HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrick Holland and Mike Blunden Called Up (UPD: And Nathan Beaulieu)

Old
10-21-2013, 07:34 PM
FazChenyuk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
Thomas is not our top forward prospect.
You can't say he isn't unless you include Leblanc as better.

FazChenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 07:35 PM
deandebean

It had to be Blunden, because no other forward was killing it in the A. But he still is a mediocre NHL player. So, in essence, we have Bournival replacing our best goal scorer, Holland replacing Bournival and Blunder replacing Prust. Ooooookay.

So we have one legit scoring line. Hope Carey is on.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 07:36 PM
Hope Of Glory

Bad timing for Thomas to be injured. It's exactly the type of situation he needs to shine. Holland seems to be progressing well though. I doubt that he'll ever be more than a 4th liner but it's nice to be able to keep track on his progression.

Hope Of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 07:38 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Thomas would likely be here instead of Holland.

Either way, I'm somewhat excited to see what Holland can do.

Bournival should get more, important ice time and better linemates.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 07:40 PM
deandebean

This is a depleted lineup early on. It will take its toll on the blue line for sure. An already feeble blue line.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 07:41 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
It had to be Blunden, because no other forward was killing it in the A. But he still is a mediocre NHL player. So, in essence, we have Bournival replacing our best goal scorer, Holland replacing Bournival and Blunder replacing Prust. Ooooookay.

So we have one legit scoring line. Hope Carey is on.
I am being a little more positive about the changes. Bournival will do well with Pleks. Pleks will benefit from having a winger competing on every shift as opposed to Bourque coasting around for most of the game.

I will go out on a limb and say that Desharnais scores his first goal tomorrow night with an assist from Moen.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 07:45 PM
L4br3cqu3
Booya !

vCash: 905
Who knows, Blunden will perhaps make a Mike Knuble of himself (Knuble didn't really contribute offensively til he was 30). And I hope they give a real occasion for Holland in the top 9, we all know what Blunden can realistically contribute with, and it won't be his offensive output, but Holland is very intelligent on the ice, and has pretty good vision, would like him to play more than on the 4th line.

L4br3cqu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 07:47 PM
Et le But

Holland on whether this is a dream for him: " "Actually, my dream was to become Jerry Seinfeld."

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 07:49 PM
Analyzer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Holland on whether this is a dream for him: " "Actually, my dream was to become Jerry Seinfeld."
No respik pour dis team or dis gerzy dat 'e will wear.

I say we trade him to the Rangers for Missaien.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 08:04 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
MICHAEL BLUNDEN IS BACK!!!!!!

yesssss
Another Gauthier steal.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 08:06 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
Based on Marc-Antoine Godin tweet, here were the lines at this morning's practie:

Bournival-Plekanec-Gionta
Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher
Moen-Desharnais-Bourque
Blunden-White-Holland

Ouch... Not a playoff team lineup.
The depth is fading quick. I don't trust that 4th line and I feel that mt has no choice but to shorten the bench.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 08:40 PM
Whitesnake
The Deeper the tank

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I realize how obnoxious this is but false narratives and blatant lying is worse. No one wants Gauthier back but to say that this team was left in shambles is an outright lie - by all statistical measures we underperformed in the tank year and by the trade deadline we were just gutted of talent and injured. This organization over the past three years has done a fantastic job of bringing in loads of young players and getting them to perform at a very high level.

We have a good, great, team that is balanced and deep - it's what Bergevin does from here on out which is the question - does he implore on Therrien to rein in the fast and loose defense? Does he try to get a competent penalty kill? Does he finally trade some quantity for some quality? We lack scorers on the wings - should we make a move for a cheap, maligned winger? How can we bring a physical, net-crashing Cole-like element to the top6 again?

These aren't easy question but it's not like Bergevin has much else to deal with - he inherited a really good situation and has only done it harm with the Desharnais and Briere contracts.
You have to wonder though....why wouldn't you want Gauthier back. He has all the excuses in the world for our bad years....and he acquired incredible talent making us a great and balanced team and has done a fantastic job? Either you don't realize what you're saying or either you don't want to say that you think he's great.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 08:48 PM
WhatJustHappened
A.k.a compile

vCash: 693
Send a message via Skype™ to WhatJustHappened
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzion View Post
I don't see it with Holland. Soft playmakers who are not good enough for the top 6 don't last in the NHL.
No they get 4 year, $3.5 million deals...

WhatJustHappened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 08:54 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Is that good or bad?
Bad and bad. We have nobody close to NHL ready aside from Bournival who has now made the NHL. Kristo was the closest thing we had. Holland's been playing well but he still needs a year or two of development. Andrighetto same thing. Dumont and Leblanc have seemingly regressed into crappers. Maybe the Hamilton coaching staff really is as horrendous as everyone was saying all last season. Or maybe our pro prospects just aren't that good.

Ezpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 08:58 PM
Shawn Wilken
@CrimsonSkorpion

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Two very average AHL players. Geez.
Blunden with two goals and an assist in three games with Hamilton.
Holland, at the age of 21, leads the team in +/- with 4.

It's still early in the AHL season (like the NHL season, mind you) but so far they have looked much better than just average.

