HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT - Michel Therrien

Old
12-08-2006, 04:37 PM
Magnum

vCash: 500
OT - Michel Therrien

Pittsburgh Penguins fan here. Wanted to get some feedback on Michel Therrien.

Right now the Pens are struggling, scoring about 2 goals a game. I was wondering about some of the things he did as coach of Montreal that the fans hated or liked.

Things I've noticed him doing in Pittsburgh than many are getting agitated with his line shuffeling. Every game all 4 lines are switched and then the lines are changed at least a half dozen more times throughout the game.

How was he with the players? For us, Therrien or anyone was an upgrade of Edzo so for the plethora of young guys on this team (many of who had Therrien as an AHL coach) they are probably content, but the situation in Montreal was different. I wondered if there was anything said by any players that was negative.

I'm just curious to see if there are similarities between his time in Montreal and Pittsburgh and what the overall consensus is/was on him.

Thanks.

Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 04:43 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post

Right now the Pens are struggling, scoring about 2 goals a game. I was wondering about some of the things he did as coach of Montreal that the fans hated or liked.

Things I've noticed him doing in Pittsburgh than many are getting agitated with his line shuffeling. Every game all 4 lines are switched and then the lines are changed at least a half dozen more times throughout the game.

How was he with the players? For us, Therrien or anyone was an upgrade of Edzo so for the plethora of young guys on this team (many of who had Therrien as an AHL coach) they are probably content, but the situation in Montreal was different. I wondered if there was anything said by any players that was negative.

I'm just curious to see if there are similarities between his time in Montreal and Pittsburgh and what the overall consensus is/was on him.

Thanks.
If you want my personnal opinion, I've never like Michel Terrien. That guy was too impulsive and he was most of the time overeacting with his players. His ''attitude'' might be useful for some time but sooner or later, he seems to lose the control of his team.

I always tough that Michel Terrien with the Penguins would be a disaster. You need a coach with patience, who is a good teacher and who will try to bring some stability to the team. Obviously Terrien is not this kind of guy.

The best coach for you would probably be Claude Julien, who is the extreme opposite of Michel Terrien. Anyway, this is just my personnal opinion, good luck with the Penguins, your future is extremely bright !

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 04:43 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

There never a consensus about anything with Montreal fans but I liked Therrien while he was here, then again I liked Julien also and for opposite reasons.

Therrien brought emotion and accountability. He was relying heavily on his veterans but mainly because we had no prospects to speak of back then.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Habs

Quote:
He'll give a pleasant resignation speech on the way out. Thats about all MT is remembered for. Terrible line juggler, poor talent evaluator, too emotional.

Amazed he has lasted this long in Pittsburgh.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Artyukhin*

is it almost time for this again ?

Quote:
"It's like, are we going to be happy to play eight minutes?" Therrien said "I'm not going to be happy to play eight minutes.

Quote:
"What those guys will say if we take 50 percent of their salary because they only played for 50 percent of the time?"

Quote:
"That defensive squad, I'm really starting to believe their goal is to be the worst defensive squad in the league," "And they're doing such a great job at being the worst.
Quote:
"They turn the puck over, they have no vision, they're soft. I've never seen a bunch of defensemen soft like this.

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 04:52 PM
Travis Moen

Quote:

Thanks.
IMVHO, we were going nowhere with Therrien. I can't think one game where we outshoted the opposing team.
Of course, this was mainly due to the fact that we had an average team, but I never felt any progression while he was the coach. Therrien never gave the chance to the young players and kept making strange choices and rotations. He even lost us a playoff series by himself

I remember A LOT of people asking for his head, but this dosent say a lot... If we lose our next 5 games, they will do the same to our current coach.

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 04:55 PM
TheHoser

Therrien is only useful as a mid-season replacment on a team that's struggling. If a team is underpreforming, and he comes in a few games in, his abrasive, angry style of coaching will be able to whip them into shape for at least a little while. But over the long haul his antics wear off and his inabilities to strategize and general lack of coaching ability is exposed.

TheHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Magnum

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

What Cyrrus said is one thing I've noticed and a couple others have notice is lack of teaching and just expecting players to "pick it up". With young guys that should improve you need to be guiding them a little bit

Old
12-08-2006, 05:10 PM
Magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
is it almost time for this again ?
Not quite. For what we have on Defense (which isn't much), we're in the games but our offense is poor. We're averaging under 3 goals a game.

Therrien called out Malkin after last nights game saying he needs to step it up and his line needs to produce, but I find it tough for a line to produce when it is never the same from one game to the next or one period to the next... Sounds like he did the same thing in Montreal.

Old
12-08-2006, 05:43 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Not quite. For what we have on Defense (which isn't much), we're in the games but our offense is poor. We're averaging under 3 goals a game.

Therrien called out Malkin after last nights game saying he needs to step it up and his line needs to produce, but I find it tough for a line to produce when it is never the same from one game to the next or one period to the next... Sounds like he did the same thing in Montreal.
Players need at least 5-10 games to create some chemistry or some cohesion. If Therrien keep changing his lines, he won't improve the team, even on a short term basis.

Therrien is acting like a team fan, not like a head coach. When you are a player and you keep seeing your coach under panic and yelling, you won't have a good reaction. If the guy who have the most autority on your team (except the GM) can't keep his focus, you can't expect him to make ''good'' decision.

Just take a look at our current headcoach, Guy Carbonneau. He is always calm (but strict) with his players, he is not losing his self-control behind the bench and he won't be aggressive with his players after a game. Even he is a emotive guy, he won't let his emotions rules his decisions.

We have a young rookie name Guillaume Latendresse. At the beginning of the year, Guy Carbonneau said that no matter how Guillaume Latendresse will play, he will stay with the habs for the whole season. After 11 games, Guillaume had 0 points and a disastrous plus/minus rating. Guy Carbonneau continue to be patient with him and he even put Latendresse on the first line when Higgins got injured.

Guess what, 16 games later, Latendresse has 6 goals and 5 passes (11 points) in 16 games. Not bad for a 19 years old rookie.

A head coach is like the boss of a company or a father in a family. If your actions are always a consequence of your emotions, you will soon regrets what you did and the results won't look nice. Sometime you just need to take a break and think with your head.

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 01:32 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

I personnally think we're giving too much credit or blaming too much the coach. Pretty funny that tons of coaches winners of the Jack Adams were fired the year or 2 years after.

Sure there's the Ruff rule (the exception) but the majority last 3 to 5 years and their main job is to find the right combination (though the GM can't help the coach in that regard), have the guys buy your system, and try to have the matchups you want. But nonetheless, you'll still be fired after 3 to 5 years......

Julien is great this year, the year after, and then when his defensive system (Brodeur) begins to break down, suddenly he'll become too defensive and be fired for it......

Therrien, while really energetic, could make a team work hard for him, as far as I'm concerned, the farm team before him joining the Pens, had an incredible record, seems those guys bought his system and the work ethic needed to win.....But then, the same guy, with the same system and same work ethic requested, will become too energetic for the guys, not enough respectful, and be fired for it......

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote