893 on the PK. If only we could improve our PK he would have crazy good numbers this year.

Old
10-21-2013, 07:48 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post

Interesting fact so far is that our team has the best 5-on-5 SV% in the entire league.

Price is at .958 at ES but only .893 on the PK. If only we could improve our PK he would have crazy good numbers this year.
The PK killed Price's numbers last season too.

Old
10-21-2013, 07:50 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

We'll see how our D does when we stop playing teams like the Oilers and Flyers and start playing against teams like the Penguins and Sharks. That will be the real test and I think we're going to be relying on our goalies way too much. We'll see.

Old
10-21-2013, 07:50 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post

Price is as much a part of the PK as the other 4 guys out there. His side-to-side movement is a big reason for his dip in numbers on the PK IMO. It is getting better though.

Old
10-21-2013, 08:34 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Price is as much a part of the PK as the other 4 guys out there. His side-to-side movement is a big reason for his dip in numbers on the PK IMO. It is getting better though.
I don't think so man. Last season he was playing about as well as he is now for most of the year and we had the same problem. Our penalty killing has sucked for a while now and we don't look very good out there.

The big question - why isn't Subban out there killing penalties?

Old
10-21-2013, 08:57 AM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
Are we seriously debating that the defense was anything but bad last night? They couldn't win battles on the boards, they couldn't break out, they were often out of position, and could often not even handle the puck at the blueline.

They had a bad game. End of story.
This.

Everything JL just wrote was exactly what I saw when I watched the game. Why else do you think they were grossly outshot? And don't say "PKing for 6 mins will do that". Last time I checked the scoreboard, NSH PP didn't make all the shots on net in the 1st.

Quote:
The big question - why isn't Subban out there killing penalties?
Honestly, this bugs me to this day. Does anyone have an answer for why MT doesn't use him on the PK?

Old
10-21-2013, 08:59 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
This.

Everything JL just wrote was exactly what I saw when I watched the game. Why else do you think they were grossly outshot? And don't say "PKing for 6 mins will do that". Last time I checked the scoreboard, NSH PP didn't make all the shots on net in the 1st.
If you did your homework, though, you'd know that you're passing off 26 to 23 as "grossly outshot". Those were the even strength shot totals, btw.

Old
10-21-2013, 09:03 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Honestly, this bugs me to this day. Does anyone have an answer for why MT doesn't use him on the PK?
I've heard talk about them not being "comfortable" until he learned to let the game come to him a bit more. Seems like a BS excuse to me, but there's a layer of merit to the theory if that's an actual concern.

Old
10-21-2013, 10:06 AM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Quote:
If you did your homework, though, you'd know that you're passing off 26 to 23 as "grossly outshot". Those were the even strength shot totals, btw.

27 to 23, which is 17% more. Grossly is an exaggeration, but nevertheless we were outshot ES.

By the way the game was going in the 1st, it seemed more.

Old
10-21-2013, 10:14 AM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Quote:
I've heard talk about them not being "comfortable" until he learned to let the game come to him a bit more. Seems like a BS excuse to me, but there's a layer of merit to the theory if that's an actual concern.
If I remember correctly, under JM he played an extensive amount on the PK and our PK was Top 10. Now that could ultimately be coincidence but I thought PK was formidable on the PK. That's just me though.

Old
10-21-2013, 10:14 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
27 to 23, which is 17% more. Grossly is an exaggeration, but nevertheless we were outshot ES.

By the way the game was going in the 1st, it seemed more.
And by the way the game was going in the 3rd, it seemed less. Guess that's why they play 3 periods. We are all talking about the full 3 period game, right? Overall, a 27-23 shot difference isn't a whole lot over 41 minutes of ES play. I forgot to count the 4-on-4 shot, it would seem, but that's still the equivalent of less than one shot every ten minutes in the difference...

Old
10-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Andy

Quote:
And by the way the game was going in the 3rd, it seemed less. Guess that's why they play 3 periods. We are all talking about the full 3 period game, right? Overall, a 27-23 shot difference isn't a whole lot over 41 minutes of ES play. I forgot to count the 4-on-4 shot, it would seem, but that's still the equivalent of less than one shot every ten minutes in the difference...
You know there are games where shots are 30-30 and one team still looks awful defensively. Then there are games like the Jets, who outshoot the Canadiens, but the Jets D was not great all game (neither was the Canadiens). I don't the necessary causal link between shots against and defensive play. There are games where the habs outshoot their opponent, concede 22 shots and still look terrible defensively. Case in point, Habs-Calagry, they outshot Calgary 35-25, yet had a terrible defensive effort.

Old
10-21-2013, 10:26 AM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Yes he's part of the PK, but it's up to the other 4 guys out there to limit the amount of chances the other team gets.

It's not Price's fault if our team constantly gives up golden chances on the PK.

Closed Thread