HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poutine 1 Poster wondering about Winston-Salem

Old
12-05-2006, 09:23 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

vCash: 500
Poutine 1 Poster wondering about Winston-Salem

Hi all,

I am a former co-conspirator with mcphee and Aymand in the Poutine 1 thread, and I'm considering the possibility of work at Wake Forest University (my candidacy is still under consideration...), as well as life in Winston-Salem. I've read somewhere that it is seen as amongst the most livable cities in the US, in fact, around top 50 in the world.

Can anyone comment? Still true? If so, what makes it so attractive? What is the crime rate like?

My wife is Japanese. I understand that there are quite a few Japanese firms in NC, for which she could work (a refreshing contrast with Leipzig).

Finally... where do the Canes play: is it close to Winston-Salem?

VirginiaMtlExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 09:46 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

I had not heard that about Winston-Salem being such a great city. Not that I have anything bad to say about it; I'm just not sure what the attraction is. Wake Forest is a very nice school, and seems like it would be a good place to work. I honestly don't have much knowledge of Winston-Salem, but I can tell you that it is about an hour and a half from Raleigh where the Canes play.

12-05-2006, 09:55 AM
AD

Will you choose the correct "USAMontrealExpat" or the arrogant "AmericaMontrealExpat" or the local "NCMontrealExpat".

My pick:

CarolinaMontrealExpat

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 09:58 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Cost of living in Winston-Salem is prety good IIRC, especially when compared with the Raleigh area. Job market is prety solid and your wife shouldn't have any problem company wise, at worst she'll be making the trip to RTP so I'd also be looking at some housing in the Elon area if you can do so. Very nice area there and about half way between RTP and Winston-Salem.

Crime rate... couldn't tell you really, I haven't been around Wake Forrest enough to know what it's like near the university. I recall it being a fairly nice area though.

As for Canes games, it's a good trip, almost exactly 100 miles. If traffic is flowing well you can generally get there in an hour and a half. That said I'd go planing to get there about an hour to an hour and a half early. Gives you time to tailgate in the lot before the game and if there's any serious congestion on I-40 it gives you a prety nice cushion to avoid missing any of the game. Obviously that works easier for weekend games then it does durring the week.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 10:43 AM
caniacgirl12

Send a message via AIM to caniacgirl12 Send a message via MSN to caniacgirl12
I've only driven through Winston Salem because I took the wrong exit going out to Boone NC for the first time.....

It was dark and I didn't know where I was going. And the speed limit was 35, so I know from that alone I couldn't live there.

12-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Canes4me

College room mate has lived there for around 15 years and loves it. Typical college town with trendy eclectic shops near the campus and a revitalization effort downtown. Crime rate is low even for NC standards which is low to begin with. Local politics is right of center and the area is considered to be in the Bible belt of NC. Great place to raise a family so that means not much of a hell raising party town. One hour to mountains, hour and half to Charlotte, hour and half to Raleigh, 4 hours to the beaches all on interstate highways. Excellent medical facilities and reasonable housing market. I would plan every bit of 2 hours from there to the RBC Center, but you might want to check out the Greensboro Generals of the ECHL which would be 30 minutes away. Good luck with your choice....

Canes4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 07:26 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacgirl12 View Post
I've only driven through Winston Salem because I took the wrong exit going out to Boone NC for the first time.....

It was dark and I didn't know where I was going. And the speed limit was 35, so I know from that alone I couldn't live there.
Sounds like a metaphor for my life.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 07:59 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AymanD View Post
Will you choose the correct "USAMontrealExpat" or the arrogant "AmericaMontrealExpat" or the local "NCMontrealExpat".

My pick:

CarolinaMontrealExpat
Good question. I like your suggestion, although living in the US, especially close to Atlanta where my brother resides, I may all of a sudden stop feeling like an expatriate!

Still too early to call, though. I have several projects in Leipzig heating up and with start-up possibilities, which may obviate the need to go to the US (for primarily financial considerations). My wife would probably prefer Winston-Salem though, as there are a lot of companies where she could work, in contrast with Leipzig.

Old
12-06-2006, 08:01 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes4me View Post
College room mate has lived there for around 15 years and loves it. Typical college town with trendy eclectic shops near the campus and a revitalization effort downtown. Crime rate is low even for NC standards which is low to begin with. Local politics is right of center and the area is considered to be in the Bible belt of NC. Great place to raise a family so that means not much of a hell raising party town. One hour to mountains, hour and half to Charlotte, hour and half to Raleigh, 4 hours to the beaches all on interstate highways. Excellent medical facilities and reasonable housing market. I would plan every bit of 2 hours from there to the RBC Center, but you might want to check out the Greensboro Generals of the ECHL which would be 30 minutes away. Good luck with your choice....
Thanks for the great insight, and to other posters for their contributions. Poutiners, like the dish itself, stick together!

Old
12-06-2006, 08:07 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Sounds like a metaphor for my life.
Classic mcphee, who like AymanD has visibly not stopped lurking on the Canes board. I can see, without even looking those threads, how Poutine 2 and 3 take up a large chunk of HF bandwidth.

Old
12-06-2006, 10:00 AM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyMontrealExpat View Post
Classic mcphee, who like AymanD has visibly not stopped lurking on the Canes board. I can see, without even looking those threads, how Poutine 2 and 3 take up a large chunk of HF bandwidth.
Sshhhhh!!! you're gonna get us shutdown again.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 10:14 AM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyMontrealExpat View Post
Well, they are the perfect definition of lurkers.

IcE ColD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 12:19 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AymanD View Post
Sshhhhh!!! you're gonna get us shutdown again.
Au contraire, they should give you a cut of advertising revenue .

Old
12-06-2006, 11:23 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

Winston's a pretty good place - about 150,000, and the northwest area around Wake is quite nice. It's also where Krispy Kreme got its start and is still headquartered.

Its a sweet place.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 03:56 AM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Sorry, Canes4me, but the Greensboro Generals haven't taken the ice in three years now - their last season was 2003-2004. There's been talk about a new ECHL team in Greensboro but as of now, it's not come to fruition.

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 09:55 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
... but you might want to check out the Greensboro Generals of the ECHL which would be 30 minutes away. Good luck with your choice....
Granted, I haven't been home in a few months but I think they are on hiatus, most likely not to return. Don't quote me.

I live in Guilford County now but I've only been to Winston-Salem twice. I've only been to the areas around the VA hospital and Baptist hospital (ironic) but it seems like a nicer place than High Point or Greensboro. In other words, I can't fault it, looks like a nice place to live.

HughJass* is offline   Reply With Quote