Shawn Wilken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 09:06 PM
Whitesnake
The Deeper the tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Who were our GM and Asst GM again during that period?
Well I have to be consequent. Will always believe that the picks themselves are the head scout and his group. The lack of picks though, that's on the GM. Yet, we kept hearing a whole lot of jokes when we got players traded for 1st and 2nd rounders like....."thank god that 2nd round pick scored a goal there"....Well we're now seeing the result of lack of picks for 2 drafts. Might not be anybody's fault...but it is what it is.

Old
10-21-2013, 09:33 PM
WhiskeySeven
BargainUnbinned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
You have to wonder though....why wouldn't you want Gauthier back. He has all the excuses in the world for our bad years....and he acquired incredible talent making us a great and balanced team and has done a fantastic job? Either you don't realize what you're saying or either you don't want to say that you think he's great.
I can give credit to him while saying that his leadership was not good and that we'd be better off in an entirely new direction. Bergevin is definitely NOT a new direction, unfortunately.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 09:53 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I can give credit to him while saying that his leadership was not good and that we'd be better off in an entirely new direction. Bergevin is definitely NOT a new direction, unfortunately.
Depends where you're looking. If you look at tomorrow's roster, you'll see five players with zero NHL games 10 months ago. Six if you count Tinordi. There is no way Gauthier would have granted so much exposure to rookies. Tons of injuries? The Gauthier go-to strategy was his famous Kaberle-maneuver of paying mid-level dollars to acquire a veteran band-aid.

The amazing Gallys, the nice development of Tinordi and Beaulieu, the surprising strong play of Bournival, the exciting intro to Holland, plus sneak-peeks at Dumont, Patreryn plus more to come -- that's 100% a Bergevin direction.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 09:55 PM
MDN

I'm interested to see what DD can do with bigger wingers now. I just want him to wake the hell up, so his value rises for a trade or anything.

MDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 09:57 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Depends where you're looking. If you look at tomorrow's roster, you'll see five players with zero NHL games 10 months ago. Six if you count Tinordi. There is no way Gauthier would have granted so much exposure to rookies. Tons of injuries? The Gauthier go-to strategy was his famous Kaberle-maneuver of paying mid-level dollars to acquire a veteran band-aid.

The amazing Gallys, the nice development of Tinordi and Beaulieu, the surprising strong play of Bournival, the exciting intro to Holland, plus sneak-peeks at Dumont, Patreryn plus more to come -- that's 100% a Bergevin direction.
Bergevin has picked up plenty of vet bandaids hurting the ice time of young players, giving some bad contracts even - look at Briere and the legion of brittle old 7D we have. At least he doesn't trade picks for them...but then again, Gauthier acquired some very important picks himself.

You can say Gauthier was a bad GM, because he was, and also say he made some good moves and deserves at least some of the credit for this team.

Bergevin gets way too much credit for the development of Timmins great draft picks. You really think Gallagher and Bournival are the result of Lefebvre's guidance in Hamilton?

Old
10-21-2013, 10:08 PM
Whitesnake
The Deeper the tank

Quote:
Bergevin gets way too much credit for the development of Timmins great draft picks. You really think Gallagher and Bournival are the result of Lefebvre's guidance in Hamilton?
GM shouldn't get the credit for draft picks period. Do people remember Gainey and Timmins at the draft? Which draft was that? When Gainey went to Timmins and in his words of guidance, his words of wisdom, his words where CLEARLY showed that he was the boss and that ultimately HE was the one taking the decision for the chosen player were......ARE YOU SURE?

Give credit to GM's for picks acquired. Give credit to the head scout for the actual pick.

Old
10-21-2013, 10:09 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
GM shouldn't get the credit for draft picks period. Do people remember Gainey and Timmins at the draft? Which draft was that? When Gainey went to Timmins and in his words of guidance, his words of wisdom, his words where CLEARLY showed that he was the boss and that ultimately HE was the one taking the decision for the chosen player were......ARE YOU SURE?

Give credit to GM's for picks acquired. Give credit to the head scout for the actual pick.
I agree. But I still see Bergevin get credit for Galchenyuk even, which I find strange.

Old
10-21-2013, 10:12 PM
MXD

Quote:
I agree. But I still see Bergevin get credit for Galchenyuk even, which I find strange.
Well he deserves the credit for keeping him here and not signing Brad Boyes or something of that ilk.

Now of course, somebody would say that Galchenyuk deserves the credit for that... which is partly true.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 10:32 PM
Whitesnake
The Deeper the tank

Quote:
You see that? I see Gauthier getting the credit for him 'cause Monsieur Gauthier had that great instincts to tank...How crazy is that. I mean, I hope nobody bashes Bergevin if we tank the next 2 years....we'll get Ekblad and McDavid. Bergevin for GM of the year for those 2 years....

Old
10-21-2013, 10:37 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Bergevin has picked up plenty of vet bandaids hurting the ice time of young players, giving some bad contracts even - look at Briere and the legion of brittle old 7D we have. At least he doesn't trade picks for them...but then again, Gauthier acquired some very important picks himself.

You can say Gauthier was a bad GM, because he was, and also say he made some good moves and deserves at least some of the credit for this team.

while true, most didnt cost us our 2nd rounder, wich was pretty much a yearly thing with previous management.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote