HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

samsonov and gainey

Old
12-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
I'd be more patient with him. Carbonneau's hands are tied until Higgins returns, at which time he'd be in a better position to juggle the lines.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 06:34 PM
guapo23

Sammy made an amazing play that led to Lats goal vs Islanders.
We need to back off & stop calling for his head.

It's time to break up Kovalev & Sammy.
Carbo took too long to shuffle the lines.

Fans have to be patient and stop calling for trades.
It's a big adjustment to be traded.
Sammy went from Boston to Edmonton last year then signed here.
He needs to get settled in, he has bought a house etc..
The last thing he wants is to move again.

Juggle the lines and I'm sure he will start producing.
Put players with him who can cycle and the goals will come...

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 06:50 PM
tinyzombies

Nothing wrong with a meeting.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 08:00 PM
Toro

I agree he has not lived up to expectations, and i agree that carbo's hands are tied till higgins returns. If samsonov does not click by trade deadline, he is gone. Hopefully playing with higgins works. If it doesn't we may need to trade for a center or if higgins works at center and sammy still doesn't work out by the deadline, gainey will probably trade sammy and assets for a D-man

also Ryder is a possible trade piece, as he has struggled as much as samsonov this season, and with our depth at scoring winger's.

Toro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 08:33 PM
baldrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppil View Post
On 110% yestertay they were saying that BG and Carbo had a 30min meeting with Sammy but no one knows the official reason of this meeting.

The problem with Sammy, and he said it earlier this season, it's the fact that he feels useless to the team, when they wanted to put him on the fourth line he said that when he signed with the habs he though that he would have a big role but he wasn't feeling usefull to this team.

When you say that he's getting big minutes, I don't think it's true, look at the last 6 games ( I know you'll tell me that it is his fault but still )

Florida: 16:34 PPtime: 1:19 on 4:00
Carolina: 13:59 PPtime: 0:04 on 2:47
Toronto: 11:35 PPtime: 0:07 on 6:16
Boston: 14:03 PPtime: 0:00 on 3:34
New Jersey: 13:19 PPtime: 0:05 on 4:00
NY Islanders: 12:58 PPtime: 1:30 on 9:00

I don't think he gets 2nd line winger time, I don't think he gets quality PP time ( aka the second unit with Pleks and Latendresse). How do you want him to like playing in Montreal, we don't use his only attribute aka the offense, this guy has always played about the half of the power play and with the bests players on his team but in Montreal we expect him to do better with less ice time and almost no quality power play time.

I don't like his attitude, if I was him I would try to work harder and all but at the same time, it's like if he came here as a nobody, I mean he's semi-veteran offensive player and we use him like a rookie. If he was getting power play time with Koivu, he would produce just as much as Kovalev.
Every player has to prove to Carbonneau they're ready to work hard, including veterans, my feeling is Samsonov hasn't convinced Carbo. Samsonov's agent wouldn't be called Dagget would he?

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 08:45 PM
One Trick Pony

why do we only have one center to rely on? we can't put everybody with koivu..

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 08:54 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
I agree he has not lived up to expectations, and i agree that carbo's hands are tied till higgins returns. If samsonov does not click by trade deadline, he is gone. Hopefully playing with higgins works. If it doesn't we may need to trade for a center or if higgins works at center and sammy still doesn't work out by the deadline, gainey will probably trade sammy and assets for a D-man

also Ryder is a possible trade piece, as he has struggled as much as samsonov this season, and with our depth at scoring winger's.
I don't see why you think Ryder is a trading piece? He has played all around better hockey this season, better 2-way, killing penalties, overtime ice with Koivu, extra minutes, looks faster and is still contributing assist wise and is and will always be a streaky scorer who is still on pace for 20+ goal season (he is a legit 30 goal scorer, just needs to hit that hot streak that all scorers hit).

If anyone on this team is tradable I say they are Samsonov, Kovalev, Plekanec, Ninnimma, Aebischer and potentially Souray if Gainey feels he doesn't want to re-sign with the Habs (I think Souray will be honest with the Habs and not leave them hanging).

Sammy and Kovy don't work, Sammy would probably do well with Johnson and Bonk but that line with Perezhogin is too good as is the Higgins/Latendresse-Koivu-Ryder line...Sammy and Kovalev are players searching for linemates right now and I don't know if they fit in.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 08:59 PM
ppil

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
Every player has to prove to Carbonneau they're ready to work hard, including veterans, my feeling is Samsonov hasn't convinced Carbo. Samsonov's agent wouldn't be called Dagget would he?
Carbo said it himself, Samsonov problem isn't work ethic, he said it's because he doesn't go for the net enough.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/218926.html

It's hard for an offensive player to prove what he's worthing when he's playing on a team that sucks at 5v5 ( but he's part of that team ) and he's not getting power play ( where the team scores most of his goals ). But it's true, Samsonov doesn't really seems to be happy with his performance but I also think he doesn't really know what to do ( if you look at his reactions when he comes back to the bench, he always look unsatisfied with what just happened on the ice ), it is why I think they should put him with other linemates, try to change things for him.

ppil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 01:27 AM
habitforming

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I don't understand how he can't be happy here...unhappy with his play, sure. But here? We're like a step away from being the Russian national team, he plays big minutes every game...what else can you give him? I mean it's not like I know what's going on inside the locker room or anything but sheesh...

It doesn't matter why our opinion matters why he should be happy here. Fact is his play is big time horrible and it is absolutely clear he doesn't belong.

Hell maybe he's initimidated by the number 21,273. He can't cut it here - presure is to much & he'd much rather be in a low key environement. Hell even Edmonton I think got to him eventually - he needs to Coyotes or something.

Trade him already . . . it is that simple - lets face it we're not going to get anything but a draft pick for him - so cut it loose and move on - the season is a long one and we haven't even hit the dog days yet . . . How do you think his attitiude will be then ??

habitforming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 01:34 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Yeah because having Samsonov on the roster is holding back all our other offensive juggernauts waiting in the wings.

Oh wait...we don't have any.

I'm not Samsonov's biggest fan by any means but what you're suggesting is nothing more than a panic move and I'm glad you're not the GM.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 10:23 AM
baldrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppil View Post
Carbo said it himself, Samsonov problem isn't work ethic, he said it's because he doesn't go for the net enough.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/218926.html

It's hard for an offensive player to prove what he's worthing when he's playing on a team that sucks at 5v5 ( but he's part of that team ) and he's not getting power play ( where the team scores most of his goals ). But it's true, Samsonov doesn't really seems to be happy with his performance but I also think he doesn't really know what to do ( if you look at his reactions when he comes back to the bench, he always look unsatisfied with what just happened on the ice ), it is why I think they should put him with other linemates, try to change things for him.
I wasn't aware of Carbonneau's comments, thanks for the link. I guess the question then is why Carbonneau hasn't played him on the power play and shuffled the lines?
It has been my impression that Samsonov and Kovalev have been kept together by Carbonneau (and Gainey) for some particular reason known, apparently, only to them.

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 10:26 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliash View Post
why do we only have one center to rely on? we can't put everybody with koivu..
Quadruple shift him.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 11:28 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Quadruple shift him.

and heff him up with horse steroids

Old
12-09-2006, 01:00 PM
greatlakeshab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
maybe it's just me, but I don't think I've seen Samsonov smile all season yet. Also, I've never seen him say a single word to a teammate on the bench or on the ice during stoppages.

imo, he clearly isn't happy in Montreal...and fans cleary aren't happy with his play.
So Gainey probably wanted to ask him whyhe is copying his patented don't smile look

greatlakeshab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 02:20 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Johnson is known to get people out of slumps and EVERYBODY produces with Koivu. What I want to know is why Samsonov hasn't been given legitimate time to play with one of these too guys for a while..preferably Koivu

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 02:51 PM
habitforming

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Yeah because having Samsonov on the roster is holding back all our other offensive juggernauts waiting in the wings.

Oh wait...we don't have any.

I'm not Samsonov's biggest fan by any means but what you're suggesting is nothing more than a panic move and I'm glad you're not the GM.

Your quotes are wearing thin . . . . here's a hint - when you want to try to put some intellectual words together . . . . here it is . . . wait for it . . . . . .
HAVE A POINT! Take your criticisim of Posters to another board where you'll be welcomed . . . .

habitforming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark4ng3l View Post
I dont think samsonov is really to blame here and I dont think people should be on his back this much. Against the islanders yesterday one of our goals was the direct result of sammy outplaying 3 islanders in our zone to finally make the pass that led to lats goal(I think).
That play was beautiful, but it was also incredibly stupid. Samsonov had the puck by the Isles bench, towards the Isles blueline in the neutral zone. Montreal was changing lines. So rather than make the simple, safe play in dumping the puck in, Samsonov overhandles the puck, gets forced into Montreal's zone, and three Isles converge on him while he's caught flat-footed with the puck and no support from his teammates.

Luckily he persisted with the puck rather than shy away from the contact and made the play to Ryder (I believe) ... but 9 times out of 10, that's a turnover and an odd-man rush against. Even the most talented players in the league can't beat the odds on that sort of play many times.

So it was a display of Samsonov's skill, but also a display of his penchant for making bad fundamental decisions.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote